02-02-2021 01:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
RE: 2021 At-Large Bids from Mid-Major Conferences
Yeah it's tracking for 5 high mid-majors

You left out the American, which is tracking at only one bid for Houston, but I think they might get one at-large anyway based on past performance at the expense of one of the other high mid-majors (probably the A10 gets only one at-large instead of two to make room)

This is pretty normal, and it's the same 5 high mid-major conferences are always is in the conversation for an at-large or two.

The Majors (by budget and conference ... although Gonzaga, Memphis and Dayton are majors by resources; the others in their conferences are below the the top 60, actually most below the top 80) are on track for 31: 8 or 9 for the B1G, 4 or 5 for the other 5 conferences.

The other 21 conferences are one bid. Takes a lightening strike to get an at-large (sometimes there are two really strong schools for a year in one of them, but the committee tends to shuffle one off to the NIT)
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2021 02:31 PM by Stugray2.)
02-02-2021 02:26 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
I feel like Covid has really hurt SLU's chance at getting an at-large. They've got like zero margin for error at this point.
02-02-2021 02:33 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(02-02-2021 02:33 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  I feel like Covid has really hurt SLU's chance at getting an at-large. They've got like zero margin for error at this point.

Yeah, they’ve played 1 A10 game. Rhode Island has 11!

Also, I purposefully didn’t include AAC. I look at AAC the same way I looked at CUSA 1.0.
02-02-2021 02:43 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

(02-02-2021 02:43 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(02-02-2021 02:33 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  I feel like Covid has really hurt SLU's chance at getting an at-large. They've got like zero margin for error at this point.

Yeah, they’ve played 1 A10 game. Rhode Island has 11!

Also, I purposefully didn’t include AAC. I look at AAC the same way I looked at CUSA 1.0.

I think at this point the AAC is mid-major. Perhaps the strongest mid-major but definitely mid-major.
02-02-2021 02:44 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Bracket Matrix as of Feb. 1, 2021 has
MWC: 3 (Boise State, San Diego State, and Colorado State)
A-10: 2 (St. Bonaventure and St. Louis)
WCC: 2 (Gonzaga and BYU)
MVC: 2 (Drake and Loyola)

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

In my bracket, I had Richmond instead of St. Louis but the others in place.
02-02-2021 02:46 PM
Advertisement

WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

(02-02-2021 02:46 PM)schmolik Wrote:  Bracket Matrix as of Feb. 1, 2021 has
MWC: 3 (Boise State, San Diego State, and Colorado State)
A-10: 2 (St. Bonaventure and St. Louis)
WCC: 2 (Gonzaga and BYU)
MVC: 2 (Drake and Loyola)

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

In my bracket, I had Richmond instead of St. Louis but the others in place.

Bracket matrix is spot on but instead of St. Louis or Richmond, I like VCU.
02-02-2021 02:50 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
If there are no conference tournaments, which is a real possibility, the path to extra bids in mid majors might close. Won’t have that quality team lose in a tourney game and still get in
02-02-2021 10:13 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
There’s enough parity in the major conferences that good wins could propel otherwise marginal teams over these mid-majors. I would be shocked if the A10 sends more than one should Bonaventure run the show from here on out and take the AQ. La Salle may be the bubble popper for the likes of Richmond and Saint Louis.

I am really getting tired of seeing sub-.500 teams cracking the top 50. There’s PSU again. I mean, I don’t know what the fear is for the likes of a Rutgers or even Michigan State...get maybe five games above .500 this season, and I suspect it might be enough.

NET is going to be tested this season for sure. I’m sure there are those looking at Drake, Loyola-Chi, and toothpaste saying “nope.” Based on Bracket Matrix, none of those three are trending in seeds that could suggest taking any/more losses. Heck, Drake is a 9...Rutgers 8?!
02-04-2021 07:05 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
2021 At-Large Bids from Mid-Major Conferences
I just want Toledo in the dance. Been so long and they are playing so well. A lot of good teams of gotten knocked out in MAC tourney in past. Maybe this is finally the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-04-2021 10:55 AM
Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
(02-04-2021 10:55 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  I just want Toledo in the dance. Been so long and they are playing so well. A lot of good teams of gotten knocked out in MAC tourney in past. Maybe this is finally the year

They are setting up well for an at-large, if they don't stumble in the regular season.
02-04-2021 11:01 AM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
I have contended many times on this board that the American is a "major" (though clearly not "power") conference in men's basketball. But if this season repeats itself a few more times ... I might have to "downgrade" my assessment. AAC men's hoops this year remind me of Bill Dazzle's senior year of high school related to his efforts with the young ladies: a complete fail.
02-04-2021 04:32 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2021 04:32 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  I have contended many times on this board that the American is a "major" (though clearly not "power") conference in men's basketball. But if this season repeats itself a few more times ... I might have to "downgrade" my assessment. AAC men's hoops this year remind me of Bill Dazzle's senior year of high school related to his efforts with the young ladies: a complete fail.

It definitely does feel more mid-major with UConn gone and Temple and Cincy down in the dumps. That said I'm encouraged by what I've seen out of Memphis the last few weeks. Even if they fail to grab a bid this year I think it sets them up well for next season. I think that coupled with the fact that the bottom of the league has clearly improved gives me hope that the league isn't completely dead yet.
02-04-2021 04:46 PM
bill dazzle Offline

(02-04-2021 04:46 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(02-04-2021 04:32 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  I have contended many times on this board that the American is a "major" (though clearly not "power") conference in men's basketball. But if this season repeats itself a few more times ... I might have to "downgrade" my assessment. AAC men's hoops this year remind me of Bill Dazzle's senior year of high school related to his efforts with the young ladies: a complete fail.

It definitely does feel more mid-major with UConn gone and Temple and Cincy down in the dumps. That said I'm encouraged by what I've seen out of Memphis the last few weeks. Even if they fail to grab a bid this year I think it sets them up well for next season. I think that coupled with the fact that the bottom of the league has clearly improved gives me hope that the league isn't completely dead yet.

I truly thought Cincy would be competitive this year. I guess I was blinded by my optimism.

Memphis is playing better now (than a bad early season), and SMU and Wichita are very solid.

But after Houston (great season despite the loss to ECU your team is having), ... the dip is noticeable in the AAC.

Maybe next season will be better.
02-04-2021 06:37 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2021 06:37 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

I truly thought Cincy would be competitive this year. I guess I was blinded by my optimism.

Memphis is playing better now (than a bad early season), and SMU and Wichita are very solid.

But after Houston (great season despite the loss to ECU your team is having), ... the dip is noticeable in the AAC.

The shortened non-conference slate and covid goofiness have made this year especially tough for young teams. No one in the American has hurt by this more than Memphis and Temple. Memphis is starting to round into form. I think they sneak a bid and use that to build momentum into next season. Cincy has just been a major surprise. I expected them to take a step back without Cumberland and Scott but they've been bad. Hopefully next year they remember who they are and at least scrape together a have way decent performance. UH takes a step back next year but we should still be competitive enough to be comfortably in the field. Having UConn this year would've been a boost. They've finally started to turn the corner with Hurley.
02-04-2021 09:21 PM
bill dazzle Offline

(02-04-2021 09:21 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(02-04-2021 06:37 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

The shortened non-conference slate and covid goofiness have made this year especially tough for young teams. No one in the American has hurt by this more than Memphis and Temple. Memphis is starting to round into form. I think they sneak a bid and use that to build momentum into next season. Cincy has just been a major surprise. I expected them to take a step back without Cumberland and Scott but they've been bad. Hopefully next year they remember who they are and at least scrape together a have way decent performance. UH takes a step back next year but we should still be competitive enough to be comfortably in the field. Having UConn this year would've been a boost. They've finally started to turn the corner with Hurley.

I agree fully with your assessment. Cincy will clearly be better next year and Memphis could actually be fairly good. I thought Tulane would be better this year than it has been. Wichita is one to keep an eye on next season.

I've seen bits and pieces of UConn games this year and that is a solid team. Not a lot of points but finding a way to win.

Would like to see Houston make a run to the Elite Eight (Final Four would be outstanding). Good luck, WH.
02-04-2021 09:40 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Drake’s 2 star players out for the season. Lunardi and BracketMatrix have them in bye territory. Palm has them 4th-to-last in.
02-22-2021 02:24 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
The trend is for 5 or 6 of the 37 at-large (Ivy League opting out so one more at-large).

The 6 Majors will get 31 or 32 at large, which is their normal. Gonzaga is in truth a major, simply in a upper Mid-Major conference. If they are given an at-large for bypassing the WCC tournament, I expect the committee will take away an at-large from one of the other mid-majors to give to a Major. I have a hard time believing that past conference performance wont show up, with the committee denying a 2nd at-large to either the A10 or MWC instead giving an at-large to the AAC. That is how I see it playing out.

The result will be the usual, half the 12 seeds and a 13 seed pulling upsets.
02-22-2021 03:14 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Non-majors in the 30’s would worry me. That’s Drake, Boise, VCU, Bonnie...where they are lining up with seeding, the margins seem thin for them.

Meanwhile, Penn State loses to Iowa, drops to 7-12...raises a spot in NET to be top 40. And your “last in” crew has non-majors in NET 30’s but majors in NET 60 (Minnesota). Sigh...
02-22-2021 03:21 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(02-04-2021 11:01 AM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  
(02-04-2021 10:55 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  I just want Toledo in the dance. Been so long and they are playing so well. A lot of good teams of gotten knocked out in MAC tourney in past. Maybe this is finally the year

They are setting up well for an at-large, if they don't stumble in the regular season.

Toledo is playing really well but the odds they get an-large are miniscule with them lacking a big non-conference win. The MAC isn't bad but you need a resume like UB a few years ago to even have a chance, and lose in the championship game at the tourney Cleveland to not get the auto-bid.
02-22-2021 10:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.