Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College basketball offseason
Bookmark and Share
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
College basketball offseason
The offseason has begun already for some schools.

Here's who I see has mentioned they're transferring so far. I'm just mentioning the guys who played this season for a CUSA team. And I just want to focus on new announcements since there are likely a lot of transfers yet to come.

GOING OUT

Jarrod West, Iran Bennett, Jannson Williams - Marshall. West and Williams will be grad transfers. West was a 2nd-team all-conference player his senior year and third-team all-conference as a junior. Williams was a 3-year starter. Bennett only played in 1 game this past season but started 30 games in 2019-20.

Jordan Davis, Tyson Jackson, Jayce Johnson, Dontrell Shuler - Middle Tennessee - Davis is a pretty significant loss for them. Led MTSU in minutes played this year and was 2nd in scoring (11 points a game). Had originally played at Dayton so he'll be moving onto his third team. Jackson played quite a bit as a freshman; playing time was pretty much halved his sophomore year. Johnson has 58 starts in his MTSU career but his numbers were down this past year. Shuler only played in 12 games before getting hurt and missing the rest of the season, but he did lead MTSU in scoring this past season.

Jordan Shepherd, Caleb Byrd, Caleb Stone-Carrawell - Charlotte - both Calebs were young players who didn't play a ton of minutes (but a Charlotte poster expanded on their abilities in a later post). Shepherd was a two-year starter and the team's leading scorer in 2019-20 (and 2nd this past year). Originally a transfer from Oklahoma, he's probably going to play a 5th year at a 3rd school.

Payton Moore - Rice - has had moments in his 3-year Rice career but never could really break into the starting lineup or get huge minutes. Will play his senior season probably back on the west coast (he's from Los Angeles)

Antonio Daye Jr., Dimon Carrington, Bernie Andre, Anthony Mason, Cameron Corcoran, DJ Mitchell - FIU - Daye announced he was transferring prior to the FIU season being over. Was their leading scorer at 17 points a game, and a 3-year starter, but I don't have much respect for someone who quits on his teammates and school before the season is over. Carrington was FIU's leading rebounder. Andre only played in 7 games (2 starts). Mason averaged 3.3 points per game. Corcoran 3.7 points per game. Mitchell 4.6 points per game (1 start).

Luka Barisic, Jaja Sanni, Eric Parrish - UTSA - Barisic will be a grad transfer. Started and played more as a junior than senior. Sanni didn't play much as a freshman. His dad played at Arizona and Rice. Parrish was a part-time starter and decent contributor at the beginning of the season for UTSA, but his playing time and production decreased as the season went on.

Malik Curry, Joseph Reece, Alfis Pilavios, David Strother, Xavier Green - Old Dominion - Curry led ODU in scoring and assists the past two seasons. I'm assuming he's going to be a grad transfer? Reece is a fairly significant loss. He was a 2-year starter. Pilavios is another grad transfer? He played sparingly at ODU. Strother was a senior transfer who didn't play much in 2020-21. Green is a fairly big loss as a grad. transfer. He was a 3-year starter whose best year was his junior year when he averaged 12 points a game.

Tyreek Scott-Grayson, Jalen Benjamin, Kassim Nicholson, Simeon Kirkland, Tobias Rotegard, Koby Jeffries - UAB - Scott-Grayson was a starter as a sophomore and junior (although his numbers were slightly better in 2019-20 than this past year). Benjamin averaged 9 points a game. Nicholson started 23 games and was the team's 2nd leading rebounder (6.7 per game). The other three didn't play much in 20-21.

Jailyn Ingram, Kenan Blackshear - FAU - Ingram was a 5-year starter (!) for the Owls who was their leading scorer (12.3) and rebounder (6.1) this past year. Will play a 6th year as a grad transfer somewhere else. Really can't blame him for leaving. He's done a lot for FAU and came back for two seasons after getting hurt in 2018-19. Blackshear was also a starter who averaged 9.5 points and 4.2 rebounds a game as a sophomore.

James Reese, Jalen Jackson, Terence Lewis, Mykell Robinson - North Texas - Reese was the 2nd leading scorer for UNT this past season (10.9 per game). Jackson, Robinson and Lewis played sparingly.

Bryson Williams, Vuk Vulikic, Efe Odigie, Adam Hess, Tydus Verhoeven, Kristian Sjølund - UTEP - Williams was the go-to guy for UTEP in 2019-20, but maybe their 2nd best player in 20-21? He's going to be a grad transfer. Vulikic played sparingly as a freshman. Odigie was all-freshman two years ago for UTEP but his playing time has pretty much been halved the past two seasons. Hess only played in 7 games this past season. Verhoeven was a starter but not a huge scorer. Sjolund played in all 24 games after transferring to UTEP from Georgia Tech, but has struggled to get meaningful playing time at either school.

Jordan Rawls, Kevin Osawe, Kenny Cooper, Kylen Milton - Western Kentucky - Rawls was a sophomore guard who had some good moments for the Hilltoppers (including 20 points in his last WKU game). Was all-freshman in the conference his first year at Western. Osawe didn't play a ton as a JUCO transfer this past season. Cooper played a lot at Lipscomb before arriving to WKU but didn't play much as a redshirt season this past season. Milton averaged 2.7 points as a true freshman this past season.

Xaiver Armstead, Thailand Elder - Louisiana Tech - if these are their only losses, they're loaded for 2021-22.

Tyler Stevenson, Denijay Harris, Justin Johnson - Southern Miss - Stevenson was a 2-year starter who averaged almost 16 points and over 7 rebounds a game in 2020-21. Harris started some games early in the season and had some good rebounding efforts, but was on the bench the second half of the year. Johnson was sort of the opposite and was a starter at the end of the year. (Note: Stevenson and Harris may have changed their minds about leaving USM).

COMING IN (here are the guys so far who are transferring in to CUSA programs)

Austin Butler, Clyde Trapp, Robert Braswell, Musa Jalow, Perry Francois - Charlotte (from Holy Cross, Clemson, Syracuse, Ohio State, TAMU-CC)
Vladislav Goldien, Bitumba Biruti - FAU (from Texas Tech, East Carolina)
Aquan Smart, Bernie Andre, Clevon Brown, Seth Pinkney - FIU (from Maryland, Vermont, Vanderbilt, Quinnipiac)
Kasen Harrison, Keaston Willis, LaDamien Bradford, David Green - Louisiana Tech (from Lamar, Incarnate Word, Texas A&M, Hofstra)
Charles Smith, C.J. Keyser - Old Dominion (from SMU, NC Central)
Carl Pierre, Terrance McBride - Rice (from UMass, Cornell)
Justin Brown, KJ Buffen, Jamal Johnson, Tyreke Locure, Jordan Walker, Josh LeBlanc - UAB (from USF, Ole Miss, Auburn, South Alabama, Tulane, LSU)
Darius McNeill - UTSA (from SMU)
Josh Jefferson, Cameron Johnson - MTSU (from Green Bay, Stephen F Austin)
Isaih Moore - USM (from St. John's)
Jairus Hamilton, Jaylen Butz - Western Kentucky (from Maryland, Depaul)
Rasheed Browne, Hameir Wright - North Texas (from TAMU-CC, Washington)
Jamari Sibley - UTEP (from Georgetown)

TURNING PRO (here are the guys so far who are declaring for the NBA Draft and signing with an agent, thus giving up their college eligiblity)

Javion Hamlet, North Texas
Kalob Ledoux, Louisiana Tech
Charles Bassey, Western Kentucky
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2021 07:32 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
03-15-2021 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleholic Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: College basketball offseason
(03-15-2021 11:02 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  The offseason has begun already for some schools. Congrats if you're not ready to focus on the transfer season quite yet.

Here's who I see has mentioned they're transferring so far. I'm just mentioning the guys who played this season for a CUSA team. And I just want to focus on new announcements since there are likely a lot of transfers yet to come.

Jordan Davis - Middle Tennessee - pretty significant loss for them. Led MTSU in minutes played this year and was 2nd in scoring (11 points a game). Had originally played at Dayton so he'll be moving onto his third team.

Caleb Byrd - Charlotte - only played in 9 games as a freshman

Payton Moore - Rice - has had moments in his 3-year Rice career but never could really break into the starting lineup or get huge minutes. Will play his senior season probably back on the west coast (he's from Los Angeles)

Antonio Daye Jr. - FIU - announced he was transferring prior to the FIU season being over. Was their leading scorer at 17 points a game, and a 3-year starter, but I don't have much respect for someone who quits on his teammates and school before the season is over.

It amazes me how many people enter the transfer portal during the season. So much can happen over the course of a season that could change a player's outlook on their future with that team. I suppose that is just the norm and an easy way out when things don't go the way a player wants them to.
03-15-2021 11:11 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
According to Verbal Commits, UT Martin has 12 transfers heading out!! Some didn't play for them this year but my guess is 2/3rd of their team is gone.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2021 11:19 AM by Fort Bend Owl.)
03-15-2021 11:19 AM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

Got a feeling USM will have a few transfer out. We started the year with 17 players and only 2 had seniors (1 started, the other rarely played). 2 players did transfer before the season ended as our current roster only has 15 (and that still includes the 2 seniors).
03-15-2021 11:29 AM
AdoptedMonarch Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
I'll be watching the tournament games -- Go UNT (NCAA)! Go WKU/La. Tech (NIT)! But I'm not into transfer discussions. Too depressing.

For my offseason, I've started watching the basketball version of Last Chance U: [link deleted - --didn't work for some reason.] I am only two episodes in, but it seems pretty good so far.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2021 02:14 PM by AdoptedMonarch.)
03-15-2021 02:12 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
ODU is losing the great Alvis Pilavious.
03-15-2021 02:24 PM
Advertisement

Noodles Offline
All American

Really impressed with Jordan Davis.
03-15-2021 04:59 PM
Theflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(03-15-2021 02:12 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  I'll be watching the tournament games -- Go UNT (NCAA)! Go WKU/La. Tech (NIT)! But I'm not into transfer discussions. Too depressing.

For my offseason, I've started watching the basketball version of Last Chance U: [link deleted - --didn't work for some reason.] I am only two episodes in, but it seems pretty good so far.

Just watched the first episode yesterday!
03-16-2021 07:02 AM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

(03-15-2021 02:12 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  I'll be watching the tournament games -- Go UNT (NCAA)! Go WKU/La. Tech (NIT)! But I'm not into transfer discussions. Too depressing.

I'm watching that also. Playoffs just started on the episode that I watched last night. I've enjoyed it for the most part. A connection to CUSA with former UTEP player (or maybe just signee) Deshaun Highler being a major contributor on the team.
03-16-2021 12:20 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Thats where I remember him from!!!!!!!!!
03-16-2021 12:25 PM
Dowless Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
Looks like UAB just got hit with a wave of transfers.

Jalen Benjamin SO - Guard
Kassim Nicholson SR - Forward
Simeon Kirkland JR - Forward
Tobias Rotegard FR - Forward
Koby Jeffries FR - Guard
03-17-2021 02:05 PM
Advertisement

hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
(03-17-2021 02:05 PM)Dowless Wrote:  Looks like UAB just got hit with a wave of transfers.

Koby Jeffries FR - Guard

All guys that I believe AK encouraged to move on. These are exactly the 5 that I would have pushed out if I was him. I expect we'll see a talent upgrade in each of those positions. AK isn't messing around.
03-17-2021 02:38 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(03-15-2021 04:59 PM)Noodles Wrote:  Really impressed with Jordan Davis.

Not a fan of guys who keep switching allegiance. I can understand someone transferring once, but it’s a bit much when you’re now going to your third team. Does this guy think he’s some sort of primadonna or is there a valid reason for changing schools yet again? Anyone know?
03-17-2021 02:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dowless Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
(03-17-2021 02:38 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  
(03-17-2021 02:05 PM)Dowless Wrote:  Looks like UAB just got hit with a wave of transfers.

Koby Jeffries FR - Guard

All guys that I believe AK encouraged to move on. These are exactly the 5 that I would have pushed out if I was him. I expect we'll see a talent upgrade in each of those positions. AK isn't messing around.

Why Benjamin? He is only a SO and averaged 9.2 ppg. He had two games of 21 pts. Seems like he could have made a jump next season. I think these kids get used to transferring in high school so nothing changes much for them. They are constantly playing on different teams including AAU ball. However, you have to be careful as a coach and not push players out. Your good players may see that as a lack of loyalty and not think twice about going to a better program.
03-17-2021 04:23 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Benjamin has talent, but is a bit of a head case (leads team in technicals), prone to turnovers, and is a defensive liability. His numbers are mostly padded in weaker OOC games. His shooting percentages in particular plummeted in conference play. He was a solid player his freshman year, but regressed in year 2. Wish him nothing but the best.
03-17-2021 04:47 PM
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(03-17-2021 04:23 PM)Dowless Wrote:  

Koby Jeffries FR - Guard

Why Benjamin? He is only a SO and averaged 9.2 ppg. He had two games of 21 pts. Seems like he could have made a jump next season. I think these kids get used to transferring in high school so nothing changes much for them. They are constantly playing on different teams including AAU ball. However, you have to be careful as a coach and not push players out. Your good players may see that as a lack of loyalty and not think twice about going to a better program.

There were a lot of issues with him. He basically cost us the second la tech game on his own. He’s small and became an inconsistent shooter in conference play. The sample size was there at this point. He could be a good fit in the right situation, but he wasn’t for UAB.

Kennedy strikes me as a no nonsense guy. I don’t see him beating around the bush with his players, and whether they like it or not they have to at least respect it. Kennedy was all set when he came in last year, I’m certain he has a plan in place now. I expect UAB to be even better next year, I hope the rest of the conference can do the same.
03-17-2021 08:25 PM
Advertisement

Theflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(03-17-2021 08:25 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

Koby Jeffries FR - Guard

There were a lot of issues with him. He basically cost us the second la tech game on his own. He’s small and became an inconsistent shooter in conference play. The sample size was there at this point. He could be a good fit in the right situation, but he wasn’t for UAB.

Kennedy strikes me as a no nonsense guy. I don’t see him beating around the bush with his players, and whether they like it or not they have to at least respect it. Kennedy was all set when he came in last year, I’m certain he has a plan in place now. I expect UAB to be even better next year, I hope the rest of the conference can do the same.
Is this the same Kennedy who coached Marshall Henderson?
03-17-2021 10:09 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

Koby Jeffries FR - Guard

I suspect Kennedy is going to do an outstanding job for UAB as long as he is there. My first impressions of seeing him and the team this season were both solid. ODU is going to have to step up its game or it will be left behind.
03-17-2021 11:11 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(03-17-2021 11:11 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

Koby Jeffries FR - Guard

I suspect Kennedy is going to do an outstanding job for UAB as long as he is there. My first impressions of seeing him and the team this season were both solid. ODU is going to have to step up its game or it will be left behind.

We're also finally going to break ground on a basketball practice facility in May that should be ready for use next season. Should be another feather in Kennedy's hat for recruiting.
03-18-2021 02:52 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(03-17-2021 11:11 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

Koby Jeffries FR - Guard

I said right after our games with UAB that you could tell Kennedy was gonna get it done. I loved watching those 2 games. Tough, rugged teams. I agree, we better pick up the pace on and off court. JJ's small ball aint gonna get us anywhere.
03-18-2021 05:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.