Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU
Bookmark and Share
geewizNU Offline
All American

I Root For: Northeastern
ODU
NU is back on the floor Sunday afternoon taking Old Dominion in Norfolk.

ODU beat NU at Matthews last year. But as we know this year's team has more size and depth.

ODU lost their last game Saturday against rival VCU. They also have a win over W&M this year.

I like our chances as long as Tyson is healthy and we take care of the ball.
12-19-2020 12:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NUGUY Offline
1st String

I Root For: nu
RE: ODU
Their website says the game can be streamed for free at http://www.ODUSports.com

I'm not sure what is more important...getting Tyson back or the turnovers. In our two losses we averaged ten more TOs than our opponents. That's like saying, "We'll give you ten more scoring opportunities than us." And the thing is, as Coen said, most of them occur in the front court after we get into our offense. If he was brutally honest he could have said something like, "Too many guys are falling asleep and throwing lazy passes." One thing I like about Stucke (two turnovers in three games) is that he doesn't do that. He often fakes the pass and THEN passes when he sees that the defender does not react to the fake.

Turnovers just bug me. Of all the problems a team could have like poor shooting, bad team defense, lack of quickness, etc, a turnover problem should be the easiest to fix.
12-19-2020 12:09 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

(12-19-2020 12:09 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  Their website says the game can be streamed for free at http://www.ODUSports.com

I'm not sure what is more important...getting Tyson back or the turnovers. In our two losses we averaged ten more TOs than our opponents. That's like saying, "We'll give you ten more scoring opportunities than us." And the thing is, as Coen said, most of them occur in the front court after we get into our offense. If he was brutally honest he could have said something like, "Too many guys are falling asleep and throwing lazy passes." One thing I like about Stucke (two turnovers in three games) is that he doesn't do that. He often fakes the pass and THEN passes when he sees that the defender does not react to the fake.

Turnovers just bug me. Of all the problems a team could have like poor shooting, bad team defense, lack of quickness, etc, a turnover problem should be the easiest to fix.

I agree with you on the TO’s. They irk the hell out of me too.

I worst is Walters. He just doesn’t value the ball and he was the main reason IMO why we lost to ‘Cuse. Telfort had TO’s too, but he’s a freshman and he led us in scoring.

Until we tighten that up teams will try to press NU. Even teams that don’t regularly press might start to.
12-19-2020 01:09 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

Yeah. I don't want to call out individual players this early in the season but facts are facts. Walters is averaging just under five TOs[/u] a game and most are lazy passes or dribbling into a crowd.....freshmen mistakes.
12-19-2020 02:16 PM
NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

What happened to Telfort? Down by 3 at the half
12-20-2020 02:51 PM
Advertisement

NUGUY Offline
1st String

(12-20-2020 02:51 PM)NUFan35 Wrote:  What happened to Telfort? Down by 3 at the half

Good question. Wasn't mentioned .in the WRBB pregame.
12-20-2020 03:10 PM
NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

Good effort. Need to find some offensive rhythm.

Man, injuries have been frustrating with this program the last few years. In 2019, Sean was out the whole year basically until the CAA tourney. Last year, Tomas was out forever (though maybe at the end it was a transfer issue). We also had bad luck with Tyson at the end of the year and then again in the tourney final. Now, we are 4 games into this year and had an issue with Tyson vs Syracuse and today with Telfort (if injury). So many games that could have swung the other way
12-20-2020 03:52 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

(12-20-2020 03:52 PM)NUFan35 Wrote:  Good effort. Need to find some offensive rhythm.

Man, injuries have been frustrating with this program the last few years. In 2019, Sean was out the whole year basically until the CAA tourney. Last year, Tomas was out forever (though maybe at the end it was a transfer issue). We also had bad luck with Tyson at the end of the year and then again in the tourney final. Now, we are 4 games into this year and had an issue with Tyson vs Syracuse and today with Telfort (if injury). So many games that could have swung the other way

It sounds like a minor injury. The tv announcer said he was told that Telfort "might" not play. Seems like a game day decision.

Nice to see Doherty and Stucke coming into their own and TOs under ten. Unfortunately, Tyson had a rare poor shooting day. It happens.
12-20-2020 04:47 PM
NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

The turnovers and rebounding were a nice bright spot today
12-20-2020 06:17 PM
Advertisement

NUGUY Offline
1st String

(12-20-2020 06:17 PM)NUFan35 Wrote:  The turnovers and rebounding were a nice bright spot today

Mass and ODU are rated about fifty places ahead of us. Cuse is 150 places ahead. We've held our own on the boards , surprisingly, in all four games. I think this bodes well for us in conference play.
12-20-2020 07:49 PM
NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

Agreed. Regardless of what happens at Georgia, I'll be pleased with the 4 team, 5 game, 12 day non conference schedule. The team has exceeded my expectations. There have been and will continue to be growing pains but we are ahead of what I was prepared for on the whole
12-20-2020 09:02 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

According to WRBB, Telfort is day-to-day with an ankle issue.

@miltonposner
Bill Coen confirms that Jahmyl Telfort, who averaged 13 points and led the CAA in 3pt percentage through three games, is day-to-day with an ankle sprain. Tyson Walker will be examined before Tuesday's tilt in Georgia after taking a couple of tough hits this afternoon.

The team is also looking for another non-conference game in the week plus between the Georgia game and the Jan. 2 conference opener against Elon.
12-20-2020 11:54 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

Coen postgame presser...

https://youtu.be/ZRdRoO8e1_I
12-21-2020 02:23 AM
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

NU is finally back home Saturday as they host former CAA foe ODU at 2pm. The game will be on FloSports.

ODU has lost its 2 road games (3-3 overall) and our guards are even bigger than theirs based on the rosters.

We really need a bounce back win, and I think we find a way to use our depth to get one tomorrow.
12-01-2023 09:07 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

I agree. It has been a long road trip but we're home today and slight favorites to win. I love our chances today unless Jenkins has a career day but I don't see that happening. He should get a lot of attention from King and Woods. The game is also on NESN+.
12-02-2023 10:52 AM
geewizNU Offline
All American

(12-02-2023 10:52 AM)NUGUY Wrote:  The game is also on NESN+.

That's what it said on the NU website but it's not listed on the ESPN+ schedule.
12-02-2023 12:45 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

(12-02-2023 12:45 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  
(12-02-2023 10:52 AM)NUGUY Wrote:  The game is also on NESN+.

That's what it said on the NU website but it's not listed on the ESPN+ schedule.

Disregard. You said NESN not ESPN...
12-02-2023 12:54 PM
Advertisement

NUGUY Offline
1st String

The Soph Report: 45 points on 41.7 FG shooting. (43.7% from three and 78% from the line).

I was wondering how Kermoury earned the playing time he's getting so it was nice to hear that he was killing it in practice. When the announcer said that he went to some practices and that "Kermoury was one of the best shooters I've seen at NU. I mean he does not miss."

I don't know what to think about the free throw disparity except there were times during the road trip when I would say to myself, "why is a foul called every time they drive to the basket but at our end we weren't cetting calls when we drove?"
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2023 06:17 PM by NUGUY.)
12-02-2023 06:16 PM
NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

Yes, the sophs continue to impress. One of the whackier games I can remember. The foul discrepancy has to be one of the biggest I've ever seen. All the calls ruined any chance for the game to get any flow. Honestly, it's a hard game to evaluate other than to note the effort was good.
12-02-2023 06:34 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

Yeah, the foul disparency was crazy. That's the first time in a very long time something like that went NU's way.

It was hard to evaluate, but a win is a win and we needed one. Another tough game coming up on Wednesday vs. Vermont - who beat Yale on a crazy 4-point play.

Highlights...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzPipAjjePA
12-03-2023 01:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.