Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College Basketball Tiers
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
College Basketball Tiers
Another thread delved into a conversation about college basketball "blue bloods." The general consensus seems to be that six are in that group, in order from west to east: UCLA, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, UNC, and Duke.

Who belongs in the next tier, and the one after, and so on?

Going completely off the top of my head, without looking at win totals, win percentages, Final Four totals, whatever, I would throw in these schools in the almost-blue blood category:

UConn
Villanova
Louisville
Syracuse
Michigan State
Michigan
Arizona

Then below that tier:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Georgetown
Maryland
Virginia
Ohio State
Wisconsin?

Beyond that, it gets less clear.

Again these aren't listed in order, nor am I dead set on the list. Just curious about others' opinions.
09-13-2020 04:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: College Basketball Tiers
Swap Illinois for Wisconsin. Wisconsin’s hockey team outdrew its basketball team for most of its history.

Wisconsin went 47 years without making an NCAA Tournament.
09-13-2020 05:24 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
Schools that should also get consideration:
Florida
Arkansas
NC State
Marquette
UNLV

All have won national titles and had extended years of success.
09-13-2020 05:45 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(09-13-2020 04:59 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  Another thread delved into a conversation about college basketball "blue bloods." The general consensus seems to be that six are in that group, in order from west to east: UCLA, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, UNC, and Duke.

Going completely off the top of my head, without looking at win totals, win percentages, Final Four totals, whatever, I would throw in these schools in the almost-blue blood category:

UConn
Villanova
Louisville
Syracuse
Michigan State
Michigan
Arizona

Then below that tier:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Georgetown
Maryland
Virginia
Ohio State
Wisconsin?

Again these aren't listed in order, nor am I dead set on the list. Just curious about others' opinions.

I'll be curious to see how folks weigh in on this one, MinR.

I like the six blue bloods you have but would almost certainly add Syracuse.

All the teams in your "near blue blood" grouping make sense. However, I would add some to give that tier about 12 programs.

Then in Tier 3 I would have about 25 to 30 programs.

So my three tiers would include a collective 45 to 50 programs.

The equivalent in college football would be a three-tier ranking with about 20 to 25 programs.
09-13-2020 06:11 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
My top 9 is easy: Connecticut, Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan St, North Carolina, UCLA

#10 is more difficult but I’m leaving hard towards Villanova.
09-13-2020 06:27 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
UConn > Indiana
09-13-2020 06:56 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(09-13-2020 06:56 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  UConn > Indiana

Recently, yes. Both have had their day in the sun, but Indiana's day was earlier and longer (which is a major criteria for blue blood status). If UConn can get back to where Calhoun brought them and sustain it for a decade or more, they could move up. But blood doesn't turn blue in only 20 years.
09-13-2020 07:48 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-13-2020 04:59 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  Another thread delved into a conversation about college basketball "blue bloods." The general consensus seems to be that six are in that group, in order from west to east: UCLA, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, UNC, and Duke.

UConn
Villanova
Louisville
Syracuse
Michigan State
Michigan
Arizona

Then below that tier:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Georgetown
Maryland
Virginia
Ohio State
Wisconsin?

Don't think Michigan should be in 2nd group, probably 3rd. Cincinnati and Virginia don't belong in the 3rd group. Memphis and Maryland probably not either. Florida has probably moved into 3rd group. Illinois probably belongs with the other Big 10 schools in that tier. NCSU also. Marquette is 2nd tier.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2020 08:15 PM by bullet.)
09-13-2020 08:15 PM
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga

UConn
Villanova
Louisville
Syracuse
Michigan State
Michigan
Arizona

Then below that tier:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Georgetown
Maryland
Virginia
Ohio State
Wisconsin?

I'm surprised Gonzaga isn't up there. They have been in the NCAA tournament for the last 21 years to various moments of success. For the immediate future I don't see that changing tell at the very least Mark Few leaves. He may have at least 5 to 10 years left to coach left in him. National championships help but I would say current success outshines stuff that happened 30-40 years ago.
09-13-2020 08:30 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(09-13-2020 08:30 PM)46566 Wrote:  

UConn
Villanova
Louisville
Syracuse
Michigan State
Michigan
Arizona

Then below that tier:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Georgetown
Maryland
Virginia
Ohio State
Wisconsin?

I'm surprised Gonzaga isn't up there. They have been in the NCAA tournament for the last 21 years to various moments of success. For the immediate future I don't see that changing tell at the very least Mark Few leaves. He may have at least 5 to 10 years left to coach left in him. National championships help but I would say current success outshines stuff that happened 30-40 years ago.

Bad oversight on my part. I don't know why they didn't come to mind.
09-13-2020 08:35 PM
ccbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
The top 6 is pretty set with UCLA, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, UNC, and Duke with Indiana maybe falling out if they don't do something soon.

The next tier I think you still need at least 2 championships to be part of.

UConn
Villanova
Louisville
Michigan State
Florida

After that its

Syracuse
Michigan
Arizona
Cincinnati
Georgetown

Programs after this either have one championship and no consistency or consistency but no championships. Like the Memphis, Maryland, Virginia, Gonzaga, Illinois, Wisconsin, Arkansas, ect
09-13-2020 08:37 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-13-2020 08:35 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

UConn
Villanova
Louisville
Syracuse
Michigan State
Michigan
Arizona

Then below that tier:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Georgetown
Maryland
Virginia
Ohio State
Wisconsin?

That’s not an oversight at all. Gonzaga doesn’t fit any definition of blueblood. They have 2 NCAA appearances before Few.
09-13-2020 08:50 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
(09-13-2020 07:48 PM)ken d Wrote:  

Recently, yes. Both have had their day in the sun, but Indiana's day was earlier and longer (which is a major criteria for blue blood status). If UConn can get back to where Calhoun brought them and sustain it for a decade or more, they could move up. But blood doesn't turn blue in only 20 years.

Indiana hasn't been relevant in 30 years. All their success is ancient history. UConn's run under Calhoun was like the 3rd or 4th strongest in NCAA history. They've completely eclipsed Indiana.
09-13-2020 10:24 PM
virgosports Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(09-13-2020 08:37 PM)ccbfan Wrote:  The top 6 is pretty set with UCLA, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, UNC, and Duke with Indiana maybe falling out if they don't do something soon.

The next tier I think you still need at least 2 championships to be part of.

UConn
Villanova
Louisville
Michigan State
Florida

After that its

Syracuse
Michigan
Arizona
Cincinnati
Georgetown

Programs after this either have one championship and no consistency or consistency but no championships. Like the Memphis, Maryland, Virginia, Gonzaga, Illinois, Wisconsin, Arkansas, ect

Cincinnati has two championships and N.C. state may also but I don’t remember. In addition Georgetown seems to be a tier below.
09-13-2020 11:25 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-13-2020 10:24 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(09-13-2020 07:48 PM)ken d Wrote:  

Indiana hasn't been relevant in 30 years. All their success is ancient history. UConn's run under Calhoun was like the 3rd or 4th strongest in NCAA history. They've completely eclipsed Indiana.

Indiana could be the Vanderbilt family. UConn could be Bill Gates. Indiana is still the blueblood of the two.
09-13-2020 11:49 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
I would put Butler in before Indiana as Bluebloods. They have outshine the Hoosiers for a long time now.
09-14-2020 12:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

Butler went 35 years without appearing in the NCAA Tournament.
09-14-2020 12:12 AM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &

UConn
Villanova
Louisville
Syracuse
Michigan State
Michigan
Arizona

Then below that tier:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Georgetown
Maryland
Virginia
Ohio State
Wisconsin?

I think Indiana has lost their blue-blood status. They have been mostly irrelevant since well before Knight left except for a fluke run under Mike Davis. UCONN deserves to be at the top of the second tier, even though at least one, maybe two of their titles are flukish. Louisville and Michigan state would be 3rd and fourth in my second tier. I'd put Florida in the third tier. They've won 2 titles but it was one team back to back, with one coach. You measure an elite program by championship numbers, with how many coaches, over how long a time
My picks, in order, except best of the rest..

Tier one: Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, UNC, Kansas

Tier two: UCONN, Indiana, Louisville, Michigan St, Villanova, NC State

Tier three: Syracuse, Michigan, Florida, Arizona

Best of the rest: Cincinnati, Memphis, Georgetown, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio State
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2020 12:59 AM by BatonRougeEscapee.)
09-14-2020 12:41 AM
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
(09-13-2020 08:50 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(09-13-2020 08:35 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

UConn
Villanova
Louisville
Syracuse
Michigan State
Michigan
Arizona

Then below that tier:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Georgetown
Maryland
Virginia
Ohio State
Wisconsin?

That’s not an oversight at all. Gonzaga doesn’t fit any definition of blueblood. They have 2 NCAA appearances before Few.

Though they pretty much match UCLA in elite 8 and Sweet Sixteen numbers since 2000 and tie as a national runners up. I think UCLA has 1 more final four nod then Gonzaga. Though UCLA hasn't won a NCAA championship in 25 years. Most kids now haven't seen Gonzaga not in a NCAA tournament game. The 20 years Few has been in charge they could be considered a blue blood basketball school. Now they could drop off after he leaves but untill then the could recruit just as well as any other top tier school.
09-14-2020 12:45 AM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
(09-14-2020 12:02 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  I would put Butler in before Indiana as Bluebloods. They have outshine the Hoosiers for a long time now.

Totally ridiculous, which is par for your course. Butler would be lucky to make a top 50 all-time list
09-14-2020 12:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.