Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News NY Times Calls For Biden to Appoint “Reality Czar” to Fight “Misinformation”
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
NY Times Calls For Biden to Appoint “Reality Czar” to Fight “Misinformation”

Where are all the liberal trolls defending this fascist move?
02-02-2021 03:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: NY Times Calls For Biden to Appoint “Reality Czar” to Fight “Misinformation”
I nominate Ted Cruz.
02-02-2021 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: NY Times Calls For Biden to Appoint “Reality Czar” to Fight “Misinformation”
The poor NY Times. Those poor silly little fascists really dont understand the first amendment at all. Sad.
02-02-2021 03:48 PM
TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
[Image: 3548098.png?272]
02-02-2021 03:50 PM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
So appoint someone to a fake position to discuss fake stuff and call it "reality".

emmmK. 01-wingedeagle

These people are certifiable.
02-02-2021 03:54 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(02-02-2021 03:50 PM)TheOriginalBigApp Wrote:  [Image: 3548098.png?272]

lol... the first thing I thought of was Baghdad Bob.
02-02-2021 03:56 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Quote:Countless individuals have lost their jobs or their platforms, simply for having a different opinion to the activists that have mobilized to cancel them. But according to Brian Stelter, the host of CNN’s “Reliable Sources,” we should stop referring to this phenomenon as cancel culture and instead, start calling it “harm reduction.”

Stelter made the comments during a recent edition of his show and proposed that the mainstream media and Big Tech platforms need to create a silo where there’s “accurate news and rational views.” Then in this silo, which Stelter referred to as a “healthy environment,” individuals will be allowed to debate as long as they stay within the bounds of this so-called healthy environment.

According to Stelter, anything that he brands as “disinformation” is “unhealthy” and “harmful” and needs to be reduced. And he applied this standard to dissenting opinions on the coronavirus, Stop the Steal content, QAnon, and more.

Stelter justified his push for more censorship and cancel culture by arguing: “Reducing a liar’s reach is not the same as censoring freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is different than freedom of reach and algorithmic reach is part of the problem.”

And in a blatant display of doublethink, Stelter claimed that Big Tech slashing the reach of any posts or conversations that he deems to be disinformation would make social media platforms “more social.”

Journalist Glenn Greenwald was quick to push back against Stelter and noted that Stelter’s claims about “freedom of reach” are “totally false” and have been “rejected by courts for decades.”

“Imagine if you’re an anti-Wall Street group and you want to march on Wall St & the city tells you: oh, you can march, but not on a busy street. We’ll give you a permit to march on a deserted street in Queens,” Greenwald tweeted. “You think that’s not a free speech violation? Tons of caselaw on this.”

Ultimately, Stelter’s comments are a variation of the same tactic that CNN and others in the mainstream media have been using for years to censor their competitors.

They create a censorship buzzword such as “echo chambers” or “misinformation,” they use these buzzwords to pressure Big Tech platforms into censoring their competitors, and then, as they’re pushing for more censorship, they argue that it’s not censorship because the mainstream media knows best and is protecting everyone else from “harm.”

Link
02-02-2021 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
And who is the Arbiter of truth - this new Czar?
What happens when the Czar goes after the NYT when they ultimately lie about something?
Why did we not need this reality Czar sooner - like 25 years ago?
Why can't the NYT and these other outlets not do their job and weed out fact from fiction on their own - you know like they are supposed to?

Allowing the government to control the narrative is bad for business.... be careful what you ask for, you may get it.
02-02-2021 04:02 PM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
(02-02-2021 04:00 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

Literally THE most punchable face on television - and maybe in history.
02-02-2021 04:05 PM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
So he wants to appoint a minister of truth?
02-02-2021 04:49 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Quote:A study from New York University released on Monday that dismisses conservative allegations of Big Tech bias and calls for President Joe Biden to establish a Digital Regulatory Agency was funded by Craig Newmark, a billionaire tech titan who donated $100,000 to Biden’s campaign victory fund.

The study, entitled “False Accusation: The Unfounded Claim that Social Media Companies Censor Conservatives,” also defends decisions by Facebook and Twitter to both ban President Donald Trump from their platforms last month, and to limit circulation of a story from The New York Post weeks before the election about emails from Hunter Biden’s laptop.

The report says that Facebook and Twitter made “reasonable decisions” in both instances.

It also states that the New York Post story about Biden’s laptop was based on “stolen material,” a claim that Hunter Biden himself has not made.

The study, which was first touted in a story in The Washington Post, also accuses conservatives of pushing “political disinformation” through their accusations that tech companies harbor anti-conservative bias.

“The false bias narrative is an example of political disinformation, meaning an untrue assertion that is spread to deceive. In this instance, the deception whips up part of the conservative base, much of which already bitterly distrusts the mainstream media,” reads the study, authored by Paul M. Barrett and J. Grant Sims of the NYU Stern School of Business.

Conservatives’ allegations of bias are based on “distortions and falsehoods,” Barrett and Sims wrote.

The researchers asserted that conservatives’ claims of bias warrants the creation of a Digital Regulatory Agency, which would oversee social media companies.

“The false claim of anti-conservative bias has contributed to widespread distrust in the platforms’ willingness and ability to govern their sites,” the researchers said.

“As an alternative, expanded jurisdiction and funding for social media oversight could be given to an existing agency, such as the Federal Trade Commission or Federal Communications Commission.”

Conservatives, led by Trump and a handful of Republican lawmakers, have accused companies like Twitter and Facebook of censoring prominent Republicans on their social media platforms, either by banning conservatives outright or curtailing their ability to post on the site.

Google has faced similar allegations that it has tailored its algorithm to bury links to conservative news organizations.

The NYU researchers dismissed those complaints by citing substantial web traffic for conservative news organizations on sites like Facebook.

A chart in the study based on data from the web metric company CrowdTangle shows that conservative sites like Fox News and Breitbart had more social engagements — likes, shares and comments — on Facebook than did other news outlets.

The Daily Caller ranked 8th on the list, with 97 million interactions through October 2020.

The data cited in the study may not tell the full story of which websites are boosted on Facebook. A Facebook executive told Business Insider in July that while conservative sites perform well in terms of engagement, more liberal news organizations like BuzzFeed, MSNBC and ABC News outperform in terms of “reach,” a measure of how many people see content in their news feeds.

The NYU researchers relied on input from employees from Google, Twitter and Facebook for their “time and insight” for the study, according to the acknowledgement section of the report. No conservative groups appear to have been consulted for the study.

The authors noted Newmark’s financial support for the project, but did not describe his political leanings.

Newmark, the founder of Craigslist, gave $100,000 to the Biden Victory Fund, a political committee affiliated with the Biden campaign, and $35,500 to the DNC in June 2020, according to Federal Election Commission records.

He donated tens of thousands of dollars to President Obama’s campaign, the Hillary Clinton campaign and to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

He told Forbes magazine last year that he planned to donate up to $200 million to fight online disinformation, fund journalism outfits, and help defeat Trump.

Barrett, the lead researcher on the study, told The Daily Caller News Foundation that he did not believe it was necessary to disclose Newmark’s political contributions.

“It was enough to disclose that Craig Newmark provides the Center with financial support,” Barrett said in an email.

He said that in order to obtain a conservative view of the censorship debate he watched live streams of congressional events, read congressional transcripts, consulted White House documents and reviewed President Trump’s public statements criticizing tech companies.

On the report’s defense of censorship of the Hunter Biden laptop story, Barrett asserted that theft, hacking or some other malfeasance is the only explanation for how The New York Post obtained Biden’s emails.

The owner of a computer repair shop in Delaware has claimed that Biden dropped his laptop off at his store in April 2019 and never retrieved it.

The shop owner, John Paul Mac Isaac, has denied stealing the device or hacking it. He has said that he provided the laptop to Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani through an associate. Giuliani shared documents from the purported laptop with The Post and other news outlets, including The Daily Caller.

“How would the alleged Hunter Biden emails have ended up in the hands of Rudy Giuliani and others hostile to the Biden family if they were not stolen, hacked, or otherwise misappropriated?” Barrett asked in an email.

Link
02-02-2021 04:54 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
Too bad for the dems that Joseph Goebbels isn't around anymore. He's got an impressive resume in doing what they want done.
02-02-2021 04:56 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
I can't get over the simply irony in that the NYT, of all places, wants anything close to someone to "fight misinformation". I mean, I guess they don't expect the "reality czar" to look at the NYT? I'm probably being naive in thinking that any such "Reality Czar" would look at any liberal organization, but still.........
02-02-2021 05:01 PM
Advertisement

Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
https://www.politifact.com/florida/

Expositing reality and truth is one thing, getting daft people to accept it is another.
02-02-2021 05:15 PM
No2rdame Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis, ND
(02-02-2021 04:49 PM)Jugnaut Wrote:  So he wants to appoint a minister of truth?

We're on the same page. This sounds very much like the creation of the Ministry of Truth. They're already trying to implement Newspeak with the banning of certain words and phrases. For those of you who have not yet read 1984. It's not a long read, but damn is it accurate for what's going on. I'm telling you, Orwell knew this was going to happen.
02-02-2021 05:17 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Yup. Was tossing some vittles together in the kitchen and thinking about this idiocy. Same things I was thinking about.

Baghdad Bob
Minister of Truth
Hunger Games (Yes, I watched with my young daughter, shoot me)

Sure there are many, many others. Ima think on it some more. Kinda scary times en macro, really.
02-02-2021 05:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.