Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

LA Tech RB
Bookmark and Share
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
LA Tech RB
Congrats on LA Tech picking up grad transfer RB Marcus Williams, good all around back with really good vision. At minimum great add for depth.

Even better young man than player too.
01-17-2021 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
RE: LA Tech RB
(01-17-2021 11:00 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Congrats on LA Tech picking up grad transfer RB Marcus Williams, good all around back with really good vision. At minimum great add for depth.

I'm hoping some Appy State fans can chime in here (you've never heard me say this before, ha ha!) and give us a briefing on the talents of Marcus Williams.
Seems he was a productive back for Appy for the last 4 years.

Also Maybe UNT fans can give us the low down on Williams since he burned UNT for a 70-yd TD run and 101 yds rushing on only 6 carries in their Bowl game against Appy St. At least in this video clip, Williams looks fast as hell.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/pl...illiams-jr
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2021 01:19 PM by HogDawg.)
01-17-2021 01:10 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

He is very fast.
01-17-2021 01:50 PM
Magic95Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Texas
(01-17-2021 01:10 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  
(01-17-2021 11:00 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Congrats on LA Tech picking up grad transfer RB Marcus Williams, good all around back with really good vision. At minimum great add for depth.

I'm hoping some Appy State fans can chime in here (you've never heard me say this before, ha ha!) and give us a briefing on the talents of Marcus Williams.

Also Maybe UNT fans can give us the low down on Williams since he burned UNT for a 70-yd TD run and 101 yds rushing on only 6 carries in their Bowl game against Appy St. At least in this video clip, Williams looks fast as hell.

If I handed the ball off to you on a dive play and you only had Side Show Joe to block for you, you could have scored a 70 yard TD against us in the bowl game. Im not sure we learned much about any of the app players.
01-17-2021 01:53 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

(01-17-2021 01:50 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  He is very fast.

Now that's brief. LOL!
01-17-2021 02:03 PM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

Ha, he's fast and has good hands and gets the job done. I hate to see him go but App continues to get studs that are younger and he has shifted down to #3-#4 RB. He'll get his 1000 yard year if y'all feed him the damn ball.

I hope App doesnt have to play y'all in a bowl with a healthy Williams.
01-17-2021 03:31 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Williams strength IMO is his vision. He’s more of a one cut back with patience in a zone blocking scheme.

He’s probably a 4.6 guy so not going to blow by DBs but fast enough to take it to the house once he’s past the LB and the DB doesn’t have an angle.

Also probably the best pass blocking back App had last year, one of the reasons he got more reps to start the season.

Team guy, does the little things well, again good all around guy off the field too.
01-17-2021 04:28 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

Thanks for the update guys. Sounds like he's a guy we can really use in 2021. 03-thumbsup
01-17-2021 04:32 PM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

He was one of several App backs that rushed for 100 in our bowl embarrassment. Like the other 100 rushers for App State, Williams looked like a Heisman candidate in that game. That's why our DC was fired a week later.

Why Littrell ever thought a former failed Kansas DC could turn our defense around, I will never know.
01-17-2021 04:55 PM
Advertisement

Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

(01-17-2021 01:53 PM)Magic95Fan Wrote:  

If I handed the ball off to you on a dive play and you only had Side Show Joe to block for you, you could have scored a 70 yard TD against us in the bowl game. Im not sure we learned much about any of the app players.

I had nightmares about that stupid dive play for a week after that bowl. 03-hissyfit
01-17-2021 04:57 PM
Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-17-2021 04:57 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  

I had buried that bow fiasco the day after the game. Now you guys had to bring it up again.03-pissed I'll have nightmares for weeks now.

I had nightmares about that stupid dive play for a week after that bowl. 03-hissyfit
01-17-2021 06:36 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

(01-17-2021 04:57 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  

Sorry guys.....I wasn't attempting to get any of you to seek counseling. 03-wink. But I do appreciate the info on Williams.
01-17-2021 07:04 PM
ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App

He’s a great back. Had the unfortunate luck to play behind 2 nfl quality backs in 2018 and 2019 and spent much of 2020 injured.

He was described by one of our 2019 all SBC o linemen as having the best vision of our current stable of backs.

I’m sure he’ll do well you in CUSA
01-17-2021 07:17 PM
Advertisement

Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian St
I hate to see Marcus leaving App. He is a very talented all around RB. He has good speed, and instincts and definitely brings big play potential. I predict the La Tech fans are going to really like him in 2021.
01-21-2021 11:22 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU

He averaged 7.4 yards per carry this year...on 68 touches. Extrapolate that average to 200 carries and you get close to 1,500 yards. Given the yard per carry of running backs at App since around 2015, it's likely his average would have ended up somewhere around 6.0 to 6.7 if he had been healthy all year.

In my opinion, he was App's best pure runner the past two seasons. However, when you have Darrynton Evans who is a threat to break away at the slightest crease, and then injuries in 2020, it's hard to see much of the field.

Williams was App's best inside runner with great short area quickness that, when coupled with his excellent vision, helps him find and navigate small holes in the defense; this results in 7 yard gains instead of 2 or 3. Occassionally, that 7 yard gain turns into 30 or 40.

Of the games he did play this season, it seemed like he broke off a long run of 50+ yards or was a shoestring tackle away, and that was with minimal carries. A healthy Williams Jr. in 2020 would have led to him likely declaring for the 2021 NFL Draft. The reason he is leaving App is because Cam Peoples, all 6'2 and 215 lbs of him, figured out how to use his size and trust the offensive line as many of you saw if you watched the North Texas game. As a result, Williams would be splitting carries in his final season to really make an impression on NFL Scouts.

In short, I think App's best pure running back just left. If Holtz streak of taking in quality transfers and building them up continues, Louisiana Tech should be looking at their best running back since Dixon left.

Disclaimer: He liked one of my Tweets where I suggested that I always thought he was the best "pure runner", as far back as his Sophomore season. I may be biased.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2021 01:13 PM by ericsaid.)
01-21-2021 01:08 PM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
Just looked up his stats and he has been solid for Appalachian State. This is a great pick up for y'all.
01-21-2021 01:14 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

(01-21-2021 01:08 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  

He averaged 7.4 yards per carry this year...on 68 touches. Extrapolate that average to 200 carries and you get close to 1,500 yards. Given the yard per carry of running backs at App since around 2015, it's likely his average would have ended up somewhere around 6.0 to 6.7 if he had been healthy all year.

In my opinion, he was App's best pure runner the past two seasons. However, when you have Darrynton Evans who is a threat to break away at the slightest crease, and then injuries in 2020, it's hard to see much of the field.

Williams was App's best inside runner with great short area quickness that, when coupled with his excellent vision, helps him find and navigate small holes in the defense; this results in 7 yard gains instead of 2 or 3. Occassionally, that 7 yard gain turns into 30 or 40.

Of the games he did play this season, it seemed like he broke off a long run of 50+ yards or was a shoestring tackle away, and that was with minimal carries. A healthy Williams Jr. in 2020 would have led to him likely declaring for the 2021 NFL Draft. The reason he is leaving App is because Cam Peoples, all 6'2 and 215 lbs of him, figured out how to use his size and trust the offensive line as many of you saw if you watched the North Texas game. As a result, Williams would be splitting carries in his final season to really make an impression on NFL Scouts.

In short, I think App's best pure running back just left. If Holtz streak of taking in quality transfers and building them up continues, Louisiana Tech should be looking at their best running back since Dixon left.

Disclaimer: He liked one of my Tweets where I suggested that I always thought he was the best "pure runner", as far back as his Sophomore season. I may be biased.

Really good detailed input. I’m looking forward to his arrival in Ruston already.
01-26-2021 10:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.