Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Legendary college football coach Howard Schnellenberger dies at 87
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Legendary college football coach Howard Schnellenberger dies at 87
Since he meant so much to Miami and Louisville, I thought it was worth posting.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...er-dies-87
03-27-2021 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

voss749 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FAU
RE: Legendary college football coach Howard Schnellenberger dies at 87
(03-27-2021 09:39 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Since he meant so much to Miami and Louisville, I thought it was worth posting.

Schnelly literally created the entire Florida Atlantic program
03-27-2021 12:46 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Legendary college football coach Howard Schnellenberger dies at 87
(03-27-2021 09:39 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Since he meant so much to Miami and Louisville, I thought it was worth posting.

From the article ... But sitting out one year from coaching afforded him an opportunity to go home to Louisville, where he became head coach in 1985. He promised national championships there too, and though he didn't win any, he revitalized a program that was in worse shape than Miami was when he took over. During his 10 years as head coach, Louisville won a Fiesta Bowl and Schnellenberger spearheaded the construction of an on-campus stadium. The current football complex bears his name.

Schnelly took over a Louisville program that had lost to Murray State, Indiana State and Tennessee State the season before, and salvaged the football program.

Without Schnelly ...
... there is NO new football stadium;
... there is NO Fiesta Bowl victory;
... there is NO Orange Bowl victory;
... there is NO Sugar Bowl victory;
... there is NO invitations to the Big East and ACC conferences;
... and there is NO Lamar Jackson and the Heisman Trophy.

I realize he did more in less time at Miami, but what he did in Louisville is freakin' miraculous.

The guy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, despite his winning percentage, a stupid measuring stick the HOF has in place.

Locally, Louisville has lost two huge football giants ... Paul Hornung last year, and now Howard Schnellenberger today. Those guys were one year apart at Flaget High School. I can't imagine lining up against those two in high school.

RIP Coach. Thanks for instilling your dream in the rest of us.
03-27-2021 07:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.