Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who gets your vote for Coach of the year?
Bookmark and Share
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
Who gets your vote for Coach of the year?
I'll rank my top 3

1- Bryce Drew took a 13-17 team from the year prior and won the WAC with a 15-6 record.

2- Chris Jans never allowed his squad to go belly up and kept pushing through a season where there were multiple times they could have taken the easy way multiple times.

3- Mark Madsen took a team that that wasn't thought of much of anything and won the WAC. Although UVU and Seattle U have the same overall record (11-10) this year and UVU didn't win more games than last year (11).

All three programs are trending in the right direction.
03-08-2021 11:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
RE: Who gets your vote for Coach of the year?
(03-08-2021 11:34 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  I'll rank my top 3

1- Bryce Drew took a 13-17 team from the year prior and won the WAC with a 15-6 record.

2- Chris Jans never allowed his squad to go belly up and kept pushing through a season where there were multiple times they could have taken the easy way multiple times.

3- Mark Madsen took a team that that wasn't thought of much of anything and won the WAC. Although UVU and Seattle U have the same overall record (11-10) this year and UVU didn't win more games than last year (11).

Its a toss up between Drew and Madsen. For a first year WAC coach, Drew guided GCU to it first Co-Championship. An impressive start to his GCU career. However, given where Madsen's Wolverine team was ranked in the pre-season and only being in his second season at UVU, with one returning starter, finishing as Co-Champions is also very impressive. Drew has vastly more experience as a head coach than Madsen, so maybe looking at it in that manners, I would select Mark Madsen. Just my opinion.
03-08-2021 11:47 AM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(03-08-2021 11:47 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  

Its a toss up between Drew and Madsen. For a first year WAC coach, Drew guided GCU to it first Co-Championship. An impressive start to his GCU career. However, given where Madsen's Wolverine team was ranked in the pre-season and only being in his second season at UVU, with one returning starter, finishing as Co-Champions is also very impressive. Drew has vastly more experience as a head coach than Madsen, so maybe looking at it in that manners, I would select Mark Madsen. Just my opinion.

Awarding the coach holding the #2 tournament seed and a .524 overall win % based on the fact that his team was underestimated at the beginning of the year would be very on brand for the WAC.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2021 11:55 AM by gleadley.)
03-08-2021 11:55 AM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(03-08-2021 11:55 AM)gleadley Wrote:  
(03-08-2021 11:47 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  

Awarding the coach holding the #2 tournament seed and a .524 overall win % based on the fact that his team was underestimated at the beginning of the year would be very on brand for the WAC.

Drew will probably get the WAC COTY because it usually goes to the coach of the Conference Champions. And as the #1 seed in the WAC tournament GCU is #1 where as UVU is #1A. We will see. Who know? Maybe Lew Hill gets it? His team had a winning record and was undefeated in WAC play when he passed on.
03-08-2021 12:15 PM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

Lew Hill? For real?

With this reasoning Dan Majerle should have 4 WAC COY's
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2021 12:33 PM by Lopes87.)
03-08-2021 12:33 PM
Advertisement

NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NM State Aggies!
(03-08-2021 12:33 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Lew Hill? For real?

With this reasoning Dan Majerle should have 4 WAC COY's

They very well might do that to honor him. It has been a weird year after all.
03-08-2021 12:44 PM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

8-4 (2-0)

Lew Hill's passing is a sad story and one no one wishes on anyone but 2-0 in the WAC isn't enough to give anyone the award.
03-08-2021 02:06 PM
Advertisement

LopesUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Grand Canyon
1. Bryce Drew - First year coach starting in the most chaotic time we have all experienced. The way he was able to recruit with short notice in a time you could not take visits and only lose 6 games. I think it's his award to lose.
2. Chris Jans - What can you say about Chris Jans that you don't already know. I was most impressed with how he has handled the great amount of adversity he and his team have experienced with professionalism and grace. He never complained, never ducked a question or an interview, just kept pushing forward and got his team to the three seed. Shoot, I would not be mad if he won COY.
3. Mark Madsen - Finishing 1 game over 500 does not cut it for me. I don't see how one can make an argument he should win the COY. I get pre season picks and all, but that really means very little. He had a good season, but I don't think this is his year.
03-08-2021 04:33 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

As I said, Lew Hill could get WAC Coach of the Year; one last showing of appreciation.
03-09-2021 01:14 PM
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
(03-09-2021 01:14 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  As I said, Lew Hill could get WAC Coach of the Year; one last showing of appreciation.

That would be a classy move for the WAC.
03-09-2021 01:17 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(03-09-2021 01:17 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  
(03-09-2021 01:14 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  As I said, Lew Hill could get WAC Coach of the Year; one last showing of appreciation.

Love that it was unanimous, too. 04-cheers
03-09-2021 01:24 PM
Hairy Castaway Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UVU
(03-09-2021 01:24 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(03-09-2021 01:17 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  

Love that it was unanimous, too. 04-cheers

Agreed. Plus since coaches can't vote for themselves, it means interim coach Jay Steadman got to vote for his friend/mentor. Very classy indeed. 03-thumbsup
03-09-2021 01:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.