Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting Off the Court MAC Basketball News
Bookmark and Share
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Interesting Off the Court MAC Basketball News
Some interesting recent off the court news involving the WMU and Buffalo Basketball Programs. If you remember, WMU Guard Michael Flowers put his name into the transfer portal after long time coach Steve Hawkins was fired after the season ended in March. Flowers ultimately transferred to South Alabama where he petitioned the NCAA for immediate eligibility. The NCAA just announced it has denied Flowers petition and he will have to sit out the upcoming season. That did not sit well with Flowers who last week posted a tweet accusing Western Michigan’s athletic department of “inconsistent” and “unprofessional “ communication during his transfer process and that his former school ultimately caused his immediate eligibility waiver to be denied by the NCAA. The WMU Athletic Department immediately denied the accusations but this is not a good look for first year Head Coach Clayton Bates who is trying to rebuild a struggling program.

Also at Buffalo, Bulls Basketball player Malik Zachery was charged last Friday with assault and weapons possession after allegedly stabbing a Canisius basketball player during an off-campus pickup scrimmage last week. Zachery, a JUCO transfer who signed with the Bulls out of Florida's Chipola College earlier this year, is accused of stabbing the Canisius player in the leg during a pick up game between Buffalo and Canisius Basketball players at a Buffalo area church. To no one’s surprise, Zachary has been suspended indefinitely by Buffalo.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2020 01:58 PM by Basketball Jones.)
09-15-2020 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Interesting Off the Court MAC Basketball News
yeah, read those things too. new meaning to pass and cut. zachery was a big recruit for them, had a lot of offers and was expected to share the pg role w segu. upstate NY kid. it just makes me wonder where was the knife. was it in his shoe? does he carry a blade in his gum bag for quick access? razor blade under the tongue? it's not like it's easy to stab a basketball player in his leg. there had to be some element of surprise.

as for flowers and WMU, glanced at their board and no one was feeling sorry for flowers. he had a kinda clumsy transfer out but WMU has lost a lot of top players to transfers in recent years and never got in their way out the door, so it doesn't fit the profile. as far as the new coach bates. he was sort of a backup candidate who largely got the job on a short 2 year contract due to covid outbreak. however, he has had an excellent start to recruiting. signed several good players late for 2020 season and recently signed nice looking sf recruit owen lobsinger who had come down to WMU and UT. i think bates will be ok. situation reminds me a bit of Hawai'i and benjy taylor who was an asst coach (previously been a HC at that terrible chicago st program) who got promoted after ncaa investigation forced out the HC and much of the staff, and took a program in turmoil to the conf final and just missed the tourney w 22 wins. sometimes, those unexpected hires with few expectations do well.
09-15-2020 10:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.