Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WKU/UAB Fans...
Bookmark and Share
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
WKU/UAB Fans...
Driving from Michigan down to Gulf Shores, AL. What are the best places to eat in Bowling Green and Birmingham?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
04-03-2021 06:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: WKU/UAB Fans...
Bowling green has a ton of great places to eat, depending on if your saying for the night or just need a passing through quick good meal. Which will it be for you?
04-03-2021 06:29 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

WKU/UAB Fans...
We are driving through, probably staying somewhere in between

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2021 06:37 PM by UTSAMarineVet09.)
04-03-2021 06:37 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
I would suggest stopping in downtown Nashville on your way down and take in a great dinner at Kane Prime. You won't regret it.

https://www.mstreetnashville.com/kayne-prime
04-03-2021 08:07 PM
Blazer Engineer Offline
Skull Splitter

I Root For: UAB
In Bham it depends on what you want. BBq there is a ton of choices. My pick is SAWs. Meat and 3, then Nikis west. If you are up for a 10 minute detour before Bham then its Top Hat bbq, old school bbq I grew up on. There may be a visitor guide on Blazer Talk.
04-03-2021 08:29 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

(04-03-2021 06:37 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  We are driving through, probably staying somewhere in between

Look up a place called Double Dog’s in Bowling Green. It’s a 5 minute drive off Exit 22 and a great local owned sports bar and grill
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2021 08:34 PM by wkuhilltopperfan.)
04-03-2021 08:34 PM
Advertisement

wkufirst Offline
Bench Warmer

El Mazaltan would also be a great local option. Right off exit 22 on Cumberland Trace Road in Bowling Green.
04-03-2021 10:39 PM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

if you do not mind a short 11 mile detour Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur is arguably the best BBQ in the country. I have driven their for take out and its over a three hour round trip from my house. Anytime I am traveling home down I 65 I detour to Decatur for Big Bob Gibsons for ribs. go to the website and look at the awards section. it will tell you all you need to know
04-04-2021 07:33 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Don't detour. There are way too many good places to eat in Birmingham to take a 10 to 12 mile detour. Saw's, Rodney Scott, Jim N Nicks (cheese biscuits should be against the law for being so good) or Full Moon for barbecue. Ya Mama's if you want the best chicken and waffles in the Southeast. Jack Brown's for a damn good burger. And all of these places are in Downtown Birmingham so you wouldn't have to deviate too far from your trip.
04-04-2021 10:38 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

(04-04-2021 10:38 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  Don't detour. There are way too many good places to eat in Birmingham to take a 10 to 12 mile detour. Saw's, Rodney Scott, Jim N Nicks (cheese biscuits should be against the law for being so good) or Full Moon for barbecue. Ya Mama's if you want the best chicken and waffles in the Southeast. Jack Brown's for a damn good burger. And all of these places are in Downtown Birmingham so you wouldn't have to deviate too far from your trip.

have you had the ribs from BBG? or their smoked turkey? Full Moon is my go to and I eat their several times a month but it aint BBG.
04-04-2021 06:36 PM
MAN4UAB Offline
All American

(04-04-2021 06:36 PM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  
(04-04-2021 10:38 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  Don't detour. There are way too many good places to eat in Birmingham to take a 10 to 12 mile detour. Saw's, Rodney Scott, Jim N Nicks (cheese biscuits should be against the law for being so good) or Full Moon for barbecue. Ya Mama's if you want the best chicken and waffles in the Southeast. Jack Brown's for a damn good burger. And all of these places are in Downtown Birmingham so you wouldn't have to deviate too far from your trip.

have you had the ribs from BBG? or their smoked turkey? Full Moon is my go to and I eat their several times a month but it aint BBG.

I am with HD that there is no need to take a detour. There are plenty of good places in B’ham. I would include The Fish Market and Eugene’s Hot Chicken along with those listed.

I was disappointed with my meal at Big Bob’s. The baked beans tasted to me like they just opened up a can of pork and beans. I didn’t taste any smoke in the pulled pork and, sadly, the famous white sauce came out of a bottle that I could buy at piggly wiggley rather than being made fresh in the restaurant. The food that I ate did not win all those trophies displayed in front.
04-04-2021 07:15 PM
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
(04-03-2021 10:39 PM)wkufirst Wrote:  El Mazaltan would also be a great local option. Right off exit 22 on Cumberland Trace Road in Bowling Green.

If you want Mexican I think Los Mariachis is way better (by Shoe Carnival, not far from exit 22).

For BBQ I would say Nine Twenty Live (also not far from exit 22).

Montana Grill is great. Mariah's. The Bistro. Hickory & Oak. Wild Eggs (a chain but a small one).

Any particular kind of food you like?
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2021 08:41 PM by Hilltopper2K.)
04-04-2021 08:21 PM
FAU Connoisseur! Offline
1st String

I Root For: #CometotheFAU
Sonny's BBQ is a hidden gem of the South.
04-05-2021 08:48 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

WKU/UAB Fans...
We stopped at Bucky Bees BBQ in Mammoth Cave on our way down, so on our way back we’ll try some of the places mentioned.

04-05-2021 08:57 AM
UABrandon Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB/Arizona
Ms Myra's BBQ
04-05-2021 10:26 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(04-04-2021 07:15 PM)MAN4UAB Wrote:  
(04-04-2021 06:36 PM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  

I am with HD that there is no need to take a detour. There are plenty of good places in B’ham. I would include The Fish Market and Eugene’s Hot Chicken along with those listed.

I was disappointed with my meal at Big Bob’s. The baked beans tasted to me like they just opened up a can of pork and beans. I didn’t taste any smoke in the pulled pork and, sadly, the famous white sauce came out of a bottle that I could buy at piggly wiggley rather than being made fresh in the restaurant. The food that I ate did not win all those trophies displayed in front.

Agreed. And I live about 30 minutes from Decatur. I do not think it’s anything special.
04-05-2021 11:19 AM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion

Jack Brown's has some interesting Burgers.
04-05-2021 11:36 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

WKU/UAB Fans...
We are looking for some BBQ/seafood places to try. We are thinking about getting some crawfish. Haven’t had some since we moved from Houston a couple of years back.

04-05-2021 11:48 AM
MAN4UAB Offline
All American

(04-05-2021 11:48 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  We are looking for some BBQ/seafood places to try. We are thinking about getting some crawfish. Haven’t had some since we moved from Houston a couple of years back.

There is a Pappadeux near the 280/I-459 junction. Since you lived in Houston, you may be familiar with them. I thought that it was pretty good the last time that I ate there.
04-05-2021 12:54 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

(04-05-2021 08:57 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  We stopped at Bucky Bees BBQ in Mammoth Cave on our way down, so on our way back we’ll try some of the places mentioned.

So what did you think about our crazy caves?
04-05-2021 01:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.