Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UCLA breaks FCS no-play streak, schedules football games vs HBCU teams
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
UCLA breaks FCS no-play streak, schedules football games vs HBCU teams
UCLA will play Alabama State (SWAC) in 2022 and NC-Central (MEAC) in 2023 in the Rose Bowl stadium.

These are the first-ever games vs HBCUs for UCLA. They will also be the first games vs FCS ever for UCLA, which has never played an FCS team since the 1978 divisional split.

IIRC, this leaves Notre Dame as the only FBS school never to schedule an FCS team, though they and USC have never yet played one. Personally, I'd like to see Notre Dame schedule an HBCU as well.

https://fbschedules.com/ucla-to-host-ala...l-in-2023/
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021 02:43 PM by quo vadis.)
02-24-2021 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: UCLA breaks FCS no-play streak, schedules football games vs HBCU teams
Makes no sense to me. Just another way to schedule a home game, easy win and not pay much while appearing nice to HBCU's.
02-24-2021 03:22 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(02-24-2021 03:22 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Makes no sense to me. Just another way to schedule a home game, easy win and not pay much while appearing nice to HBCU's.

Welcome to virtue signalling of "progressive" California.
02-24-2021 03:23 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-24-2021 03:22 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Makes no sense to me. Just another way to schedule a home game, easy win and not pay much while appearing nice to HBCU's.

And giving money to those universities. Cincinnati played Alabama A&M a couple years ago and someone asked the A&M coach what did you take out of the matchup. Instead of saying something like getting a game on TV or a chance to play a school that has been ranked in the Top 25 he honestly answered “The only thing we get out of it is $500,000.”
02-24-2021 03:42 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(02-24-2021 03:23 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  

Epic Mind Blown
02-24-2021 03:43 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(02-24-2021 03:42 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

And giving money to those universities. Cincinnati played Alabama A&M a couple years ago and someone asked the A&M coach what did you take out of the matchup. Instead of saying something like getting a game on TV or a chance to play a school that has been ranked in the Top 25 he honestly answered “The only thing we get out of it is $500,000.”

How ungrateful. If you can only operate a football program by playing rent-a-victim body bag games then maybe you shouldn’t field an FCS football team. Even the FCS patsies know they are there to play the role of the Washington Generals. These sporting events aren’t games—they’re exhibitions where the outcome is already pre-determined.
02-24-2021 03:48 PM
Advertisement

ccd494 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maine
(02-24-2021 03:48 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

How ungrateful. If you can only operate a football program by playing rent-a-victim body bag games then maybe you shouldn’t field an FCS football team. Even the FCS patsies know they are there to play the role of the Washington Generals. These sporting events aren’t games—they’re exhibitions where the outcome is already pre-determined.

If you eliminate the schools that can play FCS full scholarship football without playing FBS teams to balance the books you would be down to like four programs.
02-24-2021 04:17 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Are over 100 FCS football schools really necessary though? Is there really a point to sponsoring scholarship football at that level if you’re attracting 3K or less in attendance like some FCS schools do?

IMHO a good chunk of FCS as well as several non-football schools are better suited for D2 but are effectively grandfathered in because they joined a D1 conference by a magic date.
02-24-2021 04:27 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
AGREED.
02-24-2021 04:43 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(02-24-2021 04:17 PM)ccd494 Wrote:  
(02-24-2021 03:48 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

If you eliminate the schools that can play FCS full scholarship football without playing FBS teams to balance the books you would be down to like four programs.

No FCS athletic departments are even close to balancing revenue and expenses. Alabama State, for example, has about $2 million of real revenue in an annual budget of over $13 million, per the USA Today database. There is only one FCS athletic department that has less than 40 percent of its budget covered by university funds -- North Dakota State, which is at about 30% subsidy. All but about five FCS programs have 60 to 90 percent of their annual budget paid by university funds, meaning their actual revenue covers only 10 to 40 percent of expenses.

$500,000 from a money game doesn't even come close to balancing the books when the difference between expenses and revenues is between $10 million and $20 million per year.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021 04:46 PM by Wedge.)
02-24-2021 04:45 PM
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers

Rutgers used to schedule a HBCU ever year for its FCS game and they usually brought their marching band. That's certainly better than most FCS teams offer.
02-24-2021 04:57 PM
Advertisement

UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers

Is your issue with UCLA playing an FCS game or an FCS game with HBCU?
02-24-2021 04:59 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Advertising it as doing a solid for HBCUs is what trips me up. They're treating the games as if its a completely different situation than scheduling Southern Utah or Northern Colorado - which is not. I'm all for HBCUs getting higher profile games. I want to see that group of schools succeed at the highest levels. However, this is really UCLA trying to save face for substituting their games with Michigan with FCS schools and I can't blame them.
02-24-2021 05:18 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(02-24-2021 05:18 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Advertising it as doing a solid for HBCUs is what trips me up. They're treating the games as if its a completely different situation than scheduling Southern Utah or Northern Colorado - which is not. I'm all for HBCUs getting higher profile games. I want to see that group of schools succeed at the highest levels. However, this is really UCLA trying to save face for substituting their games with Michigan with FCS schools and I can't blame them.

Michigan cancelled that series and left UCLA in a bad spot, not only because they had to replace those games but because it's impossible to replace the game-day revenue they would have gotten from one home game vs. Michigan.

The real issue with playing FCS teams is this: Whether UCLA plays an HBCU at home, or Southern Utah, or Northern Colorado, or, Utah State or Colorado State, the issue, from the accounting point of view, is that paying a G5 team to play there costs twice as much as paying an FCS team, while generating about the same amount of game-day revenue.

It would be nice if these decisions could be made without regard to money, but that's not the world in which college football exists.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021 05:34 PM by Wedge.)
02-24-2021 05:33 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Has an HBCU football team played in SoCal? I'm guessing there might have been a Classic of some sort in L.A. once upon a time but I'm struggling to recall it. But tapping into the Black population who may have watched HBCU games on TV and band performances and step shows on YouTube but never actually seen it in person has some potential, I'd think. Sort of like Notre Dame playing in Ireland.
02-24-2021 05:36 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(02-24-2021 05:36 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Has an HBCU football team played in SoCal? I'm guessing there might have been a Classic of some sort in L.A. once upon a time but I'm struggling to recall it. But tapping into the Black population who may have watched HBCU games on TV and band performances and step shows on YouTube but never actually seen it in person has some potential, I'd think. Sort of like Notre Dame playing in Ireland.

Prairie View played NC A&T in the Coliseum in 2007.
The linked LA Times article mentions games played there as "classics" prior to 2007 in addition to games played against Cal State LA and Fullerton in the 70's.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-...story.html
02-24-2021 05:54 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(02-24-2021 05:54 PM)Renandpat Wrote:  
(02-24-2021 05:36 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Has an HBCU football team played in SoCal? I'm guessing there might have been a Classic of some sort in L.A. once upon a time but I'm struggling to recall it. But tapping into the Black population who may have watched HBCU games on TV and band performances and step shows on YouTube but never actually seen it in person has some potential, I'd think. Sort of like Notre Dame playing in Ireland.

Prairie View played NC A&T in the Coliseum in 2007.
The linked LA Times article mentions games played there as "classics" prior to 2007 in addition to games played against Cal State LA and Fullerton in the 70's.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-...story.html

Good find. Sounds like there's definitely a market for it, and would be a better draw for UCLA than a typical FCS opponent.
02-24-2021 06:01 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(02-24-2021 04:17 PM)ccd494 Wrote:  If you eliminate the schools that can play FCS full scholarship football without playing FBS teams to balance the books you would be down to like four programs.

You know, some people might look at that statement and consider it to be an argument that most FCS football budgets are too high.
02-24-2021 06:02 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(02-24-2021 04:59 PM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  

Is your issue with UCLA playing an FCS game or an FCS game with HBCU?

just making a joke.
02-24-2021 06:10 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC

Except that SoCal's black population is pretty small. And a huge percentage of them would rather watch futbol than football.

Greater L.A. is about 18 million people, but only about 1.2 million are black, and less than 900,000 are native born African Americans.

The HBCU's would be better off playing in Detroit or Philly.
02-24-2021 06:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.