Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
10-05-2020 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Graffiti @ Swem
dumb but at least it calls out liberalism.

maybe they should charge whoever did it the cleaning costs... should put an end to it fairly quickly
10-05-2020 02:21 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Graffiti @ Swem
This confused me. "Liberalism is White Supremacy" followed by "F12". Are they saying that the police are propping up white supremacy minded liberalism? In my experience, law enforcement generally leans more towards the conservative. Either way it's stupid.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020 07:28 PM by mrjoolius.)
10-05-2020 07:27 PM
soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

(10-05-2020 07:27 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  This confused me. "Liberalism is White Supremacy" followed by "F12". Are they saying that the police are propping up white supremacy minded liberalism? In my experience, law enforcement generally leans more towards the conservative. Either way it's stupid.

the entirety of western liberal society is based on white supremacy (according to some). These liberal white supremacist societies use law enforcement to keep other people down.

*liberal meaning values associated with traditional liberalism and individual rights, not modern day liberal / conservative US politics.
10-05-2020 08:00 PM
Advertisement

NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(10-05-2020 08:00 PM)soccerguy315 Wrote:  
(10-05-2020 07:27 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  This confused me. "Liberalism is White Supremacy" followed by "F12". Are they saying that the police are propping up white supremacy minded liberalism? In my experience, law enforcement generally leans more towards the conservative. Either way it's stupid.

the entirety of western liberal society is based on white supremacy (according to some). These liberal white supremacist societies use law enforcement to keep other people down.

*liberal meaning values associated with traditional liberalism and individual rights, not modern day liberal / conservative US politics.

I would venture that you put more thought into trying to discern some meaning from what some moron spray painted on bricks than they did in coming up with these "pearls of wisdom."
10-06-2020 06:34 AM
Swemster Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-06-2020 06:34 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  

I would venture that you put more thought into trying to discern some meaning from what some moron spray painted on bricks than they did in coming up with these "pearls of wisdom."

Agreed lol
10-06-2020 10:33 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
I dunno.....seems like some high brow graffiti to me. Maybe a history or philosophy major or law student.
10-06-2020 11:01 AM
Advertisement

Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
It's just fortunate that enlightened jurisdictions no longer prosecute this sort of constitutionally protected political expression/creative street art/whatever.
10-06-2020 11:02 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

Graffiti @ Swem
Makes u think

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
10-06-2020 12:10 PM
DSL Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
Here's the appropriate means to express yourself:

https://www.wm.edu/offices/studentleader.../index.php

there's also a giant chalkboard between the new science center and the new dorms
10-06-2020 12:27 PM
Advertisement

soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

(10-06-2020 10:33 AM)Swemster Wrote:  

Agreed lol

haha I don't think so... it is a pretty standard marxist take on the current situation. The view that the wealthy and the government are a class of people keeping certain other classes down and the only way to change it is to remove the government and wealthy from their positions of power and authority. I'm sure you have seen the talking points about why it's ok to destroy private property and businesses that have been occurring the last few months. I'm sure you've seen the anarchy symbols spray painted at BLM protests. A state justice system enforced by the government, private property, profits... they are all qualities of "liberalism". The current conversation even includes calls for censorship and cancel culture for wrong-thinkers or speakers, which you could interpret as "removal from the party" a la the Bolsheviks of 100 years ago.

Everyone participating in BLM protests does not believe this. I bet the vast majority do not. But there are many who do. And college campuses are a great place to find marxists, as I'm sure you would agree, haha.

I would guess that the person that painted this views W&M as an oppressive place. (And I would tell them that they should go somewhere that is not oppressive, if they feel that way... perhaps the University of Phoenix).
10-06-2020 02:34 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-06-2020 02:34 PM)soccerguy315 Wrote:  I would guess that the person that painted this views W&M as an oppressive place. (And I would tell them that they should go somewhere that is not oppressive, if they feel that way... perhaps the University of Phoenix).

But that's the rub isn't it? There is no non-oppressive place. There is no place on this planet where there aren't the haves and have nots and the perceived taking advantage of another to get ahead. Whether justified or not, there will be an unfair reason why someone else prospers and another fails. I know that this isn't really "oppression", but it leads to the perception of it. There is no such place short of the Federation of Planets on Star Trek where all are on equal footing to get ahead (and I could argue that there is a human bias there too )

10-06-2020 02:52 PM
Swemster Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-06-2020 02:34 PM)soccerguy315 Wrote:  
(10-06-2020 10:33 AM)Swemster Wrote:  

Agreed lol

haha I don't think so... it is a pretty standard marxist take on the current situation. The view that the wealthy and the government are a class of people keeping certain other classes down and the only way to change it is to remove the government and wealthy from their positions of power and authority. I'm sure you have seen the talking points about why it's ok to destroy private property and businesses that have been occurring the last few months. I'm sure you've seen the anarchy symbols spray painted at BLM protests. A state justice system enforced by the government, private property, profits... they are all qualities of "liberalism". The current conversation even includes calls for censorship and cancel culture for wrong-thinkers or speakers, which you could interpret as "removal from the party" a la the Bolsheviks of 100 years ago.

Everyone participating in BLM protests does not believe this. I bet the vast majority do not. But there are many who do. And college campuses are a great place to find marxists, as I'm sure you would agree, haha.

I would guess that the person that painted this views W&M as an oppressive place. (And I would tell them that they should go somewhere that is not oppressive, if they feel that way... perhaps the University of Phoenix).

Yep I understand all that— was more so agreeing that the sophisticated interpretation of connecting “F12” to sustaining white supremacy through liberalism (as opposed to merely an institution stereotypically supported by conservatives) is likely beyond the scope of the message scrawled on the front of the library.
10-06-2020 03:01 PM
2017WithPep Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William & Mary and JMU
(10-06-2020 02:34 PM)soccerguy315 Wrote:  I would guess that the person that painted this views W&M as an oppressive place. (And I would tell them that they should go somewhere that is not oppressive, if they feel that way... perhaps the University of Phoenix).

Pushing for change at the College can be a great thing, but I think you are on to something here. No school is for everybody, and it has been interesting to see some of the people who are most adamant about some changes at the College also writing/saying that they want nothing to do with it after they graduate. It does make me think about how the College administration determines who they listen to.
10-06-2020 03:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.