Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
ACC - SEC swap proposal
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
ACC - SEC swap proposal
On the realignment board, JRsec suggested a team swap between the SEC and ACC. But it wasn't a swap I've seen very often. His suggestion was to move Vanderbilt to the ACC in exchange for NC State. The more I thought about it, the more I liked it. And I could certainly see why ESPN might like it as well.

The gist of it was that Vandy might like to move to a league where they wouldn't be embarrassed in football, while State might appreciate both the pay raise and the chance to get out from under UNC's thumb politically.

Is this idea too far out there? What do you think?
01-04-2021 12:24 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: ACC - SEC swap proposal
(01-04-2021 12:24 PM)ken d Wrote:  On the realignment board, JRsec suggested a team swap between the SEC and ACC. But it wasn't a swap I've seen very often. His suggestion was to move Vanderbilt to the ACC in exchange for NC State. The more I thought about it, the more I liked it. And I could certainly see why ESPN might like it as well.

The gist of it was that Vandy might like to move to a league where they wouldn't be embarrassed in football, while State might appreciate both the pay raise and the chance to get out from under UNC's thumb politically.

I don't know the ins and outs of the UNC/NCSU relationship but if it's up to UNC to let NCSU go... I don't think it happens.
01-04-2021 12:35 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(01-04-2021 12:35 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(01-04-2021 12:24 PM)ken d Wrote:  On the realignment board, JRsec suggested a team swap between the SEC and ACC. But it wasn't a swap I've seen very often. His suggestion was to move Vanderbilt to the ACC in exchange for NC State. The more I thought about it, the more I liked it. And I could certainly see why ESPN might like it as well.

I don't know the ins and outs of the UNC/NCSU relationship but if it's up to UNC to let NCSU go... I don't think it happens.

I'm not sure that it's true, but many State fans would argue that it is. On the other hand, I'm not sure that State fans would be willing to give that up as an excuse. What if the Pack were now the ones getting the big media bucks and they still couldn't outperform the Heels?
01-04-2021 12:40 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
The only logical swap of an ACC school for a SEC school would be Louisville for South Carolina.

Neither are original to their conferences and since JR is so bent on $$$$$, their revenue numbers are almost identical. It's as even a trade as the two conferences could make.
01-04-2021 12:43 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(01-04-2021 12:35 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

How about Vanderbilt for Virginia Tech then?
01-04-2021 12:55 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Vanderbilt is nowhere near as valuable as NC State. or Virginia Tech.

If the SEC wants to trade Vanderbilt, all I would offer in return is Wake Forest - and even then I feel like I'm getting the short end of the deal!

If they want to trade Auburn for NC State, we can talk about that. but not Vanderbilt.
01-04-2021 01:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

YouPeople Offline
Banned

I Root For: NC State
Why on earth would anyone leave the SEC given where they are with revenue?

...and NCSU wouldn't want to leave the ACC either.
01-04-2021 01:56 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Well .. Vandy would give the ACC the city of Nashville for potential conference championship hosting. That's a plus.

But Vandy's one sport is baseball, and they benefit from being private, and having an ednowment that allows ALL students to basically get free rides ... which means in baseball ... the entire team has a full ride. This is an enormous advantage .... which makes this a minus in my book.

NC State is more valuable than Vandy. And tries in every sport they play. Not sure I think this is an even swap.

The ACC can go to Nashville anytime it wants, without being burdened with Vandy's membership.

That'd be a no for me dawg.
01-04-2021 02:12 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-04-2021 01:35 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Vanderbilt is nowhere near as valuable as NC State. or Virginia Tech.

If the SEC wants to trade Vanderbilt, all I would offer in return is Wake Forest - and even then I feel like I'm getting the short end of the deal!

If they want to trade Auburn for NC State, we can talk about that. but not Vanderbilt.

I was having some fun with another poster's ludicrous suggestion, but that said Mark N.C. State's total worth is 53rd in the FBS while Vanderbilt's is 57th. Wake Forest in is the low 60's in worth and Auburn is 12th.

What you have in your mind as worth and value is extremely skewed. Vanderbilt is much closer to an even swap for N.C. State than Auburn. Auburn is a more valuable swap to the ACC even for Clemson or Florida State in terms of revenue generated from all sources and in WSJ valuations for its economic impact upon its state.

Vanderbilt for Wake Forest is as close in value of a swap as Vanderbilt for N.C. State. The thing is the SEC would want a school with a better potential for competing, and more willingness to do so.

The seriousness of the proposal however was tongue in cheek inasmuch as trades don't happen. But it is one that ESPN could monetize much more effectively for both conferences based upon demographics, their duplications, and subscriptions for the conference networks.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021 02:29 PM by JRsec.)
01-04-2021 02:27 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(01-04-2021 02:27 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-04-2021 01:35 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Vanderbilt is nowhere near as valuable as NC State. or Virginia Tech.

I was having some fun with another poster's ludicrous suggestion, but that said Mark N.C. State's total worth is 53rd in the FBS while Vanderbilt's is 57th. Wake Forest in is the low 60's in worth and Auburn is 12th.

What you have in your mind as worth and value is extremely skewed. Vanderbilt is much closer to an even swap for N.C. State than Auburn. Auburn is a more valuable swap to the ACC even for Clemson or Florida State in terms of revenue generated from all sources and in WSJ valuations for its economic impact upon its state.

Vanderbilt for Wake Forest is as close in value of a swap as Vanderbilt for N.C. State. The thing is the SEC would want a school with a better potential for competing, and more willingness to do so.

The seriousness of the proposal however was tongue in cheek inasmuch as trades don't happen. But it is one that ESPN could monetize much more effectively for both conferences based upon demographics, their duplications, and subscriptions for the conference networks.

NC State's worth is suppressed in the ACC. They are worth more in the B10 or SEC - simple as that. Vandy is worth more in the ACC or B10 than the SEC but not that much. Indiana and Purdue are in the same boat as NC State relative to value in their current conference. Auburn is worth more in the ACC than SEC, but that's not happening
01-04-2021 05:35 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
Remember that what the WSJ is take a look at the metro market of a school so if multiple schools are in the same metro, value is being reduced. The reduction would be less is the schools were in different but equal conferences.

This applies to Purdue/Indiana, Michigan/MSU, UCLA/USC, Stanford/Cal, Ole Miss/MSU, Kansas and UK, Houston/Rice/TAMU, NC State/Duke/UNC (this is the most egregious example).
GT/UGA.
01-04-2021 05:41 PM
Advertisement

Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
If anybody needs to switch conferences, it should be UK but they’re going nowhere.
01-04-2021 08:35 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Here is another ludicrous suggestion.
Trade Miami for Kentucky, Florida State for Tennessee and Georgia Tech for South Carolina. The SEC could throw in Vanderbilt for good measure.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021 08:52 PM by XLance.)
01-04-2021 08:51 PM
YouPeople Offline
Banned

I Root For: NC State
(01-04-2021 12:43 PM)XLance Wrote:  The only logical swap of an ACC school for a SEC school would be Louisville for South Carolina.

Neither are original to their conferences and since JR is so bent on $$$$$, their revenue numbers are almost identical. It's as even a trade as the two conferences could make.

Logical? Lmao ...tell that to ESPN. I'm sure they would be just fine with losing the ACCN in KY and the SECN in SC.

Good heavens...it's not 1980. ESPN decides everything for the SEC and ACC.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021 10:33 PM by YouPeople.)
01-04-2021 10:25 PM
7thHeaven Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofL
Monetary comparison is not even close. Ole Miss would be more comparable. I still prefer NC State.
01-04-2021 11:37 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(01-04-2021 01:56 PM)YouPeople Wrote:  Why on earth would anyone leave the SEC given where they are with revenue?

Well that's a given. I guess the point of the thread would be what would be better for the conferences and/or schools if money weren't a factor.

(01-04-2021 08:35 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  If anybody needs to switch conferences, it should be UK but they’re going nowhere.

Also a given. I've said before, (men's) basketball school in a football conference. Also hurts that their rival is in the ACC. There's an obvious parallel that should switch but the ACC would never want to give them up because of, duh, money. And Florida and Florida State should be in the same conference. The whole money gap is the reason why everything is not ideal (and why both conferences won't go to 9 game conference schedules like the Big Ten, Pac 12, and Big 12).
01-05-2021 07:35 AM
Advertisement

IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

Soon SEC bottom-feeder Vanderbilt will be making more than ACC cream-of-the-crop Florida State.

No way Vandy wants to leave the SEC.
01-05-2021 09:00 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Ah, the devolution that is the off-season.

Sure, let’s take bottom dweller Vanderbilt for a school with considerable historic ties and rivalries. Where do people come up with this?

No offense, but Louisville is the only school I’d trade to the SEC, and it would be for South Carolina. That swap would work perfectly, actually.
01-05-2021 10:34 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(01-04-2021 10:25 PM)YouPeople Wrote:  
(01-04-2021 12:43 PM)XLance Wrote:  The only logical swap of an ACC school for a SEC school would be Louisville for South Carolina.

Logical? Lmao ...tell that to ESPN. I'm sure they would be just fine with losing the ACCN in KY and the SECN in SC.

Good heavens...it's not 1980. ESPN decides everything for the SEC and ACC.

...and if the SEC cared about the state of North Carolina, ECU has been sitting there for decades.
01-05-2021 10:36 AM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(01-05-2021 10:34 AM)esayem Wrote:  Ah, the devolution that is the off-season.

Sure, let’s take bottom dweller Vanderbilt for a school with considerable historic ties and rivalries. Where do people come up with this?

No offense, but Louisville is the only school I’d trade to the SEC, and it would be for South Carolina. That swap would work perfectly, actually.

Uhh ... that'd be a no from me dawg.
01-05-2021 11:42 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.