Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Drexel Women's Basketball 2020-2021
Bookmark and Share
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Drexel
Drexel Women's Basketball 2020-2021
The Mallon Era began with a 62-49 win over Rider, after a rough start, they outscored Rider 60-36. It's one game, but Washington and Nihill really stepped up into the vacated leadership positions on the team. Jasmine Valentine, a freshman, looks like a player, and Hetta Saatman could be a good presence on the glass. Overall, looks like the program shouldn't miss a beat and will stay in the CAA elite.
11-28-2020 08:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

RE: Drexel Women's Basketball 2020-2021
It will be interesting to see how we do. We responded nicely after a very slow start. This was a very good Rider team last year, though they got smoked by Villanova prior to our victory. A nice win and a nice start for Amy
11-30-2020 08:42 AM
J.B. Offline

Another solid win for the ladies today, 61-50 over Monmouth to pull to 2-0 in the Mallon era. Dragons dominated in the first half to take a 30-18 lead at halftime. Monmouth went on a big run at the start of 3rd quarter to come back and tie the game at 33. Drexel countered with a run of their own and kept themselves at arms length the rest of the way.

Nihill, Washington, and Connolly had 48 of Drexel's 61 points. Sophmore Borcky, who didn't get much playing time last year, added 9 for the Dragons.
12-05-2020 04:36 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

shot poorly from 3...3-14...missed some good looks off cuts...and still won pretty easily. thought the ball movement was better than most of last year. hopefully we can add some depth as the season goes on. i was surprised leonard didn't play unless she's hurt.

i think one reason we've gotten away with being smaller is teams with size don't know how to use it. everyone wants to shoot threes. monmouth had some bigger players and they just wanted to stay on the perimeter. we defend well without fouling too.
12-05-2020 07:38 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Monmouth is not good. We allowed them back into the game because we settled for 3 point shots. We are not a good 3 point shooting team. Many of the looks were open and good looks, but when we had been getting to the basket at ease, there was 0 reason to be launching 3's. Against good teams that will end in disaster. During their run we didnt stop their best player from lay ups. We have to do better to stop the ball.

We have good quickness with so many ball handlers, we need to continue cutting and using that to our advantage. We should be taking fewer 3's than we are taking. I think Hannah has a shot at DPOY in the CAA. She can really get at you defensively. Her intensity is nice to see on defense.
12-07-2020 10:46 AM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

Tied against Nova 21-21 at halftime, but Villanova came back to tie it after a good start by Drexel. Nova's size giving us problems, especially since Saatman appears not to be playing.

Hendrixson has just been brutal, missing some open threes. I don't know what happened since her freshman year but she's been absolutely atrocious from deep since then. It's really hurting the team on the offensive end.
12-13-2020 01:45 PM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

Hard fought loss to Denise's Villanova 48-46. Drexel lead by 4 with a few minutes left. Nova finished the game on an 8-2. Washington had a shot to win the game at the buzzer but her 3-point shot missed.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2020 02:49 PM by J.B..)
12-13-2020 02:48 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

still looking for more scoring options. denise is going to be spoiled with players like the senior that scored a bunch down the stretch for her. it came down to who would get hot and it was her player for a change.
12-13-2020 03:28 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Tough loss on a couple standpoints; 1. The fact we led much of the game to lose it at the end stings and 2. The fact it was the first game against Denise. With that said, it was promising from the fact that we competed with a bigger team than our own. That lends some hope that we wont just get crushed by JMU. Villanova is going to a likely be a fringe tournament team (assuming it happens and at normal participation levels). They were picked 6/7th in the Big East but that was behind a St Johns team they already beat, so we shall see.
12-14-2020 08:11 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Also of note, JMU got pummeled last night against WVU 85-54 (who was coming off a 20 point loss to Baylor). A couple of missed opportunities for the top of the CAA
12-14-2020 09:04 AM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

Yeah, it was overall a good performance by us, just feels like a missed opportunity. If they had converted just one or two more open looks, they'd still be undefeated. But, it's a good learning experience, and it's better to lose now than during conference play.

It is good to see that both Nihill and Washington have taken turns being the go-to scorer in various possessions. Having that sort of versatility will help when we end up in close games in-conference.
12-14-2020 10:10 PM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

And it was announced that the women's basketball season has been put on pause due to Covid. Their next 3 games have been "postponed", which basically puts an end to their very brief non-conference season. I'm not sure if it really matters or not.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2020 12:24 PM by J.B..)
12-15-2020 12:24 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Hope we still play at least 1 of the 3 postponed games and they dont just become canceled.
12-15-2020 01:33 PM
J.B. Offline

WBB got a huge boost today. They announced that Tori Hyduke was granted immediate eligibility to play for the Dragons in 20-21. She's a 5'6" point guard, so she's not going to help Drexel's height issues. She started 28 games for GW last season as a redshirt freshman averaging 9 points and 2 assists per game. I will assume that she will have 3 years of eligibility left and will likely provide strong backup Nihill and take over her starting role next season.
12-18-2020 10:40 AM
J.B. Offline

Washington turned her ankle midway through the 3rd quarter today at UNCW. Game was tied at 34. Then Nihill got her jump shot going and scored 11 points in a row for Drexel. Dragons now lead 45-38 in the 3rd.
01-02-2021 02:22 PM
J.B. Offline

76-63 win today over the Dub. Nihill led with 18 including the 11 in a row in the 3rd that I mentioned earlier. Washington had 12 before going down on her ankle. Praying that it's nothing serious and that she can get back on the floor soon. Hyduke scored 7 in her first game of the season. Chloe Hodges also got into a game for the first time this season after finally making it to the US in her long journey from Australia.
01-02-2021 03:06 PM
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

really liked the balance especially after washington went down. nihill got us going and then players like bacon really stepped up. bacon and leonard played bigger than their size. hendrixson had one of the better games i've seen from her in a while. she could make us a MUCH better team if she gets going consistently.

hope washington just has a sprain and is ready to go next week at the latest if not tomorrow.
01-02-2021 04:47 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Nice win against a likely bottom team in the conference. UNCW has given us fits the past few years so a big win was nice to see. The balance is important for when someone is having an off night. We filled in nicely yesterday once Washington went down, which is highly promising
01-03-2021 09:44 AM
J.B. Offline

Today, in the 3rd quarter, it looks like every Seahawks player has the word "Quit" written all over their face. Drexel, with their depth and full roster, is really getting the better of UNCW in the 2nd game of the back to back. Drexel finishes the 3rd on a 16-0 run dropping in many baskets with ease. Drexel leads 50-25 after 3.
01-03-2021 02:26 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

yeah those 2 inbounds plays where they gave us layups under the basket were telling. just didn't bother to play any defense. we got an uncontested put back right at the end of the quarter too.

tina martin looked on her bench, didn't see edd, and didn't know what to do.

i really like this roster. i know that's easy to say after a weekend like this. they were getting stale the last couple of years. too many players who didn't really add anything offensively. we at least have the potential to get points from a lot of different places.

my favorite reason to love the women's program is the development you see...bacon being the most recent example.
01-03-2021 03:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.