Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

One less MAC bowl game for 2020
Bookmark and Share
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
One less MAC bowl game for 2020
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-fo...games/amp/

Quote:The Bahamas Bowl and the Hawaii Bowl, which were both set to be played in December, have been canceled due to the current health pandemic and travel restrictions.
10-03-2020 04:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
RE: One less MAC bowl game for 2020
(10-03-2020 04:16 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-fo...games/amp/

Quote:The Bahamas Bowl and the Hawaii Bowl, which were both set to be played in December, have been canceled due to the current health pandemic and travel restrictions.

So same as last year then correct since I believe the MAC added an Arizona bowl game?
10-04-2020 02:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I think only the Champ (maybe the runner up too) should go this year
10-04-2020 05:46 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Even if most of these bowls stayed alive, have to figure a ton of schools will be turning down invites (and with good reason).

As Bronco14 said, I bet the champ plus maybe one other will actually have a post-season game. So something like Detroit and Mobile.

MAC, in particular, is not going to spend money flying teams across the country, only to stay locked up in a hotel for much of the time.
10-05-2020 08:27 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
I think both title teams should go bowling and if a team is 5-1 but lost a division tie breaker should also go. So possibly 3 or 4, but that seems doubtful.
10-05-2020 11:29 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Quick Lane Bowl is sitting out this year. That was one bowl I thought the MAC would participate in.

Through a combination of bowl attrition, and schools deciding not to lose money flying somewhere to sit in a hotel room during a pandemic, I'm thinking the season will be pre-2000 style: Only the MAC champ goes bowling.
10-30-2020 11:02 AM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I'd be okay with just an extra game or two during bowl season. If ULL wants to play a MAC team, our AD's should be okay with it. If UTEP invites Akron on down, why should Akron have to decline. Be safe first, but all OOC games should be welcome. The B1G, is playing cross division down the line during title weekend. That's awesome.
10-30-2020 12:28 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(10-30-2020 11:02 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Quick Lane Bowl is sitting out this year. That was one bowl I thought the MAC would participate in.

Through a combination of bowl attrition, and schools deciding not to lose money flying somewhere to sit in a hotel room during a pandemic, I'm thinking the season will be pre-2000 style: Only the MAC champ goes bowling.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...084469002/

We'll still have our fair share of bowl games. And they will be Christmas week.
10-31-2020 04:46 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't know if it's about the number of slots available, but more about whether MAC schools will accept. MAC presidents begrudgingly signed back on to play this season to salvage recruiting and mitigate a mass exodus to the portal.

Our member schools' athletic departments are already cash-strapped with all the testing and no P5 payouts. While Detroit's bowl is a "cheaper" drive in/drive out option, I'm not sure if a MAC also-ran will accept a bid to fly to Texas or New Mexico to play FIU. And that doesn't even consider if COVID is in peak form in December.

If they feel image/recruiting will be irreparably hurt, then sure, they'll accept a bid. But in 2020, the presidents reeeaaally don't want to.
10-31-2020 08:56 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-31-2020 08:56 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  I don't know if it's about the number of slots available, but more about whether MAC schools will accept. MAC presidents begrudgingly signed back on to play this season to salvage recruiting and mitigate a mass exodus to the portal.

Our member schools' athletic departments are already cash-strapped with all the testing and no P5 payouts. While Detroit's bowl is a "cheaper" drive in/drive out option, I'm not sure if a MAC also-ran will accept a bid to fly to Texas or New Mexico to play FIU. And that doesn't even consider if COVID is in peak form in December.

If they feel image/recruiting will be irreparably hurt, then sure, they'll accept a bid. But in 2020, the presidents reeeaaally don't want to.

6-0 Miami traveling to Montgomery to play a 10-0 Coastal Carolina would be something worth traveling for.
11-01-2020 06:35 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-01-2020 06:35 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(10-31-2020 08:56 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  I don't know if it's about the number of slots available, but more about whether MAC schools will accept. MAC presidents begrudgingly signed back on to play this season to salvage recruiting and mitigate a mass exodus to the portal.

6-0 Miami traveling to Montgomery to play a 10-0 Coastal Carolina would be something worth traveling for.

Now that you mention Coastal Carolina. EMU was supposed to host them back in September.

We beat them on the road in 2019.
11-01-2020 08:18 AM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:

Anybody have an update on the brawl at the Theta Chi House involving the St John's WR?
11-01-2020 08:25 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Oh I believe the MAC champ will bowl, and likely the MACC loser too.

Beyond that is where I think it gets questionable.
11-01-2020 11:32 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-01-2020 08:25 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

Anybody have an update on the brawl at the Theta Chi House involving the St John's WR?

https://www-espn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/...frat-fight

No clue what or why
11-01-2020 11:38 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Do we have any feel for what the current bowl situation is?

The MAC website has not been updated with the 2020 bowl games.
11-30-2020 07:29 AM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Eight bowl games have currently been cancelled. Heard that on radio Saturday.
11-30-2020 01:42 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm still thinking, when this is all said and done, only the MACC winner and loser - and perhaps one other - will bowl.

Resulting from a combination of further bowl cancellations and a couple MAC schools not wanting to spend more money (and risk) sending a 3-3/4-2 team across the country.
11-30-2020 02:42 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-30-2020 02:42 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  I'm still thinking, when this is all said and done, only the MACC winner and loser - and perhaps one other - will bowl.

Resulting from a combination of further bowl cancellations and a couple MAC schools not wanting to spend more money (and risk) sending a 3-3/4-2 team across the country.

Ugh. We have some very good teams which might be sitting home this year. I can see 5 teams who are 4 - 0 or 3 -1 and deserving.

I'll get on my soap box again (I was this a.m. on the EMU board).

When the MAC postponed the season as the first FBS conference to do so... My reaction is WHY is the MAC leading, not following:

"P.S. I know we don't have university presidents reading here but a little advice:

If you aren't the 800-lb gorilla (in the room) you follow, not lead.

If you lead, then the 800-lb gorilla may decide he wants to lead and go in a different direction, you are screwed.

That is what happened to the MAC. They went first and then the 800-lb gorillas decided to take charge and the MAC ended up, completely helpless and hopeless.

Completely wasted FB season."

I esp. feel for UB which has a really good FB team, with a superstar RB, etc. and we have a 6-game season...
11-30-2020 03:07 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I know it's hindsight and all, but yeah, in retrospect we should've started with the other G5s after Labor Day weekend. The B1G knows it, too. It's the dice you roll, I suppose.

Two positives thus far: The conference has gotten through 4 weeks in the heart of the pandemic with only one cancellation. We've also been pretty lucky with weather, and next Saturday looks reasonably decent too.
11-30-2020 03:34 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I see just the Champ going & maybe the runner-up

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the MAC knew the Big 10 was going to initially cancel, and the MAC just the word out faster knowing the Big 10 was just trying to delay announcing the cancellation as long as they could. What do you know, shortly after the MAC announced they were cancelling, the Big 10 did too.

The MAC's big error was not allowing out-of-conference money games
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2020 04:45 PM by Bronco'14.)
11-30-2020 04:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.