Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Update: Tarleton Facilities
Bookmark and Share
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
Update: Tarleton Facilities
Tarleton recently announced plans for a new $20mil Acquatics Center, to be completed in 2021 This will preclude the addition of two new sports: Swimming & Diving, and we already knew Women's Soccer is on the horizon.

It was also known that a Wisdom Gym upgrade/facelift would follow the Acquatic Center completion. Now confirmed that $10mil is funded for a 2021 construction start date.

But what I didn't know, and a colleague pointed out to me the other day, is Tarleton has $72mil approved for a new "Convocation and Events Center" aka ARENA, announcement forthcoming, with construction also scheduled to begin in 2021.
09-26-2020 01:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
RE: Update: Tarleton Facilities
(09-26-2020 01:21 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  But what I didn't know, and a colleague pointed out to me the other day, is Tarleton has $72mil approved for a new "Convocation and Events Center" aka ARENA, announcement forthcoming, with construction also scheduled to begin in 2021.

I so hope this is true. This is a much better plan than a remodel of Wisdom.
09-26-2020 02:16 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(09-26-2020 02:16 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  
(09-26-2020 01:21 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  But what I didn't know, and a colleague pointed out to me the other day, is Tarleton has $72mil approved for a new "Convocation and Events Center" aka ARENA, announcement forthcoming, with construction also scheduled to begin in 2021.

I so hope this is true. This is a much better plan than a remodel of Wisdom.

We're getting both! Wisdom may serve as practice facility for basketball and volleyball.

Go to pg. 12 here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...1136843272
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2020 02:34 PM by Itinerant Texan.)
09-26-2020 02:33 PM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

As I read the report, it states submittals.
09-26-2020 02:46 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(09-26-2020 02:46 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  As I read the report, it states submittals.

Yes that's how the process works with system schools in Texas. Present needs, get approval from TAMUS, submit to State.
State approves and covers some, TAMUS and Tarleton funds the leftovers through PUF, fundraising, athletic fees, etc. Everything you see on that list will happen.
09-26-2020 03:00 PM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

I Root For: NMSU
So, it appears Tarleton State is still trying to follow through with the Convocation and Event Center plans spelled out years ago. Does anyone know what the anticipated basketball seating capacity will be of this potential new arena? If the funding is shot down by the State, will Tarleton State move forward with possible Wisdom Gym renovations ($11-million) or save its money and resubmit for new arena funding yearly?

This is what $73-million gets you in California (CBU's 5050-seat arena)...

I wonder if Tarleton State would get more bang for it's bucks ($72-million) being in Texas?
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2020 04:50 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
09-27-2020 04:13 AM
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(09-27-2020 04:13 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  So, it appears Tarleton State is still trying to follow through with the Convocation and Event Center plans spelled out years ago. Does anyone know what the anticipated basketball seating capacity will be of this potential new arena? If the funding is shot down by the State, will Tarleton State move forward with possible Wisdom Gym renovations ($11-million) or save its money and resubmit for new arena funding yearly?

This is what $73-million gets you in California (CBU's 5050-seat arena)...

I wonder if Tarleton State would get more bang for it's bucks ($72-million) being in Texas?

Won't get "shot down" by State Legislature, just financially appropriated. It has been approved by A&M as an institutional need, not a want. If you look at the breakdown of funds available, there are a multitude of ways projects are funded, just a matter of the State deciding which funds will/should be applied to each project. Tarleton has the select benefit of being a PUF institution, meaning they have access to a substantial amount of "new construction" funds that many other schools do not. Not saying actual groundbreaking could not be delayed, but the project is approved, and will be funded, one way or another. So is a "Wisdom Lite" upgrade.

5k seats should be plenty, but maybe not. Tarleton just reached over 14k enrollment, and already has to split up commencement ceremonies to accomodate everyone inside Wisdom. Actual moved it outside to the Football Stadium during the pandemic. Enrollment is expected to reach 20k by 2030, so they may decide to "overbuild" for growth. Stephenville also has a few music festivals come through each year, those and booking other concerts would fill seats in a hurry. Really could be a game changer for Tarleton and the City of Stephenville, and alot could be done with $72mil.
09-27-2020 02:44 PM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

President Hurley gave his state of the university address on Twitter. The specific athletic facilities he mentioned was $6 million for baseball and softball upgrades and a $75 million arena.
09-30-2020 01:28 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
You guys need a new gym. You are in D1 now and if you want to be a player, a rinky-dink HS gym isn't gonna cut it. Updating Wisdom would seem counter intuitive to me.
09-30-2020 04:11 PM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

(09-30-2020 04:11 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  You guys need a new gym. You are in D1 now and if you want to be a player, a rinky-dink HS gym isn't gonna cut it. Updating Wisdom would seem counter intuitive to me.

All agree and that’s why we are getting a new $75 million arena. President stated it would seat 6 to 7 thousand.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2020 04:54 PM by TexanFan.)
09-30-2020 04:53 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(09-30-2020 01:28 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  President Hurley gave his state of the university address on Twitter. The specific athletic facilities he mentioned was $6 million for baseball and softball upgrades and a $75 million arena.

Cecil needs much, much more, but better than nothin'..
09-30-2020 05:52 PM
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

[quote='PojoaquePosse' pid='17019791' dateline='1601500268']
You guys need a new gym. You are in D1 now and if you want to be a player, a rinky-dink HS gym isn't gonna cut it. Updating Wisdom would seem counter intuitive to me.
03-zzz
09-30-2020 06:50 PM
wisdomgymrat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tarleton State
Arena will be pretty spectacular. I agree that Cecil needs more attention. Just look at what DBU constructed 10 years ago.
10-05-2020 03:37 PM
wisdomgymrat Offline
Special Teams

Drove by the campus a week ago after consuming a Queso Burger from Grumps. The renovation to the field house looks great. Now that opposing teams dress under the home bleachers, it will be really nice to see the final product (meeting rooms, offices, etc.) that they were able to add and reclaim from the former visitors dressing area.

Wonder when the official announcement of the Arena will occur. Pretty much every lot around the corner of Harbin and Washington have been purchased and cleared off. David Kincannon Insurance will get a pretty penny for their building eventually, as will the gas station.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2021 12:09 PM by wisdomgymrat.)
01-06-2021 12:08 PM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I saw a tweet today from one of the graduate SID’s and he stated he would be posting pics soon of the field house renovation. He did post a pic of the very early construction of the aquatic center.
01-06-2021 01:04 PM
Spolovilo4EVER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tarleton Baylor
any updates on the convocation center?
09-03-2021 12:58 AM
Advertisement

TexanFan Offline
1st String

(09-03-2021 12:58 AM)Spolovilo4EVER Wrote:  any updates on the convocation center?

There has been nothing publicly.
09-03-2021 05:25 AM
Spolovilo4EVER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tarleton Baylor
That is disappointing to say the least. I thought the funding was already approved. I do not think there is any question that it is badly needed. Especially given the elevation to D1 Athletics. I am scared they will settle for a mere renovation of Wisdom instead of doing what is truly needed to upgrade facilities to be competitive at this level.
09-07-2021 02:52 AM
wisdomgymrat Offline
Special Teams

Convocation center will happen within the next 4 years. Only a small group of people want to keep Wisdom around for Basketball... New Prez wants new everything which is good for the D1 move but bad for nostalgia.

Saw Coach Chris (Reisman) posted a few photos of the new turf at the baseball field on social media. Looks great.
09-08-2021 02:49 PM
wisdomgymrat Offline
Special Teams

09-08-2021 02:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.