Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Who retires next?
Coach K
Jim Boeheim
Jim Larranaga
Leonard Hamilton
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Who is the next ACC hoops coach to retire?
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Who is the next ACC hoops coach to retire?
With Roy Williams retiring today, who do you think will be the next ACC coach to hang it up?
04-01-2021 09:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
RE: Who is the next ACC hoops coach to retire?
Boeheim will continue to coach his son. But he is older than the rest.
04-01-2021 09:53 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
I wouldn't be surprised if Larranaga hangs it up before next season starts.
04-01-2021 11:33 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
MyBB RE: Who is the next ACC hoops coach to retire?
(04-01-2021 11:33 PM)esayem Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised if Larranaga hangs it up before next season starts.

+1

...and Coach K is on the clock.

Coach Boeheim is just waiting on his son to graduate, I think.

So it'll be 4 new coaches before long.
04-02-2021 07:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
If anybody wants to upgrade ... the GTAA will accept your generous offers in the low 8 figure range to take away Pastner.

If that's too steep for you don't worry. We here at the GTAA have a certified used section. And wouldn't you know it, we happen to have a Brian Gregory and a Paul Hewitt in inventory. Want to sign all the biggest recruits through bag men? Consider our Hewitt model. It just might get you to the title game! A bargain and a steal at a 7 year perpetually renewing perpetually increasing contract.

Still too steep? Well consider our Gregory model! You'll never lose to your rival but also never have a winning season. But man you'll play hard and you'll produce all the right sound bites in pressers. Just $750,000!
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2021 09:41 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
04-02-2021 09:29 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-02-2021 09:29 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  If anybody wants to upgrade ... the GTAA will accept your generous offers in the low 8 figure range to take away Pastner.

If that's too steep for you don't worry. We here at the GTAA have a certified used section. And wouldn't you know it, we happen to have a Brian Gregory and a Paul Hewitt in inventory. Want to sign all the biggest recruits through bag men? Consider our Hewitt model. It just might get you to the title game! A bargain and a steal at a 7 year perpetually renewing perpetually increasing contract.

Still too steep? Well consider our Gregory model! You'll never lose to your rival but also never have a winning season. But man you'll play hard and you'll produce all the right sound bites in pressers. Just $750,000!

There you go, UNC fans... you can pick up the defending ACC Tournament Champion Coach for a song!
07-coffee3
04-02-2021 11:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

(04-02-2021 09:29 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  If anybody wants to upgrade ... the GTAA will accept your generous offers in the low 8 figure range to take away Pastner.

You are too desperate.

Winning the ACC championship should give Pastner immunity from this form of hazing for at least 6 months.
04-02-2021 03:38 PM
Chris02m1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Syracuse
(04-02-2021 07:35 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(04-01-2021 11:33 PM)esayem Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised if Larranaga hangs it up before next season starts.

+1

he will coach until he gets past the win total that ncaa took from him for sure
04-02-2021 05:49 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(04-02-2021 07:35 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

+1

Boeheim will be the last of the 5 to retire.
04-02-2021 05:59 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
Chrislords, I love you as a poster man, but I hope you are SO very wrong.
04-02-2021 07:05 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I would bet that Leonard Hamilton is the last of this group to retire.

Dude looks like he's in his 40's. And his last 5 years have been his most successful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Hamilton
04-02-2021 08:18 PM
Advertisement

Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

(04-02-2021 08:18 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  I would bet that Leonard Hamilton is the last of this group to retire.

Dude looks like he's in his 40's. And his last 5 years have been his most successful.

Agree. At least from afar it appears that Hamilton is really enjoying his tenure. Lots of recruits, teams are performing better, favorable media stories.

The other coaches (Boeheim, Krzyzewski and Larranaga) are portrayed as going through root canal. Their jobs are somehow chores that they must endure until they are ready to retire. Unfortunate injuries, player relations or COVID are burdening their careers.
04-03-2021 03:36 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(04-03-2021 03:36 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  
(04-02-2021 08:18 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  I would bet that Leonard Hamilton is the last of this group to retire.

Agree. At least from afar it appears that Hamilton is really enjoying his tenure. Lots of recruits, teams are performing better, favorable media stories.

The other coaches (Boeheim, Krzyzewski and Larranaga) are portrayed as going through root canal. Their jobs are somehow chores that they must endure until they are ready to retire. Unfortunate injuries, player relations or COVID are burdening their careers.

Translation: Hamilton's winning. The others (outside of Syracuse's Sweet 16 run) aren't.

I'm surprised Roy wanted to go out like this.
04-03-2021 04:20 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Hamilton back in the 70’s when he was on Joe Hall’s staff. I swear the guy hasn’t aged a day. I too believe he will stick around for a while. He’s the basketball coach at a perennial football power. Most of the focus has been on football in Tallahassee since Jimbo left.

Coach Hamilton just keeps working and winning. His success the last 4 or 5 years is well deserved. I like seeing one of the good guys succeed.
04-06-2021 05:42 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Mike Brey said that he is not going to retire and will be back next year.

Mixed feelings on this. He had a great career but has dipped lately.

(Ironic after an ACC Championship, two Elite 8's and his best recruiting class, but it happened).

ND football, baseball and lacrosse are performing well.

Basketball has underperformed and ND needs to think about what it takes to change that.
04-11-2021 07:58 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(04-11-2021 07:58 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Mike Brey said that he is not going to retire and will be back next year.

(Ironic after an ACC Championship, two Elite 8's and his best recruiting class, but it happened).

Basketball has underperformed and ND needs to think about what it takes to change that.

Notre Dame fans don't seem too interested in basketball. It seemed different 40-50 years ago.
04-11-2021 09:03 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(04-11-2021 09:03 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(04-11-2021 07:58 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Mike Brey said that he is not going to retire and will be back next year.

Notre Dame fans don't seem too interested in basketball. It seemed different 40-50 years ago.

I grew up on an independent ND basketball team on NBC on Sundays playing Kentucky, DePaul and UCLA in big, nationally impactful games.

Dick Enberg, Al Maguire and Billy Packer on the call.

Austin Carr, Dwight Clay, Adrian Dantley, John Shumate, Kelly Tripucka, Orlando Woolridge, Bill Laimbeer, Bill Hanzlik, etc...

A Final Four finish in 1978.

Ending UCLA's huge winning streak in 1974.

That is when ND fans were interested in basketball.

Since then, the saying among ND fans has been that "Basketball is just something to kill the time between football season and spring football."

Thus, ND basketball sat for a few decades moldering in an old arena, no practice facility and boring basketball in the later Digger Phelps and in the John McCleod years.

ND has never made basketball a priority nor invested too much money in it over the recent decades.

ND fans would and will be interested if ND wins big again.

They started to do so again in 2014-15 when the Irish won the ACC and had two straight Elite 8 finishes.

Jerian Grant, Pat Connaughton and Demetrious Jackson started to excite lots of fans.

Then......trapdoor (there falls all the new potential fans).

Mike Brey got stale and so has his program.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2021 11:58 AM by TerryD.)
04-11-2021 11:44 AM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(04-11-2021 11:44 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(04-11-2021 09:03 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

I grew up on an independent ND basketball team on NBC on Sundays playing Kentucky, DePaul and UCLA in big, nationally impactful games.

Dick Enberg, Al Maguire and Billy Packer on the call.

Austin Carr, Dwight Clay, Adrian Dantley, John Shumate, Kelly Tripucka, Orlando Woolridge, Bill Laimbeer, Bill Hanzlik, etc...

A Final Four finish in 1978.

Ending UCLA's huge winning streak in 1974.

That is when ND fans were interested in basketball.

Since then, the saying among ND fans has been that "Basketball is just something to kill the time between football season and spring football."

Thus, ND basketball sat for a few decades moldering in an old arena, no practice facility and boring basketball in the later Digger Phelps and in the John McCleod years.

ND has never made basketball a priority nor invested too much money in it over the recent decades.

ND fans would and will be interested if ND wins big again.

They started to do so again in 2014-15 when the Irish won the ACC and had two straight Elite 8 finishes.

Jerian Grant, Pat Connaughton and Demetrious Jackson started to excite lots of fans.

Then......trapdoor (there falls all the new potential fans).

Mike Brey got stale and so has his program.

The Big Four Classic (I think that's what it was called) back in the day was fun too ... Indiana, Notre Dame, Louisville, and Kentucky in a double header, and switching opponents in the following year.

Just googled it ... and found half of the results. Looks like it ran from 1987 - 1990. Neutral site in Indianapolis.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statist...assic.html

Found this on it too ... https://www.vintageindysports.com/produc...notre-dame
04-11-2021 08:28 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

Well ... THIS poll was wrong ....
06-02-2021 01:15 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-02-2021 01:15 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Well ... THIS poll was wrong ....

At least one person knew that K was "on the clock" to retire.

Pretty soon UNC, Duke, Syracuse and Miami will all have new MBB head coaches, and Leonard will have seniority over the conference.
06-02-2021 02:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.