Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dodd: Majority of Power Five schools favor breaking away to form own division within
Bookmark and Share
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
Dodd: Majority of Power Five schools favor breaking away to form own division within
Didn’t see this one the main board.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspor...shows/amp/

Quote: The 61% figure extrapolated would represent 40 Power Five schools positive toward the idea of a breakaway with 15% against the idea of a new NCAA division for their conferences. Significantly less than half of the schools in the Group of Five, FCS and non-football playing Division I supported the concept.

Quote: The new division would allow the Power Five to establish its own minimums for number of sports (currently at 16 per school) and scholarship (85 in football, 13 in men's basketball) along with separate amateurism rules.

In essence, the Power Five would be on its own playing under an NCAA umbrella and collecting NCAA Tournament revenue. Those conferences received increased rules-making autonomy through NCAA legislation five years ago.

Would be interesting in who those schools are that are ready or willing to break away from the NCAA. I would assume altering the benefits to athletes to fend against a future semipro league could be a reason as well as dissatisfaction with the NCAA in general.
10-19-2020 06:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Dodd: Majority of Power Five schools favor breaking away to form own division within
(10-19-2020 06:52 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Didn’t see this one the main board.

Quote: The 61% figure extrapolated would represent 40 Power Five schools positive toward the idea of a breakaway with 15% against the idea of a new NCAA division for their conferences. Significantly less than half of the schools in the Group of Five, FCS and non-football playing Division I supported the concept.

Quote: The new division would allow the Power Five to establish its own minimums for number of sports (currently at 16 per school) and scholarship (85 in football, 13 in men's basketball) along with separate amateurism rules.

In essence, the Power Five would be on its own playing under an NCAA umbrella and collecting NCAA Tournament revenue. Those conferences received increased rules-making autonomy through NCAA legislation five years ago.

Would be interesting in who those schools are that are ready or willing to break away from the NCAA. I would assume altering the benefits to athletes to fend against a future semipro league could be a reason as well as dissatisfaction with the NCAA in general.

If 40 want to do it you can be sure that most of the rest, but not all, of the current P5 will follow for no other reason than fear of being left behind. Think a minimum of 48 and much likelier some number between 56 to 60.

Also, I felt your hogs got hosed at the end of the Auburn game. You deserved the win.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2020 07:29 PM by JRsec.)
10-19-2020 07:27 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Dodd: Majority of Power Five schools favor breaking away to form own division within
(10-19-2020 07:27 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

If 40 want to do it you can be sure that most of the rest, but not all, of the current P5 will follow for no other reason than fear of being left behind. Think a minimum of 48 and much likelier some number between 56 to 60.

Also, I felt your hogs got hosed at the end of the Auburn game. You deserved the win.

Hogs totally got hosed. It was because the refs blew the whistle too early, not blatant or egregious to help the other team. So I’m not that mad over it, plus it’ll add more fuel to the fire next season in this rivalry. It’s playing Florida that the refs tend to bail out the gators that I can’t stand.
10-19-2020 07:50 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Quote:"These 65 schools would become a completely new division of the NCAA in all sports except basketball," said Michael Cross, a Knight Commission consultant who summarized the question.

Interesting way to frame the question.

Almost sounds like someone with the NCAA has bargained their way into saving their cash cow. Perhaps the Power schools are afraid of tinkering with what is already very popular.

But if basketball is the only true NCAA sport then that means the Power schools are controlling everything else...baseball, softball, hockey, or anything else that could be used to raise a university profile and bring money on the back end.
10-20-2020 12:27 AM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

The bolded part is also interesting. You would think basically zero members of the NCAA outside the P5 would want this, but it only says significantly less than half. So it's not all. One wonders how many of the G5 would be willing to make that jump?
10-20-2020 12:31 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Pure speculation...

If can count on 40 making the move then virtually everyone else in the P5 will go along with it, but there do seem to be some G5 schools willing to make that jump. It would make sense for schools who are desperately trying to break into the upper echelon and have invested a great deal in that endeavor. I think a few of them could make the jump simply because their content value will be in replacing all the schools that have no interest.

Think of it this way, if each Power conference loses at least 1 member to non-compliance then it would make sense to simply add a G5 to ensure the same number of games for TV contracts.

The only alternative would be large scale realignment within the Power ranks, but you have diminishing returns. More importantly, it won't make a great deal of sense to shuffle the chairs on the deck when everyone's pretty much in the same boat anyway. Add a handful of G5s to balance the numbers and maintain status quo as far as membership.

If a school like Vanderbilt decides not to compete at that level then the SEC calls up a school that is more interested in competing anyway. Less disturbing to the current power structure.
10-20-2020 12:39 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(10-20-2020 12:31 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

The bolded part is also interesting. You would think basically zero members of the NCAA outside the P5 would want this, but it only says significantly less than half. So it's not all. One wonders how many of the G5 would be willing to make that jump?

I don't assume that all, if any, of the G5 schools that support this concept are doing so because they think or hope they would be part of the breakaway group. They may support it just so they can remain in a group in which they can be competitive.
05-06-2021 11:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.