Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Daily Press No More
Bookmark and Share
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: William & Mary
Daily Press No More
Just read that the DPs parent company Tribune is shuttering the Daily Press newsroom. Big part in covering sports for the tidewater region for decades. Of course, they had forgotten about the Tribe years ago. Still a shame, but a sign of the times.
09-15-2020 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Daily Press No More
Does that also apply to the Virginia Gazette then?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
09-15-2020 11:01 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
RE: Daily Press No More
The newsroom is closing, but not sure this means the paper is shutting down.
09-15-2020 12:40 PM
Tribe2011 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: W&M
That's terrible.
09-15-2020 02:06 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Daily Press No More
Is there a market for a regional newspaper in the tidewater area? I don't know if it's the case here, but many newspapers and media companies have been the victims of vulture capitalists. It's possible that a newspaper could survive or even be profitable on its own, but not if saddled with unrelated debt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
09-15-2020 02:13 PM
Advertisement

WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
I believe that I read awhile back that the Virginian Pilot has moved its operations to the Peninsula. The two papers have been sharing the same sports writers for awhile now and I am guessing that the same content is pretty much appearing in both papers. I think that points to there only being one paper somewhere down the road that services both sides of the water. The Pilot goes to press so early now that there is hardly any content from night games.
09-15-2020 02:46 PM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

The Daily Press sports section is devoid of local coverage for W&M and has been since the Virginian Pilot rook control. Everything revolves around ODU
with printing of UVA and VPI stories that come straight from the Sports Info Dept.
09-15-2020 03:25 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Print newspapers are dead. VP and DP essentially began running the same stories and therefore were the same paper. DP folding is not news.

Small, local and online-only publications like WYdaily take the leftovers. Theyre a bit more blog-like, but they get the job done more or less.
09-15-2020 03:26 PM
Tribal Offline

(09-15-2020 03:26 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Print newspapers are dead. VP and DP essentially began running the same stories and therefore were the same paper. DP folding is not news.

Small, local and online-only publications like WYdaily take the leftovers. Theyre a bit more blog-like, but they get the job done more or less.
Yeah, newspapers, magazines, dvds, etc are dead. Printed news is inherently several hours behind and most of it seems like opinion pieces anyway. I think the last newspaper I took in was the Fairfax Journal because it covered my, then, local community that was otherwise ignored. That was 25 years ago.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
09-15-2020 05:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.