Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The FCS is invisible
Bookmark and Share
Goronic Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
The FCS is invisible
App State was in the FCS just a few years ago. When we were in the Southern Conference I kept up with the FCS conferences, rankings, etc. I also kept one eye on the G5 and enjoyed P5 like everyone else.

After being in the FBS I don't have a clue who is good in FCS - or rankings - at ALL. No idea. I don't even know who won the SoCon last year or the year before...

I can see why App State wasn't all that visible to the G5 - let alone the P5. Do you guys that moved up recently have the same feeling? Do you keep up with the FCS at all?

I don't...and we just got to the FBS. I would think if you have been the FBS for a long time - or a P5 school - you wouldn't give 2 ***** about the FCS or what they are doing.
09-16-2020 11:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
RE: The FCS is invisible
Quite frankly, who cares about FCS? I didnt even follow Georgia State in FCS. Honestly, if Georgia State decided to stay in FCS, I wouldn't have bothered giving my time and money to the football program.
09-17-2020 12:28 AM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
I have a similar sentiment to the App poster above. I used to follow FCS pretty regularly while GS was in it. Now I’m pretty disconnected. I assume NDSU is the at the top every year and it’s rarely wrong.
09-17-2020 12:45 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I never watch it, but I do glance at SoCon standings and national rankings once a month or so. The SoCon is a little sad now. The league didn't seem to miss a beat when Marshall left, but losing Ga. Southern and App State has been devastating. Furman is a shell of its former self.

Basically all you need to know is North Dakota State absolutely dominates and JMU is a solid second. Everyone else is chasing after the wind.
09-17-2020 06:24 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
I haven’t so much as even checked an FCS score since we moved up.

I couldn’t possibly care less about them if I tried. I only watched FCS football for one reason, and that reason was Coastal.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020 06:28 AM by CoastalAlum2011.)
09-17-2020 06:28 AM
TrueBlueDrew Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
You could give me a list of D1 schools and I would be able to tell you who was FBS and who was FCS, but I only really know of the FCS teams that we either used to play or have hosted recently. I realized how little appeal there is to still follow SoCon teams after GS and App left. Like some have said above, I couldn't even tell you who has won the conference the last 5 years without googling it.
09-17-2020 07:05 AM
Advertisement

AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

(09-17-2020 06:24 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  I never watch it, but I do glance at SoCon standings and national rankings once a month or so. The SoCon is a little sad now. The league didn't seem to miss a beat when Marshall left, but losing Ga. Southern and App State has been devastating. Furman is a shell of its former self.

Basically all you need to know is North Dakota State absolutely dominates and JMU is a solid second. Everyone else is chasing after the wind.

I think the above post about sums it up.

I rarely glance at the goings on at the FCS level, but from my limited looks at standings and such here is my tske.

Pretty much every decently supported FCS squad is now in the G5, and FCS has turned into a contest between two teams that should be FBS in NDSU and JMU, dominating a bunch underfunded teams from small private colleges and small regional state teachers schools. Surprisingly, the Ohio Valley has become one of the dominate leagues along with the MVC and Big Sky (and maybe the Southland). The CAA (for unknown reasons) and SoCon (for obvious reasons) are a shell of their former selves.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020 07:13 AM by AppfanInCAAland.)
09-17-2020 07:11 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(09-17-2020 12:28 AM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  Quite frankly, who cares about FCS? I didnt even follow Georgia State in FCS. Honestly, if Georgia State decided to stay in FCS, I wouldn't have bothered giving my time and money to the football program.
...and this is why many of us in 2009, even before we had played a snap, were saying g we had to go FBS.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
09-17-2020 07:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App
(09-17-2020 07:11 AM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  
(09-17-2020 06:24 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  I never watch it, but I do glance at SoCon standings and national rankings once a month or so. The SoCon is a little sad now. The league didn't seem to miss a beat when Marshall left, but losing Ga. Southern and App State has been devastating. Furman is a shell of its former self.

I rarely glance at the goings on at the FCS level, but from my limited looks at standings and such here is my tske.

Pretty much every decently supported FCS squad is now in the G5, and FCS has turned into a contest between two teams that should be FBS in NDSU and JMU, dominating a bunch underfunded teams from small private colleges and small regional state teachers schools. Surprisingly, the Ohio Valley has become one of the dominate leagues along with the MVC and Big Sky (and maybe the Southland). The CAA (for unknown reasons) and SoCon (for obvious reasons) are a shell of their former selves.

Honestly, NDSU has no business remaining FCS. they could immediately step in and compete in all G5 conferences, without missing much of a beat. In a couple of years, they'll have two starting QBs in the NFL. How many FBS schools can even claim that? I watched the championship last season, and was highly impressed. I don't pay attention to the league as a whole anymore, but i'll still watch the championship. Plus, the playoffs are 1000x better than our crappy bowl system.
09-17-2020 07:51 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(09-16-2020 11:59 PM)Goronic Wrote:  App State was in the FCS just a few years ago. When we were in the Southern Conference I kept up with the FCS conferences, rankings, etc. I also kept one eye on the G5 and enjoyed P5 like everyone else.

After being in the FBS I don't have a clue who is good in FCS - or rankings - at ALL. No idea. I don't even know who won the SoCon last year or the year before...

I can see why App State wasn't all that visible to the G5 - let alone the P5. Do you guys that moved up recently have the same feeling? Do you keep up with the FCS at all?

I don't...and we just got to the FBS. I would think if you have been the FBS for a long time - or a P5 school - you wouldn't give 2 ***** about the FCS or what they are doing.

When Troy moved to up to FBS in 2001 as an Independent, I stopped keeping up with 1AA football. Troy was in the Southland Conference... and I couldn't tell you who has won the Southland since Troy left.
09-17-2020 07:52 AM
ChiefGSU275 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS EAGLES!
(09-17-2020 07:38 AM)panama Wrote:  
(09-17-2020 12:28 AM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  Quite frankly, who cares about FCS? I didnt even follow Georgia State in FCS. Honestly, if Georgia State decided to stay in FCS, I wouldn't have bothered giving my time and money to the football program.
...and this is why many of us in 2009, even before we had played a snap, were saying g we had to go FBS.

KSU by all accounts has had a way more successful start (record-wise) than you guys did and look to be FCS for the foreseeable future. Is there any coverage for their team in Atlanta? (I'm in Southeast GA, we never hear anything about them or their team)
09-17-2020 07:53 AM
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
When all the starry-eyed nostalgists on GSUfans start talking about how good we had it in the FCS, I have to remind them that the D1-AA they long for no longer exists. The teams we were so proud to have beaten back when we were winning national titles in the 80's and 90's have either all moved up to the G5 (Arkansas State, Marshall, UCF, etc.) or have severely relaxed their commitment to competitive athletics (Furman, Youngstown St). There was nothing left for us in that subdivision, and even though we were one of the last to get the wake up call to move on, I'm glad we did when we did.
09-17-2020 07:57 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(09-17-2020 07:51 AM)ballantyneapp Wrote:  Honestly, NDSU has no business remaining FCS. they could immediately step in and compete in all G5 conferences, without missing much of a beat. In a couple of years, they'll have two starting QBs in the NFL. How many FBS schools can even claim that? I watched the championship last season, and was highly impressed. I don't pay attention to the league as a whole anymore, but i'll still watch the championship. Plus, the playoffs are 1000x better than our crappy bowl system.

Where are they going to go? MWC isn't going to invite them because the MWC doesn't want to risk some type of stigma with bringing in an FCS team.

The only way NDSU goes FBS is if a new western conference forms... which is going to happen at some point.
09-17-2020 07:58 AM
Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
Glad we have y’all, but what about the fans of the originally Sunbelt? How disconnected they are from D-IAA, media, newspaper, fans of D-IA just don’t follow FCS. I am just glad we got the best of what FCS had to offer ! Talking about App St, GS, and Troy. Don’t take offense CCU, USA, GSU y’all started football so yall can try to move up to D-IA.

Us IA boys got to keep up with IAA boys. Probably why we are so good as a conference now.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020 08:04 AM by Bigtom12.)
09-17-2020 08:00 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(09-17-2020 07:51 AM)ballantyneapp Wrote:  
(09-17-2020 07:11 AM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  

Honestly, NDSU has no business remaining FCS. they could immediately step in and compete in all G5 conferences, without missing much of a beat. In a couple of years, they'll have two starting QBs in the NFL. How many FBS schools can even claim that? I watched the championship last season, and was highly impressed. I don't pay attention to the league as a whole anymore, but i'll still watch the championship. Plus, the playoffs are 1000x better than our crappy bowl system.
All of this is conditional. NDSU is in a conference and level where they are surrounded by regional rivals. They are not hurting attendance wise being in FCS. If they moved up what conference would it be in? Who would be their closest rivals? I doubt they would want to give up playing the schools in the Dakotas and the other surrounding states.

09-17-2020 08:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

(09-17-2020 07:53 AM)ChiefGSU275 Wrote:  
(09-17-2020 07:38 AM)panama Wrote:  

KSU by all accounts has had a way more successful start (record-wise) than you guys did and look to be FCS for the foreseeable future. Is there any coverage for their team in Atlanta? (I'm in Southeast GA, we never hear anything about them or their team)
Negligible coverage. If they reach the FCS playoffs maybe local media take notice but that's really it.

09-17-2020 08:04 AM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Your opinion probably depends on how recently you followed your team while in FCS. The FCS was once a fun league. And I don't mean because we were in it, I would watch the playoffs even if we weren't in it or got eliminated. Today it's so watered down and top heavy that it's just boring.

For perspective, the head coach of the Kansas State team Ark State just beat was 69-6 at NDSU. That's a higher winning percentage than Nick Saban at Alabama (who is considered by some to be the best coach ever), a higher win percentage than Jim Tressel had at Youngstown State and a higher win percentage than Georgia Southern and App State together if you only count games in the 9 combined national championship seasons.

It just isn't what it used to be.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020 08:07 AM by EigenEagle.)
09-17-2020 08:06 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(09-17-2020 08:00 AM)Bigtom12 Wrote:  Glad we have y’all, but what about the fans of the originally Sunbelt? How disconnected they are from D-IAA, media, newspaper, fans of D-IA just don’t follow FCS. I am just glad we got the best of what FCS had to offer ! Talking about App St, GS, and Troy. Don’t take offense CCU, USA, GSU y’all started football so yall can try to move up to D-IA.

Us IA boys got to keep up with IAA boys. Probably why we are so good as a conference now.
Bill Curry tells the story that when he came down from the podium at the press conference where we announced football in 2008, the first fan he shook hands with said "So when do we play Georgia?". That's just reality. President Becker and the Foundation knew from day one that this experiment only works in FBS.

09-17-2020 08:08 AM
Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
Let’s take NDSU, and James Madison I think we be set as a league
09-17-2020 08:09 AM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

The FCS is invisible
There’s a massive power vacuum in the FCS and particularly the SOCON. But there’s no money for anyone else to step up and fill that role. UT Chattanooga (and to a lesser extent Western Carolina) as the public institutions should be running that league. But they don’t have any money and they’re in the shadow of Big Orange. Outside of that they’re a league of private schools.

That’s exactly what John Iamarino wanted when he back filled. He could’ve made a serious play for Coastal and probably would’ve gotten them. Obviously we know what happened. He could’ve gone after Kennesaw State and Jacksonville State selling them SOCON heritage and prestige. But he didn’t. He was content with a sleepy league of private schools. He gutted that conference and then retired.
09-17-2020 08:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.