Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MWC Board is up for sale
Rob3338 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: uc
MWC Board is up for sale
The MWC board is apparently up for sale. I check that board occasionally and it is generally very well done. Perhaps someone here could buy it. https://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/topi...nt-2882746
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2021 07:00 AM by Rob3338.)
03-02-2021 06:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
MWC Board is up for sale
Why buy it?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
03-02-2021 08:02 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: MWC Board is up for sale
(03-02-2021 08:02 AM)mlb Wrote:  Why buy it?

I think it's the #2 conference board in generating traffic (thus ad sales) behind SEC Rant, IIRC. It's been around since the late 90s, apparently.

The Big East has one of the more active boards, and even their site is only about 1/10 as busy as the MWC board.

I like their board because it's very easy to read and navigate. Never lags.
03-02-2021 09:23 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
having a bigger MWC presence here would be great.
03-02-2021 10:04 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-02-2021 09:23 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

I think it's the #2 conference board in generating traffic (thus ad sales) behind SEC Rant, IIRC. It's been around since the late 90s, apparently.

The Big East has one of the more active boards, and even their site is only about 1/10 as busy as the MWC board.

Are we talking about the board that is part of this site? The one that hasn't had a new post since early February?
03-02-2021 10:27 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2021 10:27 AM)ken d Wrote:  

Are we talking about the board that is part of this site? The one that hasn't had a new post since early February?

It's this one
https://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/foru...rts-forum/
03-02-2021 10:32 AM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
MWC Board is up for sale
I'd say just tell them to come here. No reason to purchase the domain from them.

03-02-2021 10:50 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
I'd be happy to work to move the MWC Board and/or Pac-12 Board in here.

I'd pay some to buy the domain and assets, but the amount I'd pay is quantified as beer fund instead of college fund.
03-02-2021 12:28 PM

We have conference boards here with higher activity levels. SEC Rant's boards are too Fred Flintstone to even have display figures or statistics.

Alexa has CSNbbs down as roughly #160,000 on the web. SEC Rant is at #450,000.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2021 12:34 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
03-02-2021 12:32 PM

Well, I'm pending approval over there. If somebody over there has an account feel free to post a link back to this thread on the sell thread over there.
03-02-2021 12:43 PM
bill dazzle Online
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC

That confused me, too, kend

I post on the Big East board and it's not very active.

What do you mean, IWokeUp?
03-02-2021 01:34 PM
Advertisement

BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(03-02-2021 01:34 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

He didn’t mean on this site
03-02-2021 03:07 PM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(03-02-2021 10:04 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  having a bigger MWC presence here would be great.
I agree, would certainly give some more life to this site
03-02-2021 03:07 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Somebody will buy it. Too much traffic to ignore. Great site that I frequent myself.

If nothing else, some Western media company will buy it, someone with tie ins to local media etc, or there is a chance the membership could be purchased and they could try to me merge it in with another sports property, but that often doesn't go well.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2021 03:12 PM by Todor.)
03-02-2021 03:09 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2021 03:07 PM)BraveKnight Wrote:  
(03-02-2021 01:34 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

He didn’t mean on this site

Correct. I’m referring to SEC Rant, MWC Board, & Holy Land of Hoops. Those are conference-specific sites.
03-02-2021 03:50 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
From what I remember years ago, MWC fans don’t like CSNbbs because it’s moderated. I don’t know if anything has changed since then.
03-02-2021 04:17 PM
Advertisement

CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(03-02-2021 03:09 PM)Todor Wrote:  Somebody will buy it. Too much traffic to ignore. Great site that I frequent myself.

If nothing else, some Western media company will buy it, someone with tie ins to local media etc, or there is a chance the membership could be purchased and they could try to me merge it in with another sports property, but that often doesn't go well.

Yeah, I'll say that I was a member of a board that got bought by Operation Sports several years ago. For whatever reason, a lot of the board membership hated the OS people prior to the purchase. Whatever money OS spent on the board could have been used just effectively if they had lit it on fire as the bulk of the membership left and they ended up shutting down the board within a few months.

If anything, I think the strategy would be to keep the MWC site and then have CSN's MWC pages re-direct to that board while linking to CSN's other pages from MWC. Integrating them without changing the MWC board essentially. Maybe down the road once the MWC crowd becomes used to CSN, then you could merge them finally.
03-02-2021 04:30 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2021 04:30 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  
(03-02-2021 03:09 PM)Todor Wrote:  Somebody will buy it. Too much traffic to ignore. Great site that I frequent myself.

Yeah, I'll say that I was a member of a board that got bought by Operation Sports several years ago. For whatever reason, a lot of the board membership hated the OS people prior to the purchase. Whatever money OS spent on the board could have been used just effectively if they had lit it on fire as the bulk of the membership left and they ended up shutting down the board within a few months.

What board was that? I had an account on Operation Sports in the mid-2000s. I recall a lot of people didn't like the moderation there, and OS lacked the camaraderie of other boards.

2k Sports had a really fun board in the mid-2000s where everyone knew everyone but it decayed as the company decayed.
03-02-2021 04:35 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
Ya. I think CitrusUCF is right. Unless there was an easy way to migrate user accounts from one site to another, the best start would be linking in the forum list.
03-02-2021 04:35 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(03-02-2021 04:35 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(03-02-2021 04:30 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  

What board was that? I had an account on Operation Sports in the mid-2000s. I recall a lot of people didn't like the moderation there, and OS lacked the camaraderie of other boards.

2k Sports had a really fun board in the mid-2000s where everyone knew everyone but it decayed as the company decayed.

It was called Utopia College Sports. It was a pretty popular site for college sports video games back in the 00s and early 10s. Probably thousands of users and certainly several hundred regular posters back in its heyday. Very solid site for discussion the EA games and getting roster files and such. But it had its own culture that was very different from the polished, professional look that OS tries to project.

As soon as the OS purchase was finalized, someone on the board created Nutopia College Sports. That site is still running, though it's basically just the hardcore guys left at this point, and the site can't grow because it's such a meme heavy culture, a new user would just feel lost. Plus there's no college sports games to drive new users to it anyway. It really just exists to keep the hardcore refugees together after so many years of community building.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2021 04:42 PM by CitrusUCF.)
03-02-2021 04:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.