Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Matt Brown: So what's in a football feasibility study, anyway?
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
Matt Brown: So what's in a football feasibility study, anyway?
Matt Brown of Extra Points published a story today entitled, "So what's in a football feasibility study, anyway?"

According to a follow-up tweet, he even got more feasibility studies than what he initially added in his article (and may share those there?).

Anyhow, in light of the recent shakeup at the FCS level - I though it would be worthwhile amongst this group of realignment & expansion lovers to ask - what school(s) do you feel are under the most pressure to add NCAA football at their institutions?

Are these schools that have had football before? Schools that are in the geography of the conferences wheeling and dealing right now? Who are these schools in your opinion?

Quote:You know what isn’t free? Starting a college football team.
In fact, it’s really expensive! It also takes a long time, and like anything else involved with higher education, it requires an ungodly amount of paperwork.

One of the first bits of paperwork in that process, or at least, one of the first bits of paperwork that anybody outside the university hears about? The feasibility study.

If your favorite program hasn’t started the process around a feasibility study, chances are, they aren’t particularly serious about starting that program.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/so-whats...easibility
02-01-2021 01:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Matt Brown: So what's in a football feasibility study, anyway?
FYI I just checked his twitter and him and David Street have still been going at it.
02-01-2021 01:58 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I’d say:

UTA
UALR
UNF
FGCU
GCU
UTRGV—committed to football by 2024
Kansas

I think some elements within the OVC that will push Moorehead St to switch to scholarship football.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2021 02:13 PM by Fighting Muskie.)
02-01-2021 02:05 PM
TDenverFan Online
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
UTRGV has not yet actually committed to football, it's still being explored by them
02-01-2021 02:39 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Whenever a "study" is done at a corporation or a university, the bottom line is that it's done to support the conclusions of whomever wanted the study to be done.

You want to show that having an FBS program would be a major benefit to your university? Then you hire someone in the business of producing studies that say that.

You want to show that it would be a terrible idea for your university to start a football team? Then you hire someone who is extremely skeptical about the value of college football.
02-01-2021 03:05 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(02-01-2021 02:05 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’d say:

UTA
UALR
UNF
FGCU
GCU
Kansas

I think some elements within the OVC that will push Moorehead St to switch to scholarship football.

I see what you did there.
02-01-2021 03:06 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Quote:If the only goal is “profitability”, or at least becoming financially self-sufficient, then these PDFs would be much smaller documents. Essentially, they would become single-paged documents that read “you should not start a college football program.”

That says it all
02-01-2021 04:09 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(02-01-2021 02:39 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  UTRGV has not yet actually committed to football, it's still being explored by them

That report in exploring to add football was finished 2 years ago. They wasted money on hiring Mack Brown to help in that study.
02-01-2021 04:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
If California higher ed decides to merge CSU-Bakersfield and Bakersfield Community College? Both athletics departments would merge which CSU-Bakersfield would take over the football program. Bakersfield Community College already plays in a city stadium that is already FBS ready.
02-01-2021 04:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-01-2021 02:54 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Let's face it - other than at Notre Dame, the SEC and B1G schools and some of the ACC, Big 12 and PAC schools, football is infeasible.

07-coffee3

I think we've reached peak football.

We will see more schools dropping than adding over the next couple of decades.

Faculty (where presidents come from) is more opposed than ever. HS participation is down. Costs are through the roof.

More and more of these small privates will start dropping.

Additions will come only in the South and mostly in growing commuter schools.
02-02-2021 10:47 AM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(02-01-2021 02:05 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’d say:

UTA
UALR
UNF
FGCU
GCU
Kansas

GCU has zero pressure on it to start football. The President of the school said at the WAC expansion press conference that GCU has zero desire for football.
02-02-2021 11:03 AM
Advertisement

SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
I think you are going to start seeing more schools quietly conducting football viability studies. And yes there are consutants in atht space. And yes, who they choose to hire as consultants predestines the results.
02-02-2021 11:13 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(02-01-2021 03:05 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Whenever a "study" is done at a corporation or a university, the bottom line is that it's done to support the conclusions of whomever wanted the study to be done.

You want to show that having an FBS program would be a major benefit to your university? Then you hire someone in the business of producing studies that say that.

You want to show that it would be a terrible idea for your university to start a football team? Then you hire someone who is extremely skeptical about the value of college football.

Yeah, it’s either full stop or full steam ahead. These studies cost money and they aren’t done just for due diligence (though maybe they should IAH?).

Personally, starting football isn’t as interesting to me as FCS and D2 programs’ studies to upgrade to FBS. Who these programs benchmarked and where they projected or wanted to for a conference home. From what I’ve read and heard over the years, so so many programs projected to CUSA. Imagine all of these random FCS programs, like Missouri State or Delaware projecting they could hang with Memphis, UCF, or Houston? It’s always been why I suspected the MAC never budged or bit on a FCS upgrade beyond UMass...those schools were overreaching. Irony is that now, those aspiring FCS schools wouldn’t be overreaching, and CUSA could be a decent fit...spare the programs you wanted to avoid when you ran the study.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2021 05:20 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
02-02-2021 11:33 AM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(02-01-2021 04:47 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  If California higher ed decides to merge CSU-Bakersfield and Bakersfield Community College? Both athletics departments would merge which CSU-Bakersfield would take over the football program. Bakersfield Community College already plays in a city stadium that is already FBS ready.

03-lmfao What a fundamental lack of understanding about the California Community College system and California State University system.

It's impossible. You have no idea what you just suggested.
02-02-2021 03:10 PM
Fighting Muskie Online

Interesting tidbit—apparently Matt Brown grew up in the next town over from me
02-02-2021 03:43 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
(02-02-2021 03:43 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Interesting tidbit—apparently Matt Brown grew up in the next town over from me
I'm interested and can't find it...what town is he from?
02-02-2021 03:56 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Online

(02-02-2021 03:56 PM)cubucks Wrote:  
(02-02-2021 03:43 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Interesting tidbit—apparently Matt Brown grew up in the next town over from me

He’s from Granville. I came across it in his bio when I found a book he wrote on Amazon. He did a “what if”s of conference realignment—the kind of stuff Nerdlinger and I both live for.
02-02-2021 04:09 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
(02-02-2021 04:09 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

He’s from Granville. I came across it in his bio when I found a book he wrote on Amazon. He did a “what if”s of conference realignment—the kind of stuff Nerdlinger and I both live for.
Ha! I lived in Granville for a few years. Renovated a home there and was actually married at the Bryn Du Mansion. Town is absolutely beautiful, but too liberal for me, personally.
Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner both went to college at Denison in Granville. He actually visited the college while we lived there and did some kind of project with the theater class there.

We've lived all over ohio, but Granville means the world to us. As I mentioned, we were married there plus had our first child while living there.

Did Matt Brown do sports for CNN at one time?
02-02-2021 04:20 PM
Fighting Muskie Online

(02-02-2021 04:20 PM)cubucks Wrote:  

Ha! I lived in Granville for a few years. Renovated a home there and was actually married at the Bryn Du Mansion. Town is absolutely beautiful, but too liberal for me, personally.
Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner both went to college at Denison in Granville. He actually visited the college while we lived there and did some kind of project with the theater class there.

We've lived all over ohio, but Granville means the world to us. As I mentioned, we were married there plus had our first child while living there.

What a small world! It’s a beautiful town but yes, far too liberal for my taste—my wife and I joke that we’d move there but only if all the current residents left first. My old boss was the volunteer accountant for Bryn Du. The college has some pretty renowned alumni—former Disney czar Michael Eisner went there too, or at least shelled out a crap ton to get his name on their new performing arts center.

I’m not sure if he worked for CNN or not. I know he wrote for SB Nation for a time.
02-02-2021 05:30 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(02-02-2021 04:20 PM)cubucks Wrote:  

I'll take living in Granville over living in Newark or Heath or even New Albany, if I had to live in Licking County.
02-02-2021 05:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.