Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC should cut to the chase
Bookmark and Share
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
It worked for lots of Hollywood movie producers; how about for the American this year?

If Tulsa plays next weekend and emerges with a victory, just cancel Cincinnati at Tulsa and prepare early for the CCG on ABC a week later. With crowd restrictions and a small stadium/low attendance potential, Tulsa can count on financial losses hosting Cincinnati. Simply put Tulsa into the larger venue (Nippert) a week later for all the marbles pitting two teams that haven't lost in conference all season.

In that scenario, both teams preserve their CFP rankings until the CCG which is a great storyline for the AAC's P6 branding. A single game played at the home field of the higher ranked team then decides the conference championship with that NY6 berth or possibly a CFP appearance awaiting Cincinnati. With students gone for the semester, UC could actually have time to promote this and sell tickets (up to whatever limit OH has in place by that date) enabling at least some of our fans to finally participate in this amazing season. The setting in historic Nippert would be excellent and UC would have time to embellish the field and stadium more creatively for the showdown. Even more, billboards and light post banners uptown and downtown could be produced and displayed with that lead time to mark a first in Cincinnati sports history.

A regular season game in Tulsa, if Cincinnati prevails, leaves little time to promote the CCG a week later. That one loss Tulsa (in conference) then tumbles out of the top 25 making the CCG a lot less interesting for the national TV audience.

Other conferences have patchwork schedules already. Is this so crazy? Thoughts?

11-28-2020 02:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
No. Two wins (including one on the road) over Tulsa is better than one. No matter where the committee puts them. Don't overthink this.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

11-28-2020 02:49 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
RE: AAC should cut to the chase
(11-28-2020 02:49 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  No. Two wins (including one on the road) over Tulsa is better than one. No matter where the committee puts them. Don't overthink this.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I agree. Two quality wins will help our argument for the CFP especially now that SMU absolutely choked the chicken today. Also, we've only played two road games thus far.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2020 04:31 PM by UCGrad1992.)
11-28-2020 04:30 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
(11-28-2020 02:47 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  It worked for lots of Hollywood movie producers; how about for the American this year?

If Tulsa plays next weekend and emerges with a victory, just cancel Cincinnati at Tulsa and prepare early for the CCG on ABC a week later. With crowd restrictions and a small stadium/low attendance potential, Tulsa can count on financial losses hosting Cincinnati. Simply put Tulsa into the larger venue (Nippert) a week later for all the marbles pitting two teams that haven't lost in conference all season.

In that scenario, both teams preserve their CFP rankings until the CCG which is a great storyline for the AAC's P6 branding. A single game played at the home field of the higher ranked team then decides the conference championship with that NY6 berth or possibly a CFP appearance awaiting Cincinnati. With students gone for the semester, UC could actually have time to promote this and sell tickets (up to whatever limit OH has in place by that date) enabling at least some of our fans to finally participate in this amazing season. The setting in historic Nippert would be excellent and UC would have time to embellish the field and stadium more creatively for the showdown. Even more, billboards and light post banners uptown and downtown could be produced and displayed with that lead time to mark a first in Cincinnati sports history.

A regular season game in Tulsa, if Cincinnati prevails, leaves little time to promote the CCG a week later. That one loss Tulsa (in conference) then tumbles out of the top 25 making the CCG a lot less interesting for the national TV audience.

Uh... what?

11-28-2020 06:18 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I would agree with you if we were already a clear cut CFP participant with a conference championship win. But we need every quality win we can get.

11-28-2020 07:13 PM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

Actually, the "good" Hollywood producers don't cut to the chase - they often extend the last movie of a franchise out over multiple installations (Avengers, hunger games, etc.). We are following their lead, as did the American last year.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2020 10:48 AM by bearcatdp.)
11-29-2020 09:54 AM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(11-28-2020 02:47 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  It worked for lots of Hollywood movie producers; how about for the American this year?

Makes sense, thus it will not happen. Do we get extra credit for thumping the same team twice? I doubt it.

11-29-2020 09:58 AM
Saint Martin Offline
Bench Warmer

The regular season game is pointless. After the first time UC beats Tulsa, they are no longer ranked and no longer considered a good win. Beating them two times also further diminishes the value of a win against them, as they then would have three losses. If the regular season game is canceled, on decision day the committee can look at UC having a win against a two loss Tulsa team rather than beating a three loss team twice.

11-30-2020 10:27 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(11-30-2020 10:27 AM)Saint Martin Wrote:  The regular season game is pointless. After the first time UC beats Tulsa, they are no longer ranked and no longer considered a good win. Beating them two times also further diminishes the value of a win against them, as they then would have three losses. If the regular season game is canceled, on decision day the committee can look at UC having a win against a two loss Tulsa team rather than beating a three loss team twice.

That wasn't the case last year when Memphis-UC happened twice. We didn't even drop in the polls after two games with them.

11-30-2020 10:49 AM
Saint Martin Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-30-2020 10:49 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(11-30-2020 10:27 AM)Saint Martin Wrote:  The regular season game is pointless. After the first time UC beats Tulsa, they are no longer ranked and no longer considered a good win. Beating them two times also further diminishes the value of a win against them, as they then would have three losses. If the regular season game is canceled, on decision day the committee can look at UC having a win against a two loss Tulsa team rather than beating a three loss team twice.

That wasn't the case last year when Memphis-UC happened twice. We didn't even drop in the polls after two games with them.

Last year Memphis entered both games ranked #17 and left both games ranked #17. UC 2020 = Memphis 2019 in this case. If Memphis would have moved up by beating UC twice, then absolutely go for it. Memphis and UC stayed the same rankings. If the committee follows the same logic in 2020, why risk injuries?

11-30-2020 11:00 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(11-30-2020 11:00 AM)Saint Martin Wrote:  

Last year Memphis entered both games ranked #17 and left both games ranked #17. UC 2020 = Memphis 2019 in this case. If Memphis would have moved up by beating UC twice, then absolutely go for it. Memphis and UC stayed the same rankings. If the committee follows the same logic in 2020, why risk injuries?

This why we need a 12th team and divisions. Play 5 in division and 3 crossovers. Play crossovers first. Thus the odds become only 50% of a repeat and even if a repeat it would be 6 weeks our more since game.

UAB as a new market in a big city with a new FB stadium and a decent BB program should be #12.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2020 11:12 AM by doss2.)
11-30-2020 11:08 AM
Advertisement

cincy7718 Offline
2nd String

an interesting idea for sure and definitely the best way to hype the AAC championship as it would create the highest possible ranking for the teams. if we beat Tulsa once they might drop out of the rankings altogether for the rematch, especially if we beat them up pretty good. that definitely might happen creating a meh rematch that would setup them taking a 3rd loss and lead most people nationally viewing it as not an impressive win. beating them twice would definitely knock them out of the rankings leaving us likely without a top25 win.

certainly a moot point because the media that controls all of this is beyond biased, and straight up corrupt. so i say play as much as possible and enjoy the ride to a NY6 bowl. they'll put us against either the team most likely to beat us and shut up our argument, while maintaining the right to say "they (georgia/texA&M etc) didnt show up/care/have anything to play for" if we should win (see ucf). or they put us against BYU in a total no win scenario within the national conversation. so just enjoy what you can is my plan and hope they win as many games as possible.

11-30-2020 01:37 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Its possible, if Tulsa loses to Navy and UC, that we get Memphis again depending on how their last games shape up. Would Memphis be a more attractive opponent for the CCG?

11-30-2020 01:40 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-30-2020 11:08 AM)doss2 Wrote:  

This why we need a 12th team and divisions. Play 5 in division and 3 crossovers. Play crossovers first. Thus the odds become only 50% of a repeat and even if a repeat it would be 6 weeks our more since game.

UAB as a new market in a big city with a new FB stadium and a decent BB program should be #12.

Not going to happen. Based on some things Mike Aresco has said since UConn announced they were leaving, the AAC is going to stay at 11 if one of Army, BYU or Boise do not come into the fold. I don't think the NCAA will force their hand to go to 12 for a variety of reasons.

11-30-2020 01:44 PM
BearcatMan Offline

Wait...did you just call Birmingham a big city? I'm thinking you might need to check on that 03-lmfao

Plus, there are probably 10 candidates I'd rather have IF we had to move back to 12.

11-30-2020 02:56 PM
BearcatMan Offline

Please note...I said "we" meaning UC. After losing both of those games, we were still a Top 25 team. In your original post, you stated that Tulsa would drop from the Top 25...my rebuttal gave a clear example that that isn't a guarantee based on literally the most recent example of this happening.

11-30-2020 02:58 PM
Advertisement

UCBearcatlawjd2 Online
All American

Honestly would like the season to just end as UC would be NY6 bound. That is the goal.

11-30-2020 03:02 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(11-30-2020 03:02 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Honestly would like the season to just end as UC would be NY6 bound. That is the goal.

With each hour that passes and more games being cancelled, I'm beginning to think this is a real possibility. At this point, I'll be surprised if Tulsa makes the trip to Navy this coming weekend and will UC be ready to go to Tulsa in twelve days if substantial numbers of our players are testing positive currently? I don't know if that is the case, but the announcement of the cancellation of the Temple game suggested both the Owls and Bearcats had issues.

11-30-2020 03:18 PM
bcat1997 Offline
All American

Keep both games scheduled. The more games we play, the better we look versus PAC and BIG10. And if one gets canceled due to COVID then we could still be crowned conference champion. Two chances to ensure at least one of these get played.

11-30-2020 03:37 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I'm not crazy about UAB, but I agree about getting back to 12 teams and doing divisions. This will be the 2nd year in a row that the conference championship game has been a rematch from the week before. That's not good for our conference. Winning both games is essentially credited as one win in the rankings, and if the teams split, we risk losing out on the NY6 bowl. I'm hoping BYU getting shafted in the CFP rankings makes them rethink the idea of joining the AAC, although I prefer football only due to travel.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2020 03:54 PM by robertfoshizzle.)
11-30-2020 03:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.