Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mike Leach ends a 42 year streak
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Mike Leach ends a 42 year streak
For the first time since Notre Dame in 1978, the defending national champion loses their season opener the next year at home.

USFFan
09-26-2020 08:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
RE: Mike Leach ends a 42 year streak
It was also the first time the AP champ lost its first game the next season since Notre Dame beat Michigan in 1998 (at ND).
09-26-2020 08:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-26-2020 08:52 PM)TerryD Wrote:  It was also the first time the AP champ lost its first game the next season since Notre Dame beat Michigan in 1998 (at ND).

I remember watching that game from a hotel room in Arizona, was on a business trip. Tom Brady's first game as a starter.
09-26-2020 09:32 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Several LSU players opted out this season.
09-27-2020 12:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
Not really a fair comparison since LSU would have played a layup in its first game normally. All records should be discounted too. Just a joke that a middling QB threw for 600+ yards yesterday.

On another note, CFB has to do something about the length of games.
Miami-FSU took 4 hours
Texas-TTU was at 4:15 before OT
How is this remotely palatable for TV and fans?
09-27-2020 08:44 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(09-27-2020 08:44 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  Not really a fair comparison since LSU would have played a layup in its first game normally.

They did play a layup yesterday. They played Mississippi State at home. Sure they're not an FCS team at home but you don't get much easier in the SEC. It's not like they opened with Alabama or Georgia. They had no business losing this game and their season's over.
09-27-2020 09:10 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-27-2020 09:10 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(09-27-2020 08:44 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  Not really a fair comparison since LSU would have played a layup in its first game normally.

They did play a layup yesterday. They played Mississippi State at home. Sure they're not an FCS team at home but you don't get much easier in the SEC. It's not like they opened with Alabama or Georgia. They had no business losing this game and their season's over.

Well first of all, we don't know how good MST is. They might be very good. Second of all, if LSU runs the table they will surely make the playoffs.

Neither is likely, but still.

07-coffee3
09-27-2020 10:49 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Got a feeling Ed Orgeron will prove to be another Gene Chizik, who had the right QB and coordinators in place for a national championship but can't really sustain it.
09-27-2020 03:47 PM
Mav Offline
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
To me, this win just cements how good of a coach Mike Leach is more than anything. I can't wait to see them play Alabama.
09-27-2020 04:50 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(09-27-2020 08:44 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  On another note, CFB has to do something about the length of games.
Miami-FSU took 4 hours
Fair question, and I admit I don’t have the answer, except to say that I agree with you it’s a problem. I’m convinced that extreme length of games has really hurt baseball’s popularity now, compared to some past generations.

I think we’re at a stage now where most people who are watching sports-media have the ability to change channels and watch multiple events in rotation at the same time. Media-providers seem okay with that for now.
09-27-2020 08:00 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(09-27-2020 08:44 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  Not really a fair comparison since LSU would have played a layup in its first game normally. All records should be discounted too. Just a joke that a middling QB threw for 600+ yards yesterday.

Miami-FSU took 4 hours

I agree with the length of time in a blowout, But can't say that the Texas-TTU game was not palatable, except for the TTU fans.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2020 08:30 PM by sierrajip.)
09-27-2020 08:30 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(09-27-2020 08:44 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  Not really a fair comparison since LSU would have played a layup in its first game normally. All records should be discounted too. Just a joke that a middling QB threw for 600+ yards yesterday.

Miami-FSU took 4 hours

UCF-ECU hit 4 hours too in a blowout where, like Miami-FSU, the final quarter was spent running out the clock. ABC even had to depart the game early for the start of the afternoon kickoff.

How can blowout games, where teams are running the clock out, still take 4 hours long?
09-27-2020 09:25 PM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Do like soccer and run commercials concurrent with live game action. This alone would cut down on an hours worth of game time.
09-28-2020 08:15 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-27-2020 08:00 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(09-27-2020 08:44 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  On another note, CFB has to do something about the length of games.
Miami-FSU took 4 hours
Fair question, and I admit I don’t have the answer, except to say that I agree with you it’s a problem. I’m convinced that extreme length of games has really hurt baseball’s popularity now, compared to some past generations.

I think we’re at a stage now where most people who are watching sports-media have the ability to change channels and watch multiple events in rotation at the same time. Media-providers seem okay with that for now.

To me the big difference between the length of CFB games and baseball is that with CFB, most people don't feel the length of the games so much because they are often watching multiple games. It doesn't matter so much to me if Alabama - Missouri takes 4 hours, because I'm watching FSU - Miami at the same time and maybe one other game too. And if you are a fan in the stands, the game is often as much about tailgating and socializing.

But baseball isn't really watched like that. People focus on one game, and so if that game goes on and on and on, they feel it.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 09:21 AM by quo vadis.)
09-28-2020 09:20 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
Orgeron is going to get the Chizik treatment. Not after this year for obvious reasons, but I bet he's majorly on the hot seat next year. He's probably not going to go 4-8 like Chizik did without Malzahn, but a couple of 4 loss seasons and I bet he's out. Big time transfer QB and an elite coordinator that he rode to the championship, and now it's going to fall apart since both are gone.
09-28-2020 10:49 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(09-28-2020 10:49 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  Orgeron is going to get the Chizik treatment. Not after this year for obvious reasons, but I bet he's majorly on the hot seat next year. He's probably not going to go 4-8 like Chizik did without Malzahn, but a couple of 4 loss seasons and I bet he's out. Big time transfer QB and an elite coordinator that he rode to the championship, and now it's going to fall apart since both are gone.

I get the idea that Orgeron is thought of differently than Chizik though.

Chizik was just a gun-for-hire. If he can't win, he's out.

But Orgeron is a Cajun through-and-through. He was born deep in the Bayou, went to LSU, played for Northwestern State, and has coached 5 different teams in Louisiana (including the Saints). He even gives interviews in Cajun French (and he's 100% fluent).

To LSU fans, Orgeron is "One Of Us." Although I don't know any LSU fans, I think that connection matters more in Louisiana than nearly anyplace else in the country.
09-28-2020 11:06 AM
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(09-28-2020 11:06 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(09-28-2020 10:49 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  Orgeron is going to get the Chizik treatment. Not after this year for obvious reasons, but I bet he's majorly on the hot seat next year. He's probably not going to go 4-8 like Chizik did without Malzahn, but a couple of 4 loss seasons and I bet he's out. Big time transfer QB and an elite coordinator that he rode to the championship, and now it's going to fall apart since both are gone.

But Orgeron is a Cajun through-and-through. He was born deep in the Bayou, went to LSU, played for Northwestern State, and has coached 5 different teams in Louisiana (including the Saints). He even gives interviews in Cajun French (and he's 100% fluent).

To LSU fans, Orgeron is "One Of Us." Although I don't know any LSU fans, I think that connection matters more in Louisiana than nearly anyplace else in the country.

That's pretty much true. If he has a down year this year and goes on to win for them at Les Miles levels, he's pretty safe. If he is more like Gene Chizik, he still gets an extra year or two more than another coach would. He's a Louisiana guy coaching the LSU Tigers. That counts for a lot.

This year will be more of a bump on the road for them than anything, though. LSU has won three national championships this century under three different coaches. Nick Saban showed them how to keep talent home and win a natty. Les Miles won pretty big, but LSU fans went crazy because Saban wound up at Alabama and won even bigger. Coach O was willing to start at a lower salary, hire capable coordinators, and recruit hard as a guy that loved Louisiana. It worked.
09-28-2020 11:24 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(09-28-2020 11:24 AM)johnintx Wrote:  

That's pretty much true. If he has a down year this year and goes on to win for them at Les Miles levels, he's pretty safe. If he is more like Gene Chizik, he still gets an extra year or two more than another coach would. He's a Louisiana guy coaching the LSU Tigers. That counts for a lot.

This year will be more of a bump on the road for them than anything, though. LSU has won three national championships this century under three different coaches. Nick Saban showed them how to keep talent home and win a natty. Les Miles won pretty big, but LSU fans went crazy because Saban wound up at Alabama and won even bigger. Coach O was willing to start at a lower salary, hire capable coordinators, and recruit hard as a guy that loved Louisiana. It worked.

I'd agree with that. He's definitely an LSU guy and will get some extra time versus Chizik, but unless he gets back into natty competition in 2-3 years, he's going to be toast. It'll be written off as Burrow + Brady. Let's not forget Ed was on the edge of the hot seat before the last two years with Burrow. Their QB looked god awful last weekend. He needs to find another hotshot OC who can bring in a good transfer QB (since LSU can't seem to develop them).
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 11:36 AM by CitrusUCF.)
09-28-2020 11:34 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-28-2020 11:34 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  
(09-28-2020 11:24 AM)johnintx Wrote:  

I'd agree with that. He's definitely an LSU guy and will get some extra time versus Chizik, but unless he gets back into natty competition in 2-3 years, he's going to be toast. It'll be written off as Burrow + Brady. Let's not forget Ed was on the edge of the hot seat before the last two years with Burrow. Their QB looked god awful last weekend. He needs to find another hotshot OC who can bring in a good transfer QB (since LSU can't seem to develop them).

Well, Orgeron has already coached 7 more games at LSU than GC did at Auburn. This is his 5th year coaching at LSU so he's already had a career there kind of. Not many coaches stick with a school for 20 years like in the old days.
09-28-2020 02:38 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(09-27-2020 12:44 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Several LSU players opted out this season.

And UCF had 10 opt out. I am sure other schools had the same plight. It is interesting to see, in this season where depth is an issue, how these teams handle it. I just don't like the excuse card being used.
09-29-2020 04:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.