Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marcus Freeman on Columbus 97.1 the Fan Coming Up -- Listen Online
Bookmark and Share
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Marcus Freeman on Columbus 97.1 the Fan Coming Up -- Listen Online
Hey everyone. I'm listening to our local ESPN affiliate up here in Columbus and Bishop and Laurinaitis will be having Marcus Freeman on "at the bottom of the hour" -- so I assume between 11:30 and noon. Laurinaitis is close friends with Freeman since they played together at OSU, and both hosts have adopted Cincinnati as their team this season, so should be an interesting interview. You can tune in by clicking the play button at the top of their website: https://www.971thefan.com/

09-02-2020 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

RE: Marcus Freeman on Columbus 97.1 the Fan Coming Up -- Listen Online
I'll post the link to the recording later for anyone who misses it. The morning show usually gets uploaded to their website in the late afternoon/early evening.

09-02-2020 10:22 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

Just went to commercial break and then he'll be on, so in 3-4 minutes.

09-02-2020 10:31 AM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I won't be able to listen but would love to read a brief synopsis if anyone has time to post it here.

09-02-2020 10:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

Notes from the interview:

- They are working on defending the triple option this week to prepare for Army.
- Holding players accountable for their safety, and encouraging players to police themselves and each other if someone is going out, doing things they aren't supposed to.
- He was nervous when the Big Ten shut down, because there was the fear the other conferences would follow. Most important thing is giving his players the opportunity to compete, and he's thankful there will be a season.
- He really loves being in the coaching profession. Always wanted to be around football, but as he matures as a coach, the reason why he coaches is making an impact on the young men he works with.
- Having James Wiggins back is huge, and he's a special player. Other players to watch: Coby Bryant, Ahmad Gardner, Myjai Sanders (mentioned he will be an NFL player), Elijah Ponder, Jarrell White.

09-02-2020 10:47 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I'm surprised he didn't mention Vann. I was hoping for a breakout this season.

09-02-2020 11:31 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(09-02-2020 11:31 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I'm surprised he didn't mention Vann. I was hoping for a breakout this season.

The defensive line room is stacked. Vann is still likely a year away from being “the guy”.

09-02-2020 01:28 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(09-02-2020 10:20 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  Hey everyone. I'm listening to our local ESPN affiliate up here in Columbus and Bishop and Laurinaitis will be having Marcus Freeman on "at the bottom of the hour" -- so I assume between 11:30 and noon. Laurinaitis is close friends with Freeman since they played together at OSU, and both hosts have adopted Cincinnati as their team this season, so should be an interesting interview. You can tune in by clicking the play button at the top of their website: https://www.971thefan.com/

Bolded, that's exciting news really. The Bearcats and UC generally could benefit from a higher profile in the capital city and this is a chance to grab just a little "share of mind" with folks up there. As I recall, we have several thousand alumni in that metro and we're seeing increasing numbers of students from central OH enrolling.

It's time to strike while the iron is hot. Can our Columbus alumni organize some home watch parties this fall? Can admissions redouble their efforts in Columbus area high schools? Will Athletics do some targeted email to alumni there reminding them to tune in to watch and support Ohio's only major college football this fall? And provide some swag to favorite watering holes in Columbus as an inducement to get our games on their big screens in the absence of the B10?

Brand building is hard work but UC needs to continue to build awareness through multiple channels to drive home that its Ohio's other major university.

09-02-2020 01:51 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

If we eventually get fans in attendance, I’d like to see James Laurinitis’ father (Hall of Fame Professional Joe “Animal” Laurinitis) at the game. Oooohh what a rush!

09-02-2020 02:10 PM
Banter Offline
1st String

Glad it is Bishop and Laurinitis adopting us and not Carpenter and Rothman...I can't stand Bobby Carpenter.

09-02-2020 02:14 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

Thanks for the notes. Is there a recording available?

(09-02-2020 02:14 PM)Banter Wrote:  Glad it is Bishop and Laurinitis adopting us and not Carpenter and Rothman...I can't stand Bobby Carpenter.

Pretty sure Carpenter has already adopted us as well.

09-02-2020 02:35 PM
Advertisement

BigDawg Offline
All American

Donators
With Fickell and Freeman and no other football options, wereally could capture some serious eyeballs in Columbus and the rest of Ohio. They aren't going to change their allegiance, but I could see us earning quite a few new fans that could root for both schools in the future. A special season could be the turning point for this fan base and really could help boost us up and help our appeal for realignment.

I've heard from a few friends that were looking forward to watching UC games that never really have seen them much.

09-02-2020 02:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(09-02-2020 02:35 PM)BigDawg Wrote:  With Fickell and Freeman and no other football options, wereally could capture some serious eyeballs in Columbus and the rest of Ohio. They aren't going to change their allegiance, but I could see us earning quite a few new fans that could root for both schools in the future. A special season could be the turning point for this fan base and really could help boost us up and help our appeal for realignment.

I've heard from a few friends that were looking forward to watching UC games that never really have seen them much.

I was looking forward to this season anyway, but this is just another reason why I hope we are able to play a full season and that Fick and Co are able to bring home the conference chip this year. Would be a huge boost to the program and help us far beyond a conference championship would in most years.

09-02-2020 02:41 PM
Banter Offline
1st String

(09-02-2020 02:35 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  Thanks for the notes. Is there a recording available?

(09-02-2020 02:14 PM)Banter Wrote:  Glad it is Bishop and Laurinitis adopting us and not Carpenter and Rothman...I can't stand Bobby Carpenter.

Nothing makes me want to vomit more than hearing Carpenter and Schlegel in the mornings...

Aside from my dislike of Bobby... UC really should be using this to do some advertising in the area. Lot of MAC schools have a presence here...its about time UC did the same.

09-03-2020 06:48 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2020 06:48 AM)Banter Wrote:  
(09-02-2020 02:35 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  Thanks for the notes. Is there a recording available?

Nothing makes me want to vomit more than hearing Carpenter and Schlegel in the mornings...

Aside from my dislike of Bobby... UC really should be using this to do some advertising in the area. Lot of MAC schools have a presence here...its about time UC did the same.

Correctomundo.

First, UC should be simulcasting the Coach's Show and all games on radio.

Second, UC should create an Intro to the Bearcats and UC special for those outside Greater Cincinnati to introduce the players, the coaches and the university.

Third, advertise on TV, radio and electronic media.

Fourth, try to pick up a Columbus based sponsor or two for this upcoming season... Wendy's, White Castle, Huntington Bank, Nationwide Insurance, State Auto, Safe Auto, whomever...

Having Fick and to a lesser extent Freeman here is a big conduit to getting eyeballs and ears in the 614/740 area code on what is going down on here.

09-03-2020 07:27 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2020 07:27 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(09-03-2020 06:48 AM)Banter Wrote:  

Correctomundo.

First, UC should be simulcasting the Coach's Show and all games on radio.

Second, UC should create an Intro to the Bearcats and UC special for those outside Greater Cincinnati to introduce the players, the coaches and the university.

Third, advertise on TV, radio and electronic media.

Fourth, try to pick up a Columbus based sponsor or two for this upcoming season... Wendy's, White Castle, Huntington Bank, Nationwide Insurance, State Auto, Safe Auto, whomever...

Having Fick and to a lesser extent Freeman here is a big conduit to getting eyeballs and ears in the 614/740 area code on what is going down on here.

All great ideas for sure. And I was thinking this morning, what if someone from UC athletic marketing or a former player could make the rounds on talk radio throughout the state this season to share, "Top 10 facts you never knew about Cincinnati football," such as the B2B BCS bowls, the amazing history of Nippert (does it pre-date every B10 stadium currently in use? Is it the oldest in OH in continuous use?), the rankings, winning record and bowl record for the past 15 years, all-time greatest players and coaches and of course the feel good story of the Kelce brothers just featured in Sports Illustrated.

If this season happens in three weeks (and the odds are improving it will) UC has been blessed with a unique opportunity for statewide visibility that may never happen again. I hope our A.D. realizes this and "makes hay while the sun shines" as some of our rural Ohioans certainly know is more than just an agricultural truism.

09-03-2020 10:52 AM
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC

It's T bone that hates all things Cincinnati.

09-03-2020 11:50 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2020 11:50 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  

Correct. Bobby Carpenter's brother Jon Carpenter played for UC.

T-Bone is one of those Columbus guys who get mad about the idea of the city down here that borders on Kentucky-- making references to us not being "part of Ohio". He was saying that stuff years ago on air when I lived in Columbus. He doesn't like UC, the Reds, the Bengals or anything that has to do with the 513.

Several years back I was having lunch at the Kroger in the Brewery District when I ran into Paul Keels, T-Bone and a couple others while in-line waiting on some food from the market area. I was wearing a UC jacket and Keels said "Go Bearcats!" T-Bone made some comment to the effect of us "damn Cincinnati guys".

09-03-2020 11:58 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2020 11:58 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

T-Bone is one of those Columbus guys who get mad about the idea of the city down here that borders on Kentucky-- making references to us not being "part of Ohio". He was saying that stuff years ago on air when I lived in Columbus. He doesn't like UC, the Reds, the Bengals or anything that has to do with the 513.

Several years back I was having lunch at the Kroger in the Brewery District when I ran into Paul Keels, T-Bone and a couple others while in-line waiting on some food from the market area. I was wearing a UC jacket and Keels said "Go Bearcats!" T-Bone made some comment to the effect of us "damn Cincinnati guys".

Bolded, don't know, nor have I ever heard T-Bone. But I'll take two shots at why he feels that way and guess one is right:

1. He's among the group of annoyed Ohioans who can't believe a majority of Cincinnatians don't kneel at the altar of the first church of Columbus: OSU.

2. City envy, pure and simple. As someone once said, you can buy a major league franchise but it doesn't make the city major league. Cincinnati has been a major league city for generations. And not just in sports but in Fortune 500 headquarters, music, arts, and culture. Many Ohioans choose to enjoy what our city offers, just as I enjoy visiting attractions in Cleveland. But some in Columbus have suffered from an inferiority complex regarding the history and heritage of their sister cities up and down I-71.

Still, I think there are thousands of open minded Ohioans who will give the Bearcats a serious look for what may be their first time ever. Let's hope we get them on board from an opening victory until a CCG and beyond. Would we be happy being Ohio's other major football team? I think so given the longstanding (but now fading) interests in so many MAC schools in all corners of this state.

09-03-2020 12:55 PM
Banter Offline
1st String

(09-03-2020 12:55 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(09-03-2020 11:58 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Bolded, don't know, nor have I ever heard T-Bone. But I'll take two shots at why he feels that way and guess one is right:

1. He's among the group of annoyed Ohioans who can't believe a majority of Cincinnatians don't kneel at the altar of the first church of Columbus: OSU.

2. City envy, pure and simple. As someone once said, you can buy a major league franchise but it doesn't make the city major league. Cincinnati has been a major league city for generations. And not just in sports but in Fortune 500 headquarters, music, arts, and culture. Many Ohioans choose to enjoy what our city offers, just as I enjoy visiting attractions in Cleveland. But some in Columbus have suffered from an inferiority complex regarding the history and heritage of their sister cities up and down I-71.

Still, I think there are thousands of open-minded Ohioans who will give the Bearcats a serious look for what may be their first time ever. Let's hope we get them on board from an opening victory until a CCG and beyond. Would we be happy being Ohio's other major football team? I think so given the longstanding (but now fading) interests in so many MAC schools in all corners of this state.

I never said Carpenter did not like us, it was more my dislike of him. His personality clashes with mine, and it seems the station had to stop him from talking about his disinterest in hockey, which you could imagine was not a good look. I actually played against Jon in high school. I ran into quite a few UC runningbacks when I played...Carpenter, Ramsey, and Glattihar.

T-Bone is a Columbus guy and a Cleveland fan. He talks about his dislike of Cincinnati the same way us Cincinnati fans (Cats, Reds, Bengals) talk about our dislike of Cleveland. He is a nice enough guy, and gives the Bengals and Reds a pretty fair shake when they talk MLB and NFL.

Lastly...I can assure you, most of us do not have city envy. I think Columbus is just tribal due to not having a pro franchise until 1995 and no Big 4 franchise until 2000. We all had to pick a side, and unfortunately for Cincinnati, their teams have sucked for decades (Reds and Bengals), and it seems like both franchises gave up on the Columbus market, so you have a majority of Cleveland people here.

Most in my age range are all Browns and Indians fans because those teams both put effort into marketing the area. The Browns have done some training camp stuff here (or have talked about it) and The Cavs play exhibition games here. Cincinnati, Its teams, and to a lesser extent UC have all failed to market the area, where Cleveland has succeeded.

09-03-2020 02:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.