JMU and UNCW Games Postponed
Bookmark and Share
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
JMU and UNCW Games Postponed
[Image: 19a7936abd4f7acafdf5b1541499636d.jpg]

This makes me really wonder....

My wife and I were commenting that it was very weird that Towson had two played in isolation but still played. I don’t know the specific circumstances, but seemed weird and now this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-02-2021 09:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: JMU and UNCW Games Postponed
I hope any positive tests on our side wind up being false positives, or at the worst that everyone is ultimately asymptomatic.

The team has already hit the 8 games minimum for seeding in the conference tournament, for some slight upside.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2021 09:39 AM by TDenverFan.)
02-02-2021 09:38 AM
TribeFan1983 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wm & Mary
(02-02-2021 09:33 AM)wml33t Wrote:  [Image: 19a7936abd4f7acafdf5b1541499636d.jpg]

My wife and I were commenting that it was very weird that Towson had two played in isolation but still played. I don’t know the specific circumstances, but seemed weird and now this.

So sad. It seemed we really hit our stride against Towson and were ready to make a run.
02-02-2021 10:41 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
(02-02-2021 10:41 AM)TribeFan1983 Wrote:  
(02-02-2021 09:33 AM)wml33t Wrote:  [Image: 19a7936abd4f7acafdf5b1541499636d.jpg]

So sad. It seemed we really hit our stride against Towson and were ready to make a run.

We were hitting our stride against a Towson team who was down several team members, two at least who started. This season is impossible to assess. Players are out, games are cancelled at the last minute, games are back to back.

I love that we have games to watch and a team to follow, but this isn't like anything normal IMO.
02-02-2021 11:20 AM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Most importantly, I hope everyone is ok.

It is unfortunate that through mid-February the Tribe will have played virtually no home games. One against Drexel, one against Delaware. Home series with COC and JMU cancelled(postponed?).

Not really anything can be done for any certainty for the remainder of the season. People just have to get the vaccine. Perhaps the administration of it will get faster once there are a couple more choices and larger quantity. The Johnson and Johnson version at least is one shot and likely will be available in wider quantities.

JMU has had a ton of games cancelled and basically without positives within their program.
02-02-2021 11:29 AM
Tribester Offline
Banned

I Root For: W&M
We have now finished an NBA season, an NHL season, an NFL season, almost, college football season, and Major League Baseball. No serious athlete related concerns from a health perspective that I am aware of because of COVID. But let’s keep shutting everything down for two weeks because of a close contact or one positive test on a team. Everything is stupid.
02-02-2021 11:45 AM
Advertisement

LION KING Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ucla
(02-02-2021 11:45 AM)Tribester Wrote:  We have now finished an NBA season, an NHL season, an NFL season, almost, college football season, and Major League Baseball. No serious athlete related concerns from a health perspective that I am aware of because of COVID. But let’s keep shutting everything down for two weeks because of a close contact or one positive test on a team. Everything is stupid.

Cancel Culture,That's what we wanted !
02-02-2021 11:57 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

(02-02-2021 11:45 AM)Tribester Wrote:  We have now finished an NBA season, an NHL season, an NFL season, almost, college football season, and Major League Baseball. No serious athlete related concerns from a health perspective that I am aware of because of COVID. But let’s keep shutting everything down for two weeks because of a close contact or one positive test on a team. Everything is stupid.

I mean, they're college kids. William and Mary is in person for most students/classes. The student athletes will still interact with professors, support staff, fellow students, etc. Our sports aren't gonna bubble all 13 players together in a dorm and prevent them from leaving.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2021 02:06 PM by TDenverFan.)
02-02-2021 12:09 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

This is not surprising since one of our players did not make the trip to Towson due to contact tracing for COVID and being in isolation.

I noticed at the Towson game during timeouts that Towson still separated their players by 6 feet while we had our players shoulder to shoulder. Towson has suffered greatly due to COVID 19 so seems they have adapted more conservative approach as a result.
02-02-2021 12:33 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Send a letter to NCAA... Tribester says it's all unnecessary based on what he's read. That should hold up.
02-02-2021 01:41 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(02-02-2021 01:41 PM)WMInTheBurg Wrote:  

Send a letter to NCAA... Tribester says it's all unnecessary based on what he's read. That should hold up.

It would be as logical as anything that's come out of the NCAA.
02-02-2021 07:32 PM
Advertisement

TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary

Ahh I see you must be forgetting that Florida Forward (and NBA prospect) Keyontae Johnson almost died on the court because his heart stopped working because he previously had coronarvirus, but yeah, pausing for 2 weeks is so dumb, according to you.

Also, Jacksonville Jaguars RB Ryquell Armstead was hospitalized twice and had to miss this entire season because he tested positive, but this is sooo dumb, right?
02-02-2021 08:35 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(02-02-2021 07:32 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(02-02-2021 01:41 PM)WMInTheBurg Wrote:  

It would be as logical as anything that's come out of the NCAA.

Counterpoint: no it would not.
02-02-2021 08:53 PM
TribeinVB Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: William & Mary and ODU
(02-02-2021 08:35 PM)TribePride52 Wrote:  

Ahh I see you must be forgetting that Florida Forward (and NBA prospect) Keyontae Johnson almost died on the court because his heart stopped working because he previously had coronarvirus, but yeah, pausing for 2 weeks is so dumb, according to you.

Also, Jacksonville Jaguars RB Ryquell Armstead was hospitalized twice and had to miss this entire season because he tested positive, but this is sooo dumb, right?

I have not seen anything released that said this causation has been established.
02-02-2021 10:19 PM
Vabird Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: W&M
(02-02-2021 10:19 PM)TribeinVB Wrote:  

I have not seen anything released that said this causation has been established.

You won’t because it would be impossible to link it to a specific viral infection but myocarditis can be caused by a viral infection and it appears in 15% of post COVID college athletes most of whom had mild or no symptoms. It is also thought that exercising while infected with COVID increases the risk of developing myocarditis. I love watching these athletes play their sport. I do not want them to risk their lives for that sport.
02-02-2021 10:39 PM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary

It was confirmed by multiple outlets that he had coronavirus, which can lead to myocarditis, which can cause heart inflammation, like the comment above me said.

I can keep going with this.

California University of Pennsylvania defensive lineman Jamain Stephens Jr. died from a blood clot in his heart after he contracted COVID-19, which his family confirmed.

27 year old basketball player Michael Ojo died of a heart attack a week after he contracted Covid-19, while he was training in Serbia.

Sure, you keeping whining because you think a basketball game is more important than a player’s life, have at it.
02-03-2021 12:25 AM
Advertisement

NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(02-02-2021 10:39 PM)Vabird Wrote:  

You won’t because it would be impossible to link it to a specific viral infection but myocarditis can be caused by a viral infection and it appears in 15% of post COVID college athletes most of whom had mild or no symptoms. It is also thought that exercising while infected with COVID increases the risk of developing myocarditis. I love watching these athletes play their sport. I do not want them to risk their lives for that sport.

I thought the "15%" getting myocarditis statement was retracted and that the research didn't support it. Or am I misremembering?
02-03-2021 08:01 AM
TribeinVB Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-03-2021 12:25 AM)TribePride52 Wrote:  

It was confirmed by multiple outlets that he had coronavirus, which can lead to myocarditis, which can cause heart inflammation, like the comment above me said.

I can keep going with this.

California University of Pennsylvania defensive lineman Jamain Stephens Jr. died from a blood clot in his heart after he contracted COVID-19, which his family confirmed.

27 year old basketball player Michael Ojo died of a heart attack a week after he contracted Covid-19, while he was training in Serbia.

Sure, you keeping whining because you think a basketball game is more important than a player’s life, have at it.

Please get off your high horse. No one here wants to exploit players or wants kids to risk their lives so we can watch them play. I could care less whether they play or don't play. I enjoy the game but if the scientists say its too dangerous than by all means, they should stop playing. Your personal belief is that Covid caused these kids' ailments, fine. You're entitled to your opinion and a lot of people may agree with you, including me, but that doesn't mean we know that Covid caused their condition which is what you stated as a fact. A lot of people thought power lines over their houses were the cause of their cancer and they had plaintiff's lawyers and experts lining up to advance that opinion. Science eventually proved them wrong.

Besides, isn't the real question whether these kids, because they are playing college basketball, at a greater statistically significant risk of developing myocarditis from Covid than like kids who are not playing college basketball? Because if they are not at a greater risk, shouldn't it be up to them whether they want to play? Oh wait, it is up to them. They were told they could opt out if they wanted to and still be on scholarship. I know its popular to pound on the NCAA, schools and fans for supposedly exploiting kids, but it sure seems like the schools, and the NCAA, had the kids' best interests at heart.
02-03-2021 02:37 PM
TribeinVB Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-03-2021 08:01 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  
(02-02-2021 10:39 PM)Vabird Wrote:  

I thought the "15%" getting myocarditis statement was retracted and that the research didn't support it. Or am I misremembering?

I am assuming that the 15% refers to the Ohio State study of 26 kids. I saw the study described by a well-meaning critic as a step in the right direction but with multiple limitations that the authors of the study had acknowledged and were trying to correct. I don't have the qualifications to argue about Covid studies, but I wish we'd be more careful about what we represent. It is not a fact that 15% of post-Covid diagnosed college athletes get myocarditis. It is a fact that a very limited study, with some problems acknowledged by its authors, found that 15% of the 26 kids in the study who previously had Covid with mild to no symptoms, developed myocarditis.
02-03-2021 02:50 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(02-03-2021 02:37 PM)TribeinVB Wrote:  Besides, isn't the real question whether these kids, because they are playing college basketball, at a greater statistically significant risk of developing myocarditis from Covid than like kids who are not playing college basketball? Because if they are not at a greater risk, shouldn't it be up to them whether they want to play? Oh wait, it is up to them. They were told they could opt out if they wanted to and still be on scholarship. I know its popular to pound on the NCAA, schools and fans for supposedly exploiting kids, but it sure seems like the schools, and the NCAA, had the kids' best interests at heart.

Greater risk comes from being around other people who may be carriers of the virus. If you're playing basketball against people outside your "bubble", you have a greater risk of all of the above because you have a greater risk of contracting COVID.

With regard to the bolded portion above, I'd argue no. Players and coaches will always want to play, and will be more willing to overlook things they don't understand if it means getting on the court/field. Having their best interests at heart, IMO, would have been canceling the season. I'm not a doctor or epidemiologist, so my opinions don't really hold any more water than the players and coaches though. I think the NCAA chose financial interests over health interests, then figured out how to justify the financial decision. Because the way that the season has been executed doesn't really make sense otherwise.
02-03-2021 03:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.