Exclamation Spring Football Game
04-04-2021 06:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Spring Football Game
"lots of picks" ... don't know if that's a good sign for the defense, or a bad sign for the QBs.

In the presser, Candle had nice words for Finn, Blankumsee, Long, Bisek, Ateman, Dyonte Johnson and Bolden.

In talking about the QBs, Candle mentioned Finn, Bradley, Gleason, Hall and even Gucciardo and said they'll see which of those 5 wins the starting job. So what happened to Peters?
04-04-2021 06:56 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

The Blade article says there are 13 of last year's seniors that are back, but the on-line roster lists 16. I guess that means 3 of those listed are not coming back.

Peters' twitter says he is a "University of Toledo Football Alum", so does that mean he changed his mind and is not taking the extra year?

Who are the other two?
04-04-2021 07:08 PM
PrettyGoodRocket Offline
Special Teams

(04-04-2021 07:08 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  The Blade article says there are 13 of last year's seniors that are back, but the on-line roster lists 16. I guess that means 3 of those listed are not coming back.

Peters' twitter says he is a "University of Toledo Football Alum", so does that mean he changed his mind and is not taking the extra year?

Who are the other two?

Very interesting on Peters... Thought he'd be the leader in the clubhouse in the QB room going into this year.
04-04-2021 09:31 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Peters is done playing football, but still with the program as he was coaching during the spring game.

The picks were thrown by Gavin Hall (2) & Gucciardo (3). Finn looked like the biggest threat at QB, there's just something about running QBs. Bradley had some nice throws. The GT transfer didn't play enough for me to get a good grasp on his capabilities, maybe played just 1 or 2 series.

Defense played sound. Coach Kool seems to be getting the job done there. I think we found ourselves a gem in Penn State transfer, Judge Culpepper. He's big and intimidating, and has a real strong burst through the middle.

Run game was unimpressive. O-line still seems to be lacking at making that first push and then opening up holes. There were numerous occasions where the offense was stuffed on 3rd & short.

Thomas Cluckey handled all the kicking duties, made all his kicks...but I wonder whatever happened to our scholarship kicker Evan Davis. Didn't he go MIA during this past season?
04-04-2021 10:48 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(04-04-2021 10:48 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  Peters is done playing football, but still with the program as he was coaching during the spring game.

The picks were thrown by Gavin Hall (2) & Gucciardo (3). Finn looked like the biggest threat at QB, there's just something about running QBs. Bradley had some nice throws. The GT transfer didn't play enough for me to get a good grasp on his capabilities, maybe played just 1 or 2 series.

Defense played sound. Coach Kool seems to be getting the job done there. I think we found ourselves a gem in Penn State transfer, Judge Culpepper. He's big and intimidating, and has a real strong burst through the middle.

Run game was unimpressive. O-line still seems to be lacking at making that first push and then opening up holes. There were numerous occasions where the offense was stuffed on 3rd & short.

Thomas Cluckey handled all the kicking duties, made all his kicks...but I wonder whatever happened to our scholarship kicker Evan Davis. Didn't he go MIA during this past season?

Gleason (GT Transfer) played quite a bit...he was #11 on the Blue squad and ran the number 2 offense for most of the scrimmage.
04-05-2021 08:12 AM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(04-04-2021 10:48 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  Peters is done playing football, but still with the program as he was coaching during the spring game.

We had a running QB, Guadagni, and a good one when he was healthy, which was about every third game. That’s what I remember about running QBs.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021 08:39 AM by H2Oville Rocket.)
04-05-2021 08:38 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

(04-05-2021 08:38 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

We had a running QB, Guadagni, and a good one when he was healthy, which was about every third game. That’s what I remember about running QBs.

LOLOLOLOLOL.... but sadly 100% accurate.

I find it very interesting that Finn is getting such heavy reps/looks in spring practice. UT must still think he can do the job and that is why he is still here. Quite a few on this board expected him to transfer due to lack of PT. I'm 100% unsure of what is happening at QB. It must be a big time battle between Finn, Bradley , and Gleason. I thought CB had it in the bag due to his starting the last two games of 2020 but maybe not.

I was surprised to see Peters listed on the 2021 spring roster so i'm equally not surprised to see him not active. However, I'm very glad he is still tied to program. It sounds like he wants to coach. I get it. It's super addictive especially when its over its totally over unlike any other sport.

Go Rockets!
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021 12:01 PM by IamN2daRockets!.)
04-05-2021 12:00 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(04-04-2021 06:56 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  "lots of picks" ... don't know if that's a good sign for the defense, or a bad sign for the QBs.

In the presser, Candle had nice words for Finn, Blankumsee, Long, Bisek, Ateman, Dyonte Johnson and Bolden.

In talking about the QBs, Candle mentioned Finn, Bradley, Gleason, Hall and even Gucciardo and said they'll see which of those 5 wins the starting job. So what happened to Peters?

was controlled scrimmage, not so sure one can read much into significance of INTs
04-05-2021 12:28 PM
utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

I wouldn't be surprised that the coaches wanted to get a close look at Finn and Gleason and get them a lot of reps. If Bradley is the starting QB they really didn't need to see scrimmage reps with him as he knows the offense and has many times more game reps than any current QB on staff. It may be between Gleason and Finn for number 2.
04-05-2021 02:04 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

The 1 O vs 1 D was very limited and there was no tackling...full go, but nothing more than touch on the ball carrier. All other series between the 2's and 3's were full game type situations...thought there were some nice plays, solid hits and quite a bit of enthusiasm and friendly battles, which is always fun to see. Finn and Gleason definitely got their opportunities to run the offense. Tough to gauge Finn's runs considering that QB's were off limits...not saying that he would not have had the same runs, but it's tough to measure when the D knows that they can't lay a hand on the QB.
04-05-2021 02:28 PM
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(04-05-2021 08:12 AM)TampaRocket Wrote:  

Gleason (GT Transfer) played quite a bit...he was #11 on the Blue squad and ran the number 2 offense for most of the scrimmage.

Ohhh, I thought #11 was Hall. My mistake. Hall must've been #6, who I thought was Gleason.
04-05-2021 10:29 PM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

Next year hinges on the offensive line.
04-05-2021 10:51 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(04-05-2021 10:29 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 08:12 AM)TampaRocket Wrote:  

Ohhh, I thought #11 was Hall. My mistake. Hall must've been #6, who I thought was Gleason.

Yes, Hall was 6...think he got a series or two towards the end.
04-06-2021 07:20 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

The season does hinge on the O line... no doubt about it it. I totally agree.

I am still not sold on Bradley. I still think there will be some rotation at QB. Finn is a completely different breed of QB so if he gets significant snaps it will be interesting to see how the O coordinator handles this issue.

Bradley still has three full seasons at UT to mature. He might be a six season player due to RS and Covid. He has time.

Go Rockets!
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021 09:18 AM by IamN2daRockets!.)
04-06-2021 08:04 AM
Babes boy Offline
1st String

(04-06-2021 08:04 AM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  The season does hinge on the O line... no doubt about it it. I totally agree.

I am still not sold on Bradley. I still think there will be some rotation at QB. Finn is a completely different breed of QB so if he gets significant snaps it will be interesting to see how the O coordinator handles this issue.

Bradley still has three full seasons at UT to mature. He might be a six season player due to RS and Covid. He has time.

Go Rockets!

Not getting a chance to watch the spring game. Using Finn at QB means nothing if all he does is run. He will need to pass in order to keep the defense from stuffing the box.
04-06-2021 10:02 AM
Advertisement

Rocket75 Offline
1st String

Some MAC teams have used a passing QB for most situations and a running QB in other situations. The defense should of course be alert to this but the switch has worked against UT several times over the years.
04-06-2021 10:18 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Bradley's 164.1 passing efficiency rating would have
ranked him #13 in FBS. That was right below #12 Trevor Lawrence.
04-06-2021 10:21 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

I get it Boca but it was against an abysmal 0-6 NIU team and a 3-3 CMU team that was not as good as 3-3 indicated

Hey- I want him to succeed as he was much touted upon arrived (e-11 and such).

Go Rockets!
04-06-2021 12:16 PM
toledobigmike Offline
1st String

(04-06-2021 10:21 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Bradley's 164.1 passing efficiency rating would have
ranked him #13 in FBS. That was right below #12 Trevor Lawrence.

I’d be SHOCKED if a healthy Bradley isn’t the QB1 come august.
04-06-2021 02:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.