Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New ACC commish
domer1978 Online
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
New ACC commish
The ACC has targeted Northwestern athletic director Jim Phillips to be its next commissioner, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports. The ACC is finalizing an offer for Phillips to replace the retiring John Swofford, with an announcement expected soon.

For Phillips, the ACC commissioner job arrives more than a year after he came achingly close to becoming the Big Ten commissioner. Phillips was the strong choice among the Big Ten’s athletic directors and within the league office to become the next commissioner, but Kevin Warren beat him at the eleventh hour.

The appeal of Phillips to those involved in the ACC search was his familiarity with the inter-workings of college athletics. His campus experience and Northwestern’s academic sensibilities appealed to the ACC, as recent commissioner hires in the Pac-12 and Big Ten that lacked campus and conference

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-acc-to-...54647.html
12-14-2020 12:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

domer1978 Online
All American

RE: New ACC commish
[Image: EpLCSXqW8AASLRP?format=jpg&name=small]
12-14-2020 01:36 AM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Cincinnati, UCF, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas (PT), Notre Dame (FT), all become expansion possibilities.
12-14-2020 04:02 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(12-14-2020 04:02 AM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  Cincinnati, UCF, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas (PT), Notre Dame (FT), all become expansion possibilities.

I think that you can trim that list to Texas, Notre Dame or both, if the purpose is to increase league value and boost the TV contract.
12-14-2020 05:38 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Good for the ACC for finding someone that has been an AD (like Swofford) that understands sports administration from a campus level.
12-14-2020 05:47 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(12-14-2020 05:38 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 04:02 AM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  Cincinnati, UCF, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas (PT), Notre Dame (FT), all become expansion possibilities.

I think that you can trim that list to Texas, Notre Dame or both, if the purpose is to increase league value and boost the TV contract.

Exactly. Expansion isn’t based on how many games a football team won the past season or two.

Any mention of UCF/USF is plain ridiculous. “Hey, let’s give our two FLA members and extra helping of competition!” Not happening.

I prefer Notre Dame/Penn State or Notre Dame/Maryland. BUT this all hinges on ND, and it doesn’t appear they’re interested.
12-14-2020 09:12 AM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(12-14-2020 09:12 AM)esayem Wrote:  

Exactly. Expansion isn’t based on how many games a football team won the past season or two.

Any mention of UCF/USF is plain ridiculous. “Hey, let’s give our two FLA members and extra helping of competition!” Not happening.

I prefer Notre Dame/Penn State or Notre Dame/Maryland. BUT this all hinges on ND, and it doesn’t appear they’re interested.

I would prefer ND or Penn State too. But the one school that the ACC even has a sliver of hope to attract is Texas. Thats because Texas once flirted with the ACC some years ago, during the last realignment circus. Whether it was trying to gain leverage with its own conference, as some say, or not, they still flirted with the ACC. What the ACC has going for it is

1) superior academics, which is attractive to Texas.
2) East coast exposure, which was mentioned during its flirting stage with the ACC.
3) The B12 tv contract is set to come to an end shortly and they are going to have to start renegotiations relatively soon, I think I saw 2026. Usually, the conferences and networks like to announce new contracts at least a couple of years before the old contracts expire. I noticed this during the whole ACC/BE negotiations from 2003-2012.

The ACC doesnt offer many advantages over the SEC, but a couple of clear advantages that the ACC does offer over the SEC, who maybe putting on a full court press to bring in Texas, is much more superior academics, and more east coast exposure. The ACC also offers a much stronger elite group of basketball programs that will further enhance the east coast exposure. And just the right amount of fb competition. The ACC needs to do whatever is necessary to land Texas, imo.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2020 10:09 AM by cuseroc.)
12-14-2020 10:06 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Happy they didn't hire the ESPN executive, who I expect would have been hunky dory with the current ESPN contract.

Not happy they went to the Big 10 and Midwest to hire. I'm profoundly unimpressed with every midwestern/Big10 asset that has shuffled through the ACC recently. Mike Bobinski was a world class f*** up at GT. Kevin White at Duke wouldn't know how to run a football program if given Alabama's resources. Heather Lyke at Pittsburgh ... because "The Factory" at EMU is apparently a promotional bell ringer for Pittsburgh (WTF Pitt??? That's maybe the worst hire for AD in the conference right now.) Debbie Yow is recycled Maryland goods that has failed to achieve anything in her rather lengthy career now. Bubba Cunningham wasn't some miracle worker at Ball State or Tulsa. Or UNC. Whit Babcock is the Lane Kiffin of ADs .... only spends 3-4 years at a place, doesn't do much, somehow gets promoted onwards anyway. Vince Tyra at Louisville ... jeez. We knew it wouldn't be as good of a hire as Jurich but hiring a Kentucky baseball player to be AD at UofL? One who has no prior AD experience? This conference grades out as like a C- at best for AD hires right now.

The three ACC ADs who I think are best (Radakovich, Currie, Stansbury) are all ACC and SEC in their experience. Everybody in the above paragraph has the majority or all of their experience in the midwest. WTF ACC?
12-14-2020 10:14 AM
YouPeople Offline
Banned

I Root For: NC State
(12-14-2020 10:14 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Happy they didn't hire the ESPN executive, who I expect would have been hunky dory with the current ESPN contract.

Not happy they went to the Big 10 and Midwest to hire. I'm profoundly unimpressed with every midwestern/Big10 asset that has shuffled through the ACC recently. Mike Bobinski was a world class f*** up at GT. Kevin White at Duke wouldn't know how to run a football program if given Alabama's resources. Heather Lyke at Pittsburgh ... because "The Factory" at EMU is apparently a promotional bell ringer for Pittsburgh (WTF Pitt??? That's maybe the worst hire for AD in the conference right now.) Debbie Yow is recycled Maryland goods that has failed to achieve anything in her rather lengthy career now. Bubba Cunningham wasn't some miracle worker at Ball State or Tulsa. Or UNC. Whit Babcock is the Lane Kiffin of ADs .... only spends 3-4 years at a place, doesn't do much, somehow gets promoted onwards anyway. Vince Tyra at Louisville ... jeez. We knew it wouldn't be as good of a hire as Jurich but hiring a Kentucky baseball player to be AD at UofL? One who has no prior AD experience? This conference grades out as like a C- at best for AD hires right now.

The three ACC ADs who I think are best (Radakovich, Currie, Stansbury) are all ACC and SEC in their experience. Everybody in the above paragraph has the majority or all of their experience in the midwest. WTF ACC?

Debbie Yow retired from NCSU. Boo Corrigan (Gene's son) came to NCSU from Army.
12-14-2020 11:05 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(12-14-2020 10:14 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Happy they didn't hire the ESPN executive, who I expect would have been hunky dory with the current ESPN contract.

There was an ESPN exec in the running? That may not have been a bad hire.
12-14-2020 12:57 PM

(12-14-2020 12:57 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

There was an ESPN exec in the running? That may not have been a bad hire.

In so far as "disastrous" isn't bad, perhaps.
12-14-2020 01:12 PM
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(12-14-2020 09:12 AM)esayem Wrote:  

hinges on oklahoma ...

DOMINO EFFECT
12-14-2020 01:27 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(12-14-2020 10:06 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  I would prefer ND or Penn State too. But the one school that the ACC even has a sliver of hope to attract is Texas. Thats because Texas once flirted with the ACC some years ago, during the last realignment circus. Whether it was trying to gain leverage with its own conference, as some say, or not, they still flirted with the ACC. What the ACC has going for it is

1) superior academics, which is attractive to Texas.
2) East coast exposure, which was mentioned during its flirting stage with the ACC.
3) The B12 tv contract is set to come to an end shortly and they are going to have to start renegotiations relatively soon, I think I saw 2026. Usually, the conferences and networks like to announce new contracts at least a couple of years before the old contracts expire. I noticed this during the whole ACC/BE negotiations from 2003-2012.

The ACC doesnt offer many advantages over the SEC, but a couple of clear advantages that the ACC does offer over the SEC, who maybe putting on a full court press to bring in Texas, is much more superior academics, and more east coast exposure. The ACC also offers a much stronger elite group of basketball programs that will further enhance the east coast exposure. And just the right amount of fb competition. The ACC needs to do whatever is necessary to land Texas, imo.

ACC will accommodate the longhorn network ...

PART & PARCEL
12-14-2020 01:32 PM
H.U.S.T.L.E. Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: VT / JMU

Not happy they went to the Big 10 and Midwest to hire... Whit Babcock is the Lane Kiffin of ADs .... only spends 3-4 years at a place, doesn't do much, somehow gets promoted onwards anyway....

I'm not sure what you're on about here with regards to Babcock, since I think he's actually a great culture fit for VT.

If you're only looking at full time experience as head AD, sure, his 4 years is at Cincinnati, but he had stints as Associate AD at West Virginia and Missouri before that (admittedly, before their admissions to the B12 and SEC). But most importantly, he grew up in Virginia (Harrisonburg) so it's not like he's a complete outsider to the ACC culture.

As for "doesn't do much," I'd have to strongly disagree. When Beamer retired, he handled the transition as well as possible, and though we now know the Fuente hire hasn't worked out, that move was roundly praised throughout CFB at the time.

On top of that, he was able to convince Buzz Williams to come to VT and that clearly elevated the men's basketball program. His next basketball hire was Mike Young, who has done a very nice job keeping the program competitive when it could have cratered after Buzz's departure.

Most outside the VT bubble probably don't understand that his biggest challenge was revamping the fundraising apparatus for VT athletics, and for a lot of cultural reasons it's a big hill to climb. Despite that, he's done a good job updating facilities across sports.

We'll see what happens with football moving forward, and that's clearly going to be where success for Whit is measured. I could go on about some of the really good hires he's made in non-revenue sports and making the program competitive across the board, but I don't think that's really the point you're trying to make.
12-14-2020 02:55 PM

(12-14-2020 02:55 PM)H.U.S.T.L.E. Wrote:  I'm not sure what you're on about here with regards to Babcock, since I think he's actually a great culture fit for VT.

If you're only looking at full time experience as head AD, sure, his 4 years is at Cincinnati, but he had stints as Associate AD at West Virginia and Missouri before that (admittedly, before their admissions to the B12 and SEC). But most importantly, he grew up in Virginia (Harrisonburg) so it's not like he's a complete outsider to the ACC culture.

As for "doesn't do much," I'd have to strongly disagree. When Beamer retired, he handled the transition as well as possible, and though we now know the Fuente hire hasn't worked out, that move was roundly praised throughout CFB at the time.

On top of that, he was able to convince Buzz Williams to come to VT and that clearly elevated the men's basketball program. His next basketball hire was Mike Young, who has done a very nice job keeping the program competitive when it could have cratered after Buzz's departure.

Most outside the VT bubble probably don't understand that his biggest challenge was revamping the fundraising apparatus for VT athletics, and for a lot of cultural reasons it's a big hill to climb. Despite that, he's done a good job updating facilities across sports.

We'll see what happens with football moving forward, and that's clearly going to be where success for Whit is measured. I could go on about some of the really good hires he's made in non-revenue sports and making the program competitive across the board, but I don't think that's really the point you're trying to make.

I don't think Mike Young is the answer. Buzz was certainly nice while it lasted. I don't think replacing Beamer was done all that well either. I'd love to know if Foster really wanted to retire or was blackballed. Regardless, it's hard to call Fuente some huge success at this point. Or is your expectation that whoever followed Beamer would be a flop because of the whole "never follow a legend" thing?
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2020 03:57 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
12-14-2020 03:47 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
I don't have any strong feelings about this guy in particular. I haven't followed his career or anything. Everything I've seen is that he's wildly respected, and it sounds like he would have been the B1G's choice, barring other, let's say political, interests.

If the ACC lands the guy that the B1G's ADs and current office strongly favored...well that's a pretty darn good get. In fact, it can be reasonably claimed that the ACC hired the single best candidate anywhere, other than a sitting conference commissioner. The ACC doesn't exactly have a history of making those kind of moves.

My biggest fear was that the ACC would insist on this hire being a statement of some kind, and narrow the search to someone that would be the first of something. I'm totally cool if the best person for the job also is the first of some group to be a commissioner, it's a great story for everyone if that is the case. But I was concerned that the ACC would be insistent on hiring the first trans female hispanic conference commissioner, and limiting the search to just that. This is too important a hire to place any limitations.

I'm also glad that they didn't go with a TV executive. The premise that "college sports is really a media company" has largely proven a failure. More importantly, I would hope that the conference could get past the idea that ESPN is our friend. ESPN is not our friend, they are our business partner, and it's not remotely the same. The ACC has a long history of mistaking it's partners for family (or literally making it's partners family), to the detriment of all. Hiring a former ESPN exec (no offense Syracuse) would be the mistake of a lifetime. I'm not saying the relationship has to, or should turn, adversarial, but the conference does need to consider its interests independently from ESPN. Which is to say nothing of the fact that I don't know how anyone could particularly look at a current or former ESPN executive and claim that they're inherently masters of the new media. They're struggling along with everyone else, to say the least.

I do think its a positive that they hired someone intimately involved with college athletics and administration with a large amount of gravitas within that community. I like that he's not a Tobacco Road insider, or part of the checkered history of the league office. I like that you most certainly couldn't under any definition, say that he's coming from a basketball school.

However...here's my concerns.

Another Kevin White/Notre Dame guy. FSU has already had their walk around the park with one of those guys, and it was pretty horrendous. I'm far from convinced of the genius of Kevin White. His Notre Dame tenure was an utter disaster for Notre Dame football, and he came to Duke with the greatest basketball coach of all time, and the accompanying money machine, already in place. Yes, he raised Duke football from the worst in the power 5 to a perfectly middling program. That's quite an impressive accomplishment, but I'm not sure that's all that relevant. The future of the ACC is not going to be made on whether BC or Syracuse regularly win 6-7 games. To be honest, I feel like that part of the job has already been kind of done. I think the willingness to accept being utterly awful in football, which plagued the league for decades, has mostly been overcome...for all my complaints, I'm not so sure any ACC program is showing the kind of satisfaction with pitiful results that so long was a problem.

Another guy from a unique, private, well-monied institution that just doesn't have experience in a big, competitive football first public with financial competitiveness concerns. That's where the Clemson president fits the bill obviously. This is probably a defacto problem in perpetuity given the disparate nature of the league, half the members have nothing in common with the other half.

At the end of the day...I'm not sure how much it matters. The massive financial deficit is baked in, between a terrible television deal going back over a decade now, and the lagging of non-television resources. I don't see on what basis you'd possibly get ESPN to reopen the TV deal, short of Notre Dame football membership. I don't think that's likely to happen anytime soon, but if it did, I guess this is probably the kind of guy at the helm that would be most likely to land it.

I think the first thing I would do is immediately make plans to scrap divisions and go to 3 set/5 rotating conference opponents, and see if that improves inventory enough to open up the contract.
12-14-2020 04:41 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-14-2020 03:47 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 02:55 PM)H.U.S.T.L.E. Wrote:  I'm not sure what you're on about here with regards to Babcock, since I think he's actually a great culture fit for VT.

I don't think Mike Young is the answer. Buzz was certainly nice while it lasted. I don't think replacing Beamer was done all that well either. I'd love to know if Foster really wanted to retire or was blackballed. Regardless, it's hard to call Fuente some huge success at this point. Or is your expectation that whoever followed Beamer would be a flop because of the whole "never follow a legend" thing?

Whit Babcock was only at UC for two years. He spoke well, raised a dollar or two, but at the end of the day he will always be remembered for making a disaster hire in Tommy Tuberville over a 5 minute phone conversation without fully vetting Tubs or interviewing another candidate. This was all within two days of Butch Jones resigning to take the Tennessee job. Set the program back several years, thankfully UC is back in the right direction.
12-14-2020 05:12 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(12-14-2020 04:41 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  ...I was concerned that the ACC would be insistent on hiring the first trans female hispanic conference commissioner...

03-lmfao

Lou, if you never post anything ever again... you win the internet!
12-14-2020 07:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
domer1978 Online
All American

(12-14-2020 07:14 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 04:41 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  ...I was concerned that the ACC would be insistent on hiring the first trans female hispanic conference commissioner...

03-lmfao

Lou, if you never post anything ever again... you win the internet!

That was an all-timer. I admit, I assumed the ACC would do something like that also.
12-14-2020 07:24 PM
YouPeople Offline
Banned

I Root For: NC State
Lou C is all over it with regard to scrapping the divisions. Stevie Wonder can see the need for better ACC brands to face off vs one another more often in order to improve ratings. It makes no sense to keep divisions. None.

And another thing...since we have to wait til January to get our schedules, can we not try to play some of better games opposite of other conferences' crappier weekends?It seemed Clem vs FSU for example was always played the same weekend of traditional big games in other conferences. I mean if we are going to be the last to schedule, that should NEVER happen.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2020 08:24 PM by YouPeople.)
12-14-2020 08:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.