Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WAC and ASUN plans to become FBS football leagues
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

This has serious implications for the AAC. What does it do to the CFP? Do these new conferences automatically get consideration for their champion to be in the CFP? Does the CFP money then start getting split among these new conferences (diluting even further the already limited slice of the pie)? Does this escalate the "breakaway" that has been hinted at? Do we start hearing about a Group of 7?

USFFan
01-15-2021 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
The Texas teams added to the WAC aren’t capable of moving up as they don’t have the money
01-15-2021 01:10 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
RE: WAC and ASUN plans to become FBS football leagues
Their additional would almost certainly cause another divisional split. I'd imagine we'd be on the winning side of the split with a handful of MWC programs.
01-15-2021 01:25 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(01-15-2021 01:07 PM)usffan Wrote:  

This has serious implications for the AAC. What does it do to the CFP? Do these new conferences automatically get consideration for their champion to be in the CFP? Does the CFP money then start getting split among these new conferences (diluting even further the already limited slice of the pie)? Does this escalate the "breakaway" that has been hinted at? Do we start hearing about a Group of 7?

USFFan

It means P6 and G6 or maybe a split 0f 6/6
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021 01:58 PM by GoOwls111.)
01-15-2021 01:56 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple

USFFan

Answering your question with a question:

Where will the FB independents - - UConn, UMass, etc. end up?
01-15-2021 03:03 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

USFFan

This has no implication for the AAC. Its an indication that the Atlantic Sun leadership has absolutely no clue regarding the rules governing schools moving from FCS to FBS. It reminds of when Banosky and Thompson were going to merge the MW and CUSA---and actually thought the merged conference would have 2 automatic bids to the NCAA basketball tournament. The people in charge of these conferences can be stunningly uninformed at times.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021 03:32 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-15-2021 03:31 PM
Advertisement

BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

They can plan anything they desire. The question is, can they achieve their goal. I think not.
01-15-2021 03:55 PM
TUowl06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple/DePaul/K-State
I really don't understand what some of these schools are thinking. When you have limited resources (endowments in the $40-$50 million dollar range) and fall well down on the state school pecking order the hurdles are higher than the ultimate potential. Several of these schools would be relegated to D2 status if they were in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, New York etc. As it is, they believe they have the resources to compete at the highest level in the most "resource draining" college sport.

Given the current climate, as long as the Montana schools, South Dakota State, South Dakota, JMU, Delaware, UNH, Maine, Stony Brook (quality land grant/flagship/AAU etc universities) and others stay in FCS NDSU should as well; win titles, enjoy the success and national exposure. If a non-neutered MWC calls then perhaps I'd change my mind.
01-15-2021 04:11 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

USFFan

does it affect our cfp distributions/g5 slot? no.... as it is it would mean they just arent getting anything and arent part of the g5 distribution, also they would have no access to the ny6.... the current deal isnt "for anyone outside of the p5" it specifically names which conferences are a part of it, and how it will be divided between the 5...

it all likelyhood we'd have to go back to the renegotiation table when the current deal is done in 2024-25, and create something new to accommodate them ... hopefully by them we'll have done enough to be negotiated separately from the other conferences

im sure the media will coin the term g7, but contractually will still be a g5...
it will not do a single thing to p5 breakaway, they do not care one bit what smaller conferences do

--if anything the biggest role this plays "that is likely" is that liberty and new mexico st goes off the indy market, umass and uconn will do everything in their power to join the conference football only

--some thing unlikely but add more fuel to that fire: the mass redistribution of lower level teams to reduce travel cost , with more teams available: c-usa, subelt, now asun and wac teams especially in oly

-- does this affect us at all?.. in a minor way-- in 2025 there will be a new system in place.. in either a g7 auto bid, or g7 playoff spot.. more teams means more chances for someone to pull a boise and potential take our spot if we havent secured our own bid by then
01-15-2021 04:17 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
UConn finally has some schools worthy of associating its football program with...
01-15-2021 04:38 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Online
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
You mean Costal Carolina’s instant success inspired others to make the jump too?! You don’t say?!

Y’all were rooting for this.

The only thing we can do is pillage the MWC for teams and hope that has a trickle down of MWC poaching WAC. Sunbelt might want to add ASun teams to get to 12.

Hopefully the P5 adds teams or the AAC becomes a Power conference and we split off as some sort of independent league that pays players.
01-15-2021 05:02 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(01-15-2021 05:02 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  You mean Costal Carolina’s instant success inspired others to make the jump too?! You don’t say?!

Y’all were rooting for this.

The only thing we can do is pillage the MWC for teams and hope that has a trickle down of MWC poaching WAC. Sunbelt might want to add ASun teams to get to 12.

Hopefully the P5 adds teams or the AAC becomes a Power conference and we split off as some sort of independent league that pays players.

Yes what you stated is best deal for AAC and maybe that’s what would lead to raiding the MWC if that split does happen.
01-15-2021 07:35 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(01-15-2021 03:31 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

USFFan

This has no implication for the AAC. Its an indication that the Atlantic Sun leadership has absolutely no clue regarding the rules governing schools moving from FCS to FBS. It reminds of when Banosky and Thompson were going to merge the MW and CUSA---and actually thought the merged conference would have 2 automatic bids to the NCAA basketball tournament. The people in charge of these conferences can be stunningly uninformed at times.

It would have had a better chance of flying if they’d instead announced:
CUSA will no longer sponsor football. All CUSA teams will join the MWC in football.

That checks the boxes for keeping both auto bids in MBB, and qualifying the new MWC for the (congressionally mandated) criteria for a BCS auto-bid.

One little (huge) problem is that the BCS was on the way out and the strengthened MWC would not have had any better chance of talking their way into the CFP “Power Five” than did the Big East.
01-16-2021 08:21 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(01-15-2021 04:11 PM)TUowl06 Wrote:  I really don't understand what some of these schools are thinking. When you have limited resources (endowments in the $40-$50 million dollar range) and fall well down on the state school pecking order the hurdles are higher than the ultimate potential.

Sadly, they are infected with the same thinking that basically everyone not in the P5 is. They have dreams of one day being Alabama and believe they are taking Step One, or Step Two or whatever on the journey towards that dream.

07-coffee3
01-16-2021 09:09 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(01-15-2021 01:56 PM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  

USFFan

666 the number of the beast....07-coffee3
01-16-2021 04:38 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(01-16-2021 08:21 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  
(01-15-2021 03:31 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

USFFan

It would have had a better chance of flying if they’d instead announced:
CUSA will no longer sponsor football. All CUSA teams will join the MWC in football.

That checks the boxes for keeping both auto bids in MBB, and qualifying the new MWC for the (congressionally mandated) criteria for a BCS auto-bid.

One little (huge) problem is that the BCS was on the way out and the strengthened MWC would not have had any better chance of talking their way into the CFP “Power Five” than did the Big East.

Yup. I think the schools in both the MW and CUSA would have been better off had they gone through with the merger. It would have been a very interesting conference--and the only college athletic conference with a national footprint.
01-16-2021 05:43 PM
Advertisement

gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(01-16-2021 09:09 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(01-15-2021 04:11 PM)TUowl06 Wrote:  I really don't understand what some of these schools are thinking. When you have limited resources (endowments in the $40-$50 million dollar range) and fall well down on the state school pecking order the hurdles are higher than the ultimate potential.

Sadly, they are infected with the same thinking that basically everyone not in the P5 is. They have dreams of one day being Alabama and believe they are taking Step One, or Step Two or whatever on the journey towards that dream.

07-coffee3

Do they really think it's a possibility? Or, are they trying to hold on to/increase donations in the COVID era? Everybody's hurting and it wouldn't surprise me to see rollouts with emphasis on strategic planning for fundraising purposes. I've seen it firsthand with my eldest in terms of "planned amenities" in virtual tours and PR info. Granted my skeptical side may be showing:/
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2021 06:27 PM by gulfcoastgal.)
01-16-2021 06:25 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I can totally see the autonomous ("Power") conferences going for this, provided their share of the CFP doesn't get touched, but instead of the g conferences dividing their share 5 ways, now it would be divided 7 ways.

That would hasten the demise of the g conferences and the realignment of FCS...which is the NCAA's end-goal.
01-16-2021 11:32 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(01-16-2021 04:38 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(01-15-2021 01:56 PM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  

USFFan

666 the number of the beast....07-coffee3

If the current 5 AQ conferences split off and form a P6 with the AAC they can play the CFP format and the future G6 conferences can play the BCS format.
01-17-2021 12:14 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
If this takes money out of their pocket, UC and USF are going to be really pissed about this--- we are the only two schools making less and having less opportunity than we did ten years ago (New Mexico State too, but nobody cares about them).
01-17-2021 02:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.