Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College Football Games Postponed or Canceled - Week of September 22
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
College Football Games Postponed or Canceled - Week of September 22
I think we need a weekly thread to track these, as there are likely to be games lost each week. Like today the announcement of WF - ND being postponed. So please add others as they arise.

Notre Dame - Wake Forest (postponed)
09-22-2020 05:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
RE: College Football Games Postponed or Canceled - Week of September 22
B1G is gonna be in for it. 5 to 6 game season. Book it.
09-22-2020 06:33 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-22-2020 06:33 PM)otown Wrote:  B1G is gonna be in for it. 5 to 6 game season. Book it.

I agree that is highly likely. I will just take what we can get from them, and anyone else playing.

I have enjoyed two Saturdays of college football so far and I am not taking even the next one for granted. We all know it can all end at any time.
09-22-2020 06:38 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-22-2020 06:38 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-22-2020 06:33 PM)otown Wrote:  B1G is gonna be in for it. 5 to 6 game season. Book it.

I agree that is highly likely. I will just take what we can get from them, and anyone else playing.

I have enjoyed two Saturdays of college football so far and I am not taking even the next one for granted. We all know it can all end at any time.

Its not ending. But there will continue to be cancellations.
09-22-2020 07:38 PM
otown Offline
All American

(09-22-2020 07:38 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Its gonna make the committees life a living hell. There are very few marquee matchups this year. Erase a few of them and then the SOS of these resumes are gonna be piss poor. Honestly, I do not see how you can place just 4 teams in the playoffs when you potentially will have some big name teams with potentially zero top 25 wins and only 5 to 6 games under their belt. I think this is the year that there is a hasty expansion if games continue to get plucked off. We only just started.
09-22-2020 07:49 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-22-2020 07:49 PM)otown Wrote:  

Its gonna make the committees life a living hell. There are very few marquee matchups this year. Erase a few of them and then the SOS of these resumes are gonna be piss poor. Honestly, I do not see how you can place just 4 teams in the playoffs when you potentially will have some big name teams with potentially zero top 25 wins and only 5 to 6 games under their belt. I think this is the year that there is a hasty expansion if games continue to get plucked off. We only just started.

I don't think the committee's life is going to be made much more difficult. Bottom line is if teams like Clemson, Alabama (or LSU, or Georgia, or Florida), Ohio State and Oklahoma win their games, no matter how many they play, they will make the playoffs. If they lose, then someone else will get their positions.
09-22-2020 08:03 PM
Advertisement

Crayton Online
All American

Top 2 teams not already playing December 19th meet in a CCG-esque game in Orlando (or one of their campuses)?
09-22-2020 08:20 PM
otown Offline
All American

(09-22-2020 08:03 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I don't think the committee's life is going to be made much more difficult. Bottom line is if teams like Clemson, Alabama (or LSU, or Georgia, or Florida), Ohio State and Oklahoma win their games, no matter how many they play, they will make the playoffs. If they lose, then someone else will get their positions.

I know you do not like talking about it, but what if you have OSU playing 5 games, undefeated against Maryland, Rutgers etc and their Michigan and PSU game is cancelled. I'm really only picking on the B1G because they are the conference with zero wiggle room and the most crazy 21 day break for positives. However, as we see with ND it can happen to anyone and if ND didn't have a bye next week, it would have been 2 games canceled for them. If this was in the B1G, thats 3 games right there. The committees life is gonna be difficult. I'm not just talking about the potential undefeated G5 team like UCF or cincy who will have a pretty good resume, but you may have a one or 2 loss SEC team being quite pissed being left out for a 5-0 OSU who played potentially nobody if their marquee matchups are canceled. Gotta expand to 8.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2020 08:49 PM by otown.)
09-22-2020 08:48 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-22-2020 08:48 PM)otown Wrote:  
(09-22-2020 06:38 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I agree that is highly likely. I will just take what we can get from them, and anyone else playing.

I know you do not like talking about it, but what if you have OSU playing 5 games, undefeated against Maryland, Rutgers etc and their Michigan and PSU game is cancelled. I'm really only picking on the B1G because they are the conference with zero wiggle room and the most crazy 21 day break for positives. However, as we see with ND it can happen to anyone and if ND didn't have a bye next week, it would have been 2 games canceled for them. If this was in the B1G, thats 3 games right there. The committees life is gonna be difficult. I'm not just talking about the potential undefeated G5 team like UCF or cincy who will have a pretty good resume, but you may have a one or 2 loss SEC team being quite pissed being left out for a 5-0 OSU who played potentially nobody if their marquee matchups are canceled. Gotta expand to 8.

I don't mind talking about it, and I have no problem with you focusing on the B1G (and maybe the PAC too if they end up joining the party) as they do indeed have the least margin for error and are likely to end up playing the fewest games. The reality is covid is going to affect games every week, and whereas right now teams like ND and Wake Forest can still talk the language of "postpone", very soon it will be the case that games will be canceled, period as the slack and leeway in all schedules will soon be all squeezed out. And the B1G is in the most perilous situation.

Nevertheless, given that Ohio State is unanimously regarded as a top-3 team, if they win all their games, even if it is just 5 or 6 and against weaker B1G foes, I expect them to make the playoffs over even a runner-up SEC team that is 9-1. It's just the way it is going to be and frankly I am OK with that. The SEC champ will get in and the 9-1 runner-up, well they had their chance and blew it.

BTW, I think that with the B1G coming back, the long-shot chances of a G5 in the CFP went from slim to none. There just isn't going to be any space for a G5 in the CFP because if you are saying a G5 is going to be in the CFP you are saying they get in over a P5 champ. IMO that just isn't happening.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2020 10:00 PM by quo vadis.)
09-22-2020 09:56 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF

This.
09-23-2020 04:13 AM
otown Offline
All American

(09-22-2020 09:56 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-22-2020 07:38 PM)bullet Wrote:  Its not ending. But there will continue to be cancellations.

I don't mind talking about it, and I have no problem with you focusing on the B1G (and maybe the PAC too if they end up joining the party) as they do indeed have the least margin for error and are likely to end up playing the fewest games. The reality is covid is going to affect games every week, and whereas right now teams like ND and Wake Forest can still talk the language of "postpone", very soon it will be the case that games will be canceled, period as the slack and leeway in all schedules will soon be all squeezed out. And the B1G is in the most perilous situation.

Nevertheless, given that Ohio State is unanimously regarded as a top-3 team, if they win all their games, even if it is just 5 or 6 and against weaker B1G foes, I expect them to make the playoffs over even a runner-up SEC team that is 9-1. It's just the way it is going to be and frankly I am OK with that. The SEC champ will get in and the 9-1 runner-up, well they had their chance and blew it.

BTW, I think that with the B1G coming back, the long-shot chances of a G5 in the CFP went from slim to none. There just isn't going to be any space for a G5 in the CFP because if you are saying a G5 is going to be in the CFP you are saying they get in over a P5 champ. IMO that just isn't happening.

If there are a bunch of 1 or 2 loss SEC teams not going to the playoffs due to a 5 or 6 win OSU that played powderpuffs....... you can be damn sure I will raise hell as well as most other people. How can you be ok with that?
09-23-2020 05:44 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-23-2020 05:44 AM)otown Wrote:  
(09-22-2020 07:49 PM)otown Wrote:  Its gonna make the committees life a living hell. There are very few marquee matchups this year. Erase a few of them and then the SOS of these resumes are gonna be piss poor. Honestly, I do not see how you can place just 4 teams in the playoffs when you potentially will have some big name teams with potentially zero top 25 wins and only 5 to 6 games under their belt. I think this is the year that there is a hasty expansion if games continue to get plucked off. We only just started.

If there are a bunch of 1 or 2 loss SEC teams not going to the playoffs due to a 5 or 6 win OSU that played powderpuffs....... you can be damn sure I will raise hell as well as most other people. How can you be ok with that?

I don't doubt that many will raise hell. People always raise hell when they are left out, but IMO most will be OK with it. A playoffs that lacks an unbeaten Ohio State, even a 6-0 Ohio State, just won't be viewed as legit without them.
09-23-2020 07:25 AM
Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, UF
(09-23-2020 07:25 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-22-2020 08:03 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I don't think the committee's life is going to be made much more difficult. Bottom line is if teams like Clemson, Alabama (or LSU, or Georgia, or Florida), Ohio State and Oklahoma win their games, no matter how many they play, they will make the playoffs. If they lose, then someone else will get their positions.

I don't doubt that many will raise hell. People always raise hell when they are left out, but IMO most will be OK with it. A playoffs that lacks an unbeaten Ohio State, even a 6-0 Ohio State, just won't be viewed as legit without them.

The committee could just claim that they're postponing Ohio State's playoffs until next year.
09-23-2020 07:45 AM
otown Offline
All American

(09-22-2020 08:03 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I don't think the committee's life is going to be made much more difficult. Bottom line is if teams like Clemson, Alabama (or LSU, or Georgia, or Florida), Ohio State and Oklahoma win their games, no matter how many they play, they will make the playoffs. If they lose, then someone else will get their positions.

Because at that point, why have any season if one is going to be annoited just because of their school name? There was no body of work and they simply are being given a playoff spot due to name recognition and preseason hype. How many times have we seen teams hyped in the preseason and they just can't close the deal during the regular season. That is completely unfair. If a team is allowed to get in simply because of hype and they played a few powderpuffs, then this seasons playoffs are a sham. Hell, the consistent argument about keeping undefeated G5s out of the playoffs is the knock on their schedule. A 5 or 6 win OSU with canceled games against PSU and Michigan would not be playoff material.

Only way out of this is to expand to 8 or more this year.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020 08:18 AM by otown.)
09-23-2020 08:18 AM
Special Teams

(09-23-2020 08:18 AM)otown Wrote:  
(09-22-2020 08:48 PM)otown Wrote:  I know you do not like talking about it, but what if you have OSU playing 5 games, undefeated against Maryland, Rutgers etc and their Michigan and PSU game is cancelled. I'm really only picking on the B1G because they are the conference with zero wiggle room and the most crazy 21 day break for positives. However, as we see with ND it can happen to anyone and if ND didn't have a bye next week, it would have been 2 games canceled for them. If this was in the B1G, thats 3 games right there. The committees life is gonna be difficult. I'm not just talking about the potential undefeated G5 team like UCF or cincy who will have a pretty good resume, but you may have a one or 2 loss SEC team being quite pissed being left out for a 5-0 OSU who played potentially nobody if their marquee matchups are canceled. Gotta expand to 8.

Because at that point, why have any season if one is going to be annoited just because of their school name? There was no body of work and they simply are being given a playoff spot due to name recognition and preseason hype. How many times have we seen teams hyped in the preseason and they just can't close the deal during the regular season. That is completely unfair. If a team is allowed to get in simply because of hype and they played a few powderpuffs, then this seasons playoffs are a sham. Hell, the consistent argument about keeping undefeated G5s out of the playoffs is the knock on their schedule. A 5 or 6 win OSU with canceled games against PSU and Michigan would not be playoff material.

Agreed. Add to it that the Big 10 hasn't won a playoff game since Ohio State won the first playoff, why should room be made for a 5-0 team with 5 creampuffs as though they'll contribute anything more than a G5?
09-23-2020 09:10 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-22-2020 08:48 PM)otown Wrote:  I know you do not like talking about it, but what if you have OSU playing 5 games, undefeated against Maryland, Rutgers etc and their Michigan and PSU game is cancelled. I'm really only picking on the B1G because they are the conference with zero wiggle room and the most crazy 21 day break for positives. However, as we see with ND it can happen to anyone and if ND didn't have a bye next week, it would have been 2 games canceled for them. If this was in the B1G, thats 3 games right there. The committees life is gonna be difficult. I'm not just talking about the potential undefeated G5 team like UCF or cincy who will have a pretty good resume, but you may have a one or 2 loss SEC team being quite pissed being left out for a 5-0 OSU who played potentially nobody if their marquee matchups are canceled. Gotta expand to 8.

I agree that a six-game season is far from ideal. But this isn't an ideal year by any stretch. We're all kind of muddling through and trying to make the best of it.

I do know that if I was on the CFP, I would likely vote for a 6-0 B1G champ Ohio State over a 9-1 SEC team (that wasn't conference champ). That's just my view but others can have different views which is why there is a committee.

If the playoffs were expanded to eight, however, it would IMO not make any sense to put a straight-jacket on it by guaranteeing anybody (conference champs, etc.) a spot. Given the variability of the seasons, it would make sense to have maximum flexibility in choosing those 8 teams.
09-23-2020 10:02 AM
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
(09-23-2020 09:10 AM)Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Wrote:  
(09-22-2020 09:56 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I don't mind talking about it, and I have no problem with you focusing on the B1G (and maybe the PAC too if they end up joining the party) as they do indeed have the least margin for error and are likely to end up playing the fewest games. The reality is covid is going to affect games every week, and whereas right now teams like ND and Wake Forest can still talk the language of "postpone", very soon it will be the case that games will be canceled, period as the slack and leeway in all schedules will soon be all squeezed out. And the B1G is in the most perilous situation.

Agreed. Add to it that the Big 10 hasn't won a playoff game since Ohio State won the first playoff, why should room be made for a 5-0 team with 5 creampuffs as though they'll contribute anything more than a G5?
I agree with your statement of a 5-0 Big Ten school being left out, IF nothing crazy happens to other conferences and that truly is all the games the BIG can play.

And to your point of not winning a game since Ohio State? Why does the Big 12 and Oklahoma always get a pass with some of the southern folks? At least Ohio State won it all, right? I'm sure every school in the Big 12, Pac, SEC not named Alabama or LSU, ACC not named Clemson and any "G5" school would take Ohio States CFP resume in a second. Being beat by Clemson does not bother me as much as some may think, they are fu**ing unbelievable right now.

And to the crazies out there saying Ohio State would have been boat-raced by TCU in 2014? Please! Just like they should have been boat-raced by Oregon, right? You know, the team that destroyed every team it played, including Florida State that year. Oregon didn't look too spectacular against that 2014 Ohio State defense.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020 12:51 PM by cubucks.)
09-23-2020 10:43 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

Scrap the playoffs in this crazy Covid season. It is an unwieldy beast this year.

Have only the bowls and the polls like the old days.

Back to the future !!!
09-23-2020 10:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(09-23-2020 10:43 AM)cubucks Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 05:44 AM)otown Wrote:  If there are a bunch of 1 or 2 loss SEC teams not going to the playoffs due to a 5 or 6 win OSU that played powderpuffs....... you can be damn sure I will raise hell as well as most other people. How can you be ok with that?

I agree with your statement of a 5-0 Big Ten school being left out, IF nothing crazy happens to other conferences and that truly is all the games the BIG can play.

And to your point of not winning a game since Ohio State? Why does the Big 12 and Oklahoma always get a pass with the southern folks? At least Ohio State won it all, right? I'm sure every school in the Big 12, Pac, SEC not named Alabama or LSU, ACC not named Clemson and any "G5" school would take Ohio States CFP resume in a second. Being beat by Clemson does not bother me as much as some may think, they are fu**ing unbelievable right now.

And to the crazies out there saying Ohio State would have been boat-raced by TCU in 2014? Please! Just like they should have been boat-raced by Oregon, right? You know, the team that destroyed every team it played, including Florida State that year. Oregon didn't look too spectacular against that 2014 Ohio State defense.

I think everyone knows that I am not the biggest Big Ten or Ohio State fan around, but I agree with your bolded statement completely here.

Other than Alabama and Clemson, fans of any school that diss OSU's CFP resume are just jealous.

Almost every fan of every school in America would love their team to have the successful track record of Ohio State.

And yes, as a fan of a team who lost to Clemson in the playoffs and may again on November 7th, there is no shame in losing to that steamroller.
09-23-2020 10:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Special Teams

(09-23-2020 10:56 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 10:43 AM)cubucks Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 07:25 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I don't doubt that many will raise hell. People always raise hell when they are left out, but IMO most will be OK with it. A playoffs that lacks an unbeaten Ohio State, even a 6-0 Ohio State, just won't be viewed as legit without them.

And to your point of not winning a game since Ohio State? Why does the Big 12 and Oklahoma always get a pass with the southern folks? At least Ohio State won it all, right? I'm sure every school in the Big 12, Pac, SEC not named Alabama or LSU, ACC not named Clemson and any "G5" school would take Ohio States CFP resume in a second. Being beat by Clemson does not bother me as much as some may think, they are fu**ing unbelievable right now.

I think everyone knows that I am not the biggest Big Ten or Ohio State fan around, but I agree with your bolded statement completely here.

Other than Alabama and Clemson, fans of any school that diss OSU's CFP resume are just jealous.

Almost every fan of every school in America would love their team to have the successful track record of Ohio State.

And yes, as a fan of a team who lost to Clemson in the playoffs and may again on November 7th, there is no shame in losing to that steamroller.

My point in all of this is why should a team that plays 5 easy games (based upon prior posts on this thread & others) get in over a G5 who goes undefeated in 10 games?

The whole thing that gets held against G5s is their schedule, so why should a team from a conference that's winless since the first playoff get in over them for going undefeated in 5 easy games? Seems to me that in that case, an undefeated G5 who has 10 wins would absolutely have a case for being put in over any undefeated P5 who only plays 5 games against the easiest teams in their conference. That includes ANY of the P5s if that were to happen.
09-23-2020 11:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.