Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Commissioner Gill appointed to NCAA Basketball Committee
Bookmark and Share
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
https://sunbeltsports.org/news/2021/4/15...ittee.aspx

Quote:Sun Belt Conference Commissioner Keith Gill was one of five new members appointed to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee on Thursday. Gill will serve a five-year term, encompassing the 2021-22 through 2025-26 seasons.

The Committee—which is responsible for selecting, seeding and bracketing the field for March Madness—will expand from 10 to 12 members for the 2021-22 campaign, based on a proposal adopted by the NCAA Division I Council.
04-15-2021 02:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
RE: Commissioner Gill appointed to NCAA Basketball Committee
Hmmm...
04-15-2021 02:58 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(04-15-2021 02:58 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Hmmm...

My guess is that it means nothing. Mohajir was on the football playoff committee and it didn't seem to sway anyone towards a more favorable placement of G5 teams.
04-15-2021 04:09 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Gill is perfect addition from a power conference perspective.
04-15-2021 04:20 PM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
(04-15-2021 04:20 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Gill is perfect addition from a power conference perspective.

Well stated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-16-2021 10:14 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

Nothing will make complainers happy.
04-17-2021 07:20 AM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Complaining or does the body of work support the assertion?

An individual that hasn’t fought for G5 conference members publicly is the perfect P5 rep.

He is going to ride this until we wake up or a larger conference hires him. Sweet gig.
04-17-2021 02:20 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

There's clearly nothing that Gill could do that would make 50% of y'all happy. Anything good that happens, it happened in spite of Gill. If something doesn't go the way the fandom thinks it should, it's solely Gill's fault.

The conference has just promoted some good people in areas I think will make a difference for all of our schools. But complaining about commissioners are in vogue now, I guess, so let the grumbling continue.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2021 03:42 PM by Yosef Himself.)
04-17-2021 02:57 PM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

I don’t “test the waters” of what the “in thing” to do is when I decide how I feel about a subject or an individual. My outside opinion of our commish is that he has missed some great opportunities to promote and fight for individual schools and I’m not talking about my alma mater.

04-17-2021 08:24 PM
MelRock Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisiana
The conference, in general, does not know how to promote or support the member universities. Their idea of promotion is to re-tweet the members' tweets and then they only do it for a select few of the members. In my opinion, the SBC will not move forward with the current administration, or if they do it will be in spite of them.
04-18-2021 09:25 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-18-2021 09:25 AM)MelRock Wrote:  The conference, in general, does not know how to promote or support the member universities. Their idea of promotion is to re-tweet the members' tweets and then they only do it for a select few of the members. In my opinion, the SBC will not move forward with the current administration, or if they do it will be in spite of them.

The Barstool Sun Belt account does a better job of it than the league office does.
04-18-2021 10:02 AM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-17-2021 08:24 PM)SBEagle Wrote:  I don’t “test the waters” of what the “in thing” to do is when I decide how I feel about a subject or an individual. My outside opinion of our commish is that he has missed some great opportunities to promote and fight for individual schools and I’m not talking about my alma mater.

Every single time. He is a yes man, looking for the next job.
04-18-2021 11:02 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-17-2021 02:57 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  There's clearly nothing that Gill could do that would make 50% of y'all happy. Anything good that happens, it happened in spite of Gill. If something doesn't go the way the fandom thinks it should, it's solely Gill's fault.

The conference has just promoted some good people in areas I think will make a difference for all of our schools. But complaining about commissioners are in vogue now, I guess, so let the grumbling continue.

What has the front office done to further SBC sports? Every opportunity they have to promote schools in a manner the AAC does they fall flat, or you can't find them. No radio/tv promotion interviews.

Benson wasn't the best, but you at least you knew he existed.
04-18-2021 11:05 AM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
So I guess the obvious question needs to be asked. What actually is the commissioners day to day job responsibilities? Many of you are upset that he doesn’t promote the conference the way you feel that he should, and I think that’s valid - I’d like an Aresco figure as well, but what else does he currently do? He clearly has other responsibilities, that the member schools approve of him doing to still have a job.
04-18-2021 12:32 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-18-2021 12:32 PM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  So I guess the obvious question needs to be asked. What actually is the commissioners day to day job responsibilities? Many of you are upset that he doesn’t promote the conference the way you feel that he should, and I think that’s valid - I’d like an Aresco figure as well, but what else does he currently do? He clearly has other responsibilities, that the member schools approve of him doing to still have a job.

The commissioner doesn't have a lot of powers but 2 big ones I can think of are negotiating bowl ties and promoting the league. We still don't have the bowls where we can get P5 matchups like CUSA even though they're a lesser conference from competitive standpoint and not better in terms of media rights value.

I also think more should've been at least said when App wanted to go to the Belk Bowl and got locked in with NOLA. And the sticking up for Coastal when they had a real case to get in the NY6 over Cinci was half-***ed if not nonexistent.

And even without that the fact that the Sun Belt presidents wanted him and the ADs were almost completely against him tells me everything I need to know. And there's his complete lack of radio interviews that Karl Benson at least did.

Also, check out this post from BoP. He's in a position to know,.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2021 02:47 PM by EigenEagle.)
04-18-2021 02:42 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

What does a commissioner do?

One aspect is to put the right people in the right places. Gill has cleaned out. He has promoted a number of people that are important and has hired more. ( https://sunbeltsports.org/news/2021/4/15...bers.aspx? )

Gill came in with KB's people. He now has started putting his people in place. People have been promoted and new people hired. The conference clearly has people that follow twitter and even CSNBBS because after the shitshow here mid-fall the online SBC presence has soared.

However there was zero chance App was making the Belk Bowl. Contract wouldn't allow it. The SEC was not going to forgo their date in Charlotte with the ACC. That was fantasy.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2021 05:34 PM by Yosef Himself.)
04-18-2021 05:33 PM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

If you never try change will never happen.

Last year with CCU was even worse.

He changed out personnel and it took him three years... slow clap.

Laissez faire is what we have.
04-18-2021 07:20 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(04-18-2021 07:20 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  He changed out personnel and it took him three years... slow clap.

Three years? How about less than two years, with over 13 months of that 22 months being COVID effected.
04-19-2021 10:49 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Semantics, 22 months or 36 months of laissez faire.
04-19-2021 01:34 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(04-18-2021 02:42 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(04-18-2021 12:32 PM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  So I guess the obvious question needs to be asked. What actually is the commissioners day to day job responsibilities? Many of you are upset that he doesn’t promote the conference the way you feel that he should, and I think that’s valid - I’d like an Aresco figure as well, but what else does he currently do? He clearly has other responsibilities, that the member schools approve of him doing to still have a job.

The commissioner doesn't have a lot of powers but 2 big ones I can think of are negotiating bowl ties and promoting the league. We still don't have the bowls where we can get P5 matchups like CUSA even though they're a lesser conference from competitive standpoint and not better in terms of media rights value.

I also think more should've been at least said when App wanted to go to the Belk Bowl and got locked in with NOLA. And the sticking up for Coastal when they had a real case to get in the NY6 over Cinci was half-***ed if not nonexistent.

And even without that the fact that the Sun Belt presidents wanted him and the ADs were almost completely against him tells me everything I need to know. And there's his complete lack of radio interviews that Karl Benson at least did.

Also, check out this post from BoP. He's in a position to know,.

Good points and I agree!! We need to upgrade the bowl for our champ as well. Keep the Nola Bowl, but send our #2 team there instead of our #1.
If we can get a P5 for the Nola Bowl, and have our current bowl opponent be in our #2 bowl, I would be ok with that as well.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2021 09:46 AM by DawgNBama.)
04-20-2021 09:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.