Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Louisville and Georgia Tech to Face Off in 2023 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Louisville and Georgia Tech to Face Off in 2023 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game
Louisville and Georgia Tech will open ACC play in the 2023 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game set to be played Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. The 2023 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game will be broadcast on either ESPN or ABC.

Link
https://chick-fil-akickoffgame.com/news/...-game.aspx
01-07-2021 04:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: Louisville and Georgia Tech to Face Off in 2023 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game
Interesting.....no SEC.
01-07-2021 08:01 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(01-07-2021 08:01 PM)XLance Wrote:  Interesting.....no SEC.

Wasn't much to choose from.

Alabama is playing Texas at home.
Auburn is playing @ Cal
LSU is playing FSU in Orlando
Ole Miss is hosting GT
Miss State is hosting Arizona
Florida is playing @ Utah and hosting FSU
UGA is @ OU and @ GT
SCar is playing UNC in Charlotte and hosting Clemson
UT is @ BYU
UK is @ Akron and @ Louisville

Nobody else from the SEC makes sense in the game.
01-07-2021 10:48 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(01-07-2021 04:56 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  Louisville and Georgia Tech will open ACC play in the 2023 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game set to be played Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. The 2023 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game will be broadcast on either ESPN or ABC.

Link
https://chick-fil-akickoffgame.com/news/...-game.aspx

I hope both teams are on an upswing ending the 2022 season so there will be some interest and hype going into the game.
01-08-2021 07:30 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Any word if the schedules will be out in the next 7-14 days?
01-08-2021 10:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Georgia Tech has an agreement with the Falcons to play in the Benz once a year through 2026. This probably means GT's home schedule in '23 is a little scant in terms of high profile games they're willing to move.
01-08-2021 10:57 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline

(01-08-2021 10:57 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Georgia Tech has an agreement with the Falcons to play in the Benz once a year through 2026. This probably means GT's home schedule in '23 is a little scant in terms of high profile games they're willing to move.

So instead of turning Bobby Dodd orange every other year we can look forward to turning the dome orange?
01-08-2021 12:29 PM

(01-08-2021 12:29 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(01-08-2021 10:57 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Georgia Tech has an agreement with the Falcons to play in the Benz once a year through 2026. This probably means GT's home schedule in '23 is a little scant in terms of high profile games they're willing to move.

So instead of turning Bobby Dodd orange every other year we can look forward to turning the dome orange?

Instead of turning the Upper North Endzone orange you'll get to turn half of the Benz non-box seating orange. It'll just cost your fans a few million dollars that the GTAA gets to vacuum up.

GT is probably going to end up playing in the Benz for two seasons whenever Bobby Dodd is finally dealt with. They're losing 7 figures a year in lost revenue because the waiting list for box seats is a decade long. Meanwhile pretty much nobody other than an intoxicated FSU/Clemson/UGAg fan wants to hire a sherpa to sit in the Upper North. I can't blame them. I was up there for the "Miracle on North Avenue". Couldn't even hear the band. The entire O'Leary expansion of Bobby Dodd was a rushed mistake by an AD with his hat firmly in hand about to walk out the door. It shows.
01-08-2021 12:40 PM
Kaplony Offline

(01-08-2021 12:40 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

Instead of turning the Upper North Endzone orange you'll get to turn half of the Benz non-box seating orange. It'll just cost your fans a few million dollars that the GTAA gets to vacuum up.

GT is probably going to end up playing in the Benz for two seasons whenever Bobby Dodd is finally dealt with. They're losing 7 figures a year in lost revenue because the waiting list for box seats is a decade long. Meanwhile pretty much nobody other than an intoxicated FSU/Clemson/UGAg fan wants to hire a sherpa to sit in the Upper North. I can't blame them. I was up there for the "Miracle on North Avenue". Couldn't even hear the band. The entire O'Leary expansion of Bobby Dodd was a rushed mistake by an AD with his hat firmly in hand about to walk out the door. It shows.

<snickers> Just the upper north endzone huh?

https://thespun.com/college-football/pho...oing-viral

01-08-2021 02:45 PM

(01-08-2021 02:45 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  <snickers> Just the upper north endzone huh?

Ah yes, let's pick Clemson entering the all time program high and GT at the tail end of a Paul Johnson slide be the standard. No cherry picking there at all. Also the top corners of the east are visitor. The bottom right wedge is visitor band. The photo is taken from the home side (largest) stands at Bobby Dodd.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2021 08:44 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
01-08-2021 08:43 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
So will this be an OOC game between the two or are they just moving a previously scheduled conference game to the Kick Off Game?
01-08-2021 11:21 PM
Advertisement

IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
(01-08-2021 11:21 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  So will this be an OOC game between the two or are they just moving a previously scheduled conference game to the Kick Off Game?

Just moving an already scheduled game between Georgia Tech and Louisville.
01-09-2021 04:29 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
(01-09-2021 04:29 AM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  
(01-08-2021 11:21 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  So will this be an OOC game between the two or are they just moving a previously scheduled conference game to the Kick Off Game?

Just moving an already scheduled game between Georgia Tech and Louisville.

That is what Contract is all about... The surprise is that the GT team is getting in 2 KO games one with Clemson and the other with Louisville. I actually like it as it is hot as balls at Bobby Dodd in Sept being in the Benz will be a much more enjoyable enviroment
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2021 08:35 PM by GTFletch.)
01-09-2021 08:29 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(01-08-2021 08:43 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(01-08-2021 02:45 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  <snickers> Just the upper north endzone huh?

Ah yes, let's pick Clemson entering the all time program high and GT at the tail end of a Paul Johnson slide be the standard. No cherry picking there at all. Also the top corners of the east are visitor. The bottom right wedge is visitor band. The photo is taken from the home side (largest) stands at Bobby Dodd.

Isn't Clemson about 120 miles away from the ATL? Did Clemson travel a bunch? Sure but... Clemson's fan base is surely littered throughout North Georgia and adjacent SC
01-09-2021 10:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(01-08-2021 12:40 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

GT is never doing to invest the money needed to bring Bobby Dodd up to spec. The school is too invested in the 'historic' nature of Grant Field to initiate to complete overhaul the stadium needs.
01-11-2021 03:42 PM

(01-11-2021 03:42 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  GT is never doing to invest the money needed to bring Bobby Dodd up to spec. The school is too invested in the 'historic' nature of Grant Field to initiate to complete overhaul the stadium needs.

I don't sense too much Wrigley/Fenway nostalgia from the GT fanbase. I'd wager gripes about lack of luxury seating, the awfulness of the upper north endzone, lack of ADA-compliance in the West Stands, so-so bathrooms, and so-so concessions outnumbers the Wrigley-esk fawning easily.

The new Edge Center (part of AI2020) will redo one corner of BDS. And not really effect plans to do something more holistic since Edge is right at Techwood/Bobby Dodd Way at the hard corner of where construction for BDS could be.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2021 04:42 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
01-11-2021 04:40 PM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(01-11-2021 04:40 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(01-11-2021 03:42 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  GT is never doing to invest the money needed to bring Bobby Dodd up to spec. The school is too invested in the 'historic' nature of Grant Field to initiate to complete overhaul the stadium needs.

I don't sense too much Wrigley/Fenway nostalgia from the GT fanbase. I'd wager gripes about lack of luxury seating, the awfulness of the upper north endzone, lack of ADA-compliance in the West Stands, so-so bathrooms, and so-so concessions outnumbers the Wrigley-esk fawning easily.

The new Edge Center (part of AI2020) will redo one corner of BDS. And not really effect plans to do something more holistic since Edge is right at Techwood/Bobby Dodd Way at the hard corner of where construction for BDS could be.

I never assumed it was the fan base, but the admin. If that is not the case, then what is the hold up? We know they are reluctant to do anything on the East stands because of ADA compliance.
01-11-2021 09:11 PM

(01-11-2021 09:11 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

I never assumed it was the fan base, but the admin. If that is not the case, then what is the hold up? We know they are reluctant to do anything on the East stands because of ADA compliance.

When you spent 15 years being mismanaged by bad Presidents and ADs, a new stadium isn't exactly the most critical purchase. The non-FB infrastructure is nearly all new at this point after Radakovich went on a spending spree on credit card. They've got the right AD and President. There's just more pressing issues first. Russel has been replaced with Adidas. They have a proper flagship that you can hear outside the perimeter when the sun is down. They're finally treating recruiting like it matters. They've done a rebrand including a formally defined color set (no more ever changing shades of gold). So far every staff change has been a home run, though changing from a spread option to something else is not pretty.
01-11-2021 11:12 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(01-11-2021 09:11 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

Great Point

The Carrier Dome had the same issue. If you start renovations that almost always kicks in ADA. A $150M renovation can become $200M real fast. The Dome is doing some ADA stuff but not everything yet.
01-12-2021 09:49 AM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .

Do you know what is under Techwood Drive?

Before the Research Triangle Development vultures got ahold of NC State's basketball arena the WWII/Civil Defense quality sub basements and infrastructure below that was a problem with any expansion of Reynolds and that still did not address the parking problems. The developers could make more money out at the Fairgrounds and that's how we lost an on campus facility that was worth 5-8 points a game.

It seems to me that the engineering to expand on Techwood would require a building at least 60 feet deep and 80 feet above the current grade. Then you would need an elevated wrap around concourse on the north side and across the street to the Varsity Drive in. It's doable, but damn expensive.
01-12-2021 10:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.