Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's College Gymnastics Must Choose Between The NCAA And Survival
Bookmark and Share
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
Men's College Gymnastics Must Choose Between The NCAA And Survival
Good article at defector.com (paywall) about how men's gymnastics is surviving and moving to a non-NCAA model. I can't say thriving, because one of the most prominent teams, ASU, is a club team that sets up gymnastics floors on the weekends to make ends meet, with no scholarships at all. The author is someone that was a former host and frequent guest on a gymnastics podcast, so the article is written from the perspective of disappointment at the loss of programs across the country, including many of the most storied programs like UCLA and ASU.

https://defector.com/mens-college-gymnas...-survival/

W&M gets a mention towards the start in a paragraph about programs getting cut in the past year, and they note the reprieve.

"In 2000, [Arizona State University] tore down the campus gym where both the men and women trained with plans to rebuild the facility just for the women. “[The university] said, ‘You guys are done. We took your money away, you didn’t leave. Now we’re gonna take your building away so you gotta get out of here,’” Barclay said. He tried to convince the university to add about 20 feet onto the building so that the gym could house those men’s events that they don’t share with the women—men’s gymnastics has six apparatuses to the women’s four; the two that they share are vault and floor—and offered to raise the money in order to make up the difference in the budget."

Needless to say, the request was denied, and this was for a program that was competing for NCAA championships at the time. It's hard not to draw parallels between that move and our own proposed cuts. I'm not commenting on whether the cuts are justified; another passage points out that ASU had just spent $1M on a basketball locker room and doubled their football head coach's salary. It's more that I'm pointing out the way the winds are blowing. Schools are wanting ROI on sports, and outside of a small handful of programs in very few sports, it's just not going to happen. At some point, the value of the programs has to be viewed outside of dollars and cents.
02-24-2021 07:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TDenverFan Online
All American

RE: Men's College Gymnastics Must Choose Between The NCAA And Survival
I don't recall the exact number offhand, but after some programs were cut this past offseason there's only like 12 NCAA men's gymnastics programs left, which has to make it tough.

At least we have a guaranteed top 25 finish, if nothing else.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021 09:03 PM by TDenverFan.)
02-24-2021 09:02 PM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

W&M's (and college athletics') first ever virtual meet with Stanford may set a precedent. It saves travel
expenses with the same format as a regular meet.
02-25-2021 06:29 AM
Advertisement

nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Some of the less popular olympic sports should leverage a connection with USA olympics. While the best athletes are in the pipeline already, I would guess that there is still a need for multiple tiers of competition all the way through college-age to ensure adequate numbers of kids participate. Without the potential of a college scholarship, parents will divert their kids to other sports at a young age and the Olympic team will surely suffer.
02-25-2021 08:31 AM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
W&M should fight hard to maintain this program. With only 12 national programs, it’s an area that highlights the distinctive character of our University within athletics and provides W&M a real shot at exposure. The rivals left within are also nothing to sneeze at (Stanford, Georgia, Navy, Army, etc.) all good company.

Targeting specific non revenue sports for success can add good value to a schools name in a crowded field. Examples include Track and Field at Villanova, Men’s wrestling at Lehigh, Men’s LAX at Hopkins and back in the day, pre CUSA, women’s BBL at ODU.
02-25-2021 09:03 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(02-25-2021 09:03 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  W&M should fight hard to maintain this program. With only 12 national programs, it’s an area that highlights the distinctive character of our University within athletics and provides W&M a real shot at exposure. The rivals left within are also nothing to sneeze at (Stanford, Georgia, Navy, Army, etc.) all good company.

Targeting specific non revenue sports for success can add good value to a schools name in a crowded field. Examples include Track and Field at Villanova, Men’s wrestling at Lehigh, Men’s LAX at Hopkins and back in the day, pre CUSA, women’s BBL at ODU.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I didn't know that there was a strong track & field program at Villanova or wrestling at Lehigh. IMO, focusing on the utility of these sports is how we got to where they're disappearing. Trying to feature exposure leads administrators to try to quantify the exposure in the only terms they have, and we're not going to get the money invested in the program back in exposure.
02-25-2021 10:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.