Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tina Langley leaving Rice for Washington
Bookmark and Share
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
We kind of saw this one coming - a lot of schools had been after her for awhile. She turned down Auburn apparently to take the head coaching job at Washington.

If we make the right hire to replace her, we'll still be very good next year. But it's also possible that we might lose some of our players and it might make for a harder transition.
04-05-2021 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
RE: Tina Langley leaving Rice for Washington
That sucks.

Whenever one of our teams does well, our coaches leave for the payday.

Is Mulkey going pro ?
04-05-2021 06:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalBlackTrojan Online

I Root For: TROY
That's a bummer for Rice. Any chance one of her assistants could be the next HC?

I'm surprised Rick Insell at MT has never been swayed to leave. He's a great coach. Loyalty like that is hard to find.
04-05-2021 07:40 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
I really thought she would get the lady vols job 2 years ago. Last year miss state when down to no 3 on the fans wish list. Auburn just got their no 1.
I read yesterday where mulkey was going in the draft so the timing doesn't surprise me.
04-05-2021 08:36 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Langley has been loyal - she's been offered a bunch of jobs already. She received a 4 million, 6-year contract (650 to 700K a year). That's a lot of money to turn down.

I don't think any current Rice assistants are experienced enough to get the job.

Mulkey applied for the WNBA draft so she's done with college.

In terms of other CUSA coaches staying with their schools, I think it's easier for a male coach (who coaches a women's sport) to be loyal to a school because the fact of the matter is they're becoming more and more of a dying breed. I'm not saying all head coaches of say women's basketball and volleyball teams in the future will be women, but I bet you the percentage is down to about 1/3 now (and probably used to be well over 60 or 70 percent in the past).

So the MTSU women's basketball coach and WKU volleyball coach are loyal, but the fact of the matter is that even though they're really good coaches, a lot of schools won't hire them because they're men coaching a woman's sport.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021 09:29 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
04-05-2021 09:24 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

(04-05-2021 09:24 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Langley has been loyal - she's been offered a bunch of jobs already. She received a 4 million, 6-year contract (650 to 700K a year). That's a lot of money to turn down.

I don't think any current Rice assistants are experienced enough to get the job.

In terms of other CUSA coaches staying with their schools, I think it's easier for a male coach (who coaches a women's sport) to be loyal to a school because the fact of the matter is they're becoming more and more of a dying breed. I'm not saying all head coaches of say women's basketball and volleyball teams in the future will be women, but I bet you the percentage is down to about 1/3 now (and probably used to be well over 60 or 70 percent in the past).

So the MTSU women's basketball coach and WKU volleyball coach are loyal, but the fact of the matter is that even though they're really good coaches, a lot of schools won't hire them because they're men coaching a woman's sport.

Also, for Rick, his wife has a very successful State Farm Insurance agency in Shelbyville. Plus, he is older, and probably not as prone to moving away from the grandkids.
04-06-2021 09:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Both Owl programs in CUSA are now needing a women's head coach. FAU's coach just left that school for Siena (which is an odd move, but he is from that area so maybe not).
04-07-2021 03:28 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

Am i dreaming this or did i really read where the Hayes sisters both are transferring?
04-08-2021 12:41 AM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(04-06-2021 09:55 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 09:24 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Langley has been loyal - she's been offered a bunch of jobs already. She received a 4 million, 6-year contract (650 to 700K a year). That's a lot of money to turn down.

Also, for Rick, his wife has a very successful State Farm Insurance agency in Shelbyville. Plus, he is older, and probably not as prone to moving away from the grandkids.

Rick Insell is also an alum of MT.
04-08-2021 02:38 AM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

(04-08-2021 12:41 AM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  Am i dreaming this or did i really read where the Hayes sisters both are transferring?

Yes. They are looking for the "big time". Parents trying to get another sister, who just left Notre Dame, and the other 2 on the same team. MT not good enough for them.

They transferred in high school, too, and sued previous high school on their way out.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/ed.../91996036/
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021 08:23 AM by KAjunRaider.)
04-08-2021 08:22 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Not too impressed with WKUs HC at moment. Seems to be me hes lacking in the recruiting department, not impressed. WHen MCH is fired next season at Cincy, maybe she will come back. Her and Collins complemented each other well. She could recruit and he was the X and O guy...
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021 08:38 AM by WKUFan518.)
04-08-2021 08:37 AM
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(04-08-2021 08:37 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  Not too impressed with WKUs HC at moment. Seems to be me hes lacking in the recruiting department, not impressed. WHen MCH is fired next season at Cincy, maybe she will come back. Her and Collins complemented each other well. She could recruit and he was the X and O guy...

I don’t see that happening unless you changed AD’s since she left The guy now still runs the program the way MCH did. Very respectable clean looking hound ladies Funny thing about MCH is that ole Miss offered her the job twice. She took the Cincy gig at about 200k less than ole
Miss 2nd office
04-08-2021 09:59 AM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

(04-08-2021 08:37 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  Not too impressed with WKUs HC at moment. Seems to be me hes lacking in the recruiting department, not impressed. WHen MCH is fired next season at Cincy, maybe she will come back. Her and Collins complemented each other well. She could recruit and he was the X and O guy...

Mary Taylor Cowles ? Had no idea she was at Ensworth now.

https://www.ensworth.com/athletics/meet-our-coaches

Under the direction of Coach Cowles, the Ensworth Girls' Basketball program won State Championships in 2017, 2019, and 2020
04-08-2021 11:40 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-08-2021 12:41 AM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  Am i dreaming this or did i really read where the Hayes sisters both are transferring?

All three of them (there was one at Notre Dame too) are transferring to Mississippi State.
04-08-2021 09:25 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(04-08-2021 09:25 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  

All three of them (there was one at Notre Dame too) are transferring to Mississippi State.

Texted a friend at a sec school today, everyone was expecting this from the beginning. I still be rick is pissed
04-08-2021 11:29 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(04-08-2021 11:40 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  

Mary Taylor Cowles ? Had no idea she was at Ensworth now.

https://www.ensworth.com/athletics/meet-our-coaches

Under the direction of Coach Cowles, the Ensworth Girls' Basketball program won State Championships in 2017, 2019, and 2020

No, Michelle Clark heard, still scratching my head she's at Cincy. Cincy athletics is a mess besides football program.
04-09-2021 08:10 AM
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

(04-08-2021 11:29 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(04-08-2021 09:25 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  

Texted a friend at a sec school today, everyone was expecting this from the beginning. I still be rick is pissed

They'll be the most-hated athletes in our town for a looong time (they went to high school here). Of course, vawl fans detest them.

That said, I think Rick knew this was a possible outcome. I"ve heard the father has threatened to pull his girls off of our team on more than one occasion. He wants to control whichever team his girls are on.

There's a 4th daughter coming out of high school.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2021 08:27 AM by KAjunRaider.)
04-09-2021 08:26 AM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

We may have to have a suicide watch in Ruston.

Kim Mulkey is expected to be announced at lsu tomorrow.
04-22-2021 06:54 PM
deb025 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(04-22-2021 06:54 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  We may have to have a suicide watch in Ruston.

Kim Mulkey is expected to be announced at lsu tomorrow.

Doesn't make me any difference. She left Tech a long time ago. It's not like we would've been able to afford her for very long anyways.
04-22-2021 07:35 PM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
Rice hires Lindsay Edmonds, Associate Head Coach at NC State. NC State finished 22-3 this year and has made the Sweet 16 in 2018, 2019, and 2021.
04-23-2021 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.