Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Question about Charlotte (the city, not the university)
Bookmark and Share
Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
What is Myers Park like these days? I know it used to be an upper-middle class neighborhood, but my experience was not-recent.

Trying to help someone make a long-term housing decision
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 03:13 PM by 49RFootballNow.)
01-12-2021 05:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Question about Charlotte (the city, not the university)
(01-12-2021 05:53 PM)Cardiff Wrote:  What is Myers Park like these days? I know it used to be an upper-middle class neighborhood, but my experience was not-recent.

I would describe it as upper class. You probably won't find many houses under $1 million that are not candidates for doing a tear down and putting up something bigger and nicer. I have friends there in multi-million dollar homes. Your neighbors there are typically going to be bank executives, CEOs, doctors/lawyers, and most people have their kids in private schools. It is mostly old houses on oak lined streets. Beautiful area. Here is a link to real estate in the neighborhood.

https://www.allentate.com/search/view//C...0Park%20NC
01-12-2021 06:16 PM
Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
Gracias
01-12-2021 06:17 PM
ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App
(01-12-2021 05:53 PM)Cardiff Wrote:  What is Myers Park like these days? I know it used to be an upper-middle class neighborhood, but my experience was not-recent.

Agree with Nugget you’re looking at $1MM+ unless something is seriously wrong. South Park/Foxcroft are a similarly priced alternative if they work in Southpark. Dilworth and Elizabeth are in the vicinity of MP but priced a little lower. $6-900k. For my money the dilworth side of freedom park within walking distance of Park Road shopping center is the meeting place between price, convenience and amenities.
01-12-2021 06:42 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Both of the above responses are true, imho

If you’ve got the $$$, it’s a great area. And agree about Dilworth, too.

Sorry to go off-point, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that the most baffling/inexplicable/notorious Missing-Person case in the history of Georgia concerned a young woman who had grown up in Myers Park.

Her name was Mary Shotwell Little. Went to Myers Park HS and was married at Myers Park Presbyterian just a few weeks before she went missing in 1965. Atlanta-media and true-crime geeks still discuss that case sometimes.
01-12-2021 07:33 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says Myers Park is old money Charlotte.
01-13-2021 09:44 AM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
Myers Park isn't just old money any longer. It's probably 40/60 second or third generation/transplant money at this time.

If Charlotte is home the section from uptown to hwy 51 between Park and Providence Rd. is the best in the city. If that price point doesn't work you can get similar homes with more land in Waxhaw and Fort Mill. Lower taxes and better public schools too.
01-14-2021 10:34 AM
Dowless Offline
Special Teams

Weddington has the best schools in the area that is not private. $100k plus price difference in houses for that district compared to the ones next to it.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 10:44 AM by Dowless.)
01-14-2021 10:43 AM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
Why do the kids have to go to private school if the neighborhoods are that expensive? I moved to the most expensive area in the area I live and the public schools are great for this reason.
01-14-2021 10:50 AM
NoogaRaider Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MT/Parity
(01-14-2021 10:50 AM)SouthernMiss3613 Wrote:  Why do the kids have to go to private school if the neighborhoods are that expensive? I moved to the most expensive area in the area I live and the public schools are great for this reason.

Its a self perpetuating problem. I live in Chattanooga and its one of the highest concentrations of private schooled education in America. 30%

Even in the extremely affluent areas, all of the kids are private schooled, so it leaves the lower demographic incomes in public school, throughout the city. You have to get pretty far out (Soddy) to see a mix of incomes in the public schools.

Even if this fights an individuals moralistic view point, its hard to lead the charge with your own child.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 11:17 AM by NoogaRaider.)
01-14-2021 11:11 AM
Nugget49er Offline
1st String

(01-14-2021 10:50 AM)SouthernMiss3613 Wrote:  Why do the kids have to go to private school if the neighborhoods are that expensive? I moved to the most expensive area in the area I live and the public schools are great for this reason.

Part of it is just appearances. If you are making $750k a year all of your friends have their kids in private school, and you don't want to look bad by sending yours to the public school. Plus at $25-30k per kid, per year, you can easily swing it. Additionally, the premier private schools in Charlotte really are great schools. The fascinating thing though is to see parents send their kids to one from JK-9, and then switch their kids to the public high school. At the private school a smart kid is just one of the crowd, where everybody has good grades and lots of extracurricular activities. When they move to the public HS they often move to the top of their class because they have been in a more rigorous school instead of one targeted to meet everybody's needs. Suddenly your kid is valedictorian and has even better college choices.
01-14-2021 11:16 AM
Advertisement

ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

[Image: yep-i-know-13660f5d4f.jpg]
01-14-2021 12:38 PM
ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App
(01-14-2021 10:43 AM)Dowless Wrote:  Weddington has the best schools in the area that is not private. $100k plus price difference in houses for that district compared to the ones next to it.

my wife teaches at Weddington, it's pretty crazy there. They usually have a few kids go ivy league/equivalent.

Marvin is even more competitive.
01-14-2021 12:50 PM
YA! Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
RE: OT: Question about Charlotte (the city, not the university)
(01-14-2021 11:11 AM)NoogaRaider Wrote:  

Its a self perpetuating problem. I live in Chattanooga and its one of the highest concentrations of private schooled education in America. 30%

Even in the extremely affluent areas, all of the kids are private schooled, so it leaves the lower demographic incomes in public school, throughout the city. You have to get pretty far out (Soddy) to see a mix of incomes in the public schools.

Even if this fights an individuals moralistic view point, its hard to lead the charge with your own child.
Yep--I went to McCallie in the late 80's and no kids that I knew went to public school in the city. Between my school, GPS, Baylor and the catholic private, there are only so many kids to go around in that small town.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 04:05 PM by YA!.)
01-14-2021 04:04 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Unless they want close to Uptown, I'd stay out of Mecklenburg county HIGH TAXES marginal schools. Go Union or Cabarrus county. Union county is in high demand when I was buying in 2019 most homes sold within a week of listing.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 06:00 PM by THE NC Herd Fan.)
01-14-2021 05:57 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
(01-14-2021 05:57 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  Unless they want close to Uptown, I'd stay out of Mecklenburg county HIGH TAXES marginal schools. Go Union or Cabarrus county. Union county is in high demand when I was buying in 2019 most homes sold within a week of listing.

Serious question, but what difference does closing Uptown make? I lived downtown for 4 years and loved to walk everywhere...work, Uptown, restaurants/bars, parks, etc. There was be high school across the interstate almost looking down on downtown. I don’t remember any other schools even when I had to drive south for meetings with clients, shopping, etc.

Uptown was nice as long as you weren’t dumb enough to try to drive downtown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 06:21 PM by blazr.)
01-14-2021 06:19 PM
Advertisement

NoogaRaider Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MT/Parity
(01-14-2021 04:04 PM)YA! Wrote:  

Yep--I went to McCallie in the late 80's and no kids that I knew went to public school in the city. Between my school, GPS, Baylor and the catholic private, there are only so many kids to go around in that small town.

Recommend it? Our son goes to Bright now and we keep hearing "McCallie Men, Baylor boys". Its crazy how divisive it all is. They wont let the kids wear middle/high school paraphernalia on free dress days because of the contention.

Not sure when youve visitied, but Chatt is bursting at the seams now.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 08:22 PM by NoogaRaider.)
01-14-2021 08:20 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
(01-14-2021 10:34 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Myers Park isn't just old money any longer. It's probably 40/60 second or third generation/transplant money at this time.

If Charlotte is home the section from uptown to hwy 51 between Park and Providence Rd. is the best in the city. If that price point doesn't work you can get similar homes with more land in Waxhaw and Fort Mill. Lower taxes and better public schools too.

Eddie is from Myers Park.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=19530164]
01-14-2021 09:08 PM
chidave Offline
Special Teams

(01-14-2021 08:20 PM)NoogaRaider Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 04:04 PM)YA! Wrote:  

Recommend it? Our son goes to Bright now and we keep hearing "McCallie Men, Baylor boys". Its crazy how divisive it all is. They wont let the kids wear middle/high school paraphernalia on free dress days because of the contention.

Not sure when youve visitied, but Chatt is bursting at the seams now.

Volkswagen was a game changer for Chattanooga.
01-15-2021 08:38 AM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

clt flew into Chattanooga during a snowstorm years ago.
01-15-2021 09:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.