Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN: Baylor AD ‘disappointed in Holgerson’s ‘chirping’
GoldenFunk Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCF
Interesting read on the cancellation. I like the principled decision by Baylor to leave a OL suspended, even though it meant the game had to be cancelled.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...n-chirping
09-23-2020 06:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
RE: ESPN: Baylor AD ‘disappointed in Holgerson’s ‘chirping’
If Baylor was not communicating and upfront, I certainly understand Houston's frustration.
09-23-2020 07:14 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
TCU fans thought our trolling was funny and then there is Baylor....,
09-23-2020 07:20 AM
GoldenFunk Offline
Water Engineer

I definitely understand the frustration from Holgerson, especially after multiple games being cancelled. I just thought it was interesting Baylor decided to maintain a suspension even though it meant they had to cancel the game. If that was really the reason for the decision, it’s nice to see the integrity. It reminds me of the way O’Leary ran UCF. I remember him benching Kevin Smith for the 1st half against USF, for breaking curfew, if I remember correctly.
09-23-2020 07:30 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
I'm on board with any decision that ultimately turns Dan into Nick Nolte 3/4 of the way through any of his movies.

[Image: Pl15.gif]
09-23-2020 07:48 AM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(09-23-2020 06:13 AM)GoldenFunk Wrote:  Interesting read on the cancellation. I like the principled decision by Baylor to leave a OL suspended, even though it meant the game had to be cancelled.

I don't know if principled and Baylor go together in the last 30 years (sexual assaults, rapes, murders covered up etc etc).

Maybe they are trying to turn over a new leaf, or maybe they are avoiding another loss from an out of conference foe.
09-23-2020 08:05 AM
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Well, I'm disappointed in Baylor and their scandals. Pathetic...
09-23-2020 08:22 AM
TheOrigamiJimmyChin Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: My wife
(09-23-2020 07:30 AM)GoldenFunk Wrote:  I definitely understand the frustration from Holgerson, especially after multiple games being cancelled. I just thought it was interesting Baylor decided to maintain a suspension even though it meant they had to cancel the game. If that was really the reason for the decision, it’s nice to see the integrity. It reminds me of the way O’Leary ran UCF. I remember him benching Kevin Smith for the 1st half against USF, for breaking curfew, if I remember correctly.

UHs complaint is the timing and apparent deceit or at least lack of communication about the situation. Why waste UHs time and money (hotels, food, busses, etc) for a situation that didn't just come up 22 hours before kickoff. Baylor knew the situation with their players, but waited until the last minute to announce it.

I read somewhere that Baylor has committed to covering UH's and Fox Sports' costs... But I won't believe it until the check clears.
09-23-2020 09:09 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
To be clear... we have learned that the cancel threshold is a suggestion

Baylor could have played if it wanted to with or without the suspension...

And Houston’s frustration is why they waited till 20hours before the game...Houston already sent ton prep/equipment people to Baylor with no clue the game was at risk..
Holgs comments were about how Houston was kept in the dark till less than day..that you’d know if you were at risk
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020 07:51 PM by pesik.)
09-23-2020 10:22 AM
Agust Offline
1st String

The player was a punter....and also the scape goat reason why they couldn't put a team together. It allowed them to save face and play the moral high ground. We all know better.
09-23-2020 11:20 AM
natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
I don't know why it was even labeled chirping by that Baylor AD. He sounds like an idiot to me.

I have no bias and IMO the Baylor AD response and how the whole situation was unprofessional not Holgs. Holgs made very valid points I thought.
09-23-2020 12:02 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Holgerson was right to complain. Baylor screwed it up.
09-23-2020 12:46 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(09-23-2020 10:22 AM)pesik Wrote:  To be clear... we have learned the the cancel threshold is a suggestion

Baylor could have played if it wanted to with our without the suspension...

And Houston’s frustration is why they waited till 20hours before the game...Houston already sent ton prep/equipment people to Baylor with no clue the game was at risk..
Holgs comments were about how Houston was kept in the dark till less than day..that you’d know if you were at risk

Yeah, I concur with Holgs here. I mean, if Baylor already knew they were thin when they scheduled the game that week they should have given UH the heads up so they could have tried to make other arrangements. If it did not happen until the next testing date they could have placed a call even then before they made the trip. Just common courtesy.

I have a feeling we will see similar behavior throughout the course of the year if a school is not really that motivated to play someone.
09-23-2020 12:47 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
Lots of good points at how unprofessional baylor was in handling this matchup.. Heck, with their ugly record and poor behaviors they should be grateful Houston even agreed in scheduling them.
09-23-2020 10:51 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

(09-23-2020 06:13 AM)GoldenFunk Wrote:  Interesting read on the cancellation. I like the principled decision by Baylor to leave a OL suspended, even though it meant the game had to be cancelled.

"Principled" would have been forfeiting the game outright.

I believe the word you're looking for is "Chickens***."
09-23-2020 10:59 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

(09-23-2020 10:59 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

"Principled" would have been forfeiting the game outright.

I believe the word you're looking for is "Chickens***."

This.
09-24-2020 03:12 AM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(09-23-2020 10:22 AM)pesik Wrote:  To be clear... we have learned that the cancel threshold is a suggestion

Baylor could have played if it wanted to with or without the suspension...

BAM. Baylor could have played the game, even with the suspended player.

They were looking to save face, plain and simple.
09-24-2020 10:39 AM
GoldenFunk Offline
Water Engineer

I’m not sure the “chicken” argument makes sense Since they scheduled it a few days earlier. Or do you mean after they found out they were below the threshold value, they were being cowardly when they chose not to play?
09-24-2020 10:47 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(09-24-2020 10:47 AM)GoldenFunk Wrote:  I’m not sure the “chicken” argument makes sense Since they scheduled it a few days earlier. Or do you mean after they found out they were below the threshold value, they were being cowardly when they chose not to play?

it 100% makes sense..this game is played if we were seen as an easy win

we havent played baylor in 25 year, no raport between us...on a surface level we were a 4-8 mid-major and they were a 10 win high major ..on the surface level we were probably seen as an easy win

on a deep level, after scouting us, they probably realized we return almost everyone who played last year, while redshirting 30+ players last year ..they are team that lost a ton of players with a brand new coach who didnt even get 1 spring practice

their view of houston probably went similar to the line (gamblers also started scouting)..the line went from baylor being a 8 point favorite to in just 4 day a 3 point favorite

they have 6 oline..the only position group at risk..had a 7th option (suspended)..and 70% of college DLine played Oline aswell in high school as a backup plan.. baylor has had 3 games cancelled aswell and was desperate to play (said so in pressers) their confidence in winning played a major factor, if you want to be fair you could note the lack o-line as one of the reasons why
09-24-2020 11:47 AM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

(09-24-2020 10:47 AM)GoldenFunk Wrote:  I’m not sure the “chicken” argument makes sense Since they scheduled it a few days earlier. Or do you mean after they found out they were below the threshold value, they were being cowardly when they chose not to play?

You said that it was "principled" that Baylor stood by it's suspension and cancelled the game.

While I grant that has more integrity than "lifting" the suspension, which most schools would do, I don't see any sort of real principle in cancelling the game. The suspension didn't cost them anything, there were no real "principles" involved.

A truly principled stand would be to have played the game short-handed. Or to have said, "We don't have enough players to play the game because of this suspension...therefore we forfeit the game." To just back-out of the game and then say "Look, we have principles!" is just BS. Principles only matter when it is difficult and actually costs you something.
09-24-2020 07:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.