Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Josh Pastner
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Josh Pastner
Honest question here for GT fans and others feel free to opine as well.

Do you extend Pastner or waive the buyout and let someone "steal" him after this breakout season?
02-24-2021 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: Josh Pastner
So you start breakout seasons by getting waxed by Georgia State and Mercer because you thought not practicing was a good idea?!

At the conclusion of this season Josh Pastner becomes cheap to buyout. It damn well better stay that way. The best thing to do post-season is nothing ... let him peel another year off that buyout. If he is extended it better not come with a meaningful increase in buyout. If raises are being handed out to the staff I expect Eric Reveno to get the lion's share of the money.

Let's just go over some of the things Pastner has "accomplished" in his 5 years:

- Inviting sociopath Ron Bell into the program who blackmailed Pastner with NCAA violations he orchestrated which then got GT MBB in trouble
- A litany of ugly losses: Georgia State, Mercer, Wright State, Grambling, Wofford, Ball State, Gardner Webb, Bethune Cookman, NC A&T, ETSU...
- No wins over UGAg since 2014, including a 30 point demolition to them

He has the oldest and most experienced team in the country bar none. Half of those old guys are so-so transfers. And there's nothing behind them. Only one Junior sees real minutes (Devoe). Zero freshmen or sophmores see real minutes. So after building this for five years the entire f'n team leaves this year and we're back to square one again.

Pastner has a reputation as a recruiter ... it took him until this season to actually land a recruit of merit. To his credit, the most recent recruiting class is actually pretty decent. To his discredit ... that would have been substantially more useful in any of the past 4 years.

There is coaching talent on this staff, though. It goes by the name Eric Reveno. He's why Moses Wright is the beast he is today. If you're tall and have little skills beyond that Eric Reveno will make you into a ACC grade post player in 2 years. NBA grade in 3-4. If and when Pastner is shown the door every effort should be made to retain Eric Reveno.

Josh Pastner is the last remaining vestige of Mike Bobinski at the GTAA. When you look around at Stansbury hires (Collins, Fortner, the baseball assistant staff overhaul, Morales) you get immediate results and a measured improvement quickly. Pastner increasingly looks like the dunce in a family of geniuses.

I'll put it to you this way ... I'll give you a straight trade: Pastner for Capel. We get to keep Reveno though.
02-24-2021 11:02 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
MyBB RE: Josh Pastner
The Hokies did their part to give the ACC another year of Pastner.
02-24-2021 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

Donators
(02-24-2021 11:02 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  So you start breakout seasons by getting waxed by Georgia State and Mercer because you thought not practicing was a good idea?!

At the conclusion of this season Josh Pastner becomes cheap to buyout. It damn well better stay that way. The best thing to do post-season is nothing ... let him peel another year off that buyout. If he is extended it better not come with a meaningful increase in buyout. If raises are being handed out to the staff I expect Eric Reveno to get the lion's share of the money.

Let's just go over some of the things Pastner has "accomplished" in his 5 years:

- Inviting sociopath Ron Bell into the program who blackmailed Pastner with NCAA violations he orchestrated which then got GT MBB in trouble
- A litany of ugly losses: Georgia State, Mercer, Wright State, Grambling, Wofford, Ball State, Gardner Webb, Bethune Cookman, NC A&T, ETSU...
- No wins over UGAg since 2014, including a 30 point demolition to them

He has the oldest and most experienced team in the country bar none. Half of those old guys are so-so transfers. And there's nothing behind them. Only one Junior sees real minutes (Devoe). Zero freshmen or sophmores see real minutes. So after building this for five years the entire f'n team leaves this year and we're back to square one again.

Pastner has a reputation as a recruiter ... it took him until this season to actually land a recruit of merit. To his credit, the most recent recruiting class is actually pretty decent. To his discredit ... that would have been substantially more useful in any of the past 4 years.

There is coaching talent on this staff, though. It goes by the name Eric Reveno. He's why Moses Wright is the beast he is today. If you're tall and have little skills beyond that Eric Reveno will make you into a ACC grade post player in 2 years. NBA grade in 3-4. If and when Pastner is shown the door every effort should be made to retain Eric Reveno.

Josh Pastner is the last remaining vestige of Mike Bobinski at the GTAA. When you look around at Stansbury hires (Collins, Fortner, the baseball assistant staff overhaul, Morales) you get immediate results and a measured improvement quickly. Pastner increasingly looks like the dunce in a family of geniuses.

I'll put it to you this way ... I'll give you a straight trade: Pastner for Capel. We get to keep Reveno though.

So you don't think other schools might be interested in him based on this season? I do. That might be the easiest way for GT to get out of his contract. Just let him walk. If his agent has an ounce of sense, he is looking around to see what interest there is. He can then use that as leverage to try to negotiate with GT. If GT says "NO DEAL HOWIE!" he can leave, GT can collect his buyout and move on.

And no, Capel is ours. I never said Pastner was a good coach. He is a mediocre coach having a career year. My question was one of how does GT deal with that career year.
02-24-2021 11:31 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
Josh Pastner has always been a mediocre coach ever since he got his start after Cal left Memphis. His team is doing well right now in-spite of Pastner being the HC. GTS said something that makes a lot of sense, "He has the oldest and most experienced team in the country." Age and experience goes a long way in college and can enhance a coaches coaching abilities. That seems to be the case this year with Pastner. Or he could have gotten some real good assistants to help out as well.
02-24-2021 02:26 PM

(02-24-2021 11:31 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  So you don't think other schools might be interested in him based on this season? I do. That might be the easiest way for GT to get out of his contract. Just let him walk. If his agent has an ounce of sense, he is looking around to see what interest there is. He can then use that as leverage to try to negotiate with GT. If GT says "NO DEAL HOWIE!" he can leave, GT can collect his buyout and move on.

And no, Capel is ours. I never said Pastner was a good coach. He is a mediocre coach having a career year. My question was one of how does GT deal with that career year.

I think we cashed in all our luck chips when Purdue paid us to take Mike Bobinski away.
02-24-2021 02:34 PM
Advertisement

NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(02-24-2021 02:26 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  Josh Pastner has always been a mediocre coach ever since he got his start after Cal left Memphis. His team is doing well right now in-spite of Pastner being the HC. GTS said something that makes a lot of sense, "He has the oldest and most experienced team in the country." Age and experience goes a long way in college and can enhance a coaches coaching abilities. That seems to be the case this year with Pastner. Or he could have gotten some real good assistants to help out as well.

That's how Gary Williams won the NC in 2002. Dixon, Baxter and Mouton were the seniors. And Blake, Nicholas, Holden and Randle were the juniors. The best player on that team, Chris Wilcox, was only a sophmore.
02-24-2021 02:53 PM

Okay ... which one of the Tobacco Road powers that be did this to try to keep Pastner around?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket...ource-says

Was that you UNC?
02-26-2021 01:25 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(02-26-2021 01:25 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Okay ... which one of the Tobacco Road powers that be did this to try to keep Pastner around?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket...ource-says

Was that you UNC?

Well... that's it then. Gotta keep Pastner around now. 6 year guaranteed contract should do it.
02-26-2021 11:31 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

Donators
I think the interest in Pastner just went up.
03-14-2021 01:33 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Ga Tech definitely stuck with face-shield-boy.
03-14-2021 01:51 PM
Advertisement

GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
(02-24-2021 10:49 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  Honest question here for GT fans and others feel free to opine as well.

Do you extend Pastner or waive the buyout and let someone "steal" him after this breakout season?

I do not want Pastner extended...However the only opinon that matters is AD TSAN. With the highly touted recruits coming in if CJP does well next season, I am sure he gets extended....
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2021 02:08 PM by GTFletch.)
03-14-2021 02:06 PM

(03-14-2021 02:06 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  I do not want Pastner extended...

They can extend Pastner for 100 years tomorrow if they want. So long as the buyout doesn't increase along with that. The length of the contract is irrelevant. It's all about how much it cost to rip it up.
03-14-2021 06:07 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
Why all the hate for the guy? He has made GT relevant in basketball for the first time in a long time. From an outsider it looks like he should be getting an extension. They just posted the best winning percentage since 03-04. Sure they had a solid year his first year and regressed a year later but it’s been improving ever since. GT is one of the hottest teams in the country right now and look like they could make a decent run in the tournament if they play well (I actually picked them in the Elite 8 maybe I’m over confident lol). Just curious of why all the hate.
03-16-2021 10:38 AM

(03-16-2021 10:38 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  Why all the hate for the guy? He has made GT relevant in basketball for the first time in a long time. From an outsider it looks like he should be getting an extension. They just posted the best winning percentage since 03-04. Sure they had a solid year his first year and regressed a year later but it’s been improving ever since. GT is one of the hottest teams in the country right now and look like they could make a decent run in the tournament if they play well (I actually picked them in the Elite 8 maybe I’m over confident lol). Just curious of why all the hate.

He let Ron Bell into the program at Memphis. Then brought him over with him to Georgia Tech. Ron Bell is (IMO) a full blown sociopath. He blackmailed Pastner over NCAA recruiting violations that he himself committed then boasted about over social media during the legal spat between him and Pastner.
AJC: Pastner more trouble than he's worth?
https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradley/te...8Mf2HgHFO/

Then we get to recruiting. Pastner is suppose to be first and foremost a recruiter by reputation. Up until the very latest recruiting class he got a bumper crop of non-ACC caliber players.

He hasn't beat UGA in hoops since 2014. That would be ... EVER for him. He has however been ran out of gym to the tune of a 30+ point loss against them.

He was too scared of COVID to practice. That led to opening the season with thudding losses against Georgia State and Mercer. They almost cost GT the NCAAT and they still cost them at least 2 spots on the seed draw. Those are far from his only humiliating losses / performances. Wright State. Ball State. Wofford. North Carolina A&T. Bethune Cookman. Boise State. Gardner Webb. Grambling State. Ohio.

Up until this season he hadn't won a single game in the ACCT despite starting on the first day every time.

Barring COVID changes, Moses Wright and Jose Alvarado and Jordan Usher (transfer) and Bubba Parham (transfer) will all leave and they'll be right back to square one where they started from. So three years of humiliation, one year of mediocrity, and one decent year and then a reset to show for it at the end. One year in five doesn't cut it.

He comes off as a children's show character when interviewed. He's laughed at when he could be pitching the program.

He was hired by Mike Bobinski who will go down as the worst AD in the history of Georgia Tech Athletics. He's like the anti-Midas touch. Pastner is the last remaining vestige of prior incompetence at AD. Flushing him completes the clean up. Having the team you're hiring your head coach from pay you $2,000,000 to take him away should be a giant red flag. To Bobinski, it was a promotional bell ringer.

If all you've seen is them play from February on this year you've missed a metric crapload of ugly.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021 10:28 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
03-16-2021 06:27 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Why is Moses Wright expected to miss Tech's first two NCAAT games (if they get to a second)?
03-18-2021 09:01 AM
Advertisement

(03-18-2021 09:01 AM)ken d Wrote:  Why is Moses Wright expected to miss Tech's first two NCAAT games (if they get to a second)?
COVID protocol.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using CSNbbs mobile app
03-18-2021 09:04 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-18-2021 09:04 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(03-18-2021 09:01 AM)ken d Wrote:  Why is Moses Wright expected to miss Tech's first two NCAAT games (if they get to a second)?
COVID protocol.

This is horrible timing. I think at full strength GT had a real shot at the Sweet 16.
03-18-2021 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(03-18-2021 09:48 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(03-18-2021 09:04 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
COVID protocol.

This is horrible timing. I think at full strength GT had a real shot at the Sweet 16.

Or even further. GT had been playing some real bb the last few weeks. Didnt realize they were on an 8 game winning streak. Hopefully, Wrights replacement is decent. I know that losing him creates depth issues.
03-18-2021 09:52 AM

(03-18-2021 09:52 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  Or even further. GT had been playing some real bb the last few weeks. Didnt realize they were on an 8 game winning streak. Hopefully, Wrights replacement is decent. I know that losing him creates depth issues.

Depth and Josh Pastner have never been in the same place at the same time and that goes back to Memphis too.
03-18-2021 10:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.