Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who do you see as your 3 biggest rivals in the 2022 WAC?
Bookmark and Share
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
Who do you see as your 3 biggest rivals in the 2022 WAC?
There is a thread in the realignment board about asking who you see as your teams three biggest rivals? This started me thinking about rivalries in the expanded WAC and the possibility of different rivalries. So I thought I’d add the question here- Who do you see as your three biggest rivals in the new WAC?

For Abilene Christian, here’s how I see it:

Tarleton
SFA
Sam Houston (Football) and GCU in other sports

Whatcha got?
02-09-2021 06:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

RE: Who do you see as your 3 biggest rivals in the 2022 WAC?
(02-09-2021 06:51 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  There is a thread in the realignment board about asking who you see as your teams three biggest rivals? This started me thinking about rivalries in the expanded WAC and the possibility of different rivalries. So I thought I’d add the question here- Who do you see as your three biggest rivals in the new WAC?

For Abilene Christian, here’s how I see it:

Tarleton
SFA
Sam Houston (Football) and GCU in other sports

Whatcha got?

This is a duplicate post. I’ve tried unsuccessfully to delete it. In real life the older I get the more I repeat myself so I guess you could say duplicate posting is a reflection of the real me.
02-09-2021 07:06 AM
NMSUIndyAg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
Since NMSU is only basketball, I’ll give my too 3 for basketball:

GCU - it’s a new rivalry, and a bit different than our rivalries with UNM and UTEP (where the disdain for each other is palpable). For me, it’s more a respectful rivalry as I respect what they are trying to accomplish. That said, I do love it when we beat them, and get a little extra frustrated when we don’t.

UTRGV - man I don’t like Levi. He’s good, no doubt, but as a fan I can’t stand him. They play hard as heck and we seem to always have good games.

Don’t know - this would have been Bako if they were still here, but their not, so......there really isn’t another team in the conference that I have stronger feelings about than another.

GO AGGIES!!!
02-09-2021 08:15 AM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

(02-09-2021 08:15 AM)NMSUIndyAg Wrote:  Since NMSU is only basketball, I’ll give my too 3 for basketball:

GCU - it’s a new rivalry, and a bit different than our rivalries with UNM and UTEP (where the disdain for each other is palpable). For me, it’s more a respectful rivalry as I respect what they are trying to accomplish. That said, I do love it when we beat them, and get a little extra frustrated when we don’t.

UTRGV - man I don’t like Levi. He’s good, no doubt, but as a fan I can’t stand him. They play hard as heck and we seem to always have good games.

Don’t know - this would have been Bako if they were still here, but their not, so......there really isn’t another team in the conference that I have stronger feelings about than another.

GO AGGIES!!!

I imagine SFA will become NMSU’s biggest competition for a bid to the playoffs and as such will soon show up on your rival list?
02-09-2021 08:30 AM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

As a NMSU fan, here is what I see:
GCU - As mentioned earlier, I can respect what they are trying to build. Plus they have a good volleyball team.
UVU - Not sure a rival, but competitive with NMSU in all things, and who can forget the brawl!

From the new schools:
I think that SFA will get it because of basketball.
02-09-2021 09:07 AM
Advertisement

PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

Rivals means that you are on somewhat equal footing, right? If so, NMSU has no rivals in the WAC...05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021 09:28 AM by PojoaquePosse.)
02-09-2021 09:28 AM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
Setting the debatable label of "rival" aside, if we are strictly talking about conference opponents we most want to see our school smash in every single sport every single time they compete, my top three for GCU would be:

1. NMSU - To be the best, you have to beat the best. Aggies wear the crown, so they have the target. NMSU also has some fans that make it very easy to root against them. I absolutely understand that the exact same thing can be said about GCU students, broadcasters, and the general approach to athletics marketing. If I wasn't a Lopes fan, I'd probably be right there with most of you who loathe the way GCU conducts itself.

2. CBU - Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but it is also super-annoying. Cal Baptist has followed the GCU D1 transition playbook nearly to a "T" and has done it very well, I must say. CBU feels like a little brother to GCU in that way, but big brothers are also supposed to pound little brothers. So, here we are.

3. All Other Purple Schools (Tarleton, ACU, SFA) - There is no ill-will here (yet). We're just going to have to battle it out every year to determine who holds the title for most dominant purple.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021 09:49 AM by gleadley.)
02-09-2021 09:33 AM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

(02-09-2021 09:33 AM)gleadley Wrote:  3. All Other Purple Schools (Tarleton, ACU, SFA) - There is no ill-will here (yet). We're just going to have to battle it out every year to determine who holds the title for most dominant purple.

It could be fun to have a little side competition between the Purple schools. Like the WAC Commissioner's Cup, but just between the fans of the Purple schools. Call it the "Cup of Wrath"
02-09-2021 10:08 AM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(02-09-2021 10:08 AM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  
(02-09-2021 09:33 AM)gleadley Wrote:  3. All Other Purple Schools (Tarleton, ACU, SFA) - There is no ill-will here (yet). We're just going to have to battle it out every year to determine who holds the title for most dominant purple.

It could be fun to have a little side competition between the Purple schools. Like the WAC Commissioner's Cup, but just between the fans of the Purple schools. Call it the "Cup of Wrath"

Yes! 04-cheers
02-09-2021 10:18 AM
Advertisement

TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
As a fan of Sam Houston State - it's easy to say the rivals will be the other Texas schools joining from the Southland.

That being said, I think there's going to be some fun rivalries in other sports

Cal Baptist WBB vs Stephen F Austin
Grand Canyon & New Mexico State MBB vs Stephen F Austin & Abilene Christian
Sacramento State BSB vs Sam Houston State

There's probably others that I am missing...
02-09-2021 10:29 AM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I think there are historic and State rivalries in place.

The Texas schools (Abilene Christian, Tarleton State, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Lamar, and UTRGV) will have there own in-State pod rivalry just for bragging rights.

The same goes in Utah with Utah Valley, Southern Utah, and Dixie State. Because of there close proximity, there might be a little extra rivalry between Southern Utah and Dixie State. If Weber State decides to join the WAC that would only add to the Utah rivalry.

There is also a Pacific West Conference element to the WAC as Grand Canyon, California Baptist, and Dixie State all competed against each other at the Division 2 level. So prior rivalries had formed.

I think Seattle U. has a private school rivalry with California Baptist and Grand Canyon.

As for NMSU, I think any program that challenges NMSU's dominance in the WAC will be deemed a rival. Although, I think NMSU and GCU have developed an natural rivalries simply because NMSU had a long live winning tradition and GCU has aspirations of being the next Gonzaga. NMSU has a grand old oversized arena from yesteryear with a lot of winning tradition. GCU has a new state of the art facility with a night club type sound system. These two schools are the Ying and Yang of college basketball. GCU has everything that its money can buy. NMSU has everything that money can't buy.

I also think NMSU will develop a rivalry with Stephen F. Austin; as both schools are used to winning in basketball. However, since both school will in different divisions, this rivalry will be seen more in the WAC Tournament. If West Texas A&M is invited into the WAC, they will have a natural rivalry with Tarleton State and the other Texas schools; but also NMSU, as they have a history of competition that should reignite.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021 10:51 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
02-09-2021 10:49 AM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

Currently for GCU imo it's

NMSU
&
CBU

But CSUB was a rival in my eyes when they were in the WAC.

Out of the new schools ACU and SFA are the most likely but I think we will see some out of the blue rivalries form and I'm excited about that

The WAC has a purple line with NMSU in the middle of it. Time to change the crimson to purple Aggie fans. (GCU NMSU ACU TSU SFA)
02-09-2021 11:03 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
Okay, so CBU's three biggest rivals in the WAC are:

1. GCU - They are just easy to dislike. They are arrogant enough to think that CBU wants to be just like them. At last year's game in Riverside, everyone got a CBU beat GCU t-shirt at the game. Two years ago, there was a bunch of obnoxious GCU fans talking trash throughout the game, including a group right behind me. Both game's were sellouts and the fans were really into it. Both games had a different feel than any other CBU home game. A former PacWest rival just 320 miles from Riverside.

2. Dixie State - Another former PacWest Rival with a good athletic program. St. George is just 350 miles from Riverside and DSU does a lot of recruiting in Southern California. Games against DSU are always competitive and their beating CBU in Riverside a few weeks ago was not really a surprise.

3. NMSU - 82-76. That was the score the first time the two schools met in basketball and the only loss NMSU had in conference the past two seasons. In baseball, CBU took 2 out of 3 from NMSU in Las Cruces on the last weekend of the season to force a 3-way tie for first place and claim a share of the 2019 WAC regular season title. Just this past weekend, CBU split with NMSU in men's basketball while sweeping NMSU in women's basketball. So to PojoaquePosse's point, I think CBU qualifies as a rival.

I would also add that all four of their basketball games with Seattle the past two seasons have been "chippy" and I sense a private school rivalry has developed with Seattle.
02-09-2021 11:56 AM
Advertisement

FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU Aggies
(02-09-2021 08:30 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  
(02-09-2021 08:15 AM)NMSUIndyAg Wrote:  Since NMSU is only basketball, I’ll give my too 3 for basketball:

GO AGGIES!!!

I imagine SFA will become NMSU’s biggest competition for a bid to the playoffs and as such will soon show up on your rival list?

I think NMSU and SFA will develop into a strong WAC Rivalry. I don't consider GCU or anyone in the current WAC a rival because we have dominated them. Prior to this COVID season, NMSU was 14-2 vs GCU all-time.
02-09-2021 02:43 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
I don’t think SU has any rivals, period. You could argue for Washington, Portland/Portland St, maybe Eastern Washington, but not much meat on those bones.

The Top 3 WAC schools I look forward to playing are - NMSU, Grand Canyon, and CBU. Bakersfield used to be top 3
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021 03:53 PM by DoubleRSU.)
02-09-2021 03:53 PM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

(02-09-2021 03:53 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  I don’t think SU has any rivals, period. You could argue for Washington, Portland/Portland St, maybe Eastern Washington, but not much meat on those bones.

The Top 3 WAC schools I look forward to playing are - NMSU, Grand Canyon, and CBU. Bakersfield used to be top 3

UW/SU is a friendly matchup but it's hardly competitive most years.

EWU/SU should be bigger than it is but I think Hayford isn't interested in playing his old employer.

Portland and Portland St should be on SU's schedule for almost every sport w/o question.

Idaho is another I'd like to see on SU's schedule as well.
02-09-2021 04:00 PM
NMSUIndyAg Offline
2nd String

(02-09-2021 08:30 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  

GO AGGIES!!!

I imagine you would be correct. Speaking for myself, it is hard for me to get too jazzed up about teams we don't have a huge history with. That all changes next season, and I can't wait for it!

GO AGGIES!!!!
02-09-2021 04:14 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(02-09-2021 11:56 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  Okay, so CBU's three biggest rivals in the WAC are:

1. GCU - They are just easy to dislike. They are arrogant enough to think that CBU wants to be just like them. At last year's game in Riverside, everyone got a CBU beat GCU t-shirt at the game. Two years ago, there was a bunch of obnoxious GCU fans talking trash throughout the game, including a group right behind me. Both game's were sellouts and the fans were really into it. Both games had a different feel than any other CBU home game. A former PacWest rival just 320 miles from Riverside.

2. Dixie State - Another former PacWest Rival with a good athletic program. St. George is just 350 miles from Riverside and DSU does a lot of recruiting in Southern California. Games against DSU are always competitive and their beating CBU in Riverside a few weeks ago was not really a surprise.

3. NMSU - 82-76. That was the score the first time the two schools met in basketball and the only loss NMSU had in conference the past two seasons. In baseball, CBU took 2 out of 3 from NMSU in Las Cruces on the last weekend of the season to force a 3-way tie for first place and claim a share of the 2019 WAC regular season title. Just this past weekend, CBU split with NMSU in men's basketball while sweeping NMSU in women's basketball. So to PojoaquePosse's point, I think CBU qualifies as a rival.

I would also add that all four of their basketball games with Seattle the past two seasons have been "chippy" and I sense a private school rivalry has developed with Seattle.

You bring up an interesting fact. CBU and GCU are the only teams to beat NMSU in MBB in the last 3 years.

CBU is coming along nicely in their move up to D1. I can tell you no one at NMSU considers CBU a rival at this point. The potential exists for that if you keep beating us in MBB.
02-09-2021 04:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.