Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFP Expansion News
Bookmark and Share
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
CFP Expansion News
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...dcWKRuGjcg

A Working Group looking at the expansion of the CFP has worked up scenarios for a 6 team, 8 team, 12 team and 16 team playoff. Up to 63 different proposals on the table. CFP Executive Director Bill Hancock said the timing of the expansion is unclear but it could not happen for at least two years. According to this article there is no look in clause for the CFP contact so I'd think that any expansion could not happen until 2026 at best.

Personally I think 16 teams is too many because if you expand it that far you will erode the traditional Bowl game system too much. 8 teams seems to me to be a happy compromise. All 5 Conference Champions from the P5 leagues, the highest ranked Group of 5 Champion plus two at large so Alabama can still play for it even if they get upset in the SEC. What do you guys think?
04-29-2021 07:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
RE: CFP Expansion News
P5 champs shouldn’t get an autobid unless all FBS conferences get one. Should be the top 1-X number of teams.
04-29-2021 09:02 AM
All American

(04-29-2021 09:02 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  P5 champs shouldn’t get an autobid unless all FBS conferences get one. Should be the top 1-X number of teams.

Maybe but this Playoff still will not be ran by the NCAA so I don't think it would be that fair...
04-29-2021 09:46 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(04-29-2021 09:02 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  P5 champs shouldn’t get an autobid unless all FBS conferences get one. Should be the top 1-X number of teams.
el oh el
04-29-2021 11:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
They'll never get it right. When money runs the show, it's never right.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2021 01:08 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
04-29-2021 12:44 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
I think it has to go to at least 8 to get 1 G5 school in it
04-29-2021 01:00 PM
Advertisement

ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App
(04-29-2021 07:58 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...dcWKRuGjcg

A Working Group looking at the expansion of the CFP has worked up scenarios for a 6 team, 8 team, 12 team and 16 team playoff. Up to 63 different proposals on the table. CFP Executive Director Bill Hancock said the timing of the expansion is unclear but it could not happen for at least two years. According to this article there is no look in clause for the CFP contact so I'd think that any expansion could not happen until 2026 at best.

Personally I think 16 teams is too many because if you expand it that far you will erode the traditional Bowl game system too much. 8 teams seems to me to be a happy compromise. All 5 Conference Champions from the P5 leagues, the highest ranked Group of 5 Champion plus two at large so Alabama can still play for it even if they get upset in the SEC. What do you guys think?

i like the 5+2+1 but caveat would be last 2 seeds should be the At large. They'd always stick the G5 vs Alabama/Clemson and then point at their 30 point victories as reasons to not include G5, ignoring all the 30 point blowouts that have ahppened in the playoff era
04-29-2021 02:00 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Either conference champ games need to become part of the playoffs, or do away with them. Also, conference divisions need to go away, conference champ game should be best two in conference, not a 11-1 East agains a 7-5 west team when there is another 10-2 team on the east.
04-29-2021 02:10 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Do 16. Ten champs, six at large.

Or 12, with two at large, and give some byes or something to top seeds.
04-29-2021 02:14 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
12 would lead to only 1 G5 program, maybe 2.

Go 8 or 16, in between doesn't offer G5 much.
04-29-2021 02:21 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(04-29-2021 11:17 AM)panama Wrote:  
el oh el

I think this idea that they’re going to have 5 P5 champs, 2 at large, and give the G5 a permanent access spot in the playoffs is a lot more laughable of an idea than them just tacking on teams to their current system.
04-29-2021 02:25 PM
Advertisement

eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
16 is the perfect number. Always has been
05-01-2021 12:20 AM
CasualFanCCU Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Coastal
12 or 16 teams:
All conference champs.
Only one at-large per conference.

Zero chance it would pass, but I can dream...
05-01-2021 04:25 PM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(05-01-2021 04:25 PM)CasualFanCCU Wrote:  12 or 16 teams:
All conference champs.
Only one at-large per conference.

Zero chance it would pass, but I can dream...

04-cheers
05-01-2021 06:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

Having come from the FCS ranks and seeing it work first hand, I think it should be 16. I understand that it is a naive way of looking at it, and that "fair" is a place where they give ribbons to pigs. But if it's a National Champion, then every team should have an opportunity to get in. All conference champs and six at larges. Yes, there will be blowouts, but there are blow outs now even with only 4 teams.

Does the fact that the Super Bowl winner is never undefeated (except for once) make it less of an exciting game or make the winner less of a champion? How many times have all four #1 seeds made it to the Final Four in the same year?

Giving more teams an opportunity will only make more teams better and spread around the wealth of recruiting. If we keep it the way that it is, all 5* recruits that want to go to the playoffs will go to the same four teams and that will perpetuate the cycle over and over again.
05-03-2021 10:18 AM
Goronic Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
The only way to come across as 'fair' and keep it to reasonable number of teams/games at the end of the year is:

5 - P5 Champions
1 - Highest Ranked G5 (that is also a conference champion would be what I would add)
2 - At Large teams

8 team playoff and would guarantee that every FBS team has at least a chance at getting into the national championship game. And we already know if they went this way the top G5 would play the #1 ranked team as the 8th seed.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2021 11:44 AM by Goronic.)
05-03-2021 11:37 AM
Advertisement

Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(05-03-2021 11:37 AM)Goronic Wrote:  The only way to come across as 'fair' and keep it to reasonable number of teams/games at the end of the year is:

5 - P5 Champions
1 - Highest Ranked G5 (that is also a conference champion would be what I would add)
2 - At Large teams

8 team playoff and would guarantee that every FBS team has at least a chance at getting into the national championship game. And we already know if they went this way the top G5 would play the #1 ranked team as the 8th seed.
05-03-2021 07:33 PM
All American

(05-03-2021 11:37 AM)Goronic Wrote:  The only way to come across as 'fair' and keep it to reasonable number of teams/games at the end of the year is:

5 - P5 Champions
2 - At Large teams

I think this is the best we can hope for in the G5 at least for now. Of course this will set up the inevitable ESPN pundit line of why should this G5 get in over a Top 10 P5 no matter how good the G5 is they will probably always be pitted against the #1 or #2 seed.
05-04-2021 08:41 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(04-29-2021 07:58 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...dcWKRuGjcg

You can go to 30+ teams and people's level of interest in the Cheeze-It Bowl will not change. I would rather have more playoffs and less bowls, opens the door wider for the UCF's of the world that we all aspire to be. Without a semblance of reasonable access to the playoffs the G5 will have a hard cap on growth. We need all the chances we can get to prove "we" belong. This is not necessarily to compete with AL's but to prove to recruits and people in general that a top level G5 team just as good as going to or supporting mid tier and below P5's.
05-04-2021 08:41 AM
KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

(05-04-2021 08:41 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  

5 - P5 Champions
2 - At Large teams

I think this is the best we can hope for in the G5 at least for now. Of course this will set up the inevitable ESPN pundit line of why should this G5 get in over a Top 10 P5 no matter how good the G5 is they will probably always be pitted against the #1 or #2 seed.

Agree that this is the best we can hope for as a G5. Although not ideal, I could live with that over having NO shot at all. You're right though that we would ALWAYS be the #8 seed and the hopes of an upset are few and far between. Unless they give byes to #1 & #2 and #3 through #8 play in the "first round". Then #8 would play #3 and although still unlikely, it's at least more of a chance.
05-04-2021 08:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.