Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Luke #1
Bookmark and Share
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Luke #1
Here’s the annual Yahoo Sports list of the top 20 Group of Five coaches who could draw interest from bigger programs. And as a bonus, there’s also five FCS coaches who have emerged on the radar. (If, of course, there’s much movement on the coaching carousel this year. We dove into that topic yesterday on Yahoo Sports.)

1. Luke Fickell, Cincinnati
Luke Fickell, 47, was targeted by Michigan State last season, and both Baylor and Florida State showed interest. At 22-5 the last two years, he’s emerged as the clear-cut top coach in the Group of Five. His buyout starts at $4 million, which in most financial climates won’t scare off a blue blood. Will his son’s commitment keep him at Cincinnati?

2. Bryan Harsin, Boise State
Harsin, 43, has flirted with a few jobs, but the interest in him has yet to match his ambition. He’s 43-11 the past four years and won the Fiesta Bowl after the 2014 season. Can the relentless winning lift him to the level of job needed to depart his alma mater?

3. Billy Napier, Louisiana
In a cycle when his name became red hot after an 11-3 season, Napier stayed patient and appreciates what he has in Lafayette. He turned down interviews at Ole Miss and Mississippi State. He interviewed with Baylor, but his judiciousness showed he won’t jump at just anything. Could Napier, 41, be the next Saban disciple to end up in the SEC?

4. Josh Heupel, UCF
His buyout drops from $10 million to $4.6 million after UCF’s bowl game, which puts him in play for high-profile jobs. He’s 22-4 overall, but keeping that pace this season with 10 opt-outs will be a challenge. Heupel has shown zero desire to leave UCF, which is a better job than many lower-tier Power Five jobs.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2020 11:03 AM by doss2.)
09-09-2020 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Luke #1
Stack this on top of all the great publicity the 'Cats are getting this year and UC's visibility continues to rise. CFP talk, preseason rankings and the Fickell/Freeman extensions are creating a lot of anticipation for this shortened season.

We all know that when Fickell is ready to leave he'll have plenty of schools willing to open their checkbooks. Thankfully, he seems ready to stay and if that's two more years or twenty more, I intend to enjoy the ride and hope that it leads our program to a national profile that elevates UC's profile for the ACC or B12 sooner rather than later.

09-09-2020 12:54 PM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(09-09-2020 11:02 AM)doss2 Wrote:  Here’s the annual Yahoo Sports list of the top 20 Group of Five coaches who could draw interest from bigger programs. And as a bonus, there’s also five FCS coaches who have emerged on the radar. (If, of course, there’s much movement on the coaching carousel this year. We dove into that topic yesterday on Yahoo Sports.)

Luke Fickell, 47, was targeted by Michigan State last season, and both Baylor and Florida State showed interest. At 22-5 the last two years, he’s emerged as the clear-cut top coach in the Group of Five. His buyout starts at $4 million, which in most financial climates won’t scare off a blue blood. Will his son’s commitment keep him at Cincinnati?

Harsin, 43, has flirted with a few jobs, but the interest in him has yet to match his ambition. He’s 43-11 the past four years and won the Fiesta Bowl after the 2014 season. Can the relentless winning lift him to the level of job needed to depart his alma mater?

In a cycle when his name became red hot after an 11-3 season, Napier stayed patient and appreciates what he has in Lafayette. He turned down interviews at Ole Miss and Mississippi State. He interviewed with Baylor, but his judiciousness showed he won’t jump at just anything. Could Napier, 41, be the next Saban disciple to end up in the SEC?

4. Josh Heupel, UCF
His buyout drops from $10 million to $4.6 million after UCF’s bowl game, which puts him in play for high-profile jobs. He’s 22-4 overall, but keeping that pace this season with 10 opt-outs will be a challenge. Heupel has shown zero desire to leave UCF, which is a better job than many lower-tier Power Five jobs.

It's good to see some acknowledgement of this from the media. Sure - we could lose our coach to a Notre Dame or OSU. And who can ***** about that? But the notion that a place like IU or Purdue is better just by virtue of P5 was never true (even though Lyle Allen sure couldn't resist taking the bait).

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2020 01:06 PM by MickMack.)
09-09-2020 01:06 PM
bww Offline
McCuse

I Root For: Bearcats
So Doss, does Cloran still say that Fickle will never be HC up north?

09-09-2020 01:33 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
I like that several of our conference-mates are rising at the same time we are.

It will help UC if we can get real respect for wins over UCF & Memphis in the same way that OSU gets respect for wins over Michigan State & Wisconsin.

09-09-2020 02:11 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-09-2020 01:33 PM)bww Wrote:  So Doss, does Cloran still say that Fickle will never be HC up north?

Who is Cloran?

09-09-2020 02:16 PM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2020 02:11 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I like that several of our conference-mates are rising at the same time we are.

It will help UC if we can get real respect for wins over UCF & Memphis in the same way that OSU gets respect for wins over Michigan State & Wisconsin.

Good point. If UC wants to keep CFP talk alive, wins over ranked UCF and Memphis will only strengthen that narrative.

09-09-2020 03:05 PM
bww Offline
McCuse

(09-09-2020 02:16 PM)doss2 Wrote:  
(09-09-2020 01:33 PM)bww Wrote:  So Doss, does Cloran still say that Fickle will never be HC up north?

Who is Cloran?

Come on! It's your neighbor's son who is the assoc AD up there....

09-09-2020 03:44 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(09-09-2020 01:06 PM)MickMack Wrote:  
(09-09-2020 11:02 AM)doss2 Wrote:  Here’s the annual Yahoo Sports list of the top 20 Group of Five coaches who could draw interest from bigger programs. And as a bonus, there’s also five FCS coaches who have emerged on the radar. (If, of course, there’s much movement on the coaching carousel this year. We dove into that topic yesterday on Yahoo Sports.)

4. Josh Heupel, UCF

It's good to see some acknowledgement of this from the media. Sure - we could lose our coach to a Notre Dame or OSU. And who can ***** about that? But the notion that a place like IU or Purdue is better just by virtue of P5 was never true (even though Lyle Allen sure couldn't resist taking the bait).

Heupel is now entering his third year at UCF and had not seen the offers CLF has had. He certainly has nothing enticing like the MSU job. We have the advantage of Fick being an Ohio guy- JH is from South Dakota and played at Oklahoma. Would anyone be surprised if he took a B12, PAC12 or even an SEC job (he was a coordinator at Missouri for two seasons).

09-09-2020 03:50 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Big Fick is indeed big right now. And, he's still the coach at UC. Keep the name bites/recognition comin'...

09-09-2020 06:11 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-09-2020 03:44 PM)bww Wrote:  

Who is Cloran?

Not the right one

09-09-2020 07:55 PM
Advertisement

McLovin Offline
Water Engineer

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/a-different...07884.html

The statement made at the Iowa St camp at Mount St. Joe's and making his son commit twice (with conviction). Classic.

09-10-2020 08:16 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(09-09-2020 07:55 PM)doss2 Wrote:  
(09-09-2020 03:44 PM)bww Wrote:  

Who is Cloran?

Not the right one

my low-level sources and one doner that puts Doss to shame indicate Fickell is not the type of coach OSU is looking for anymore... That said if he takes UC to a playoff or something I am sure minds can be changed.

09-10-2020 09:02 AM
Dannyboy Offline
All American

At this point tO$U will only hire the best of the best when it comes to coaches. I don’t blame them. They’re at the top, they do what they want. I think Fick would have to have several more great years without any down years before they’d consider him.

09-10-2020 09:07 AM
natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
(09-10-2020 09:07 AM)Dannyboy Wrote:  At this point tO$U will only hire the best of the best when it comes to coaches. I don’t blame them. They’re at the top, they do what they want. I think Fick would have to have several more great years without any down years before they’d consider him.

Yeah I think he needs at least 1 NYD bowl victory before consideration.

That is unless he just rattles off 5 straight years of 9+ wins. Ohio State fans still love Luke and Freeman.

Regardless, Ryan Day has absolutely dominated recruiting this year and has already proven to be a good coach. There was talk that he was an NFL guy if he had success at OSU, but he seems to be catching the Buckeye bug to me. Only concern I have with Ohio State is did the Big 10 just F the whole conference over this year with the handling of Covid. We'll see.

I'm happy Luke is on this list, received a well deserved raise, and got his assistants a raise. He's already proven to me he is loyal and seems to have caught the Cincy bug a bit (Seems very happy here). Only a few schools out there I'm scared of at the moment. Enjoy the ride! This could be our statue guy!

09-10-2020 09:49 AM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(09-10-2020 09:07 AM)Dannyboy Wrote:  At this point tO$U will only hire the best of the best when it comes to coaches. I don’t blame them. They’re at the top, they do what they want. I think Fick would have to have several more great years without any down years before they’d consider him.

Yes and no. I mean look at their last hire Ryan Day. He has NFL position coach experience, but college wise he only had OC experience at Temple and BC. His only HC experience were the 3 interim games he filled in for Urban before being named the full-time coach.

Point being it's not like he showed extensive success anywhere as the head man. And he didn't build a program or anything. He's been a great hire, but I'm not sure it's fair to say he had proven to be the best of the best in college coaching when he was hired.

Bringing it back to CLF, what exactly is it that OSU wants in their next coach that CLF couldn't provide? I hope it never comes to that for our sake, but I don't buy this notion that OSU wouldn't be looking to hire CLF if they had an opening. He'd have to be at or near the top of their list as things stand right now.

09-10-2020 01:24 PM
Advertisement

Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(09-10-2020 08:16 AM)McLovin Wrote:  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/a-different...07884.html

The statement made at the Iowa St camp at Mount St. Joe's and making his son commit twice (with conviction). Classic.

Bump. It is a great read that will somehow make any UC fan love CLF even more. I'da probably gave it its own thread, but I didn't want to step on your toes so bump it is.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020 02:14 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
09-10-2020 01:36 PM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(09-10-2020 01:36 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(09-10-2020 08:16 AM)McLovin Wrote:  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/a-different...07884.html

Bump. It is a great read that will somehow make any UC fan love CLF even more. I'da probably gave it its own thread, but I didn't' want to step on your toes so bump it is.

Loved that article.

09-10-2020 01:56 PM
natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
(09-10-2020 01:24 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  

Yes and no. I mean look at their last hire Ryan Day. He has NFL position coach experience, but college wise he only had OC experience at Temple and BC. His only HC experience were the 3 interim games he filled in for Urban before being named the full-time coach.

Point being it's not like he showed extensive success anywhere as the head man. And he didn't build a program or anything. He's been a great hire, but I'm not sure it's fair to say he had proven to be the best of the best in college coaching when he was hired.

Bringing it back to CLF, what exactly is it that OSU wants in their next coach that CLF couldn't provide? I hope it never comes to that for our sake, but I don't buy this notion that OSU wouldn't be looking to hire CLF if they had an opening. He'd have to be at or near the top of their list as things stand right now.

I agree 100%. Urban Meyer was perfect place perfect timing situation. It's not very often that caliber of coach is just floating around. Sure Urban elevated them to the top echelon of college football, but Ohio State won't be able to get a Dabo/Saban type of coach unless it's perfect timing again. Fickell is literally a mix of Tressel and Urban what more could they ask for LOL.

IMO, Fickell checks all the boxes once he get's some prime time wins (UCF style in conference wins, Nebraska if we played this year, ND next year) and a big season or two (NYD bowls). He can find the guys to recruit nationally at their level if needed. But who gives a crap I don't see that job opening up for a bit. He is Cincinnati's coach for the time being! Maybe we do get a P5 invite in next 5 years and he says F it at that point anyways and just stays. Who knows.

09-10-2020 01:59 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

Exactly captured why fans love him so much. It’s why he is so admired by OSU fans still to this day, why UC fans have grown to love him, and also why he is successful!

09-10-2020 04:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.