Changes are coming. How about NDSU?
12-26-2020 05:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TardisCaptain Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Starfleet Acdmy
RE: New MWC Members
Short answer: Not unless the Mountain West is very desperate for members.

Long answer: Would NDSU add to the TV contract? No. Lack of population. Would NDSU open up recruiting ground? No. Again lack of population. Would NDSU help the Mountain West with any possible NY6 invite? Highly doubtful. Lack of FBS experience (which could be said about any FCS school).

It's too bad the Montana schools didn't help keep an FBS WAC alive. NDSU could have joined and built up a reputation that way. Now NDSU is stuck in no-mans land. Too far from the Mt West and too far from the MAC.
12-26-2020 10:58 PM
Starfox207 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
JBB...What do you know? Do you know anything about this BOISE and SDSU to AAC stuff?... and you posted yours 12/26... Please share if you don't mind,
01-14-2021 07:09 PM
Persian-Militant Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: almost anybody
(12-26-2020 10:58 PM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  Short answer: Not unless the Mountain West is very desperate for members.

The hypothetical scenario for your 'short answer' may be a reality within the next 3 years...

A couple of P5 TV contracts are up for renewal and they may start the merry go round of conferences trading teams due to desperation, as seen just under a decade ago...
01-20-2021 07:48 PM
Advertisement

TardisCaptain Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Starfleet Acdmy
(01-20-2021 07:48 PM)Persian-Militant Wrote:  
(12-26-2020 10:58 PM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  Short answer: Not unless the Mountain West is very desperate for members.

The hypothetical scenario for your 'short answer' may be a reality within the next 3 years...

A couple of P5 TV contracts are up for renewal and they may start the merry go round of conferences trading teams due to desperation, as seen just under a decade ago...

IMHO any desperation from the MWC would be if they lost 4-6 members. I don't think that there will be that much P5 shuffling.

But if the MWC found itself 4-6 members short I think that the interests would be in this order.

Any far west AAC schools left behind (SMU? Tulsa?) I doubt they would go any further east. If the core of the MWC is still there then these schools might be interested. And no the AAC is not moving up to an auto-qualifier conference en mass. Just like I doubt the entire MWC would move up. The power conferences will take what they want, if they want it, and leave the rest behind.

Any other Texas FBS schools willing to move over. (no particular order: UTEP, UTSA, Rice, NTexas, Texas St). I don't think there is any interest in any Arkansas or Louisiana schools. (I'm also sensing a pattern here)

While these are their top choices, it is also possible that a SW based conference would evolve that could take all/most of these schools out of play.

New Mexico St (already FBS) and would probably choose to be in a league that has New Mexico in it. If NM is still in the MWC and if there are still openings, then this is a lock.

Now the FCS schools will be considered.

If a lot of California schools left the MWC, then the FCS schools in Cali may be targeted first. If not, then perhaps the two Montana schools and Idaho. Depending upon the need it could be a combination of both.

Northern Arizona gets you into a state you don't have any schools in. But I don't know if NAU could make the jump. Possible.

Weber St has some good to ok facilities. But if Utah St is still in the league then it would be very unlikely.

Portland St would get you into a new market, but they have no football stadium that would work for FBS. So unlikely.

If Dixie St changed it's name to Utah Tech and if they have a lot of success and plans to expand the stadium, they could be considered. But I think that this school is probably 10 years away at the earliest for possible FBS. So unlikely... now.

Southern Utah, Eastern Washington, Idaho St and Northern Colorado will not be considered. Idaho St is the only one with a marketable name, but very poor population, support and facilities.

Once these are all played out and if there is still a need, now you can talk about any of the Dakota schools in the Mountain West. Likelihood, very low.
01-31-2021 03:18 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(01-31-2021 03:18 AM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  
(01-20-2021 07:48 PM)Persian-Militant Wrote:  [quote='TardisCaptain' pid='17188089' dateline='1609041501']

Any other Texas FBS schools willing to move over. (no particular order: UTEP, UTSA, Rice, NTexas, Texas St). I don't think there is any interest in any Arkansas or Louisiana schools. (I'm also sensing a pattern here)

While these are their top choices, it is also possible that a SW based conference would evolve that could take all/most of these schools out of play.

Well, with the news that Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC, potential movements might come after all.

Rice, Wichita State and SMU to the MWC?
07-22-2021 01:31 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(07-22-2021 01:31 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(01-20-2021 07:48 PM)Persian-Militant Wrote:  [quote='TardisCaptain' pid='17188089' dateline='1609041501']

Well, with the news that Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC, potential movements might come after all.

No need to add anyone. Still get to have the CCG.
07-24-2021 11:06 PM
Advertisement

Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
Honestly, the MW could survive being pruned down to 9. Unless a Texas school is reaching out to the MW, the MW probably won't go on the offensive until that point when they'll establish a whole Southwest wing/division.
07-25-2021 08:23 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
NDSU's AD Says The Bisons Are Ready To Go FBS If Called

To go back to the original post. NDSU and SDSU could go in the east and put Boise State back to the west where they belong. NDSU is more ready since they are P5 killers in football. With the college football playoff expansion to 12 is already getting FCS schools lining up to go FBS than ever. Imagine what would the ratings be with a 12-0 Boise State vs 12-0 North Dakota State for the MWC title in football? It would be much bigger than it is now. Adding both Dakota schools could help bring in strong football and men's basketball.
07-29-2021 05:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JPCWBYS Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: New Mexico
(07-24-2021 11:06 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

Disagree.

IF the MW doesn't lose anyone I'd think we should add 2 to solidift the conference for any potential future realignment. I'd like to see NDSU and UTEP (or one of Rice, UTSA, or North Texas).

If the MW loses some we'll definitely need to backfill.
08-02-2021 01:55 PM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(08-02-2021 01:55 PM)JPCWBYS Wrote:  

Disagree.

IF the MW doesn't lose anyone I'd think we should add 2 to solidift the conference for any potential future realignment. I'd like to see NDSU and UTEP (or one of Rice, UTSA, or North Texas).

Well, things are finally heating up for realignment of the next tiers down....stay tuned....
09-23-2021 02:10 AM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas State
(09-23-2021 02:10 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(08-02-2021 01:55 PM)JPCWBYS Wrote:  
(01-31-2021 03:18 AM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  Any other Texas FBS schools willing to move over. (no particular order: UTEP, UTSA, Rice, NTexas, Texas St). I don't think there is any interest in any Arkansas or Louisiana schools. (I'm also sensing a pattern here)

Disagree.

Well, things are finally heating up for realignment of the next tiers down....stay tuned....

Colorado State and Air Force will be making a huge mistake if they move over to the AAC.

The MW needs to become aggressive and talk with Wichita State, Gonzaga and St. Mary's as non-football members and SMU, UTSA, Tulsa and Rice to gauge their interest. I can't imagine the AAC being stronger with these defections. if the MW pulls this off. It will leave the AAC as CUSA 3.0
09-30-2021 01:24 PM
UTSA_Alum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
Gonzaga likes being in a weak conference
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2022 12:30 PM by UTSA_Alum.)
02-05-2022 01:21 AM
Advertisement

SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
I may be wrong, but I can’t see any Texas schools joining the MWC any time soon. Too many disadvantages. First of course is the money from TV contracts. Then the later time zone and late starts. No coverage on ESPN or ESPN+. Then the lower conference rating. Then more travel for most Texas schools as well as for teams like Hawaii, Fresno, and San Jose. Just to name a few. The one Texas school who would jump at the chance to join the MWC, UTEP, the MWC is not interested in.
02-05-2022 09:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UTSA_Alum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
UTEP would be a great fit. West Texas how a decent amount of good recruits who might be willing to join UTEP if they were in a better conference. Rutgers was garbage and slowly they've been getting better since joining the Big 10. Not wanting UTEP makes the MWC look like the POS employers who want graduate entry position applicants to have 5+ years of experience and offer no training.

(02-05-2022 09:01 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  I may be wrong, but I can’t see any Texas schools joining the MWC any time soon. Too many disadvantages. First of course is the money from TV contracts. Then the later time zone and late starts. No coverage on ESPN or ESPN+. Then the lower conference rating. Then more travel for most Texas schools as well as for teams like Hawaii, Fresno, and San Jose. Just to name a few. The one Texas school who would jump at the chance to join the MWC, UTEP, the MWC is not interested in.
02-06-2022 12:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.