Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

State Restrictions in Pac 12 States Lifted
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
State Restrictions in Pac 12 States Lifted
The P12 has no more external excuses not to play.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020 07:40 AM by orangefan.)
09-17-2020 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: State Restrictions in Pac 12 States Lifted
(09-17-2020 07:38 AM)orangefan Wrote:  The P12 has no more external excuses not to play.

I don't think the PAC is looking for excuses not to play. Now that the the B1G has abandoned them they are rushing around looking for ways to play as soon as possible while trying to save face about the reasoning.

The only issue is "can they find a way to start by the last week of October" as that is basically the drop-dead time for being able to considered for the CFP.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020 07:54 AM by quo vadis.)
09-17-2020 07:53 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I got a feeling the CFP is going to get pushed back more than it is now, which is fine as long as it means we earn more money.
09-17-2020 08:14 AM
chidave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Wouldn't mind seeing it expanded to eight was well, fairest way to do it in a season with no cross conference match-ups.
09-17-2020 08:32 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-17-2020 08:32 AM)chidave Wrote:  Wouldn't mind seeing it expanded to eight was well, fairest way to do it in a season with no cross conference match-ups.

Nah, with the B1G back in play, the setup looks pretty clear:

1) If all four P champs are unbeaten, well there's your playoffs.

2) If a P champ has a loss, or if unbeaten but only play 6-7 games, they get compared to 1-loss teams from other P conferences.

3) If there are only three P5 teams with one loss or fewer, than compare the best two-loss P5 to an unbeaten G5 team.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020 08:43 AM by quo vadis.)
09-17-2020 08:41 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Let's say enough of the parties involved see some merit in a "temporary" expansion of the playoffs due to COVID disruptions. The bowl season is already impacted by the later than usual CFP selection date. Maybe we could go to an eight team playoff in which the six highest ranked conference champions are AQ. First round games played on the home field of the four highest ranked champs.

These could be played on or around January 1, which is a Friday this year. Then a week between rounds, with semis and finals incorporating NY6 bowl sites. Those sites could also host their non-CFP NY6 bowls around New Year's between December 31 and January 2, since they won't have a scheduling conflict. For this one year only, the season is extended by a week for the semifinalists and finalists compared with prior years.

The money split would have to be worked out to make sure the P5 don't get to hog whatever extra media money there is for this exceptional year.
09-17-2020 08:50 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-17-2020 08:50 AM)ken d Wrote:  Let's say enough of the parties involved see some merit in a "temporary" expansion of the playoffs due to COVID disruptions. The bowl season is already impacted by the later than usual CFP selection date. Maybe we could go to an eight team playoff in which the six highest ranked conference champions are AQ. First round games played on the home field of the four highest ranked champs.

These could be played on or around January 1, which is a Friday this year. Then a week between rounds, with semis and finals incorporating NY6 bowl sites. Those sites could also host their non-CFP NY6 bowls around New Year's between December 31 and January 2, since they won't have a scheduling conflict. For this one year only, the season is extended by a week for the semifinalists and finalists compared with prior years.

The money split would have to be worked out to make sure the P5 don't get to hog whatever extra media money there is for this exceptional year.

LOL ... this proposal seems like it could have been generated by Aresco's office, as the biggest beneficiary would likely be the AAC, which almost surely would put a team in these playoffs.

What benefit there is for anyone else is unclear, though, especially the last line about the P5 not hogging any extra media money - the P5 hog the CFP money anyway, and rightly so, as it is interest in their teams that largely generates that money.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020 08:54 AM by quo vadis.)
09-17-2020 08:54 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2020 08:54 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  LOL ... this proposal seems like it could have been generated by Aresco's office, as the biggest beneficiary would likely be the AAC, which almost surely would put a team in these playoffs.

Unless App State goes undefeated.
09-17-2020 09:39 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2020 08:54 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-17-2020 08:50 AM)ken d Wrote:  Let's say enough of the parties involved see some merit in a "temporary" expansion of the playoffs due to COVID disruptions. The bowl season is already impacted by the later than usual CFP selection date. Maybe we could go to an eight team playoff in which the six highest ranked conference champions are AQ. First round games played on the home field of the four highest ranked champs.

LOL ... this proposal seems like it could have been generated by Aresco's office, as the biggest beneficiary would likely be the AAC, which almost surely would put a team in these playoffs.

What benefit there is for anyone else is unclear, though, especially the last line about the P5 not hogging any extra media money - the P5 hog the CFP money anyway, and rightly so, as it is interest in their teams that largely generates that money.

I would think the beneficiary would be ESPN. This year, they would be the camel's nose and the CFP is the tent.
09-17-2020 09:43 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-17-2020 07:53 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-17-2020 07:38 AM)orangefan Wrote:  The P12 has no more external excuses not to play.

I don't think the PAC is looking for excuses not to play. Now that the the B1G has abandoned them they are rushing around looking for ways to play as soon as possible while trying to save face about the reasoning.

The only issue is "can they find a way to start by the last week of October" as that is basically the drop-dead time for being able to considered for the CFP.

The Big 12, SEC and ACC were going to get all of the CFP money. So each would go from 60 million or so to 100 million. Big 10 and Pac 12 0. Think they are desperately trying to get their piece.
09-17-2020 09:45 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-17-2020 08:32 AM)chidave Wrote:  Wouldn't mind seeing it expanded to eight was well, fairest way to do it in a season with no cross conference match-ups.

This is not a season to expand it. Too much of a chance of cancellations.
09-17-2020 09:46 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU

https://pac-12.com/article/2020/09/03/pa...ive-quidel

The Pac-12 announced a testing agreement two weeks ago that would allow for daily testing at all campuses. The Big Ten, in their announcement, indicated that daily testing was the key to starting up football. The NFL is playing because of daily testing and strict protocols, at a cost of $75 million.

You can play football if you can test daily and you have the resources to pay for the testing. This was never about "external issues." This was always about decreasing the risk of catching and spreading the infection. The Big Ten and the Pac-12 have been communicating, so the Pac-12 was not abandoned. It was just about timing and getting through the air quality issues caused by the fires. Once the medical protocols are in place, they just need to come up with a revised schedule and they should be good to go in late October.
09-17-2020 09:55 AM
3BNole Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Florida State
I can’t wait for DavidSt to reply to this news. He’s going to flip out from his underground bunker.
09-17-2020 09:55 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-17-2020 09:55 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

The Pac-12 announced a testing agreement two weeks ago that would allow for daily testing at all campuses. The Big Ten, in their announcement, indicated that daily testing was the key to starting up football. The NFL is playing because of daily testing and strict protocols, at a cost of $75 million.

You can play football if you can test daily and you have the resources to pay for the testing. This was never about "external issues." This was always about decreasing the risk of catching and spreading the infection. The Big Ten and the Pac-12 have been communicating, so the Pac-12 was not abandoned. It was just about timing and getting through the air quality issues caused by the fires. Once the medical protocols are in place, they just need to come up with a revised schedule and they should be good to go in late October.

The B1G and PAC were communicating, but obviously not coordinating, or else they would have made a joint announcement. So i think my "abandonment" term is accurate. The B1G is going ahead regardless of what the PAC decides.

And of course it's about external issues, because the PAC doesn't participate in football in a vacuum. What the other P conferences do surely matters.
09-17-2020 10:18 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(09-17-2020 10:18 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

The B1G and PAC were communicating, but obviously not coordinating, or else they would have made a joint announcement. So i think my "abandonment" term is accurate. The B1G is going ahead regardless of what the PAC decides.

And of course it's about external issues, because the PAC doesn't participate in football in a vacuum. What the other P conferences do surely matters.

LOL! I think your definition of abandonment is different than mine. Obviously, the two conferences are in different states with different requirements. The west coast has the worst air quality in the world at the moment due to the fires, so that has not helped. Larry Scott did indicate months ago that he did not want the Pac-12 sitting out while everyone else was playing. That makes sense, especially for recruiting in all sports. The Pac-12 was always coming back, it was just a question of when. The testing agreement reached two weeks ago with Quidel Corporation just made it possible for that to happen in October.
09-17-2020 11:09 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(09-17-2020 09:55 AM)3BNole Wrote:  I can’t wait for DavidSt to reply to this news. He’s going to flip out from his underground bunker.

Heard the bunker imploded when the B-10 and PAC-12 news reached it. Epic Mind Blown Epic Rage 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
09-17-2020 11:33 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(09-17-2020 09:55 AM)3BNole Wrote:  I can’t wait for DavidSt to reply to this news. He’s going to flip out from his underground bunker.

Meanwhile, Texas is opening to 75% capacity except in the valley, Laredo and Victoria starting 9/21.
Don’t think it applies to stadium capacity, but I’m sure it’ll be more than what it was before the season started.
09-17-2020 12:31 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-17-2020 11:09 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(09-17-2020 10:18 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

LOL! I think your definition of abandonment is different than mine. Obviously, the two conferences are in different states with different requirements. The west coast has the worst air quality in the world at the moment due to the fires, so that has not helped. Larry Scott did indicate months ago that he did not want the Pac-12 sitting out while everyone else was playing. That makes sense, especially for recruiting in all sports. The Pac-12 was always coming back, it was just a question of when. The testing agreement reached two weeks ago with Quidel Corporation just made it possible for that to happen in October.

I will give the PAC and Larry Scott credit for one thing - they were at least unified in the decision to cancel, thus avoided the epic shite-show that enveloped the B1G. Maybe the one good thing Scott has managed to pull off.

But the B1G has been the PAC's daddy in all of this. In July, the PAC announced *after the B1G* that it would begin football on September 26. Then on August 11 the PAC announced *after the B1G* that it was canceling fall football. And now, after the B1G says it is coming back in late October, suddenly we get a flurry of messages from the PAC indicating they are doing their darndest to do the same or something similar.

So the IMO the PAC has been a follower of the B1G here, never has been acting strictly its own time-line, doing only what it wants to do based on its own medical advice, etc., to the contrary it has been following the B1G leader.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2020 08:18 AM by quo vadis.)
09-18-2020 08:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.