Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coach Sonny Lubick and Colorado State football
Tulsa Guy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tulsa
Coach Sonny Lubick and Colorado State football
Coach Lubick led the Rams to six conference championships and nine bowl games. Lubick's CSU teams were ranked in the Top 25 eight times in his first 11 seasons, and he was at the helm when the Rams beat Arizona in 1994 and Colorado in 2002, both teams ranked in the Top 10 at the time. Lubick's 15 year record at CSU is 108-74. Three of his teams finished the season in the Top 25. This record compares favorably with SDSU, a school largely supported by the majority of AAC fans for AAC conference membership.

The AAC goal is to add BYU, SDSU, and Boise State. If BYU refuses to come, then another MWC team will need to be considered. CSU deserves consideration. CSU is not BYU or Boise State. Who is? But the perception that CSU is a wall flower is not correct. For all schools, whether Michigan, Florida State, or CSU, it comes down to hiring the right coach.

Colorado has almost 6 million people, the second largest state in MWC.

If BYU refuses to join AAC, I would do a scheduling alliance with them similar to Notre Dame/ACC which I believe is 5 games. AAC could offer ESPN 18 western time zone games with Boise State, SDSU, and CSU plus 2 or 3 games with BYU. This position has been expressed by many others on this board and I agree wholeheartedly including making BYU part of AAC's pool bowl. It would boost both BYU and AAC to obtain better bowls, especially if AAC receives an annual slot in the 8-team national football playoff.

The existing MWC leadership has consistenly made several bad management decisions. The worst decision was hiring their commissioner from the Sun Belt. Contrast that with AAC Presidents hiring ESPN executive Mike Aresco. The MWC should have hired an assistant athletic director from a P5 conference with extensive TV experience.

Another bad MWC decision was to deny BYU's request to keep their olympic sports in MWC. MWC could have negotiated to require BYU to play 5 football games with MWC, similar to Notre Dame/ACC scheduling alliance. Foolish pride by MWC leadership who deceived themselves with their own motto at that time "Above the Rest." MWC leadership thought the MWC was so good that they could force BYU to remain in the conference. MWC's foolish pride should be noted by AAC leadership in trying to work something out with BYU....if BYU refuses to join AAC.

If MWC retained BYU for olympic sports, could have MWC then enticed Gonzaga to join MWC? Who knows?

For AAC, doing a football scheduling alliance with BYU is a bit less than half of loaf. But an almost half a loaf is better than no loaf at all. I think of it as three loaves (BSU, SDSU, CSU) and a half (BYU).

CSU and AAC would have a stronger affinity, greater AAC and CSU fan interest and boost CSU recruiting if CSU was admitted as an all sports member if BYU refuses to join AAC. CSU fits within the "foot print" standard and provides a strong academic institution.

As an aside on this MWC leadership management issue, CUSA has been destroyed by abandoning ESPN. MWC's decision to go with FOX is going to come back to haunt them, and rank with as one of their worst decisions among the many bad decisions made by the MWC. Never double cross the mouse. There is no doubt in my mind that ESPN will be helpful in supporting AAC's expansion.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2021 10:50 AM by Tulsa Guy.)
01-16-2021 10:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UHCougar08 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Houston
RE: Coach Sonny Lubick and Colorado State football
All-time record
528–588–33 (.474)
Bowl record
6–11 (.353)
01-16-2021 10:57 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(01-16-2021 10:27 AM)Tulsa Guy Wrote:  Coach Lubick led the Rams to six conference championships and nine bowl games. Lubick's CSU teams were ranked in the Top 25 eight times in his first 11 seasons, and he was at the helm when the Rams beat Arizona in 1994 and Colorado in 2002, both teams ranked in the Top 10 at the time. Lubick's 15 year record at CSU is 108-74. Three of his teams finished the season in the Top 25. This record compares favorably with SDSU, a school largely supported by the majority of AAC fans for AAC conference membership.

The AAC goal is to add BYU, SDSU, and Boise State. If BYU refuses to come, then another MWC team will need to be considered. CSU deserves consideration. CSU is not BYU or Boise State. Who is? But the perception that CSU is a wall flower is not correct. For all schools, whether Michigan, Florida State, or CSU, it comes down to hiring the right coach.

If BYU refuses to join AAC, I would do a scheduling alliance with them similar to Notre Dame/ACC which I believe is 5 games. AAC could offer ESPN 18 western time zone games with Boise State, SDSU, and CSU plus 2 or 3 games with BYU. This position has been expressed by many others on this board and I agree wholeheartedly including making BYU part of AAC's pool bowl. It would boost both BYU and AAC to obtain better bowls, especially if AAC receives an annual slot in the 8-team national football playoff.

The existing MWC leadership has consistenly made several bad management decisions. The worst decision was hiring their commissioner from the Sun Belt. Contrast that with AAC Presidents hiring ESPN executive Mike Aresco. The MWC should have hired an assistant athletic director from a P5 conference with extensive TV experience.

Another bad MWC decision was to deny BYU's request to keep their olympic sports in MWC. MWC could have negotiated to require BYU to play 5 football games with MWC, similar to Notre Dame/ACC scheduling alliance. Foolish pride by MWC leadership who deceived themselves with their own motto at that time "Above the Rest." MWC leadership thought the MWC was so good that they could force BYU to remain in the conference. MWC's foolish pride should be noted by AAC leadership in trying to work something out with BYU....if BYU refuses to join AAC.

If MWC retained BYU for olympic sports, could have MWC then enticed Gonzaga to join MWC? Who knows?

For AAC, doing a football scheduling alliance with BYU is a bit less than half of loaf. But an almost half a loaf is better than no loaf at all. I think of it as three loaves (BSU, SDSU, CSU) and a half (BYU).

CSU and AAC would have a stronger affinity, greater AAC and CSU fan interest and boost CSU recruiting if CSU was admitted as an all sports member if BYU refuses to join AAC. CSU fits within the "foot print" standard and provides a strong academic institution.

As an aside on this MWC leadership management issue, CUSA has been destroyed by abandoning ESPN. MWC's decision to go with FOX is going to come back to haunt them, and rank with as one of their worst decisions among the many bad decisions made by the MWC. Never double cross the mouse. There is no doubt in my mind that ESPN will be helpful in supporting AAC's expansion.

BEH,
Give it up bro. You are trying way too hard.
01-16-2021 11:59 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Lubick left CSU 14 years ago. The last time he guided them to anything over 7 wins was 2002. Aside for Rice, I am not aware of any other program on this message board (in this and the CR forum) who is as consistently lofted into the category of greatness when they have not demonstrated it on the field.
01-16-2021 12:14 PM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
They also had a very brief, but nice little run under Jim McElwain.
01-16-2021 12:42 PM
Advertisement

TUowl06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple/DePaul/K-State
Why Colorado and Colorado State have struggled to regain traction nationally (especially the Buffs) is one of college football's great mysteries. Both schools are excellent academically so that might have something to do with it. McCartney definitely recruited some sketchy figures to Boulder during their heyday and Barnett had issues too so the CU administration might have neutered the program to some extent. Either way, Boulder and Fort Collins are great cities to spend 4 years; Colorado is obviously a beautiful state in general. Folsom Field and its awesome press box is one of the cooler venues in college football while CSU has brand new digs.

Both schools are on my bucket list to visit. I've wanted to see a game at Folsom Field since the Sal Aunese/Darien Hagan days....

I should also note Northern Colorado was a D2 power before falling on their face at the FCS level. All 3 public D1 schools are average to below average. D2 CSU-Pueblo did win a national title recently and remains very good.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2021 01:18 PM by TUowl06.)
01-16-2021 01:12 PM
UHCougar08 Offline
Water Engineer

(01-16-2021 01:12 PM)TUowl06 Wrote:  Why Colorado and Colorado State have struggled to regain traction nationally (especially the Buffs) is one of college football's great mysteries. Both schools are excellent academically so that might have something to do with it. McCartney definitely recruited some sketchy figures to Boulder during their heyday and Barnett had issues too so the CU administration might have neutered the program to some extent. Either way, Boulder and Fort Collins are great cities to spend 4 years; Colorado is obviously a beautiful state in general. Folsom Field and its awesome press box is one of the cooler venues in college football while CSU has brand new digs.

Both schools are on my bucket list to visit. I've wanted to see a game at Folsom Field since the Sal Aunese/Darien Hagan days....

I should also note Northern Colorado was a D2 power before falling on their face at the FCS level. All 3 public D1 schools are average to below average. D2 CSU-Pueblo did win a national title recently and remains very good.

I think part of it has to do with recruiting Texas athletes. Colorado doesn’t seem to be a draw like they were in the Big XII. Anyone know where they focus for recruiting? Maybe CSU could benefit from being in a conference that has Texas teams? Thoughts?
01-16-2021 02:56 PM
BrooklynRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardozo HS
(01-16-2021 02:56 PM)UHCougar08 Wrote:  
(01-16-2021 01:12 PM)TUowl06 Wrote:  Why Colorado and Colorado State have struggled to regain traction nationally (especially the Buffs) is one of college football's great mysteries. Both schools are excellent academically so that might have something to do with it. McCartney definitely recruited some sketchy figures to Boulder during their heyday and Barnett had issues too so the CU administration might have neutered the program to some extent. Either way, Boulder and Fort Collins are great cities to spend 4 years; Colorado is obviously a beautiful state in general. Folsom Field and its awesome press box is one of the cooler venues in college football while CSU has brand new digs.

I think part of it has to do with recruiting Texas athletes. Colorado doesn’t seem to be a draw like they were in the Big XII. Anyone know where they focus for recruiting? Maybe CSU could benefit from being in a conference that has Texas teams? Thoughts?

I would say Colorado, California, and Texas in that order.
01-16-2021 03:23 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
CSU are a midlevel MW team, but I could see them thriving in the AAC West.

The facilities are there to recruit.
01-16-2021 05:36 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(01-16-2021 05:36 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  CSU are a midlevel MW team, but I could see them thriving in the AAC West.

The facilities are there to recruit.

Mid level? Not counting their 1-3 record they have had 10 seasons where they won only 3-4 games in the past 15 years. The AAC has enough programs who can’t get over the hump.
01-16-2021 06:48 PM
Attackcoog Online

Not hugely excited about Colorado St---but they are a more suitable brand option than many recent additions to FBS I consistently hear kicked around as "legitimate options" simply because they happen to be in the eastern part of the US.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2021 01:50 AM by Attackcoog.)
01-17-2021 01:48 AM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
It's time to form a new league and start over.
01-17-2021 06:32 PM
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
(01-16-2021 10:27 AM)Tulsa Guy Wrote:  Coach Lubick led the Rams to six conference championships and nine bowl games. Lubick's CSU teams were ranked in the Top 25 eight times in his first 11 seasons, and he was at the helm when the Rams beat Arizona in 1994 and Colorado in 2002, both teams ranked in the Top 10 at the time. Lubick's 15 year record at CSU is 108-74. Three of his teams finished the season in the Top 25. This record compares favorably with SDSU, a school largely supported by the majority of AAC fans for AAC conference membership.

Look at Gonzaga's deal with the WCC. No way they would have moved to the MWC with or without BYU.
01-18-2021 03:53 PM
Advertisement

Tulsa Guy Offline
2nd String

(01-18-2021 03:53 PM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  

Look at Gonzaga's deal with the WCC. No way they would have moved to the MWC with or without BYU.

WCC recognized its weakness and losing Gonzaga would have made WCC even weaker. Even with the deal given to Gonzaga, the WCC is made much stronger with Gonzaga's membership. The same applies to MWC.

But back to my main point....BYU wanted to keep its basketball and olympic sports in MWC. MWC did not have to cut a deal to obtain BYU basketball and olympic sports like WCC had to do to retain Gonzaga. But MWC said no and, once again, damaged itself.

MWC should have kept BYU basketball and olympic sports and matched WCC's offer to Gonzaga. With Boise State and SDSU contemplating leaving MWC, any possibilities with BYU and Gonzaga are now off the table for MWC.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2021 08:46 PM by Tulsa Guy.)
01-18-2021 08:44 PM
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
(01-18-2021 08:44 PM)Tulsa Guy Wrote:  
(01-18-2021 03:53 PM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  

WCC recognized its weakness and losing Gonzaga would have made WCC even weaker. Even with the deal given to Gonzaga, the WCC is made much stronger with Gonzaga's membership. The same applies to MWC.

But back to my main point....BYU wanted to keep its basketball and olympic sports in MWC. MWC did not have to cut a deal to obtain BYU basketball and olympic sports like WCC had to do to retain Gonzaga. But MWC said no and, once again, damaged itself.

MWC should have kept BYU basketball and olympic sports and matched WCC's offer to Gonzaga. With Boise State and SDSU contemplating leaving MWC, any possibilities with BYU and Gonzaga are now off the table for MWC.

I'm not going to defend the moves the conference made, they've been stupid. But Gonzaga was never a possibility even if we had kept BYU in basketball. Having BYU in their conference does give them a large venue game but the Zags are raking in the money in that conference. They made $12M in 2017 before the new deal that allows them to keep more money if they win in the NCAA tournament (still haven't seen those terms). They have enough freedom in their schedule to play top tier teams and now they are winning those games. They are, essentially, playing with house money now.
01-19-2021 12:02 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

I always imagine Aresco reading this board in front of a fireplace with a nice bottle of Port.

...there is a lot of laughing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
01-20-2021 08:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tulsa Guy Offline
2nd String

(01-20-2021 08:52 AM)panama Wrote:  

I always imagine Aresco reading this board in front of a fireplace with a nice bottle of Port.

...there is a lot of laughing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

GSU's case is certainly with merit. The issue is does AAC add Boise State and hold at 12 members? Or does AAC go to 14 by adding three members which implies a western orientation by adding three MWC teams? It gets confusing if Boise State is unable to join AAC and if BYU declines AAC membership. And, yes, Aresco is probably getting some good laughs from our speculating on this board.
01-20-2021 11:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.