Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Discussion Around the NCAA
Bookmark and Share
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
OT: Discussion Around the NCAA
Since it sounds like we wanted a thread for all NCAA discussion outside of the CAA, I will begin it with the recent announcement.

Looks like a full 68 team tournament will happen and it will happen all in the state of Indiana for the bubbles. They will be playing games mostly downtown Indianapolis in 3 arenas (Pacers, IUPUI and Butler) with some games outside of Indianapolis in West Lafayette (Purdue) and Bloomington (Indiana).

IUPUI's home is the state fairgrounds here and it also hosts the minor league hockey here as well as the horizon leagues championship. It is a dated building but holds 6800. With it being a bubble that would indicate no fans. But the buildings being used are certainly historic venues (Hinkle, Mackey, Assembly Hall and Indiana Coliseum)
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021 02:09 PM by dan10.)
01-04-2021 02:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

RE: OT: Discussion Around the NCAA
i might throw in some discussion about other sports too. i like to talk about them but want to stay away from facebook, twitter, etc. your opinions mean a lot more than some random idiot on twitter or the guy from my high school that never left the new tripoli/germansville metroplex.

i promise i won't talk about politics.

for example...i really like how the sixers are playing. call me a bandwagon fan but i can only watch the nba when the sixers are good. the combination of a new coach plus what seems like some really good personnel moves have made a huge difference. there is suddenly a lot of depth. it'll be interesting to see how they do against brooklyn who i think is coming up soon.

bubble in indy seems like the only way to go. like i said in the other thread...i think the conferences should look into something similar for a condensed regular season and tournament. we've been watching the world junior hockey tournament and it would be something like that with more "pool play" ahead of the "medal rounds" that would include everyone.
01-04-2021 03:59 PM
J.B. Offline

Since you want to talk about other sports, what about the Eagles little tank job last night? I'm totally fine with it. I'd rather see the Football Team in the playoffs over the Giants. They probably shouldn't have put Sudfeld in the game because it really made things look bad. Regardless, the 6-10 Giants shouldn't be whining about not making the playoffs because, well, they're 6-10.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021 06:15 PM by J.B..)
01-04-2021 06:15 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

(01-04-2021 06:15 PM)J.B. Wrote:  Since you want to talk about other sports, what about the Eagles little tank job last night? I'm totally fine with it. I'd rather see the Football Team in the playoffs over the Giants. They probably shouldn't have put Sudfeld in the game because it really made things look bad. Regardless, the 6-10 Giants shouldn't be whining about not making the playoffs because, well, they're 6-10.

i agree with you on pretty much every count. usually i don't like tanking but it shows how much i checked out on the season. went to bed at halftime. i told my wife it would've been more interesting if fans were there since a decent number of them would have lost their minds. imagine paying to see that?

i'm probably more frustrated knowing not much is going to change. i'm good with doug coming back. roseman not so much. he seems more interested in playing games than bringing in good football players. there isn't much talk about how he railroaded ertz like he did with wentz by using a 2nd round pick on goedert. carson hasn't help himself obviously. he might look at least a little better if they used high picks to add talent instead of drafting somebody's replacement who doesn't need to be replaced.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2021 07:50 AM by hiroshimacarp.)
01-05-2021 07:49 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I like the bubble for the tournament. I even like that its right here in my backyard. I dislike the fact that since its a bubble that would indicate fans wont be allowed in beyond probably family.
01-05-2021 09:26 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

In other news the other night some of you may have seen or heard that Bruiser got to "win" in charge. Cal got tossed against Miss St and Bru took over the reigns and they won in double OT. Life must be difficult being in charge of a bunch of highly ranked athletes. Seeing Kentucky struggle badly this year has been a beautiful sight. Too bad it wont stop them from getting an invite to the dance
01-05-2021 09:31 AM
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

doug is out with the eagles.

the pieces i've caught are saying he was tired of being told what to do. sounds like there were different opinions in the organization. we'll never know who fell on what side. roseman still needs to go. my guess is doug was sick of his crap in particular.

i feel like a lot of the decisions this season make a lot more sense. doug was like the little kid acting out by doing things that would push everybody's buttons. he went for 2 when there was no logical reason to go for 2. that always stood out to me as lacking any sort of reason...unless he didn't trust his kicker to make an ep let alone a field goal.

no idea who i want as a replacement. i'm just glad i bought every piece of eagles super bowl memorabilia as i felt was necessary because it will probably never happen again. i explained to evan last night that i'm rooting for the bills now like i did when i was a kid because the eagles could never sniff the playoffs. at least one thing is back to "normal" even if it took buffalo 25 years to win a playoff game.
01-11-2021 04:12 PM
J.B. Offline

Pederson is one of just 9 NFL head coaches who has won a Super Bowl as a head coach. So unless he drank a lot of fairy juice that year, he's obviously a very capable head coach. Usually when a coach gets fired in Philadelphia he clearly has worn out his welcome. That's not the case with Doug, and I honestly don't know who they could get who is better. I'll bet that Doug has a new job as an NFL head coach before the Eagles sign their replacement.

Here's an interesting question, that I don't know the answer for. When was the last time that an NFL head coach was fired within three years of winning a Super Bowl?
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2021 07:12 PM by J.B..)
01-11-2021 07:10 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

i heard somewhere the soonest anyone has been fired was 6 years. can't 100% confirm. belichick probably skews those numbers a bit. point is well taken though.

biggest credit to doug is the players always put it on the line for him. you could never question their effort probably because you could never question his effort. despite poor draft picks and tons of injuries...he found ways to make his team competitive late in the season. compare that to tomlin who had his team throw in the towel last night against cleveland.

i'm getting progressively more upset...maybe because i'm getting carried away with the comparison to so many other situations i find myself around. people like howie roseman get reputations they did nothing to deserve for reasons most reasonable people don't understand. they push around the people who are the boots on the ground getting the job done. eventually those people get frustrated enough to take off.
01-11-2021 07:23 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

It realmuto is overrated.

Tell me I’m wrong.
01-26-2021 05:57 PM
J.B. Offline

(01-26-2021 05:57 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  It realmuto is overrated.

Tell me I’m wrong.

I'll tell you the answer in 3-5 years. Being a pro sports GM is tough work. Lots of projecting but no guarantees that you'll be right. Hopefully the Harper/Realmuto duo works out.
01-26-2021 08:22 PM
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

i think my beef is phillies fans (and all philly fans for that matter) seem to pick certain guys who can't do anything wrong...just like they pick guys who can't do anything right. it's either/or and hard to swing things to the opposite site.

people talk about realmuto like he's the greatest player in the history of the game. i get .280 is a good average for a catcher and i'm sure he helps them defensively. i'd rather have pitchers that don't put runners on in the first place. he has something like 90 career home runs so it's not like he's a big time power hitter either.

good player...yes. make or break for a championship team...i'm not so sure.

biggest problem i see is they don't seem to be able to produce anything within their farm system. we saw a bunch of guys in reading who wound up with the phillies. haseley has had some impact and the jury is still out. it would be nice if they could surround harper/realmuto with some good young players that are cheap. especially pitchers.
01-27-2021 12:37 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

what does anyone thing will happen with carson wentz?

we'll never know the truth about what's going on. i think there's growing evidence that everyone...carson and doug included...are sick of the leadership. they both wanted out which might explain why they both sucked this year. this could be roseman and lurie's most catastrophic decision of all to miscalcuate that getting rid of doug would make carson happy.

we're held hostage to bad leadership. sound familiar?
02-07-2021 12:10 PM
J.B. Offline

(02-07-2021 12:10 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  what does anyone thing will happen with carson wentz?

we'll never know the truth about what's going on. i think there's growing evidence that everyone...carson and doug included...are sick of the leadership. they both wanted out which might explain why they both sucked this year. this could be roseman and lurie's most catastrophic decision of all to miscalculate that getting rid of doug would make carson happy.

we're held hostage to bad leadership. sound familiar?

Unless they can get a ridiculously good deal for Wentz that would put the Eagles into instant contender mode for next year, then I would rather they keep both quarterbacks and let Wentz and Hurts battle it out in the summer. Besides, with the high frequency that quarterbacks get injured, there's a good chance that they might need both.
02-07-2021 01:34 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

i'm with you on keeping him. it sounds like he doesn't want to be there and it's hard to keep a guy like that around. who knows what's really going on? everyone has their unnamed sources and really all we can do is wait for something to actually happen.

i keep hearing foles coming back to philly as a possibility. as president of the nick foles fan club (unofficially)...i hope this doesn't happen. the eagles would essentially be asking for a do-over and creating another qb controversy. i personally don't think hurts is an nfl quarterback based on what i saw from him in college...but creating unnecessary drama won't help the situation.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021 12:54 PM by hiroshimacarp.)
02-08-2021 12:53 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Only deal I heard that was nearly finalized is with Chicago and is for Foles, a WR a 1st and future late round pick for Wentz. So get ready for Foles again. As a non-Eagles fan, I think its hilarious if it happens that Philly would trade for Foles
02-08-2021 02:28 PM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

(02-08-2021 02:28 PM)dan10 Wrote:  Only deal I heard that was nearly finalized is with Chicago and is for Foles, a WR a 1st and future late round pick for Wentz. So get ready for Foles again. As a non-Eagles fan, I think its hilarious if it happens that Philly would trade for Foles

Foles will likely go down as the best backup quarterback in NFL History. I'd be interested in seeing his stats comparisons (including postseason) in years when he started the season as a backup vs. years in which he started as the starter.
His best years were 2013, 2017, 2018, all in which he started as a backup.
02-08-2021 02:42 PM
J.B. Offline

(02-08-2021 02:28 PM)dan10 Wrote:  Only deal I heard that was nearly finalized is with Chicago and is for Foles, a WR a 1st and future late round pick for Wentz. So get ready for Foles again. As a non-Eagles fan, I think its hilarious if it happens that Philly would trade for Foles

Foles will likely go down as the best backup quarterback in NFL History. I'd be interested in seeing his stats comparisons (including postseason) in years when he started the season as a backup vs. years in which he started as the starter.
His best years were 2013, 2017, 2018, all in which he started as a backup.
02-08-2021 02:42 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Ivy League announced cancellation of the spring sports.
02-18-2021 02:41 PM
J.B. Offline

(02-18-2021 02:41 PM)dan10 Wrote:  Ivy League announced cancellation of the spring sports.

Wow. One thing I head that the IL is doing is allowing student athletes to remain at their school as graduate students for an extra year so all student affected by these shutdowns can get an extra year of eligibility.
02-18-2021 05:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.