Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - other CAA OOC Basketball games
Bookmark and Share
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
This Thread should be more volatile this year with the potential for late adds and late drops due to COVID. The next 4 weeks should be very very interesting.

As of now the CAA has the following chances to knock off power conference teams with the added benefit of minimal home court advantage due to zero or few fans in attendance.

Hopefully games are added as opponents bail last minute for quarantine and JMU along with other CAA teams get Additional primo games.
Delaware - none
JMU - Florida
Towson - UVA
UNCW - Ol’ Miss
CoC - UNC
Northeastern - Georgia
Hofstra - Rutgers
Drexel - Pitt, Penn St. (postponed)
W&M - NC State, UVA
Elon - Duke, UNC

Tomorrow starts with 2 opportunities.
Towson will likely get schooled by UVA.
CoC has a better chance against UNC.
The heels are coming off of an embarrassing season and have a ton of Freshmen in their first college game so they should be vulnerable. They may be the tallest team in the country Though with 6 dudes at 6’10” or taller 04-jawdrop
Earl Grant is a good coach and if he can use ball pressure Full court to make this a guard game, the CoC will have a shooter’s chance to pull the upset even if they get out rebounded by 15.

Note that JMU gets 2 games at home vs CoC this year in the funky CAA schedule. Would be nice to have CoC come to the AUBC with a UNC win under their belt.
11-24-2020 09:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
RE: OT - other CAA OOC Basketball games
Northeastern postponed their Winter Sports until Dec 18. The only OOC game the Huskies have scheduled is Georgia.
11-24-2020 09:49 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
(11-24-2020 09:49 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Northeastern postponed their Winter Sports until Dec 18. The only OOC game the Huskies have scheduled is Georgia.

Does anyone recall their truncated schedule and what it looked like? Also A Louisville coach is on Twitter asking for an opponent on December 4th at Mohegan Sun in CT. Game will be televised on espn2. Would fit nicely as a game for JMU between their 11/29 Game vs Radford and their 12/7 game cards ODU. Heck package it with Louisville and have them come to Harrisonburg next year if JMU agrees to travel there in 22. 3 game series- helping them on short notice neutral site, return game at home in front of a full crowd and then travel
To them the next year.
11-24-2020 10:27 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(11-24-2020 09:18 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  This Thread should be more volatile this year with the potential for late adds and late drops due to COVID. The next 4 weeks should be very very interesting.

As of now the CAA has the following chances to knock off power conference teams with the added benefit of minimal home court advantage due to zero or few fans in attendance.

Hopefully games are added as opponents bail last minute for quarantine and JMU along with other CAA teams get Additional primo games.
Delaware - none
JMU - Florida
Towson - UVA
UNCW - Ol’ Miss
CoC - UNC
Northeastern - Georgia
Hofstra - Rutgers
Drexel - Pitt, Penn St. (postponed)
W&M - NC State, UVA
Elon - Duke, UNC

Tomorrow starts with 2 opportunities.
Towson will likely get schooled by UVA.
CoC has a better chance against UNC.
The heels are coming off of an embarrassing season and have a ton of Freshmen in their first college game so they should be vulnerable. They may be the tallest team in the country Though with 6 dudes at 6’10” or taller 04-jawdrop
Earl Grant is a good coach and if he can use ball pressure Full court to make this a guard game, the CoC will have a shooter’s chance to pull the upset even if they get out rebounded by 15.

Note that JMU gets 2 games at home vs CoC this year in the funky CAA schedule. Would be nice to have CoC come to the AUBC with a UNC win under their belt.

Obviously Roy Williams is not a disciple of the Byington small ball strategy 03-lmfao

CoC does have a history in this series:

11-24-2020 10:27 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-24-2020 10:27 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(11-24-2020 09:49 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Northeastern postponed their Winter Sports until Dec 18. The only OOC game the Huskies have scheduled is Georgia.

Does anyone recall their truncated schedule and what it looked like? Also A Louisville coach is on Twitter asking for an opponent on December 4th at Mohegan Sun in CT. Game will be televised on espn2. Would fit nicely as a game for JMU between their 11/29 Game vs Radford and their 12/7 game cards ODU. Heck package it with Louisville and have them come to Harrisonburg next year if JMU agrees to travel there in 22. 3 game series- helping them on short notice neutral site, return game at home in front of a full crowd and then travel
To them the next year.

We have the new phone in place with an extra loud ringer. Now just need them to call.
11-25-2020 02:21 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

The CAA has not started well this year compiling a 8-12 record against D-1 teams so far. Additionally, many benchmark games against P7 programs have been cancelled due to COVID quarantine. There are less than 10% of the teams quarantined in the NCAA , but There are 40% of the CAA teams Quarantined which is the highest percentage of any conference. Does anyone know if there are more stringent protocols in the CAA vs everyone else?

It feels like a sports vacuum and Dec 14th can’t get here soon enough.
12-08-2020 08:18 AM
Advertisement

NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Nobody has beaten anyone of note with few opportunities but based on what I’ve seen I think Drexel may be pretty good and Towson may be a little overrated like they have been on occasion in the past.

Also, I thought UNCW would be awful this season and they may still end up being awful but out of the gate they look more competitive. Coc looks worse early on than expected.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2020 09:56 AM by NJDuke97.)
12-08-2020 08:40 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
Drexel has been promising so far. They lost by single digits at Pitt. That is not that notable, until you look at the box score and realize pitt shot 26-31 from inside the arc and only won by 9. Keeping a game manageable without stopping a team is impressive. Then they a bad Quinnipiac team by double digits each night on back to back nights and then beat a not good Coppin State team by double digits (who somehow only lost by 10 to Duke). Definitely doing what is expected so far, which is unlike Spiker teams thus far. Depth has been nice for them and should benefit in CAA play with playing back to backs.
12-08-2020 09:42 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

Well Coppin State beat us last year but I'm not sure how much turnover their roster had.
12-08-2020 10:48 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Another COVID positive test on the JMU MBB team yesterday. It’s unclear to me how much additional time will now be required to test negative so the Dukes can play the next game. JMU has already lost OOC home games against Maryland and ODU. Ouch.

I hate 2020.
12-10-2020 09:01 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

GET READY TO HATE 2021 EVERYBODY YEEHAW!
12-10-2020 10:08 AM
Advertisement

Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

COVID sucks. We all are 100% in unison.
12-10-2020 01:59 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Northeastern @ ODU, Dec 20.
12-10-2020 07:33 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

The CAA has been brutal so far going 11-17 OOC against D-1 teams. It looks like it will be a free for all and seeds 1-10 can win the CAA tourney. None of the teams have even looked remotely good which should give the Dukes a puncher’s chance by March. We have a reason to believe.
12-12-2020 07:17 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

ODU got crushed by VCU today. They looked bad. VCUs defense caused a bunch of turnovers. They don’t have enough guys who can score.

UNCW lost handily at Ole Miss. They looked vulnerable in the post. Their guards were pretty good defensively when they pressed but Ole Miss converted a lot of point blank shots.
12-12-2020 09:45 PM
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

Posted: March 19, 2015
By MATT JONES

HARRISONBURG — Both James Madison athletic director Jeff Bourne and Colonial Athletic Association Commissioner Tom Yeager say the CAA is “close” to being back to where it once was as a men’s basketball league.

For the fourth straight year, the CAA placed just one team – automatic qualifier Northeastern – in the NCAA Tournament and still hasn’t found a flagship program to replace former members like Virginia Commonwealth and George Mason.
League officials, though, say they’re upbeat.

Both Bourne and Yeager expressed confidence in the direction the league is heading – but noted it has been a tough process to rebuild it to where it was in the mid-to-late 2000s.

The CAA finished 19th in the RPI power ratings this season among 33 Division I conferences, its second-lowest ranking in the last 15 years. Only once was it worse (24th): in 2012-13, when JMU won the league’s tournament to qualify for the NCAAs.

The Colonial’s best programs all have left the league in recent years. VCU and Mason – which have Final Fours on their résumés – bolted for the Atlantic 10, and Old Dominion left for Conference USA.

Since then, the CAA has struggled to regain the prestige it once had as a basketball conference.

“We worked very hard to develop every school to play at a high level and they were dedicated and everybody made a large commitment,” said Bourne, AD at JMU since 1999. “I think it’s a re-focusing, and I see that within the league; it just doesn’t happen overnight.”'

With an invitation to the basketball-centric Atlantic 10 highly unlikely, is the CAA still the best conference for JMU if it remains in FCS (I-AA)?

“I think we look at all of the peers in the league and say we’re committed,” Bourne said. “If we work hard and do the things we need to do with our schedules and everybody recruits and plays well, you’ve got a chance. The league can come back.”
Bourne said the CAA’s poor RPI and national standing is a problem the league is looking to fix, and it starts with schools devoting resources to basketball.
12-12-2020 09:47 PM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Mystified how I’m watching Carolina v Miami games, uva v tek games. Etc Sunday’s, Monday nights, Thursday nights
With squads of 100 players and many multiples of that in tow.

Yet we can’t get 13 or 26 young men to get on the program?

Was I watching Notre Dame v Kentucky today or no? I was admittedly distracted.

Somehow, someshow, guess not

Odd, that. No?
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2020 01:37 AM by JMUDunk.)
12-13-2020 01:36 AM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Shouldn’t be a surprise at all. The players are no different than the rest of society. When half of the population refuses to wear a mask and social distance, the outcome is a continued outbreak. The virus will eventually run its course and life will be back to normal. In the meantime, don’t expect for all of America to do the right thing. If it hasn’t happened by now, it ain’t happening.
12-13-2020 09:07 AM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
Sooooo when are we getting jmu basketball back
12-13-2020 11:00 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I think we also have to keep in mind the difference between football and hoops. Football is played outside and you can wear face shields. The rosters are bigger so I think schools are handling positive tests differently. Hoops smaller rosters and indoors so essentially one positive around the program shuts you down completely. Hoops does lend itself to a bubble environment though due to the smaller rosters.
12-13-2020 01:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.