Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Title IX Lawsuit
Bookmark and Share
Pete24 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: William & Mary
Title IX Lawsuit
The recent terrible optics around Tribe Athletics continues; as you’ve probably heard, the female athletes from the cut Tribe aports teams have threatened a Title IX lawsuit. It’s being reported by most local/regional/national news outlets and if you haven’t seen it, here’s the link:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pilotonl...utType=amp

The law firm, Bailey & Glasser, would not take this case on unless they were positive they will win.

What is most disturbing is that according to the firm’s senior partner, Arthur Bryant, W&M has not been in compliance with Title IX for the past two years:

“Bryant cited W&M numbers submitted to the U.S. Department of Education for the 2018-19 school year as part of the basis for a lawsuit. The numbers showed the school’s female undergraduate enrollment to be 57.7%, but only 46.3% of its intercollegiate athletes were female.”

It is appalling that AD Samantha Huge, who trumpets herself as an advocate for women, has actually denied W&M’s female athletes of opportunities equal to that of men. Not to mention the fact that she has exposed The College to a massive lawsuit that W&M will lose.
09-26-2020 11:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DSL Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
RE: Title IX Lawsuit
As mentioned previously on this board, there are several different measurements that colleges can use to demonstrate "substantial compliance" with Title 9.
This plaintiff attorney is merely using the one measurement that best suits his case and the one measurement that makes W&M look the worst.
Since this is not my specialty, I will not attempt to explain the other measurements that colleges can use to demonstrate compliance.
Lawyers for the college will likely use those other compliance measurements and will have evidence to support their side.
Very few colleges can meet compliance using the female v. male student ratios.
Most colleges are majority female and if they have a football program it would be nearly impossible to comply using raw percentages.

I'm thinking and hoping that with the bad publicity and clear errors by W&M leadership in handling these matter, some sort of compromise will result in favor of some of the teams involved. I'm afraid the male teams may not fair too well since I can't think of any legal argument they can make.
09-26-2020 12:34 PM
ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
Title IX Lawsuit
(09-26-2020 11:08 AM)Pete24 Wrote:  The recent terrible optics around Tribe Athletics continues; as you’ve probably heard, the female athletes from the cut Tribe aports teams have threatened a Title IX lawsuit. It’s being reported by most local/regional/national news outlets and if you haven’t seen it, here’s the link:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pilotonl...utType=amp

The law firm, Bailey & Glasser, would not take this case on unless they were positive they will win.

What is most disturbing is that according to the firm’s senior partner, Arthur Bryant, W&M has not been in compliance with Title IX for the past two years:

“Bryant cited W&M numbers submitted to the U.S. Department of Education for the 2018-19 school year as part of the basis for a lawsuit. The numbers showed the school’s female undergraduate enrollment to be 57.7%, but only 46.3% of its intercollegiate athletes were female.”

It is appalling that AD Samantha Huge, who trumpets herself as an advocate for women, has actually denied W&M’s female athletes of opportunities equal to that of men. Not to mention the fact that she has exposed The College to a massive lawsuit that W&M will lose.

Why do you say the firm would not take on this case unless they were positive they would win? There are a lot of reasons for firms to take on cases when winning is questionable; or even doubtful. It happens all the time.

(I’m not saying anything about the suit itself or this awful position our wonderful college is in ... I just found that one sentence as unusual rationale to use in the argument about why W&M is sitting on a huge - pun intended - lawsuit that it is definitely going to lose)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-26-2020 04:27 PM
Tribe32 Online
All American

I believe this is simply a way to get more national press and hopefully sway the folks in charge. Rowe and Huge have been adamant that the decision is final. The only way out of this for Rowe is to scapegoat Huge and fire her and then reinstate some of the sports.
09-26-2020 05:47 PM
Tribal Offline

(09-26-2020 05:47 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I believe this is simply a way to get more national press and hopefully sway the folks in charge. Rowe and Huge have been adamant that the decision is final. The only way out of this for Rowe is to scapegoat Huge and fire her and then reinstate some of the sports.
Rowe said the decision is final?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
09-26-2020 06:15 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
(09-26-2020 05:47 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I believe this is simply a way to get more national press and hopefully sway the folks in charge. Rowe and Huge have been adamant that the decision is final. The only way out of this for Rowe is to scapegoat Huge and fire her and then reinstate some of the sports.

https://www.wm.edu/news/announcements/20....-rowe.php
09-26-2020 06:40 PM
Tribe32 Online
All American

(09-26-2020 06:15 PM)Tribal Wrote:  

I must have missed something along the way. I hope I'm incorrect.
09-26-2020 07:23 PM
Pete24 Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-26-2020 07:23 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  
(09-26-2020 06:15 PM)Tribal Wrote:  

I must have missed something along the way. I hope I'm incorrect.

Both Rector John Littel & Rowe made lengthy statements on the BoV meeting suggesting a possible path forward for the 7 cut sports. See attached links ... W&M BoV Highlights
09-26-2020 08:32 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(09-26-2020 06:40 PM)nj alum Wrote:  

https://www.wm.edu/news/announcements/20....-rowe.php

Rowe said this (bold mine): "I want to say here what I’ve said to everyone personally. It’s simple but it really needs to be said: I am so sorry for the awful loss and sadness that this is causing. That’s real. I’ve been using the word bereavement, and I think that that is valid."

I don't like that. Bereavement means death --- and I hope that the 7 sports are still alive, even if only on life support. Her choice of words tells me that these sports are dead. However, IF she is truthful in wanting to rebuild trust, to truly listen, and to work together to determine what constitutes athletic success at W&M, then I am still hopeful that the sports will continue to live.
09-26-2020 10:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.