Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Future of the Running Backs Room
Bookmark and Share
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: William & Mary
Thinking about our future running back room, I'm wondering where these game reps are going to come from (if they all stick around). I'd like to be greedy and keep them all, but some are going to come up short in opportunities.

Glancing at the known 21-22 Roster:
Wright - senior
Lester - junior
Imoh - soph
Lucas - frosh
Burns - junior
Grimes - soph
Lasore - soph (or RS frosh)
Murray - soph (or RS frosh)

The upperclass studs of Wright & Lester will get their carries. Imoh is so dynamic that he needs to be on the field. I'd love to find ways to get him catches in the open field and let him make things happen. Lucas' mix of size and speed will get him on the field early. The rest are truly unknowns. Grimes & Burns have talent & playing experience, but I'm not sure they can crack the rotation without a lot of injuries. Lasore and/or Murray are scout team redshirt type guys. Doubtful it occurs, but this doesn't even take into account any additional RBs added in the late signing period or via transfer.
03-21-2021 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

Many RBs also played at LB in HS, so a couple may move to that group. FB and ST are options but not super sexy roles. Maybe a H-back/hybrid position?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
03-21-2021 09:26 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm excited to be able to post In my threads in the future "IMO, Imoh..."
03-21-2021 09:29 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Future of the Running Backs Room
(03-21-2021 09:26 AM)Tribal Wrote:  Many RBs also played at LB in HS, so a couple may move to that group. FB and ST are options but not super sexy roles. Maybe a H-back/hybrid position?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Probably the likely outcome. I didn't pay close enough attention to these guys ST roles or impact. They could be studs. Just saying from a RB perspective. Again, haven't put a great deal of study in, but I'd think a jump in weight would be necessary to make that jump to college LB.
03-21-2021 09:34 AM
Advertisement

billymac Offline
Heisman

With Mike Imoh (Va Tech) as your uncle, you know you've got some good genes to work with. He was a human highlight film yesterday.
03-21-2021 09:37 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-21-2021 09:37 AM)billymac Wrote:  He was a human highlight film yesterday.
Those burst plays were all over his HS Hudl highlights. He was knocked for level of competition, but those traits translate to any level.
03-21-2021 09:46 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
You can see that Taylor's offense sends backs out on actual pass routes. I could easily see two or even three RB/HB sets with one in motion or in the slot.
03-21-2021 09:49 AM
Advertisement

WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
(03-21-2021 08:58 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Thinking about our future running back room, I'm wondering where these game reps are going to come from (if they all stick around). I'd like to be greedy and keep them all, but some are going to come up short in opportunities.

Glancing at the known 21-22 Roster:
Wright - senior
Lester - junior
Imoh - soph
Lucas - frosh
Burns - junior
Grimes - soph
Lasore - soph (or RS frosh)
Murray - soph (or RS frosh)

The upperclass studs of Wright & Lester will get their carries. Imoh is so dynamic that he needs to be on the field. I'd love to find ways to get him catches in the open field and let him make things happen. Lucas' mix of size and speed will get him on the field early. The rest are truly unknowns. Grimes & Burns have talent & playing experience, but I'm not sure they can crack the rotation without a lot of injuries. Lasore and/or Murray are scout team redshirt type guys. Doubtful it occurs, but this doesn't even take into account any additional RBs added in the late signing period or via transfer.

Just to clarify, is the year that you are showing next to each player what they will be when they step on the field for the first game of the 2022 season in September 2022? Case in point is Imoh, who I believe is a true Freshman this year and, I think, would get to be a true Freshman all over again in the fall of this year.
03-21-2021 10:03 AM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(03-21-2021 09:46 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
Those burst plays were all over his HS Hudl highlights. He was knocked for level of competition, but those traits translate to any level.

Lucas suffer that fate as well given his competition? I checked out a couple of his runs, and once into the def. backfield, a 140# or 150# DB is not going to get him down. One play he blew through the DB into the end zone, the DB looked back at his team and shrugged his arms/shoulder. I would not want to have to tackle him with a head of steam.
03-21-2021 11:51 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-21-2021 11:51 AM)TribeNomad Wrote:  
(03-21-2021 09:46 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  

Lucas suffer that fate as well given his competition? I checked out a couple of his runs, and once into the def. backfield, a 140# or 150# DB is not going to get him down. One play he blew through the DB into the end zone, the DB looked back at his team and shrugged his arms/shoulder. I would not want to have to tackle him with a head of steam.
I think most D1 running backs make typical high school defenders seem overwhelmed. I'm sure the coaches look at traits that translate to any level of football- speed, athleticism, vision, cutting ability, size, etc. Imoh, and Lucas for that matter, aren't going to overwhelm legit college athletes every play, but their strengths can cause fits at any level. Track fast running backs that can cut on a dime never go out of style. And I promise it's never fun trying to take on a 240-250 lbs RB at speed no matter if you are playing high school or the NFL.
03-21-2021 12:36 PM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

Lucas will have better training and fitness at the collegiate level. I expect him to improve physically just like the rest of the 18 year olds who become 22 year olds. I know that sounds scary, but that's what should happen.
03-21-2021 02:20 PM
Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M
(03-21-2021 02:20 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Lucas will have better training and fitness at the collegiate level. I expect him to improve physically just like the rest of the 18 year olds who become 22 year olds. I know that sounds scary, but that's what should happen.

Lucas will get improved quickness and cardio. As far as strength is concerned he currently benches 405, squats 600 and has a 315 clean.
03-21-2021 02:32 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

(03-21-2021 02:32 PM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  
(03-21-2021 02:20 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Lucas will have better training and fitness at the collegiate level. I expect him to improve physically just like the rest of the 18 year olds who become 22 year olds. I know that sounds scary, but that's what should happen.

Lucas will get improved quickness and cardio. As far as strength is concerned he currently benches 405, squats 600 and has a 315 clean.

Agreed. That was the reference to fitness. I also think agility. Those measureables are nuts.
03-21-2021 02:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.