Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

YOU get a bowl game. YOU get a bowl game. EVERYBODY gets a bowl game!!!
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
YOU get a bowl game. YOU get a bowl game. EVERYBODY gets a bowl game!!!

USFFan
08-28-2020 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
RE: YOU get a bowl game. YOU get a bowl game. EVERYBODY gets a bowl game!!!
No problem with it on a one time basis, given everything that's happened this year.
08-28-2020 12:35 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Honestly .. would the bowls even want to hold the game, if fans can't travel, and attend the game?
08-28-2020 12:51 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
I like this...anyone who wants a post-season game should have the opportunity to play a game. Limiting the post season allows the good teams to get better. Why not also allow the bad teams to work on improving their games.

Granted that there won’t be much TV money for 3-9 versus 2-10 competitions, but if teams find it worthwhile...then let them play.
08-28-2020 12:52 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Well haven’t a few already cancelled?.

Also it’s not like there have been teams with losing records in a bowl game.
08-28-2020 01:05 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
It's going to be so 2020 to see Arkansas go to a bowl game at 1-9, then win the bowl game.
08-28-2020 01:16 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Honestly, other than the ESPN "made for TV" G5 bowls, I question if any of the major bowls outside of the CFP group make enough from TV to be profitable if they can only sell 20-25% of their normal seating capacity. I suspect a lot of middle tier bowls that lie between the CFP bowls and bottom end G5 ESPN bowls will end up cancelling.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2020 01:20 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-28-2020 01:19 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
I am usually 100% against participation trophies, but under these covid circumstances, if a team makes it through a whole season and there is a bowl game that wants them ... sure, why not, put them in a bowl game. Everyone who plays deserves a reward, IMO.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2020 01:55 PM by quo vadis.)
08-28-2020 01:55 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-28-2020 01:19 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Honestly, other than the ESPN "made for TV" G5 bowls, I question if any of the major bowls outside of the CFP group make enough from TV to be profitable if they can only sell 20-25% of their normal seating capacity. I suspect a lot of middle tier bowls that lie between the CFP bowls and bottom end G5 ESPN bowls will end up cancelling.

Yes, the economic rationale for most bowl games that lose money on tickets is that they bring in tourism that boosts the local hotels, restaurants, etc. But obviously that isn't happening this year, so ....
08-28-2020 01:57 PM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(08-28-2020 12:51 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Honestly .. would the bowls even want to hold the game, if fans can't travel, and attend the game?

They may want to -- if the pandemic has died down by then, people will be ready to travel.

I think this becomes a watch and see. Bowls could easily get cancelled as well. It coudl go either way.
08-28-2020 02:25 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-28-2020 12:51 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Honestly .. would the bowls even want to hold the game, if fans can't travel, and attend the game?

This is what I was thinking until I thought about the fact the bowl games do receive revenue from TV so maybe this is why they would have these games.
08-28-2020 04:30 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(08-28-2020 01:19 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Honestly, other than the ESPN "made for TV" G5 bowls, I question if any of the major bowls outside of the CFP group make enough from TV to be profitable if they can only sell 20-25% of their normal seating capacity. I suspect a lot of middle tier bowls that lie between the CFP bowls and bottom end G5 ESPN bowls will end up cancelling.

One could make a case for ESPN leasing the rights to these bowls for 2020 for programming alone.
08-28-2020 06:47 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(08-28-2020 02:25 PM)megadrone Wrote:  

They may want to -- if the pandemic has died down by then, people will be ready to travel.

I think this becomes a watch and see. Bowls could easily get cancelled as well. It coudl go either way.

I would love it if they did .... and you are dead right -- the appetite to go bowling would be enormous if the covid issue was removed -- either by cratering numbers OR an effective vaccine.

I am clueless on how these committees plan for their event. When would their last date to make a call on cancelling the bowl be?
08-28-2020 07:03 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-28-2020 06:47 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

One could make a case for ESPN leasing the rights to these bowls for 2020 for programming alone.

They already have the rights to almost all these bowl games. The only solution would be for ESPN to up the rights fee enough to make it at least a break even proposition.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2020 11:29 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-29-2020 11:28 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(08-29-2020 11:28 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-28-2020 06:47 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

They already have the rights to almost all these bowl games. The only solution would be for ESPN to up the rights fee enough to make it at least a break even proposition.

I was referring to the right to put on the bowl game, not the television rights.
08-29-2020 12:56 PM
TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
A better idea would be to let some teams play in two bowls. Win your first, play another.
08-29-2020 04:29 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
For schools for whom a bowl game would not cause them to have played more than 12 games, I'm not sure the requirement for a .500 record would even come into play. The same principle would also be true for a conference that didn't have ten teams willing to play if they want to stage a CCG without a waiver.
08-29-2020 06:27 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
If some of the 6 leagues that called off football start in November (I don't think they will, but humor me), I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them filling spots in bowl games.
08-30-2020 10:21 AM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State

The Sun Bowl is one of those bowls that is more for the locals and does not rely on fans from the teams involved. Sure, it's nice if let's say Arizona State and Georgia Tech bring thousands of fans but the world is not going to end for the Sunnies (as the Sun Bowl committee is usually called) if only a couple hundred fans from each school show up. When Notre Dame and Miami were announced ten years ago, the locals (not the fans from the teams involved) bought all the tickets in less than two hours. The Sunnies and the mostly Catholic town of El Paso always dreamed of having Notre Dame there. The Sun won't have any trouble filling the stands at 25% capacity or even at half capacity.

The bowls where I can see they might be in trouble are like the New Mexico, Frisco, Potato, First Responders, Cactus, etc. I could see bowls out West like Las Vegas, Emerald or whatever is called now, Holiday and the other Phoenix bowl getting priority over the ones I mentioned before.
08-30-2020 01:15 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-30-2020 01:15 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  

The Sun Bowl is one of those bowls that is more for the locals and does not rely on fans from the teams involved.

Yes, the community takes pride in the Sun Bowl, which is one reason it's one of the very best bowls. It was so cool when USF got to play there, even though we ended up getting shellacked.
08-30-2020 01:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.