Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Athletic Mailbag
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Athletic Mailbag
Multiple topics that pertain to AAC schools:

https://theathletic.com/2412198/2021/02/26/

Quote:Chris, who are the 5 most likely G5 coaches to accept a Power 5 job in the next couple of seasons? — Caleb C.

Names Fickell as #1, but suggests it will be tough to pry him away from the state of Ohio

Quote:As SMU fans, we got a head start on seeing the benefits of the transfer portal, particularly for a G5 team. With the transfer portal exploding this year, how do you think the G5 fared through it all, and do you think it can meaningfully close the gap between higher-rated G5s and low-to-mid P5s? — Austin B.

Lauds SMU for embracing this early, suggests that it will be a mixed bag for non P5 schools, with some losing superstars and others backfilling. I'll add that I think it has the potential to really help schools in Florida and Texas, since we have so much homegrown talent who will get homesick after going out of state to start.

Quote:USF announced plans for their indoor practice facility. Are expensive IPFs really necessary to contend in the G5? — David W.

Probably could have put this in the thread about the IPF, but didn't want to split up any potential discussion. Questions whether it will make a difference in recruiting, but points out the obvious need to escape the weather in Florida. It bleeds into the next question, but also has this line:

Quote:Many G5 schools have been investing big money, hoping that Power 5 call will come one day. I’m skeptical it will for anyone. But college football is always in the business of selling hope.

Quote:What allows the AAC to out-recruit other G5 conferences such as the Sun Belt or C-USA? — Jonston M.

Points out that it's mostly money, that the AAC has way more of it than any other G5. Also points out that USF had the 6th best non P5 recruiting class in the country despite a 1-8 record (which he used in the previous question to illustrate why the new facility might not impact recruiting) but the 5th highest in the AAC (to illustrate why it might).

USFFan
02-26-2021 10:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
RE: Athletic Mailbag
(02-26-2021 10:44 AM)usffan Wrote:  Points out that it's mostly money, that the AAC has way more of it than any other G5. Also points out that USF had the 6th best non P5 recruiting class in the country despite a 1-8 record (which he used in the previous question to illustrate why the new facility might not impact recruiting) but the 5th highest in the AAC (to illustrate why it might).

USFFan

To me, an IPF goes far beyond recruiting. From a simple competition standpoint, a team that can have a full practice is going to be better prepared for a game a few days away than one that is doing walkthroughs in a carpeted conference room.
02-26-2021 11:15 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Athletic Mailbag
He didn't even point out that Fickell's son is on the team at UC now. That will make it doubly hard to pry away CLF for the next few years.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2021 11:49 AM by mlb.)
02-26-2021 11:49 AM
Advertisement

usffan Offline
Heisman

(02-26-2021 11:49 AM)mlb Wrote:  He didn't even point out that Fickell's son is on the team at UC now. That will make it doubly hard to pry away CLF for the next few years.

Maybe. With the free transfer rule, a school that wants to hire him would let him bring his son with him.

USFFan
02-26-2021 12:26 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(02-26-2021 12:26 PM)usffan Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 11:49 AM)mlb Wrote:  He didn't even point out that Fickell's son is on the team at UC now. That will make it doubly hard to pry away CLF for the next few years.

Maybe. With the free transfer rule, a school that wants to hire him would let him bring his son with him.

USFFan
Is that official yet?

02-26-2021 02:59 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
In addition to money, resources and recruiting grounds; brand strength is a factor as well. The schools in the AAC have a much stronger brand than UTSA, MTSU, FIU/FAU, or any of those schools in the other non-autonomous conferences. Even the better brands like Marshall and Southern Miss don't have the gravitas nationally as a Houston, Memphis, UC, UCF, SMU, etc. as well as some other warts.
02-26-2021 05:15 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

(02-26-2021 02:59 PM)mlb Wrote:  

USFFan
Is that official yet?

I only find the link that says it's official for this year:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med...mmediately

Suggests a vote on making it permanent was slated for January, but was tied to the NIL vote that got punted to summer, so they may not have voted on this yet, either.

USFFan
02-26-2021 06:45 PM
Advertisement

usffan Offline
Heisman

(02-26-2021 05:15 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  In addition to money, resources and recruiting grounds; brand strength is a factor as well. The schools in the AAC have a much stronger brand than UTSA, MTSU, FIU/FAU, or any of those schools in the other non-autonomous conferences. Even the better brands like Marshall and Southern Miss don't have the gravitas nationally as a Houston, Memphis, UC, UCF, SMU, etc. as well as some other warts.

Still trying to figure out if we were just called warts...

[Image: 200.gif]

PossibleWartsFan
02-26-2021 06:48 PM
Edgebrookjeff Offline
1st String

I Root For: bearcats
(02-26-2021 06:45 PM)usffan Wrote:  

USFFan
Is that official yet?

Suggests a vote on making it permanent was slated for January, but was tied to the NIL vote that got punted to summer, so they may not have voted on this yet, either.

USFFan

I'm thinking the powers that rule college football would like to put an end to the transfer portal in it's current state. It's just too easy for players to move from place to place. It's causing many of the power schools to completely turn over their rosters every year or two. That's not healthy for the sport. They have to come up with a new set of rules that provide some consequences to the athlete for transferring.
02-27-2021 08:19 AM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(02-27-2021 08:19 AM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 06:45 PM)usffan Wrote:  

USFFan
Is that official yet?

USFFan

I'm thinking the powers that rule college football would like to put an end to the transfer portal in it's current state. It's just too easy for players to move from place to place. It's causing many of the power schools to completely turn over their rosters every year or two. That's not healthy for the sport. They have to come up with a new set of rules that provide some consequences to the athlete for transferring.
Unless they hold the coaches to the same standards you won't see it happen.

02-27-2021 09:29 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-26-2021 06:48 PM)usffan Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 05:15 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  In addition to money, resources and recruiting grounds; brand strength is a factor as well. The schools in the AAC have a much stronger brand than UTSA, MTSU, FIU/FAU, or any of those schools in the other non-autonomous conferences. Even the better brands like Marshall and Southern Miss don't have the gravitas nationally as a Houston, Memphis, UC, UCF, SMU, etc. as well as some other warts.

Still trying to figure out if we were just called warts...

[Image: 200.gif]

PossibleWartsFan

Lol, distracted posting error. No disrespect intended usffan. You guys have been along the same ride as UC fans for a long time.
02-27-2021 10:43 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-26-2021 10:44 AM)usffan Wrote:  Multiple topics that pertain to AAC schools:

https://theathletic.com/2412198/2021/02/26/

Quote:Chris, who are the 5 most likely G5 coaches to accept a Power 5 job in the next couple of seasons? — Caleb C.

Names Fickell as #1, but suggests it will be tough to pry him away from the state of Ohio

Quote:As SMU fans, we got a head start on seeing the benefits of the transfer portal, particularly for a G5 team. With the transfer portal exploding this year, how do you think the G5 fared through it all, and do you think it can meaningfully close the gap between higher-rated G5s and low-to-mid P5s? — Austin B.

Lauds SMU for embracing this early, suggests that it will be a mixed bag for non P5 schools, with some losing superstars and others backfilling. I'll add that I think it has the potential to really help schools in Florida and Texas, since we have so much homegrown talent who will get homesick after going out of state to start.

Quote:USF announced plans for their indoor practice facility. Are expensive IPFs really necessary to contend in the G5? — David W.

Probably could have put this in the thread about the IPF, but didn't want to split up any potential discussion. Questions whether it will make a difference in recruiting, but points out the obvious need to escape the weather in Florida. It bleeds into the next question, but also has this line:

Quote:Many G5 schools have been investing big money, hoping that Power 5 call will come one day. I’m skeptical it will for anyone. But college football is always in the business of selling hope.

Quote:What allows the AAC to out-recruit other G5 conferences such as the Sun Belt or C-USA? — Jonston M.

Points out that it's mostly money, that the AAC has way more of it than any other G5. Also points out that USF had the 6th best non P5 recruiting class in the country despite a 1-8 record (which he used in the previous question to illustrate why the new facility might not impact recruiting) but the 5th highest in the AAC (to illustrate why it might).

USFFan

Yup. SMU seems to have been the first AAC school to really see how the portal could be used to quickly rebuild. After looking at the UH roster a bit with respect to past classes---depending on the year, the attrition rate among high school recruits in any given recruiting class can really be quite high. When you consider that freshman and red-shirt freshmen really play very little--any school building with just high school recruits literally uses up 25 of 85 (almost a third) of its scholarship slots each year on kids unlikely to contribute in any given year. Using the portal gives you more scholarship plug and play players ready to contribute in any given year and, after looking at attrition---Im not sure the "4th and 5th year senior" culture penalty you theoretically endure by relying on a greater number of transfers is as bad as one might think.

One more thought---there is an idea floating that kids will soon get a "one free transfer" option that allows a kid one free transfer without having to sit out. In that situation, recruiting using only high schol kids gets even more precarious as high school kids all arrive with their one free pass in their pocket. On the other hand, portal transfers would arrive having used up their "one free pass" and would thus be less likely to leave than their high school alternatives. Its quite possible a transfer heavy roster is more stable in a "one free pass" environment than the traditional model built with high school recruits....not to mention your letting other teams feed, strengthen, and develop high school kids on their dime rather than you having to use up your own valuable scholarship roster slots performing that function.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2021 12:53 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-27-2021 12:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.