Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

In search of solid solutions
bigowlsfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
You are named head of baseball operations for Rice tomorrow with a big budget and nothing off limits. What are the first 5 things you do, to produce an NCAA tournament team in 2024? Go.
04-16-2021 06:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
RE: In search of solid solutions
You do realize the Head of Baseball Operations reports to the Head Coach, right? He has absolutely no control over the budget or anything else.
04-16-2021 07:24 PM
bigowlsfan Offline
2nd String

(04-16-2021 07:24 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  You do realize the Head of Baseball Operations reports to the Head Coach, right? He has absolutely no control over the budget or anything else.

Not in this hypothetical. D- for imagination.

I would give you an F but that would ensure you return to this class, and no one wants that.
04-16-2021 07:27 PM
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

(04-16-2021 07:27 PM)bigowlsfan Wrote:  
(04-16-2021 07:24 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  You do realize the Head of Baseball Operations reports to the Head Coach, right? He has absolutely no control over the budget or anything else.

Not in this hypothetical. D- for imagination.

I would give you an F but that would ensure you return to this class, and no one wants that.

LOL...
Walt...
03-banghead
04-16-2021 07:53 PM
Advertisement

HootyHoot2 Offline
Water Engineer

Who’s the better hire at this point, Hallmark or Berkman?
04-17-2021 10:48 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
1) talk to WG and figure out what it would take to get him involved in some way. ANY way.
2) talk to former star players, especially MLB all-stars and see what it would take to get them involved in some way. ANY way.
3) Make sure that I was in contact with former players who may have children that also play, or may know good players (may run baseball camps etc)
4) find the common ground to the above.... don't work at cross purposes... if someone won't be involved if someone else is, appeal to their 'greater good' aspect and keep those people apart. Limit the involvement to something they are comfortable with
5) Not INSIST that I know everything and that it all must be done my way... be open to suggestions and ideas, even if I disagree with them in ALMOST every aspect. It is quite often those details that make the real difference.

This is just my off the cuff reaction... hadn't put a lot of thought behind it. I'm sure there are many more avenues, but the involvement of our TONS of baseball greats would be not only paramount, but front and center. These guys MAY be involved, but it sure isn't obvious. I'd make it obvious.
04-17-2021 11:01 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

Would Hallmark or Berkman even take the job at this point? Doubt they’d want to work for JK.
04-17-2021 11:05 AM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-17-2021 11:01 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  1) talk to WG and figure out what it would take to get him involved in some way. ANY way.
2) talk to former star players, especially MLB all-stars and see what it would take to get them involved in some way. ANY way.
3) Make sure that I was in contact with former players who may have children that also play, or may know good players (may run baseball camps etc)
4) find the common ground to the above.... don't work at cross purposes... if someone won't be involved if someone else is, appeal to their 'greater good' aspect and keep those people apart. Limit the involvement to something they are comfortable with
5) Not INSIST that I know everything and that it all must be done my way... be open to suggestions and ideas, even if I disagree with them in ALMOST every aspect. It is quite often those details that make the real difference.

This is just my off the cuff reaction... hadn't put a lot of thought behind it. I'm sure there are many more avenues, but the involvement of our TONS of baseball greats would be not only paramount, but front and center. These guys MAY be involved, but it sure isn't obvious. I'd make it obvious.

For an "off the cuff reaction", I think this is a really great starting point.
04-17-2021 11:05 AM
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

(04-17-2021 11:05 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Would Hallmark or Berkman even take the job at this point? Doubt they’d want to work for JK.

I wouldn't blame them either.
04-17-2021 11:46 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(04-17-2021 11:01 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  1) talk to WG and figure out what it would take to get him involved in some way. ANY way.

1) Hire Hambone10 as Rice baseball czar.

end of list.
04-17-2021 03:28 PM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-17-2021 03:28 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

1) Hire Hambone10 as Rice AD.

end of list.

FIFY
04-17-2021 04:11 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(04-17-2021 04:11 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

1) Hire Hambone10 as Rice AD.

end of list.

FIFY

After fours years as baseball czar, promote him to AD. Make announcement in Omaha at CWS.
04-17-2021 05:29 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt

1) Hire Hambone10 as Rice baseball czar.

end of list.

What about Berkman as the Kicking Coach then?
04-18-2021 10:10 PM
wiessguy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Da Owls
To append Hambone's list, set the clear expectation for the new coach on winning percentage and conference placement. Then, work within the admissions dept to eliminate snags while staying within standards. Finally, work with the parents on the financial aid package to make Rice equally attractive to the family as another school.
04-18-2021 11:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.